OMG seriously? I need to stop watching TLC. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-04-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, I know, watching all the baby shows on TLC is just asking to find something to be angry about. I can't help it... it's like a train wreck. I can't turn away.

Anyhow, I was watching Bringing Home Baby this morning, and this woman was having some latch issues w/her baby and baby having a lot of gas. They finally called a Lactation Consultant, and she told them to alternate with formula and breast! WTF??!!? That is NOT how you solve a latch issue. Wow. I cannot believe someone like that still has a job.

Then the mother, who originally was determined to breastfeed, states "I don't care if I can't breast feed her, as long as she's happy and healthy."

If this is how some of our breastfeeding professionals are treating BFing issues, no WONDER we're such a formula-dependent society with so many health issues that are no doubt at least partially related to the mass use of formula.

-
#2 of 21 Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 AM

I totally agree with you!! Those shows are how many american women learn about preg/birth

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#3 of 21 Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 AM

I saw a show where this women brought home her newborn and when they went to bed that nite she put him in his crib and walked down the hall to her own room. She couldn't understand why he kept crying but would stop when he was being held. Ummm, hello, bad parent!!!! Completely clueless!
#4 of 21 Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM

It probably comes from her own parents or friends telling her that she'll spoil the baby if he/she is held so much. I get that alot (from our family) - but honestly, if the baby is crying and it is within my power to soothe him, then soothe him I will! -now if it is just a little fussy, squirmy-ness as he is trying to go to, or go back to sleep, I leave him alone and see if he will go to, or back to, sleep.

As for TLC, so many of those shows did not help me prepare for, or deal with having a new baby. (I watched them anyway, couldn't help it!) It did cement in me my ideals and commitment to my birth plan -at the time, anyway. And confirm for me that our current system of maternity care sucks for mom and baby - most of the time -

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 21 Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM

akind1 - couldn't help it either, but I can't watch them anymore! It was the rare show that actually showed the way it should be. My mom has always said we should be like the primates and just strap that child to us for a year! My husband's family comes from the "let them cry it out" thinking, so I basically never leave her with him! We have such a short time in their lives where we can control everything and a child can never have too much love! Or boobie milk!
#6 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM

I think most of those shows are toxic and very sad to watch.

I wish there was at least one that would show some AP approaches to baby, and more natural births.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#7 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a hard time watching these too. So much misinformation. Sad
#8 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 04:53 PM

I used to love those shows, now they make me so sick, sad, and disgusted. (C/S mainstream and then HBAC MDC mama)

I even asked my hubby if I could apply to the show "A baby story" when planning my homebirth.
#9 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 05:43 PM

lc and ibclc two very different things.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#10 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 PM

The last time I got sucked in to one of those shows I wound up yelling at the tv. The mom was insisting that the baby couldn't need to nurse because it wasn't time and the dr said babies were only supposed to nurse every 3 hours. Seriously most of the show was them walking the baby around trying to get him/her to stop crying while I was yelling "Feed the baby!, Feed the baby!" at the TV.

For my mental health I try to avoid those shows now.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#11 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Yes! I so agree I need to stop as well. They never tell moms, the correct strategies to try when the baby has trouble latching on, or if the baby cries that's fine s/he may want more milk. I never heard them tell a new mom breast milk is lighter(calorie wise) than formula, so the infant will nurse longer and more often. The c/s is EXTREME, have u guys ever watched Deliver Me? I had to stop watching that one
#12 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 PM

Oh, yes. I just saw one where a young mom had engorged breasts soon after coming home. Her mom (the grandma) called the LC, who told her she had three options: nurse, pump, or relieve the pressure. So the grandma and the girl decided she should take a shower in the middle of the night to relieve the pressure. I was sitting there yelling NURSE THAT BABY!!! Geez. Of course, then you get a close-up shot of the (branded) bottle of formula in the baby's mouth.

Gah.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#13 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to the Television forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#14 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
Oh, yes. I just saw one where a young mom had engorged breasts soon after coming home. Her mom (the grandma) called the LC, who told her she had three options: nurse, pump, or relieve the pressure. So the grandma and the girl decided she should take a shower in the middle of the night to relieve the pressure. I was sitting there yelling NURSE THAT BABY!!! Geez. Of course, then you get a close-up shot of the (branded) bottle of formula in the baby's mouth.

