Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I DVRed it and I'm watching now while the kids are still groggy from waking up
#2 of 133 Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM

ooh i'm excited! I have to watch it online though.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#3 of 133 Old 06-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was to see Eric Ripert instead of Toby. Eric Ripert can come over to my house and read me the phone book. I love him and his accent.

I was sad to see John get eliminated. As a James Beard nominee and a seemingly nice guy, I was hoping he would make it to the middle of the season at least. However, what was he thinking making a desert when it wasn't required. I knew it was the kiss of death when he bought that puff pastry and said "this looks good, but *I haven't used this before*." The EC was so easy for a professional chef. Cook something that represents your area. That should be something most of them could do without a lot of thought.

Looks like Angelo and Kevin are getting the edit to be the Voltaggio brothers of this season. I'm still reserving judgment on Angelo. At times, I didn't care for his comments about his greatness.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#4 of 133 Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I was sad to see John get eliminated. As a James Beard nominee and a seemingly nice guy, I was hoping he would make it to the middle of the season at least. However, what was he thinking making a desert when it wasn't required. I knew it was the kiss of death when he bought that puff pastry and said "this looks good, but *I haven't used this before*." The EC was so easy for a professional chef. Cook something that represents your area. That should be something most of them could do without a lot of thought.
As soon as he decided to make a dessert I knew he was done. They should know if they have ever watched this show - don't make a dessert unless absolutely required!

They did mention that there is an upcoming show with Gail Simmons called Top Chef Just Desserts or something like that. Does anyone know more about that? Sounds like it might be Top Chef for pastry chefs.
#5 of 133 Old 06-19-2010, 12:48 PM

I don't really understand what people are thinking. The winner is always "I know exactly what I am doing, I have a plan ect ect"

You would think they would want everything to be perfect on one of the meals they can pretty much choose what they are cooking. They aren't having to cook sweetbreads, having to buy their ingredients at a gas station or only have breakfast cereal to work with. They had choices and then they do weird things.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 133 Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM

I'm watching- yipee for Top Chef!
#7 of 133 Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Just saw this little article about the show, and Padma's thoughts on breastfeeding! http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/...breastfeeding/ I knew she was pregnant at the end of last season, but hadn't heard the baby news.
#8 of 133 Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Just saw this little article about the show, and Padma's thoughts on breastfeeding! http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/...breastfeeding/ I knew she was pregnant at the end of last season, but hadn't heard the baby news.
Good find! I love that she is breastfeeding. And yeah, I'll agree, pumping sucks.
#9 of 133 Old 06-23-2010, 07:30 PM

It seems like this season there are more seasoned chefs than the last season. The guy who won both challenges last week seems a little off but his dishes looked tasty.

I love Eric Ripert. He's so not arrogant and has a nice voice.
#10 of 133 Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Is it weird that I absolutely cannot remember last season? I need to google now because I literally have no recollection of the team from last year. I feel kind of senile right now
#11 of 133 Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Just watched the quick fire and I am drooling for a good sandwich right now
#12 of 133 Old 06-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Yay someone started this! This is DH and I's favorite show! Loved the sanwich quickfire.

I half expected Michelle Obama to show up since they were doing the school lunches.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#13 of 133 Old 06-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Who puts sherry in a lunch dish made for kids? I know the heat probably killed the alcohol off, but still...it just seemed like such a dumb thing to do. I didn't like her mouthing off about the opposing team's dish.

I thought the Jacqueline was rightfully eliminated. That was the second time she made something "grainy". Two lbs of sugar? Yikes! Even if it is spread over quite a number of kids, it's still quite a lot of sugar.

I thought the assistant White House chef was quite easy on the eyes. They need to bring him back again.

#14 of 133 Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 PM

I always like the episodes where they are asked to cook for kids. However, did anyone else feel like they missed that these were actually teens? I mean, little kids like PB & celery, but my 10 YO is pretty much past that stage. And they should definitely have made everyone aware of "no peanuts or tree nuts" as that is such a standard restriction these days.

I do not like Angelo's attitude and was glad that he didn't win this one too. I though either woman could have been justly sent home.
#15 of 133 Old 06-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
I always like the episodes where they are asked to cook for kids. However, did anyone else feel like they missed that these were actually teens? I mean, little kids like PB & celery, but my 10 YO is pretty much past that stage. And they should definitely have made everyone aware of "no peanuts or tree nuts" as that is such a standard restriction these days.

I do not like Angelo's attitude and was glad that he didn't win this one too. I though either woman could have been justly sent home.
I don't care for him at all. His attitude stinks even though that sandwhich did look tasty.
#16 of 133 Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 PM

If Angelo wants to be Top Chef he should do it by his cooking not by sabotaging other contestants. What he did shows a lack of class and confidence. I can't picture the Voltaggio brothers, Stephanie, Richard Blaise, etc. doing something like that.
They all do play the game to a certain extent - Was it Tim or Kevin who didn't give some cooking equipment to Angelo for his dish? I think Amanda admitted in the confessional that she didn't do desert as part of her strategy. But, Angelo was really obvious about what he did. Glad Tom called him out on it.

I've always considered tomato a vegetable and use it as such. I didn't understand the fuss about it.

Peanut butter and celery is a snack. It's not satisfying enough for a meal. I also thought most schools now are nut-free given the rise in food allergies.

#17 of 133 Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 AM

I thought the sherry chicken girl should have gone home just for the fact that she bought such a frivolous ingredient which no one even thought added to the dish, and left her teammate scrambling for ingredients for her dessert.

