Jamie Oliver's New Show? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 247 Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what soft of "diet" (aka way of eating) he's going to be promoting? I don't want to get my hopes up...

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#2 of 247 Old 03-18-2010, 02:39 PM

My kids attend the school district he's chosen to work with. It looks ok, from what little I've been able to glean. Better than the food they had at their school in TX.

I do wish there was a little more info... I'm going to google.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#3 of 247 Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/

Quote:
Jamie's challenge was to see if he can get a whole community cooking again. He worked with the school lunch ladies and local families to get everyone back in the kitchen and making tasty meals with fresh ingredients – no packets, no cheating. He's started a Food Revolution: to get people all over America to reconnect with their food and change the way they eat.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/news/jami...-revolution-in

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#4 of 247 Old 03-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Hey, nifty.

I contacted my school's principal to see if there's any info from the school level. Their breakfast yesterday was a boiled egg, piece of toast, cereal, milk, and juice. *shrug* Better than the pastry in TX, I guess.

ETA: The principal told me that the chef has not been to my kids school yet.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#5 of 247 Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Here's what I found out from the school principal:
  • It will eventually affect all of the schools.
  • The main change will be to eliminate many of the processed foods from the menu.
  • A chef is making his rounds to the individual schools to work with the cooks regarding the changes.
  • He has just been showing up at a new school as he completes work at a previous school

I have several other emails about it that he was kind enough to forward to me, but those are the basics. As I discover more, I'll post.

http://abc.go.com/shows/jamie-olivers-food-revolution

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...ie-Oliver-show

#6 of 247 Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If it's anything like his FoodTV Network shows, it will be all about whole, fresh, healthy foods.

I can't wait!
#7 of 247 Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
He's started a Food Revolution: to get people all over America to reconnect with their food and change the way they eat.
He started that?
#8 of 247 Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
He started that?
I don't think they're saying he invented the concept but, his show focuses on going into places that have skyrocketing obesity rates, poor diets etc... and he's trying to create a revolution in those places - places where people maybe are uneducated about healthy food choices, unaware of the health implications to themselves and their families from eating processed junk foods etc...
#9 of 247 Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 AM

I saw a couple episodes of the British version and he just wants people to regain their food "literacy" - basically, to be able to cook simple, healthy dishes AND to teach their friends how to do so too. I think Jamie Oliver's raison d'etre at the moment is to do away with packaged, pre-made, processed food. More power to him.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#10 of 247 Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM

I'm so excited for this show! I can't wait!
#11 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 12:16 AM

Anyone catch the premier tonight? It's on again on Friday and I'll watch it again. Friday is a 2-hr episode.

#12 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 12:20 AM

I watched it! It made me cry. I was amazed at the resistance he got from the cooks at the school. And the fact that they really don't know that the food they serve is unhealthy. And I'm not criticizing them in any way, but to be THAT in the dark is astonishing to me. And his emotion at the end of the show really showed his sincerity in his desire to help people. I think I'm hooked!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#13 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 12:40 AM

I'm watching it now. Interesting... and makes me grateful my kids' school lunches aren't near that bad.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 AM

I watched his show back in Europe and he prepares fresh foods, no processed stuff ever.

I'm watching it right now and I don't know if I should cry, be super upset and yelling at the TV or what. People really serve that crap in schools (I had no idea)? That's borderline criminal. Pizza for breakfast, chicken nuggets and hydrogenated oil mashed potatoes for lunch? Are you kidding me? I had no idea anyone would serve that to kids, let alone think that's healthy?! That is royally screwed up.

I can't believe how stubborn those lunch ladies are and how they don't give a rat's behind about the ingredients in the processed stuff they serve. They are not cooks, they heat up processed stuff bought in bulk from Sam's Club. I would never want my kids to even touch such things. Well, that town being in WV I'd be homeschooling anyways (since we don't do vaccines).

I find the nutrition guidelines from the agriculture ministry or whatever it was who dictates what has to be in the lunch menus hideous, outdated, horrible. Two servings of bread have to be there per lunch???? No wonder kiddos are obese. And what kind of bread? They don't care. They give them cheese pizza and hamburger buns. Bon appetit. They are feeding the kids to death, literally.