Gah.
I remember this

I think that Enfamil sponsors those TLC shows, because they show the brand label for it up close (same as Pamper's swaddlers), but then they blur out things like t-shirt designs. I'd guess that the parents have the option for free diapers and formula.

These shows make me so upset, but I watch them all the time anyhow. It's like self-torture. Sometimes though, you get some gems. There was a Bringing Home Baby after a home birth (they started 2 or 3 days PP) and a mama who had nursed all her previous kids into toddlerhood, had a totally natural childbirth with the new twins, cloth diapered them and nursed them. No pampers or formula on that one

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#15 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
The last time I got sucked in to one of those shows I wound up yelling at the tv. The mom was insisting that the baby couldn't need to nurse because it wasn't time and the dr said babies were only supposed to nurse every 3 hours. Seriously most of the show was them walking the baby around trying to get him/her to stop crying while I was yelling "Feed the baby!, Feed the baby!" at the TV.

For my mental health I try to avoid those shows now.
that was me too!
#16 of 21 Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 AM

Like a PP said...I've thought about asking Dh about applying for baby story or bringing home baby. I know my MW has been on a tlc show but I have no idea which one it was. Hopefully someone will see her episode and be clued in!

It's always the same...

go to hospital
mom isn't making progress
pit started
omg baby is freaking out
threats to mom, birth or else
mom births or is sectioned
baby is safe thanks to amazing doctors that saved the day
baby is circed
baby goes home
baby get a branded bottle of crap
mom wants to bf but....
mom gets advice from_____ and continues to give bottle
ffw 12 weeks and baby is on bottle

blagh.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#17 of 21 Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 AM

I'm so glad we don't get TLC anymore. LOL!
#18 of 21 Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyem View Post
I saw a show where this women brought home her newborn and when they went to bed that nite she put him in his crib and walked down the hall to her own room. She couldn't understand why he kept crying but would stop when he was being held. Ummm, hello, bad parent!!!! Completely clueless!
When I finally brought DS home from the hospital (after a 5-day stay in the NICU) my mom was there to meet us with the pup .

So we did the whole unpack-the-baby-from-the-bucket-greet-the-dog-go-pee-ooo-and-ahhhh-over-the-baby, etc etc etc thing and DS fell asleep and I said, "Uhhhhhhh.... what now?"

Because everything for the past week had been one crisis or emergency or hurry up and wait thing after another, and it felt weird to finally be done.

And my mom said, VERY STERNLY, "Now you lay him down and do your own thing. You don't want him to get used to being carried all the time."

Stupid me did it, too.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#19 of 21 Old 03-06-2010, 11:59 AM

I think i stopped watching around the time I saw one that just made me sick. It wasn't even the birth so much as the treatment the poor mother was subjected to. She was overweight, and that was mentioned several times. They were gradually pushing her towards a section, you know how it goes. And suddenly there's this big, sneering nurse standing over her gleefully saying "Well, with a c-section, you're not going to get that sub you've been looking forward to." It was the most snotty, nasty, mean tone of voice I've ever heard.

I felt so bad for that mom. THey really, really harped on the weight thing and then that as the final blow. You're so fat, you can't birth right, and now you can't have that sub, not that you deserve it anyway.
#20 of 21 Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When I was pregnant I watched those shows -gritting my teeth usually. I felt like each show followed a script.

1) women minimally dilated, start her on Pitocin to get her contractions 'moving'

2) watch continual fetal monitor, check strip as much as humanly possible

3) baby appears in distress

4) set up OR for c-section

almost every show was the same
#21 of 21 Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been banned by two husbands from watching birth shows on tv. I get so worked up and yell at the TV. My roommate doesn't mind when I watch because he thinks it's hilarious to watch me get all frazzled. I am soooo tired of seeing women hop right into the bed the second they get to the hospital (barely feeling contractions) and they never get back out again. Even before they get the epi (and they aaaaallll get the epi), they're laying in bed gripping the guard rails and bawling with pain but they still keep laying there on their backs in the bed! It's no wonder you hear everybody say, "I could NEVER have done it natural!" or why so many people think it's so horrifically painful that you MUST have the epidural when this is all they have to go off of!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page