World Cup 2010? Who's watching? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I missed it as a thread already , but is anyone watching the world cup?

What did you think of the Slovenia v US game? (if you're cheering for the US )

Chile v Switzerland today - a red card? REALLY?

Portugal - amazing Ronaldo goal *swoon*

Who's watching? Who are you cheering for?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#2 of 30 Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm not as into it as DH, but I have it on in the morning and early afternoon while I got about my business around the house. The sound of the vuvuzelas is becoming a welcome hum these day, actually.

I did see the Ronaldo goal. He's a bit of a showboater, and DH who follows EPL football says he has a nickname involving the word d-bag. Can't remember what is now. Amazing D-bag or something??

Yes, I'm cheering for the US and that call by the ref was horrible. Still no explanation. And I didn't see Chile v Switz yet. DH and I will watch it tonight, I'm sure.

England isn't playing well either, though.
Surely we can't be the only ones watching.
#3 of 30 Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We've watched a few games. There's been some pretty surprising results.

New Zealand - SWEET AS!!! Terrific game against Italy. The Kiwis are playing tough, disciplined games - especially since there is a mix of full-time pros and part-time amateurs on the team - and their goalie is awesome.

France has imploded. The game against SA should be interesting, to say the least - a chaotic, undisciplined, infighting bunch against the home team.

Some of the referees have been terrible. I can't believe the calls (or lack) in the Brazil v. Cote d'Ivoire game. There were 2 handballs on the 2nd Brazilian goal, but later on the Ivory Coast player definitely took a dive to get Kaka ejected from the game. So the Brazilians benefited with a goal but lost a player on bad refereeing.
#4 of 30 Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oooooh I want to go back and watch the NZ games! I love a great match especially if an unexpected team can hold their own

France - haven't seen a match yet with them, but it sounds similar to what's happening with England...just not bringing it to these games.

refs - its been a real cr!p shoot with the refs and these games. I was floored in the Slovenia v US game and some friends I was watching with complained with today's Switz game. I have pity for the Switz's game ref as I think he was trying to just get control in a somewhat heated match.

I would type more, but I have a baby running and trying to take off a diaper!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#5 of 30 Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
I can't believe the calls (or lack) in the Brazil v. Cote d'Ivoire game. There were 2 handballs on the 2nd Brazilian goal, but later on the Ivory Coast player definitely took a dive to get Kaka ejected from the game. So the Brazilians benefited with a goal but lost a player on bad refereeing.
My husband and I were just talking about this. The IC player totally took a dive. It was so ridiculous.

We're trying to keep up with the games the best we can, but we don't have cable. That leaves us with Univision and TeleFutura, and we don't speak Spanish. It's fine if I keep my eyes on the TV, but it makes it hard to sort of half watch or wander around the house and listen. I can hear the Spain versus Honduras game from the other room right now, and I have no idea what's going on. I wish I took Spanish in high school. Anyway, it makes things interesting I guess. At least there are a few games on ABC on the weekend.
#6 of 30 Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 PM

Totally watching here!

I can't post what I think of the US-Slovenia match here... it's just a string of words that would get me in MDC trouble.

I was pleased with the Chile-Switzerland outcome, but my sister is married to a Chilean so I'm probably a bit biased .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#7 of 30 Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Today's Schedule of Games:

10 a.m. EST, Mexico vs. Uruguay
10 a.m. EST, France vs. South Africa
2:30 p.m. EST, Nigeria vs. South Korea
2:30 p.m. EST, Greece vs. Argentina

ThisCat - espn3.com is streaming the games live (and in english) and there is another site that is streaming them too with adthe.net (?)

I'm trying to find links to the games that have occurred already... if I find one that's reliable I'll post it here for everyone if they've missed a game or 2 or several!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

#8 of 30 Old 06-22-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
ThisCat - espn3.com is streaming the games live (and in english) and there is another site that is streaming them too with adthe.net (?)
I tried espn3 a few days ago, but couldn't get it to work because apparently it only works with specific ISPs, and ours isn't one of them. I'll give the other one a go though. Thanks!
#9 of 30 Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Guess who did not show up to the game today.... if you guess France (les bleus!) then you are right!!!

Wow 0-2 SA at half.

#10 of 30 Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Guess who did not show up to the game today.... if you guess France (les bleus!) then you are right!!!

