A Baby Story - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the show MDC moms love to hate (or love, depending on the episode).

I've been DVR'ing it.

Let's discuss...

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 23 Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm watching one where they're having their first baby. The mom had wanted a natural birth but was talked into an epidural by "Katie," (the doctor/nurse who was there). Now Katie is telling the mom that the baby won't fit through her pelvis. Katie told her that she would probably need a c-section.

#3 of 23 Old 05-15-2010, 11:24 PM

I had to stop watching this show. It only made me upset.

joy.giflurk.gif

#4 of 23 Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thank God that we don't watch TV anymore!!!

The one thing I would like to see on the show....Go to a LLL meeting.
swede likes this.
#5 of 23 Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 AM

I've been watching "A Baby Story" for the past couple of days. I caught the last fifteen minutes of an episode today and got so frustrated by the end. The mother arrived at the hospital and she wasn't dilated at all. I guess her water had broken because I couldn't figure out why else she would have gone to the hospital. When she was ready to push, the nurse encouraged her to push. The doctor wasn't there. He was at home and had to be called in. Just as the baby was ready to come out, the nurse said, "You can't push the baby out. The doctor isn't here yet." The mother had to push so bad and held off because the doctor wasn't there yet. I can't imagine how she did that. I would have said, "Screw that. I'm pushing, whether the doctor shows up or not."

I don't know why I watch "A Baby Story". It gets to me every time! :p

#6 of 23 Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

Thank God that we don't watch TV anymore!!!

The one thing I would like to see on the show....Go to a LLL meeting.

Bravo!

#7 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but MAN this dude Dr. Hux, who is in like every other episode, is the king of c sections, as well as inductions leading to c sections. He's gotta make a cut (pun intended) every time he does a c/s. In one ep, seriously, she was in labor for like 7 hours (after an induction of course), and he was counseling her about how LONG it's been, how shes not progressing FAST enough, and we need to get this baby OUT (there was no real or imagined emergency either). God this guy irritates me. All of 7 hours? If only all labor were that short!

Sometimes there will be natural birth eps, and I love those. :-)

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#8 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius aspiring View Post

I've been watching "A Baby Story" for the past couple of days. I caught the last fifteen minutes of an episode today and got so frustrated by the end. The mother arrived at the hospital and she wasn't dilated at all. I guess her water had broken because I couldn't figure out why else she would have gone to the hospital. When she was ready to push, the nurse encouraged her to push. The doctor wasn't there. He was at home and had to be called in. Just as the baby was ready to come out, the nurse said, "You can't push the baby out. The doctor isn't here yet." The mother had to push so bad and held off because the doctor wasn't there yet. I can't imagine how she did that. I would have said, "Screw that. I'm pushing, whether the doctor shows up or not."

I don't know why I watch "A Baby Story". It gets to me every time! orngtongue.gif

I saw this episode too and I was shocked SHOCKED at the nurse telling her not to push cus the doctor wasn't there yet. GAH!! This show infuriates me all the time!

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#9 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Attending hospital births, I've gotten the feeling that nurses get yelled at if they end up having to catch a baby.

#10 of 23 Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 AM

I use to watch this show along with the Wedding Story. I definitely don't watch this show anymore.

Worlds Best Mom
#11 of 23 Old 01-27-2011, 11:04 AM

I used to watch this show when I was pregnant with my first.  So back in 1998/99.  Needless to say, I can NOT watch it anymore.  It infuriates me!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#12 of 23 Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Today's episode of A Baby Story:

The mother was 39 weeks and elected to have a c-section The doctor said that she and her husband were given all the risks and complications and still elected to have a c-section. bigeyes.gif I wish I knew the whole story behind their decision. What I did see in this episode made my head hurt.

#13 of 23 Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsBestMom View Post

I use to watch this show along with the Wedding Story. I definitely don't watch this show anymore.

Me too.  I used to tape them and my bff and I would spend hours discussing them.

Post child, The Baby Story horrifies me.  Maybe there is some good stuff but all I remember is induced births and c-sections.  I had an emergency c-section and it was NOTHING like The Baby Story.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#14 of 23 Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 PM

It was my favorite show until I had a baby of my own. I liked seeing the different ways that women laboured to somehow prepare me for mine. But now when I watch it, I find myself being like.. YAY she's not gonna get an epidural! Or YAY she has a midwife. And I don't even watch the ones with c-sections. Not as fascinating for me as the natural/homebirth ones.

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

#15 of 23 Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Attending hospital births, I've gotten the feeling that nurses get yelled at if they end up having to catch a baby.

At least part of it has to do with how doctors are paid; if they don't catch they don't get paid as much.

