Top Chef Washington Season 7--Washington D.C.!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 133 Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't like it when the competitors get to have a say in who goes. Feels too much like other reality shows like "Survivor". I watch Top Chef just to get away from such things.

Tiffany's dish and Kevin's dish both looked delicious.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#62 of 133 Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as an aside, why does it always sound like tamesha has a cold?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#63 of 133 Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
I noticed that too and wondered if she can actually taste all that well?

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
#64 of 133 Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Do you all think Angelo purposely told Tamesha to add elements to her dish that he knew was off? I like Kenny but I am tired of the Angelo/Kenny feud. They each seem like they just want to beat each other not win the show. The penis measuring is annoying.
#65 of 133 Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I thought it was that she had some sort of an accent?
#66 of 133 Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 PM

she does have an accent but the stuffed nose sound is something else, i reckon.

good call about her ability to taste- i wonder if that is related?

I wouldn't put it past Angelo to have purposely left her in the dark about his thoughts on her dish. he's a snake. who was it that didn't tell the other cheftestant that her chicken had big pieces of cartilage in it? and how exactly do you not notice that you are cutting up bits of cartilage with the meat..

ETA: I found this on http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...e_a.php?page=2
"Tamesha has a serious cold or allergies in her interview segments, to the point where her stuffy nose is kind of distracting."
did anyone notice if it was just during her interviews?

found this too.. interesting..
"Tamesha’s scallops with pickled rhubarb, cilantro, basil and long pepper in rhubarb jus, and Stephen’s chilled beef with crispy rice and jalepeno oil – both Angelo-assisted dishes – are deemed the least successful."
(bolding mine) from http://dianatakesabite.blogspot.com/...-one-that.html

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#67 of 133 Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
who was it that didn't tell the other cheftestant that her chicken had big pieces of cartilage in it?
alex

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#68 of 133 Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure what to make the English Pee Puree-Gate. With all the cameras around, you would think they would have footage of Alex making the pee puree. Did he do some switcheroo when everyone had packed their coolers? I don't know. I also don't know what to make of Ed's missing pea puree. But if Alex won by taking someone else's puree that's bad karma. If on the other hand Ed screwed up bt leaving his puree behind or overlooked it in the coolers, then this whole thing should have been cut out of this episode because it makes Alex look like a thief. I don't like them showing all the drama around the missing pea puree without establishing what happened.

I don't like sweet sauces with meat so I can see why Andrea was booted.

#69 of 133 Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

I felt like playing a drinking game each night. Hear the words "pee puree"? Do a shot! Of course, I couldn't.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#70 of 133 Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I'm not sure what to make the English Pee Puree-Gate. With all the cameras around, you would think they would have footage of Alex making the pee puree. Did he do some switcheroo when everyone had packed their coolers? I don't know. I also don't know what to make of Ed's missing pea puree. But if Alex won by taking someone else's puree that's bad karma. If on the other hand Ed screwed up bt leaving his puree behind or overlooked it in the coolers, then this whole thing should have been cut out of this episode because it makes Alex look like a thief. I don't like them showing all the drama around the missing pea puree without establishing what happened.
I know! usually they focus in on a food if it figures into what's about to happen - (the pork when it was left behind two seasons ago, and something on top chef masters a few weeks ago for example)... they didn't show the puree in the kitchen after they packed up and left... on the other hand they did focus in (very briefly) on a pan of peas up on one of the windows of the kitchen yesterday right before Ed started looking for his puree...?

90% of the people who texted last night thought Alex stole it but like you said it was never established.... also in the interview he made a big deal about cooking "your own food" - so who knows

#71 of 133 Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM

Exactly! In the past when someone hasn't had an essential ingredient, the camera quietly pans to a forgotten dish back at the kitchen or wherever. The contestant might not realize where it is, but the audience is shown where the missing item is. This time we have an accusation, but no footage. It's almost like they gave Alex the "bad guy" edit. I don't really like Alex that much - something about him is vaguely unlikable, but to smear him that way without proof is also not cool.

