"I didn't know I was pregnant..." - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So for all these ladies giving birth to babies in a public restroom...ewww. Did they catch the baby, did they figure it out before the baby crowned? Just seems so crazy to me.

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
So for all these ladies giving birth to babies in a public restroom...ewww. Did they catch the baby, did they figure it out before the baby crowned? Just seems so crazy to me.
I have only seen a couple of episodes, but one lady's baby landed on the restroom floor of a handicapped stall of a bathroom at Six Flags theme park!!! She didn't even pick him up because she thought he was dead and she was so stunned.

Another lady's baby also landed in the toilet and the husband fished her out and resuscitated her. CRAZY!

Is it strange that I think I could totally feel the difference between a giant person coming out of my vagina and...ANYthing coming out of my anus? Or am I misguided here?

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#33 of 41 Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post
Is it strange that I think I could totally feel the difference between a giant person coming out of my vagina and...ANYthing coming out of my anus? Or am I misguided here?
The pressure gets so intense down there you seriously cant tell where its coming out, just that it is. Basically, it makes you go numb.

For many of us, something comes out of both holes... but most moms never even know it because they honestly can not feel it come out... and well trained nurses/midwives clean it up before you ever even notice. I had to ask my mom if I did when in labor with my son, and yes, I did. But I did not know it until I asked!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#34 of 41 Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM

I would have had a really hard time believing this stuff too until it happened to a friend's daughter. Same as so many of these women, she was on birth control, had regular periods, thought there was something intestinal going on, finally one day BAM her sister had to take her into the hospital and she was in labor! I certainly can't imagine making THAT phone call from the hospital!!!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#35 of 41 Old 07-07-2010, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like watching the show because, well, it's more natural birth than most on TV. I just watched an episode where the mom felt tons of pressure, kicked off her pants, and went to hands and knees - having no idea that she was pushing out a baby. I loved how her body knew what to do even when she didn't know what was happening. In her situation, she was 46 (?) and had a tubal ligation, so she had NO expectation of being pregnant.

My mom had a tubal ages ago, and did, apparently, get pg and miscarry afterwards. I've had dreams in this pregnancy that she was due with twins (and I was wondering if she'd use my MW, too, now that she's such a fan of home birth - but she was somewhat concerned about her age and twins and bad history with previous labors!). In fact, I've dreamed that my sister, my mom, and I were ALL pregnant at the same time. If mom did get pg again (extraordinarily unlikely, especially given her age of 55), she would absolutely chalk up symptoms to other things. She's got so many OTHER issues now, that anything bizarre would fit in with those. So I can see it happening, especially in that scenario of the older woman.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#36 of 41 Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I like watching the show because, well, it's more natural birth than most on TV. I just watched an episode where the mom felt tons of pressure, kicked off her pants, and went to hands and knees - having no idea that she was pushing out a baby. I loved how her body knew what to do even when she didn't know what was happening. In her situation, she was 46 (?) and had a tubal ligation, so she had NO expectation of being pregnant.
I saw that one last night too. I loved dad for catching the baby avoiding the baby hits the floor while everyone stand there like an idiot moment that happens far too often on this show. Also they named the baby Hunter " because he snuck up on us"
#37 of 41 Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM

We joke that I'll end up on that show. I fit the profile. Large, history of irregular periods and infertility. When I did get pregnant after 11 years of no BC it was with a bit of help (IUI). My pregnancy had few of the typical side effects and I gained only a little weight. Much of the hormonal stuff could totally be attributed to my wacky endocrine system. The give away was that I looked like a bowling ball with stick arms and legs but if I gained weight and it balanced out the belly... who knows. I like to think I'd just know but now that I'm 39 I'll have a host of premenapausal symptoms to blame symptoms on.
#38 of 41 Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM

My MIL went 3 months without knowing she was pregnant with her first. She went to her doctor for her annual checkup and he said, 'um, you're kinda pregnant' and she had no idea! She didn't have a single symptom. Wish I could have sailed through my first trimester like that! I would assume that if she hadn't gone to the doctor she would have figured it out eventually, although she didn't show until she was 7 months along either. I really can't relate!

I'll admit, I love watching this show, it's so hard to wrap my head around the idea of that happening.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#39 of 41 Old 07-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
The pressure gets so intense down there you seriously cant tell where its coming out, just that it is. Basically, it makes you go numb.

For many of us, something comes out of both holes... but most moms never even know it because they honestly can not feel it come out... and well trained nurses/midwives clean it up before you ever even notice. I had to ask my mom if I did when in labor with my son, and yes, I did. But I did not know it until I asked!
I had no idea this could happen until after dc#1 was born, and I could have gone the rest of my life never knowing that I'd p**ed on the delivery table.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#40 of 41 Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Am I the only one who finds this show oddly specific? Doesn't the title kinda give away the plot... every week? TV is weird.

I wonder whether the mental shock of going from childless to parent (or parent of one to parent of two, etc), frantically reviewing the last 9 months to remember what you'd eaten and drunk, having to come up with a baby name off the cuff, and all that jazz, would outweigh the benefits of having symptomless pregnancies, gaining very little weight, not stressing about the pregnancy/labour/birth, and so on. I think I'd prefer some advance warning, but then... I hated pregnancy. And I don't drink, like coffee, smoke, do drugs, take prescription meds or do extreme sports, so I probably wouldn't do anything terrifically unsafe in the average 9-month period. And I do remember finding out about DD at six weeks and thinking "That's AAAAGES away!", so - maybe if I found out at 5 months? That'd be nice.

I only found out about DD due to an accident - I was exposed to chicken pox and someone said "You're not pregnant, are you?", so I tested. I got sick shortly after that so I would probably have found out eventually, but it was still rather a random way to find out (and not very pleasant).

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#41 of 41 Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 AM

This happened to a neighbor of mine. She went to the ER with severe pain and came home with a baby. Her daughter, who was about 22 and had a 2 year old, was not happy.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page