True Blood: Book and Show comparison lots of spoilers, no tags - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Book 1 and season 1 are very similar for the part that is in both. It was really unsuspenseful watching the show having read the book to know who the murderer was. I kept wondering if they'd change it on the show! But I did like some of the storylines they added - especially Lafayette.

Man from Memphis is Elvis.

Books 2 and 3 are different. Sookie does go to Dallas and Jackson respectively but the stories of exactly what's going on are changed. If you ask me, I liked season 2 of the show better than the book but I loved the book as well. I think it was the Godric storyline I loved. I was not so fussy about Eric's maker's story in the books - the show did it much better.

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 10:31 AM

The only problem I have with them having the Godric storyline in season 2 is in book 10 they introduce his maker as a different vampire. I don't know how they are going to work with that. I do think that eventually the show will stop(maybe season 6 or so) and they will wrap everything up with movie. The actors are going to age and vampires don't age.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 08-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Yes to Jason in the books being so different. I think he treats Sookie like crap in the books. I'm always telling DH that I hate Jason. I think he's really funny on the show and you sooo don't get that in the books.

I wonder if Charlaine had already planned on revealing Eric's maker in book 10 or if she kind of decided to do it after the show did it. I agree that the show storyline was much "nicer." Eric really does not like Appius Livius Ocella in the book, and he's so afraid of him. Also, Godric - much cooler name!

Charlaine has also brought Tara back more so in the last couple of books. (I think the last book she was in a lot was book 5?) Again, is she somewhat influenced by the show or was this the plan all along? I'd love to know!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Sara C., I see that you are from Shreveport!

I'm always curious if authors who use real places do so accurately. In reading the books, does Charlaine use the correct place names/highways/etc.? Or does she just make stuff up? I know that Bon Temps is fictional, but after reading the books, would you know where it would be located, approximately? She'll say how long it takes to get from Shreveport to somewhere, and I guess I'm wondering if she did her research or not!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 AM

I skipped book 1. Now that I've read them all, I'm going to go back and read it.
I also like show Jason much better!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 AM

Aquitane--I do know some of the places. Like Fangtasia is supposed to be located in a real strip mall area that if you know Shreveport you could find. Funny thing is it used to be a mall and now it is a church. I cannot imagine a bar in that area but that is where she put it. I suspect Bon Temps is supposed to be past Monroe, which is 1 1/2 hours from me, so I think Bon Temps is supposed to be about 2 hours away. Charlaine Harris lives in Magnolia, Arkansas which is about 1 1/2 northeast of me so she does know this area a bit. I have read articles where she has said she goes to the places in her books(Shreveport, Jackson, Dallas, etc) and tries to scout out locations that will fit. I am not orginally from Shreveport but have lived here 10 years so I do know the area and she gets it most of the time.

It helps to remember that some of these books were written almost 10 years ago so things have changed in the areas. I don't mind. I am just glad that she used Shreveport because the actors do scenic shoots here and i have my fingers crossed to run into Alexander Skarsgard.

Sara
Old 08-14-2010, 01:00 PM

That is so cool Sara! I had read they do the outdoor shoots in Louisiana. Remember the scene...was it season 1 or 2? where Sam runs naked through the woods and Andy and Terry (I think) are fishing and see him? I heard him say in an interview that the land they shot that on had been owned by his grandfather or something.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks, Sara, for answering my questions!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to see Alexander Skarsgard!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraC View Post
The only problem I have with them having the Godric storyline in season 2 is in book 10 they introduce his maker as a different vampire. I don't know how they are going to work with that. I do think that eventually the show will stop(maybe season 6 or so) and they will wrap everything up with movie. The actors are going to age and vampires don't age.
I've been wondering about that since they introduced Godric in season 2. I don't know if that came out before she'd written everything into book 10 or not.

I really hate that they left Bubba out of the show.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 AM

I really don't think Eric's maker will be a problem in the show. If they get as far as book 10 they would just leave it out. If I'm remembering correctly, Eric first told Sookie his story in book 9 which came out May 2009 so Charlaine was writing it approximately in the year before that - so in 2008 - but who knows when she got the idea. I think in interviews she has said she had been planning to put in Eric's maker for a while. Season 2 of the show was on in summer 2009 so they would have been putting the story ideas together in the summer of 2008 (am I getting these dates right?) so right around the same time. But I don't think it really matters who thought of what first.

It's Sunday!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecat View Post
It's Sunday!
Yay! Now that I'm through with the books, I might move on to the short stories. Has anyone read them? I think they're all compiled in 1 book now.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Yes, the Sookie short stories are all in one book. I think it came out between books 9 and 10. It was pretty good. I had already read a couple of the stories, though. They were parts of other anthologies that Charlaine Harris contributed a story to, so I was a bit disappointed that not every story was brand new to me.

I think the book is called A Touch of Dead.

It's pretty short. I tried to make it last by only reading one story a day. That didn't last long. I have noooo self control sometimes.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitane View Post
It's pretty short. I tried to make it last by only reading one story a day. That didn't last long. I have noooo self control sometimes.
Tell me about it! I started book 10 with the intentions of making it last, since I knew I wouldn't get to read another for awhile....yeah, that lasted me 2 days!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 AM

I'm surprised they introduced Hunter so early. Anyone else?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 AM

I haven't watched last night's show yet but will later today hopefully!

Yes, A Touch of Dead has all the Sookie stories including the one that explains more about Hadley. Also, an anthology called Death's Excellent Vacation just came out at the beginning of August and it has a Sookie (and Pam) story in it. I'm picking it up from the library tomorrow!