Other than Tiffany, I really am not finding anyone else to root for. The level of cooking last season seemed to be at a higher level.

#72 of 133 Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM

I think Angelo is a good chef, but I find his character so unlikeable that I can't bear to root for him. Alex seems like a snake, and I think he could have taken the puree. I don't think we've seen the end of this debacle. Someone commented that there is no way he would have had time to have made it the day of, and he didn't have it the day before.
But really, how hard is pea puree? How much time could it take?
found this from andrea: http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/424185_tvgif29.html

I have a piece of swordfish in the fridge and I was hoping to get some good ideas from that episode on how to cook it, because I don't like the texture much. I guess I wont go with a vanilla bean mustard sauce

#73 of 133 Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 AM

I find pea puree gate really unsettling. Isn't it cheating if they stole an element of another chef's dish? What happened with the pea puree? What is going on? Is pea puree really that delicious? I don't think I have had pea puree. Would it be too obvious to ask them to put Ed's pea puree recipe on the website?

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blog...lit?page=0%2C0

I don't really know who to root for either. I agree that things were at a higher level previously.

We should just drink everytime someone whines "I guess I should have made Asian food THEN I would win too wah wah"

Not all those who wander are lost 
#74 of 133 Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post

We should just drink everytime someone whines "I guess I should have made Asian food THEN I would win too wah wah"

#75 of 133 Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 PM

I am liking Tiffany. She just seems to have a good attitude. I don't think she'll win because she's not flashy, but I am rooting for her.
#76 of 133 Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM

so tom claims the judges never have any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, but a few seasons ago didnt someone get kicked out prematurely for wrestling or shaving someone's head or something?
i just cannot believe that there isn't a single camera that captured alex making his puree. how bizarre.

#77 of 133 Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
so tom claims the judges never have any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, but a few seasons ago didnt someone get kicked out prematurely for wrestling or shaving someone's head or something?
i just cannot believe that there isn't a single camera that captured alex making his puree. how bizarre.
They were going to force-shave someone's head and ended up pinning him down...I think one of the camera men probably reported it because that's assault. Stealing a puree? He could have claimed accident or something and there was no risk of physical harm AND the guy's dish was one of the top without the puree. *shrugs* Had he been in the bottom it probably would have come up.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#78 of 133 Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I find pea puree gate really unsettling. Isn't it cheating if they stole an element of another chef's dish? What happened with the pea puree? What is going on? Is pea puree really that delicious? I don't think I have had pea puree. Would it be too obvious to ask them to put Ed's pea puree recipe on the website?
When I heard "pea puree" I thought baby food. That's what I used to give DD when she was eating solid foods.
I'm just not a fan of pea puree I guess.

#79 of 133 Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 PM

It was Marcel that got pinned down and nearly got his head shaved. I was ok with Marcel but he actually reminds me of a friend of mine.

#80 of 133 Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
It was Marcel that got pinned down and nearly got his head shaved. I was ok with Marcel but he actually reminds me of a friend of mine.
I'm watching season 2 right now- guess I have that to look forward to!
#81 of 133 Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM

oh yeah. i disliked marcel. and i also have a friend who reminds me of him! two actually- they are twins.

#82 of 133 Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM

I love me some Eithiopian food.
Loved that Tiffany won the QF and EC. I hope she keeps the momentum going.

Stephen needed to go. He really didn't distinguish himself in this contest. He was on the bottom in several EC challenges.

What was up with Padma's necklace?

#83 of 133 Old 08-05-2010, 09:35 PM

I enjoyed the challenges, but the elimination was blah. I knew Stephen would be going before too long, so it was no surprise.

I noticed it was completely obvious that Tiffany would win both challenges, they way they edited it, with her staying wouldn't it be great if she did.

And now I'm guessing that one guy goes home next week, with the kids, b/c they showed him calling home and that's usually the kiss of death.
#84 of 133 Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 AM

That Ethiopian food looked amazing.