My second was born at home and I had nothing to do with her birth...and by "nothing" I mean that I did not deliberately push at all. Dd just moved along like she was on a conveyor beltlol.gif.  Ds was a pre-e induction and pushing helped it not hurt so much so I would not have been able to not push for more than a couple of seconds.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#16 of 23 Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM

In two different episodes of A Baby Story, the women in labor asked "Is it ten centimeters that I need to get to? What does effaced mean?" and the doctor has to explain this to the mother and father. bigeyes.gif How the hell do women not know these kind of things? What the hell were they doing for nine months if not learning about pregnancy, labor, and birth if only a little?

Also, in the past couple of weeks, I've seen a few women have unmedicated births. Oh, a woman had an unmedicated VBAC on an episode yesterday! However, even with the unmedicated births (which is completely fantastic!) the women labor all over the room and then end up delivering on the bed flat on their backs with their legs held up in the air. I think I've seen ONE birth where the woman had a water BIRTH. It was amazing! I think I even spied a different mother breastfeeding in the hospital!

I think I watch A Baby Story because it shows me what I don't want or hope to avoid during labor or birth (Not that I'm pregnant yet. Plenty of time to educate myself and plan for a home birth).

An audience for the labor and birth - No way, Jose. Why do there need to be two doctors and three nurses for a birth?

Baby whisked away right after birth - Absolutely not.

Coached pushing - HELL NO. I can't stand when doctors and nurses AND family yell at the mother to push and count to 10 and push harder? What the hell do you think she's doing?! I understand that pushing is totally different with an epidural than without, but it seems so harsh and loud.

Last pet peeve - I can't stand it when the father says "Oh, we're 7 centimeters" or when the doctors says "Oh, we're completely effaced". WRONG! The last time I checked, the woman was the only one in labor and giving birth.

I had to watch "Birth of a Family" (featuring a mother who had four homebirths) just to remind myself that there are unmedicated births with no interventions out there and that babies can come into the world with gentleness and peace and no drama.

MadiMamacita likes this.
#17 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 10:26 AM

bigeyes.gif I can't believe what I just saw. The mother was doing fine. She wasn't even induced. She was between 4 and 7 centimeters (not sure of the exact number). The doctor came in and said that he was going to break her water and then give her Pitocin because he didn't want the membranes ruptured for too long. I've seen AROM being done plenty of times but pitocin's already been administered by that point most of the time. 

#18 of 23 Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM

LOVE this show but it makes me that more impatient to become pregnant.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#19 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:

The mother was 39 weeks and elected to have a c-section The doctor said that she and her husband were given all the risks and complications and still elected to have a c-section. bigeyes.gif I wish I knew the whole story behind their decision. What I did see in this episode made my head hurt.

Oh, I know!  I hate it when they don't tell you what is behind the mom wanting a C-section instead of a vaginal birth, especially if she has never had a baby before. 

I am actually glad that my doctors have all told me that they recommend that I DON'T get a C-Section when i have a baby, due to the amount of scar tissue from previous abdominal surgeries and my other medical problems.  I am happy that I will be able to delivery vaginally without any questions.

#20 of 23 Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Does insurance cover elective c-sections? It'd be crazy if they did...especially given the awful stories you hear about insurance companies denying people surgeries that really are necessary but that insurances try to pass off as elective. 

#21 of 23 Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Probably not. But some doctors are adept at justifying them medically on paper. I have never heard of insurance denying a C-section claim.

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#22 of 23 Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Today on A Baby Story, the mother was 41 weeks before her labor was induced. The baby had dropped and the mother's cervix was soft by that point. The mother was given Cervidil to soften her cervix. After about 12 hours, she was given Stadol for the pain and she took a nap. At some point, she was give Pitocin to increase her contractions and then the mother opted to received an epidural for the pain. Her labor stalled at 5 centimeters. Her doctor called for a c-section and told her that she had a dysfunctional labor and that her pelvis was too small or the baby was too big.  The baby ended up weighing all of 6 pounds and 5 ounces.

I get mad at A Baby Story every time I watch it, but I got truly upset when I watched this episode. The mother originally wanted a unmedicated birth, but her labor and delivery ended up being a cascade of interventions. I've watched these kind of stories on A Baby Story before. I don't know why this particular episode got to me. I think it might be that the mother will have to fight hard (if she want to) in the future for a VBAC if she has another baby and she might be haunted by the fact that one doctor said she might have a small pelvis. Also, what would have happened if she had been allowed to get of bed and walk and move around to move the baby into a different position? Why didn't anyone suggest this course of action?

I really should stop watching this show. My blood pressure's high enough as it is.

#23 of 23 Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 PM

I sure do miss the first few seasons of a baby story, when they did more natural birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page