Wow 0-2 SA at half.
Wow! Going to check right now to see if it's still on or to find some highlights. I forgot completely that game was scheduled this a.m. Thanks for the update!
#11 of 30 Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Second half is a BIT more of a game. Looks like SA is going to have to settle for a win without moving on. Still, a good performance.

I'm pretty pumped for the U.S. game tomorrow. We're going to watch the game and cook breakfast at a friend's house.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#12 of 30 Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM

I'm glad that SA has something to celebrate, even if they don't move on to the next round. SA created a few more good opportunities that could have given them another goal or 2.
#13 of 30 Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, but it was so bittersweet for SA. I kept trying to cheer for Uruguay to score more goals!!

Argentina v. Greece - I caught the last 15 minutes... which turned out to be the best. The goal was pretty nice to see. Argentina's coach went wild

I wish I could have streamed both the South Korea v Nigeria game at the same time, but alas I had work...

#14 of 30 Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 AM

I missed the Argentina game, but dh said that Messi is a crazyman (or something like that ). I don't know what inspired that comment. For sure, Maradona is. It sounds like there was some good play.

Go U.S.A, England, Ghana and Australia today! I don't think I'll see any matches today unless I watch the re-plays tonight.
#15 of 30 Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEA TEAM U.S.A.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#16 of 30 Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM

ok, I think you get the point, but I'm excited!!!!!

Here's hoping we hit anybody but Germany in the next round (and win!!!).
#17 of 30 Old 06-23-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ack meetings this morning and I think I've missed the morning games.

I need to break out my vuvuzela and get watching! Time to catch up!! Yay!

I think we need a soccer smile for us!

#18 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh games today

9am Paraguay v NZ
9am Slovakia v Italy

2pm Cameroon v Netherlands
2pm Denmark v Japan

Currently watching both morning games, and I found that espn3 (if you can get it) replays some of the past days games. Thank goodness as I still need to see the US game and I want to watch the England game too.

#19 of 30 Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM

We are watching. My son's favorite team is the Spanish team and his favorite player is David Villa.
#20 of 30 Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 AM

My sister and her Chilean husband live in Spain... wonder if they're going to barricade themselves inside their apartment tomorrow or go brave the crowds.

I'm gonna miss the US's next game... well, every game for the next few days; I'm going to a concert festival and will be blissfully away from the TV. Poor timing, but maybe someone will get the result and spread the word around the festival.

#21 of 30 Old 06-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Has everyone stopped watching after a disappointing weekend? So sad about the USA game. I watched the English play Germany. No question that Germany deserved to win, but that disallowed goal was a heartbreaker. The bad calls haunt this tournament. I also saw part of the Netherlands v. Slovakia game yesterday and it was really good.

I think almost all of our family's favourites have been eliminated now. We'll have to re-group and figure out who to cheer for now.
#22 of 30 Old 06-29-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Still watching here, but I'm having a hard time keeping up! The weekend play put me behind as it was tough to say no to playing outside with the awesome weather we've been having.

I'm in the process of catching up and to figure out who's still in the hunt.

I didn't even get to catch the Germany v England game... wow I'm really behind

#23 of 30 Old 06-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Just watched Paraguay vs Japan. First match to go to a shoot out. I won't spoil it if you want to watch it later, but I will say it's a heartbreaker to see the fans of the losing team crying. And when the players and coach join in I just can't stand it! Esp with such a close match!!
#24 of 30 Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM

I just want to say......

GO NETHERLANDS!!!!!

I think I might actually get to watch the game live for a change.
#25 of 30 Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just popping in to yell

ORANJE!!!

#26 of 30 Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 PM

It looks like the psychic octopus might be right. We'll have to see how the rest of the game goes.
#27 of 30 Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Paul was right! The octopus calls it again.
#28 of 30 Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I love it! A psychic octopus! Oooh so a NED v Spain match up...This is going to be exciting!

#29 of 30 Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 PM

Anyone beside us cheering for Spain?
#30 of 30 Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 PM

So it's all over!

At the end I was cheering for the Netherlands, DH had bet on Spain in his office pool so he was pretty happy, DD hasn't really been interested since Italy left early on and after a pretty poor showing, and DS never really settled on a single team to cheer on.

We watched the final and it was pretty tense right up to the end. I was really happy that it was decided during play rather than by kicks.

It's been fun for a few weeks. Looking forward to next time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page