And I think the fuss about the tomato was because chefs of that caliber should be reasonably expected to know that a tomato is technically a fruit and not try to pass it off as a veg. They knew they were expected to serve a veg. Once slice of tomato (and did he say that they roasted it and thats why it should count as a veg?) and a stick of celery should not constitute a serving of vegetables.

But the winning team didn't have a great veg either... corn and tomatoes- I think of corn as more of a starch than a veg, pickled onions.. I did see something green on the taco so maybe that was supposed to count? I thought the other team that did the bbq chix was a lot more creative in making a healthier alternative.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#18 of 133 Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
I thought the sherry chicken girl should have gone home just for the fact that she bought such a frivolous ingredient which no one even thought added to the dish, and left her teammate scrambling for ingredients for her dessert.
And I think the fuss about the tomato was because chefs of that caliber should be reasonably expected to know that a tomato is technically a fruit and not try to pass it off as a veg. They knew they were expected to serve a veg. Once slice of tomato (and did he say that they roasted it and thats why it should count as a veg?) and a stick of celery should not constitute a serving of vegetables.

But the winning team didn't have a great veg either... corn and tomatoes- I think of corn as more of a starch than a veg, pickled onions.. I did see something green on the taco so maybe that was supposed to count? I thought the other team that did the bbq chix was a lot more creative in making a healthier alternative.

Thank you! I was wondering why she was allowed to stay on plus she seemed to have a tude at judges panel.
#19 of 133 Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM

love this show. I missed the first episode, but was able to find it and dvr it. Yeah the sherry chicken lady was selfish.
#20 of 133 Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Sherry chicken lady (that's my nickname for her from now on ) did well tonight. Color me surprised.

I had a feeling Tracey was going to be eliminated. I'll miss her commentary. I found her amusing even if she was snarky at times. Doe she remind anyone else of Rosie O'Donnell? Something about her look and her comments remind me of Rosie.

Padma is looking good. Wish I looked that good a few months after having DD.

#21 of 133 Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
Sherry chicken lady (that's my nickname for her from now on ) did well tonight. Color me surprised.

I had a feeling Tracey was going to be eliminated. I'll miss her commentary. I found her amusing even if she was snarky at times. Doe she remind anyone else of Rosie O'Donnell? Something about her look and her comments remind me of Rosie.

Padma is looking good. Wish I looked that good a few months after having DD.

DH kept calling her Rosie O'Donnel cause he said she looks just like her.

I agree about Padma. She looks great. She wears a few extra pounds really well.
#22 of 133 Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 PM

Ok, maybe I shouldn't admit this but I don't see anything wrong with using cooking sherry for children It's not like she was serving beers with their lunches, it's just an ingredient to flavor the dish. I wouldn't have any problem serving that to my kids (except for the fact that it was probably cheap/factory farmed chicken- I have MUCH more of a problem with that being served to kids!).

And I feel like her bigger mistake was spending the money on sherry when thier budget was limited and it caused the other team member to have to forego a main dessert ingredient (chocolate). She could have chosen a more affordable option for the chicken dish.
#23 of 133 Old 07-04-2010, 06:03 PM

I think the sherry for cooking was a stupid choice... not from a taste point of view, but from a budget point of view. I think she should have gone home, as that seemed to really hurt her team.
Did anyone think Gail looked preggo when she was there for the dessert qf? I couldn't tell if she was trying to hide a baby belly or not............
~maddymama
#24 of 133 Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
DH kept calling her Rosie O'Donnel cause he said she looks just like her.

I agree about Padma. She looks great. She wears a few extra pounds really well.
totally! padma's boobs look bigger too- go BF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Ok, maybe I shouldn't admit this but I don't see anything wrong with using cooking sherry for children .
I agree with this- I dont think it was inappropriate for children, it just didnt strike me as a dish created especially for children. sherry isnt an ingredient i use and i cant quite come up with the flavor, but it wouldnt have been my first choice for a lunch designed especially for children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymama View Post
Did anyone think Gail looked preggo when she was there for the dessert qf? I couldn't tell if she was trying to hide a baby belly or not............
~maddymama
maddy- I'm maddie too!
now i have to go back and look!

#25 of 133 Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 PM

Just stepping in with a gentle reminder that MDC no longer hosts celebrity news/gossip/speculation. Please stick to what you see on the show. If/when Padma announces she's pregnant, then it can be thread fodder.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#26 of 133 Old 07-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Not Padma! Gail!

point taken- back to the show..

#27 of 133 Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Just wanted to say that I am now caught up on this season. Been a Top Chef fan since season 1. I kind of got flaky with watching some of the past seasons (they got kind of boring for a while). But I'm really liking it so far this time.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#28 of 133 Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM

I don't think the sherry was necessarily a bad choice for kids in general, I do cook with wine at home and dd likes those things. I do think it was an extremely bad choice for a school though.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#29 of 133 Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM

I don't think the sherry was a bad choice because of the alcohol, rather that she could have used something less expensive so her team could use more $. I think the dessert person got hosed. No she didn't make a healthy dessert, but she also had to lose a main ingredient.
#30 of 133 Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM

I would have sucked at the first challenge because we did BLW! DS never had "baby food" or anything pureed. He didn't care about solids until 9 months and then ate whatever we ate...So yeah, I would have made some chicken or something and chopped into small pieces and been like "Look, baby food."

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page