I'm anxious to see what will happen in that town. I really hope he'll change things and that no school ever will serve such atrocities again. YUCKY.
#15 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 AM

I just watched it and loved it. I'll be watching again on Friday. I guess I'm not surprised at what was served, but the resistance he received was astounding!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#16 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Yeah, those lunch ladies ("cooks") seemed super resistant to change. Don't they care that they are in fact responsible for feeding all those children? I mean, sure, they don't choose the menu, etc., but they literally prepare and serve that crap food to the students every day. You'd think they want to do better! And why don't they have a registered dietitian consulting with the head of the nutrition dept.? I can't imagine how they can justify the foods they serve... even though I know many school districts offer similar garbage every day.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Yeah, those lunch ladies ("cooks") seemed super resistant to change. Don't they care that they are in fact responsible for feeding all those children? I mean, sure, they don't choose the menu, etc., but they literally prepare and serve that crap food to the students every day. You'd think they want to do better! And why don't they have a registered dietitian consulting with the head of the nutrition dept.? I can't imagine how they can justify the foods they serve... even though I know many school districts offer similar garbage every day.
I believe they are just ignorant to how bad this food really is.

I watched ... I was nearly in tears. I LOVED it (and hated the bad food all at the same time).

I was yelling at the tv when they said they needed "2 breads" AHHHHH!!! Our food pyramid is so messed up!!!
#18 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 AM

oooh i love jamie oliver, hes done really well over here (uk) with his school dinners but on the show there were mums pushing burgers and fish and chips through the school gates because they didnt want their children eating what he was making!

the problem with school dinners is that it was invented to feed poor children and because it was their only proper meal in the day it was heavy and filling, and that hadnt changed

i have friends that give their children what i would consider to be a snack at night because they get a meal at school ds gets a cooked meal at home as well.

my boobs are eeeevil.................eeevil i tells ya....
#19 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM

I watched and loved it and will be watching again.

I did feel a lot of sympathy for the lunch ladies though. My DH is from a pretty rural area and while a lot of the people garden and eat what they grow they also just don't know why processed food is bad. They really don't see that much difference , aside from convenience, between real mashed potatoes and processed pearl things.

Did you notice that Alice kept pointing out that the 1st ingredient was whatever the processed food was supposed to be? In her mind that means that the food is chicken or potatoes with just a few things added that make it easier to fix for 450 kids at a time.

The lunch ladies have been feeding these kids this type of food for years and they're following all the rules the government set out for "healthy" school lunches. And now someone, a fancy TV chef from a whole other country no less, is coming in and telling them they've been doing a bad job and that they're making the kids they serve unhealthy and that the food they prepare is crap. That can't be easy to hear, especially when you read in the paper that the guy telling you all these things thinks you're foolish and ignorant.

Hopefully with some education and persistence Jamie can get them on his side because they could be powerful advocates for the kids they serve.

The USDA requirements made me a bit crazy too. Poor Jamie looked shell shocked after his meeting w/ the lady in charge of food for the county.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#20 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 12:22 PM

I watched. I really like him. His belief in simple, good and healthy food is right on. He's down to earth and not self righteous. The USDA is just stupid and unhealthy and all the red tape involved with simply trying to feed kids better in school is maddening. You could tell he had no idea what he was up against on a bureaucratic level or personal level.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#21 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 12:37 PM

I think the grain lobbies had a lot to do with the school lunch program - it came into place just as the US started producing large grain surpluses... it was a cheap, political expedient way of disposing of a lot of grain. Hence the "2 bread servings" for every kid. I wonder if Jamie knows about that... is that show on Food Network? Because chances are good if it is, he's not allowed to talk about that part, what with Kraft and the like being huge sponsors... (sorry, I am speculating, I don't actually have cable and will have to download the show at some point.)

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#22 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Did anyone notice how shockingly pink the milk was?