Charlaine has also written many other short stories, some take place in the Sookieverse but don't feature Sookie. Two that I have read are one about the Brittlinggen (sp?) who are in book...is it 7? The book about the conference in Rhodes. It's in an anthology called Must Love Hellhounds. Also there's one with Dahlia - one of the Rhodes vampires and it's about revenge for the hotel bombing - it's in Crimes By Moonlight. I liked both of those.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola79 View Post
I'm surprised they introduced Hunter so early. Anyone else?
Since Im only on book 2, I havent gotten to his storyline yet. However, i cheated and read some of the plot summaries on wikipedia, so I knew he existed. Im not good with kids in dark situations, even fictional. Seeing him in the show last night, and hearing his little voice all scared made it really hard for me to watch those scenes. I hope he has a victorious stoyline.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
Since Im only on book 2, I havent gotten to his storyline yet. However, i cheated and read some of the plot summaries on wikipedia, so I knew he existed. Im not good with kids in dark situations, even fictional. Seeing him in the show last night, and hearing his little voice all scared made it really hard for me to watch those scenes. I hope he has a victorious stoyline.
I'm the same way! But his story isn't scary in the books, so he didn't freak me out in the show.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 AM

I thought Russell's tirade was hilarious! (And also sooo ironic because he really hates humans, but he's the only one telling them the truth!)

Kind of sad about Franklin. I mean, I know he's crazy, but it was fun to watch!

I think the Jason story line is boring. (Also, I'm just now realizing that the actor who plays Andy Bellefleur must have really broken his arm!)

Also surprised that they introduced Hunter and that Hadley still isn't a vampire. Is she ever going to be made one? Hmmmmm...
Old 08-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitane View Post
II think the Jason story line is boring. (Also, I'm just now realizing that the actor who plays Andy Bellefleur must have really broken his arm!)
What makes you say that?

It just occurred to me that in last nights epi, Crystal insinuated that Felton can turn into a were when he wakes up, and also Kevin getting beat that badly must mean Felton DID turn into a were and chew him up pretty badly.

But arent the hot shot were panthers supposed to only turn during the full moon because of all the incestial breeding? Thats a mighty big change too, aint it?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:

But arent the hot shot were panthers supposed to only turn during the full moon because of all the incestial breeding? Thats a mighty big change too, aint it?
My understanding is that some can, some can't.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola79 View Post
My understanding is that some can, some can't.
yes, in fact in the books Crystal is one that can only change during a full moon.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 AM

I am almost done with Book 3, and trully, I dont like Book Bill AT ALL. Not even a little bit. Matter of fact, I am so pro Eric right now, it might actually effect my show watching.

Its amazing how all the characters are the same, but the books and show are now SOOO different.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM

IMO book 4 is so good. You are going to like it.

Sara
Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I am almost done with Book 3, and trully, I dont like Book Bill AT ALL. Not even a little bit. Matter of fact, I am so pro Eric right now, it might actually effect my show watching.

Its amazing how all the characters are the same, but the books and show are now SOOO different.
Wait until book 4! I was always an Eric fan, but much more so after book 4.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:46 PM

I have an idea of what happens in book 4, so I am sure i am going to like it. Especially if there is less Bill. Trully, I cant stand him. And I really cant stand book sookie at the moment for being torn about how she feels about him. When she pulled herself away from him to go ask Eric to drive her home from Jackson, I thought, YES!!! GO GIRL. Show that a**hole Bill what hes going to be missing.

I mean really, what has Book Bill done except introduce her to Vampire sex? Lets tally, shall we?

He has fed from her CONSTANTLY. Making her weak and in need of extra vitamins and iron suppliments.

Even when she was wounded and in extreme pain, all he wanted to do was screw her. AND SHE LET HIM?!?!?! REALLY?!?!

He raped and nearly killed her.

He left her for Lorena, without so much as a goodbye.

He threw money at the Bellfluaers, whome he didnt even like, and let Sookie rot.

Really, I dont like him one bit.

Eric:

Has always protected sookie, never taking advantage of her (well maybe once, but sex never happened)

He has never fed from her, on accident or on purpose.

He did her driveway (I just read this and it made me SOOO happy when I did)

He has defended her, even against Bill.

Hes tall, Blond, muscular, and well endowed.

Really, to me, it just seems like a no brainer. But I have a feeling Sookies attraction to Bill is very similar to Alcides attraction to Debbie.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Wasn't the driveway just the best? If I didn't love Eric before that he had me after that. It gets better, too. (He gets her other practical gifts that make me swoon. )

While I did like book 4 the Eric in book 4 is not the Eric I love. Obviously he shows his adoration for Sookie but he just wasn't *Eric*. Shrug. It didn't do much for me.

Definitely reading the books first has coloured the way I look at many characters in the show but especially Bill. That's why my friend and I are always complaining about how they are making Bill such a hero in the show. He is NOT in the books.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecat View Post
He is NOT in the books.
NO, not at all! Hes really kind of a tool.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Really, to me, it just seems like a no brainer. But I have a feeling Sookies attraction to Bill is very similar to Alcides attraction to Debbie.
Yes! A "no matter how screwed up and lacking you are, enough of my love will compensate" relationship model.

I haven't started the books yet and I didn't like Bill from the beginning. While I always thought Eric was the hottest thing on two legs, I did think he was evil. Now, I am liking him more and more.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
I haven't started the books yet and I didn't like Bill from the beginning. While I always thought Eric was the hottest thing on two legs, I did think he was evil. Now, I am liking him more and more.
I really havent been able to figure out WHY she doesnt like Eric. I mean really, whats not to like? Hes more tender with her then Bill ever was.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Gina, you will love, love, love book 4! I did! I agree with everyone about the Bill show/book contrast. I guess that's why I'm so sick of seeing his face in the show....I could have screamed at the TV when they Sookie had sex with him after he attacked her in the episode before last. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
The book Sookie would never have done that!

User Tag List