#85 of 133 Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 AM

Oh- and I also thought this was interesting. I read on Tom's blog that the show takes about 30 days to film, so he was able to go home every few days and spend time with his family.

To me, it's interesting to think that this is all happening over a month, yet to us it's stretched out over a whole season. Seems like a fairly easy gig to me, for the judges and hosts and production staff, to be done filming within a month then have an entire season of a tv show. (Obviously there is more work with editing, etc). It makes sense that the contestants are so tired by the end, if they are doing these challenges back to back over a month, a lot of them involving long hours and minimal sleep!
#86 of 133 Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM

I wasn't shocked Kenny was eliminated. He thought he was all that, but really he wasn't. At the beginning of the season, I thought he would really distinguish himself by his cooking like Jen, the Voltaggios, Carla in past seasons, but he failed to do so. Plus, referring himself constantly in Alpha-Male terms was off-putting.

I think his team would have done better if Amanda ran the Front of the House (she has a pretty perky personality), and Kelly was Executive Chef.
Trying to blame Alex on the other team was a bad bad move by Kenny and Kevin.
Amanda and Kelly wisely shut up about that at JT.

Is Alex getting a villain's edit or what? I still don't like him, but I feel like he's been edited worse than anyone else in the history of the show.

#87 of 133 Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Is Alex getting a villain's edit or what? I still don't like him, but I feel like he's been edited worse than anyone else in the history of the show.
I agree.

Well, I'm sorry to see Kenny go, just b/c I think he has had a much better performance than Alex and Amanda. I can see that his two dishes were not good, but Alex's lack of cooking in the challenge and poor handling of the front of the house, and Amanda doing one dish that was not successful was more grounds for going home! At least Kenny has shown some leadership and more talent in the past.

I also felt like we didn't get as much info on the restaurants like we normally do. We quickly heard the names of the restaurant and the concept. Usually we get to see more of the background on what they're trying to accomplish, how they come up with the name, how they decorate the dining room, the type of ambiance they're trying to create, etc.
#88 of 133 Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM

I think the way it works in Restaurant Wars is the teams are compared against each other as a whole - Team A v. Team B, and then the next analysis is who did what. So if by the first step, Angelo's team had already won, the Judges aren't going to step two to analyze whether Alex did a lot or not. Plus, the directions said "be responsible for" which Alex may have done. Anyway, if Alex's team had lost, I'm sure Alex would have been toast. You could tell the others on his team were marginalizing him, but then again he didn't seem to know how to handle those proteins which he should have.

I remember Trey from several seasons back got booted during RW because he was the Executive Chef. That made me sad. I liked his low key style.
The problem with Kenny's dishes is that they are just too much. He should have stuck to ONE good dish instead of overcomplicating things.

#89 of 133 Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 AM

I'm rooting for Tiffany, Kevin or Kelly. I just personally like them. Amanda seems to need more experience. Ed's okay.
#90 of 133 Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post

I also felt like we didn't get as much info on the restaurants like we normally do. We quickly heard the names of the restaurant and the concept. Usually we get to see more of the background on what they're trying to accomplish, how they come up with the name, how they decorate the dining room, the type of ambiance they're trying to create, etc.
I think they took most of the design aspect out since that never really went well. It seems like they have been given already mostly decorated restaurants lately.

Quote:
I wasn't shocked Kenny was eliminated. He thought he was all that, but really he wasn't. At the beginning of the season, I thought he would really distinguish himself by his cooking like Jen, the Voltaggios, Carla in past seasons, but he failed to do so. Plus, referring himself constantly in Alpha-Male terms was off-putting.

I think his team would have done better if Amanda ran the Front of the House (she has a pretty perky personality), and Kelly was Executive Chef.
Trying to blame Alex on the other team was a bad bad move by Kenny and Kevin.
Amanda and Kelly wisely shut up about that at JT.

I agree. Trying to point the finger towards someone else is rarely effective.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page