It's got to be hard when anyone comes in and tries to change the way you've been doing things for years. Alice could have been nicer. I think Jamie was respectful, but his frustration with the food might have made him come across as judgmental to the "lunch ladies." He definitely has his work cut out for him.

I could not believe how much pizza the woman he visited had in her freezer!!!

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#23 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 05:40 PM

I loved it! My DD used to be offered the school lunch but I always send her home lunch.
#24 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 06:52 PM

A huge to all of your posts. On Friday I will be having my kids watch it with us (or I'll record it for them).

Jamie had his work cut out for him. In some of the fliers the principal forwarded to me, there was a PDF of talking points and areas of concern.

*Edit: Original doc link didn't work, see post #27 for the concerns.*

This link is on the fliers I was forwarded:
School Nutrition "Toolkit"

From what I can gather of the flyers promoted by the school system, flavored milk appears to be here to stay. I'm not one who believes my kids actually NEED milk, but if they drink it, I prefer it to be white. No dyes! (Raw is even better, but we all know how the public sees that...)

I really hope the school switches and keeps it because my kids WANT to buy lunches and I'd prefer that they NOT eat chicken nuggets and that weirdo potato pellet slop.

#25 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperRose View Post
A huge to all of your posts. On Friday I will be having my kids watch it with us (or I'll record it for them).

Jamie had his work cut out for him. In some of the fliers the principal forwarded to me, there was a PDF of talking points and areas of concern.

I don't know if this will work, but here's a try. Food Revolution Concerns

This link is on the fliers I was forwarded:
School Nutrition "Toolkit"

From what I can gather of the flyers promoted by the school system, flavored milk appears to be here to stay. I'm not one who believes my kids actually NEED milk, but if they drink it, I prefer it to be white. No dyes! (Raw is even better, but we all know how the public sees that...)

I really hope the school switches and keeps it because my kids WANT to buy lunches and I'd prefer that they NOT eat chicken nuggets and that weirdo potato pellet slop.
Google Docs told it couldn't retrieve the doc. I'd be really interested in seeing it if you would be willing to try again. I think it's really neat that we get to have your perspective on this as someone directly affected by any changes. Thanks for sharing!

Oh and :Puke on the neon pink strawberry milk. For some reason that offends me more than the chocolate. I think because at least chocolate is actually brown. Strawberries are not neon pink. But in reality I doubt the chocolate milk is any better nutrition wise than the strawberry.

#26 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I think the grain lobbies had a lot to do with the school lunch program - it came into place just as the US started producing large grain surpluses... it was a cheap, political expedient way of disposing of a lot of grain. Hence the "2 bread servings" for every kid. I wonder if Jamie knows about that... is that show on Food Network? Because chances are good if it is, he's not allowed to talk about that part, what with Kraft and the like being huge sponsors... (sorry, I am speculating, I don't actually have cable and will have to download the show at some point.)
It's on ABC so if you can use Hulu in BC then you can see it there right now.

#27 of 247 Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
Google Docs told it couldn't retrieve the doc. I'd be really interested in seeing it if you would be willing to try again. I think it's really neat that we get to have your perspective on this as someone directly affected by any changes. Thanks for sharing!
Let me try to C&P here.

Quote:
DO THE MEALS THAT JAMIE OLIVER PROPOSED MEET THE CURRENT FEDERAL NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS?
• A meal nutrient analysis for a three week period indicated that many of the menus used during the
project would need to be addressed to comply with our standards for calories, total fat and
saturated fat (see enclosed nutrient analysis).
• In accordance with federal regulations, the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE)
conducts a School Meals Initiative (SMI) audit of school nutrition programs to ensure all meals meet
state and federal nutrition guidelines.
• Noncompliance with meal pattern and nutrient standard requirements may result in a recovery of
federal funds and WVDE intervention.
• Counties are required to perform internal audits (reviews) of each school site annually and to
ensure that their own nutritional analysis complies with the required standards.

WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES TO IMPLEMENTING THE JAMIE OLIVER PROGRAM IN SCHOOL NUTRITION PROGRAMS?
• According to Cabell County Schools (see attached letter), implementation of the JO project has resulted in increased labor costs to employ more cooks;
increased labor costs associated with training; increased food costs; additional equipment and supplies expenses for necessary items (blitzer, food processor, salad spinner and storage containers); and lost food costs for processed donated commodities that the county cannot use in the program.
• WV school nutrition programs are governed by United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) federal regulations and guidelines. We cannot promulgate state rules that interfere with our agreement with USDA. A statewide implementation of the JO Project would require USDA intervention and approval.

• As a result of the changes taking place, the Cabell County Food Service Program has experienced
some other extra cost.

a) The program has found that schools with 1 ½ cooks cannot do the work required for meal preparation. Currently, three schools are in this situation. The cost to resolve this is an estimated $22,000.00 per year per cook for a ½ time cook to move to a full time position. The total cost is estimated to be $66,000.00, which the program does not have the funds to cover.
b) The meal cost at Central City Elementary during television production more than doubled with ABC Productions paying the excess expense. The cost may be attributed partially to the purchase of hydroponic vegetables, free range chicken and free range mayonnaise, as well as antibiotic/hormone-free ground beef. These items are no longer being purchased. The trainers are asking the program to purchase regular 85/15 ground beef, cooked chicken, and regularly purchased produce, which should reduce cost.
c) It does appear that some items are more expensive as compared to the processed foods. For example, cooked chicken is $.10 more to purchase on the serving than a chicken nugget.
d) It is also costing the program more to produce the meals because it cannot fully utilize the donated foods program. The program cannot use any of the processed foods being shipped in the schools that have rolled over. The county is trying to utilize these items in the schools that have not yet rolled over, but at some time this will result in a surplus the program will have to
work with. The value of donated food purchases last year was $522,974.68. This includes the value of foods, shipping, and processing. The program cannot afford to lose this amount.
e) Cabell County has been part of a cooperative purchasing group with eight other counties that has helped lower prices. The program’s vendor has been working with it to control costs, but many items are priced as market. This is especially true for fresh produce.
f) Items needed at each school for the roll out to continue include a robo coupe blitzer at a cost of $275.00 each (larger schools may need more than one); a food processor at a cost $2945.00 each with larger schools needing more than one; a salad spinner at a cost of $249.00 each; and storage containers at a cost $20.00 per container. Schools need storage containers to store the special sauce and the larger the school, the more containers that are needed.
g) Because the program is still in the process of rolling out schools and there are so many unknown variables at this time, the district cannot yet determine a cost per meal. The district has not placed the new program in schools that offer many choices at lunch. It is still unknown if the roll out will work in these schools.
I REALLY hope this goes through smoothly and ppl can adapt to the change.

#28 of 247 Old 03-23-2010, 12:23 AM

I watched the premiere on Hulu. I think it's an important show. What I like about Jamie Oliver is that he stresses the importance of REAL food, rather than "diet" food. We have one of his cookbooks, and he's not at all shy about using butter, cream, red meat, etc.--but he stresses the importance of quality ingredients. So many people who think they're eating "healthy food"--margarine, 100-calorie packs of various processed snacks, lots of low-fat but conventionally-raised animal products, Lean Cuisine and other "diet" meals, diet soda--when they're just consuming loads and loads of artificial crap.

We had my ILs over for dinner (lovely people, by the way) and they were shocked, truly shocked, by the fact that we are willing to pay a lot more money for quality ingredients and that we are willing to take the time to cook from scratch.
#29 of 247 Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperRose View Post
Let me try to C&P here.

I REALLY hope this goes through smoothly and ppl can adapt to the change.
I hope Jamie Oliver or someone will end up going up to bat with the politicians to stress the importance of these changes. If they can weigh these costs against projected savings in health care costs, maybe someone will get a clue about the value of the $250 salad spinner.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#30 of 247 Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace and Granola View Post
I hope Jamie Oliver or someone will end up going up to bat with the politicians to stress the importance of these changes. If they can weigh these costs against projected savings in health care costs, maybe someone will get a clue about the value of the $250 salad spinner.
Ohhh...good point!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page