True Blood: Book and Show comparison lots of spoilers, no tags - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 188 Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a new thread for those who are watching the show and have also read the books and want to talk the differences. If you haven't read the books and don't want to be spoiled this is not the thread for you.

I'll start. Debbie Pelt was exactly how I pictured her in the books, so that was neat. Calvin Norris looks like I had pictured him, but I can't stand what they are doing to his character. I liked that he was a respectful member of the community. Oh well I guess I'm going to have to let that one go. That's all I've got for now. I am wondering how they are going to incorporate Jason getting kidnapped and Sookie dealing with Calvin now. Also for some reason I pictured Crystal as having dark hair.
#2 of 188 Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM

I saw two episodes and the picts they let out for season 5 and didn't like all the changes from teh books. Its Dark Shadows soap opera like so to be honest, I don't watch it.

Eric should have LONG hair for instance..he is a 1000 year old viking for gosh sakes...
#3 of 188 Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Debbie Pelt was SPOT ON. Totally, exactly, the image I had in my head. I'm not really liking Calvin, either. I guess I'll have to see where they're going with it.
#4 of 188 Old 07-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Debbie was also how I pictured her. Janice wasn't! But they've changed the storyline quite a lot.

I don't like Calvin either. I wonder if they will make Jason a were-panther.

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#5 of 188 Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 PM

I think of all the characters, physically, Bill is the most true to the books.

I am also sad at how they are making Calvin a lawbreaker. Janice was also way off. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate the queen on the show. I don't think the way they've made her is any better. However, in the books you can at least respect the queen, so maybe they are making her unsympathetic for the show viewers for a reason.

Characters that are better on the TV show: Lafayette (obviously) and for some reason I like Jason better on TV than in the books.

Best character on the show but not in books: Jessica!

Also, we need more Pam in both the books and show! She cracks me up! I love how she is totally loyal to Eric but also loves to see how Sookie messes with him!
#6 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Eric did have long blonde hair in season 1 - Alexander Skarsgard wore a wig which I think I read somewhere he hated. I don't know exactly why they made the change but at the beginning of season 2 they did write in the hair change and now he just has his own hair. Which would not have been possible in the books since you can't change your physical appearance once you are turned.

Aquitane I totally agree about the queen and Jessica and needing more Pam! There is a short story coming out next month which is a story about Pam and Sookie taking a road trip. I can't wait to read it!

#7 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 AM

I have bene wondering about the appearance change of the Vamps. Franklin made a comment a couple episodes ago about liking to have a place to shower and shave. I was like, HUH?

The episode in which they cut Erics hair was HYSTERICAL! It was when Lafeyette was in the dungeon with that guy he hates. Eric came down to interrogate them while in a cosme cape and foil in his hair. The other guy took silver to him, and Eric lost his mind, ripping the guy apart. He then asked Lafeyette if there was blood in his hair, and Lefeyette told him yes. He then said Pam was going to be sooooo mad. In the next scene, Pam is going on about what a disaster his hair is and that they would have to go MUCH shorter then she planned.

In the midst of all this, I was also wondering how it was possible to cut his hair off without it growing back? So are you telling me that IS different from the books? That in the books, the vamps are more like the whats in the mythical history books?

Also, them drinking blood from brandy and wiskey glasses was making me . Also, the whole cigar thing, I was trying to figure out if that should have been possible as well, since, um vampires doint have BREATH!
#8 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Ok I haven't seen any of season 3 yet, but I've read all the books.

Love Lafayette. I love that he's in the show and such a big character. I really like all the Jessica stuff too. And Godric, I thought they did really well with him.

I don't get the Eric hair thing either. Or the constant stubble, how does that work? I guess if they had stubble when they were turned, it would always be there. Growing back after they shaved it. But heck, if Jessica's hymen grew back, surely Eric's hair would too?

The only one I don't think is as good on the show as the books is Bill. I'm so not a Bill fan, but I did like him better in the books. And Eric's just cast perfectly.

I really wish they would have kept Bubba in the show though. I can't wait to see what they do with Quinn.

Oh and what about Eric's maker? Godric isn't his maker in the books, but book 10, when his maker shows up didn't come out until after season 2, so I wonder if they'll just skip that whole thing?
#9 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdaughter View Post
Also for some reason I pictured Crystal as having dark hair.
Me too and more posh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitane View Post
I hate the queen on the show. I don't think the way they've made her is any better. However, in the books you can at least respect the queen,
ITA. The queen is actually one of my favorites in the books. Especially in book 7
#10 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

I also can't stand the queen in the show. I didn't start reading the books until after I watched season two so her character was already set in my mind. Even so I ended up really liking her in the end and was sad to see her go.

The whole cigar thing really annoyed me too. Also Janice said that Alcide was her little brother, so I guess they really are throwing the rules for how one becomes a were out the window. I was half hoping that we were going to find out that Sam's family wasn't really his and that was how his brother could shift too.

When I read book ten I was also wondering how they would handle that story line in the show. I am glad to see that at Charlene Harris isn't switching her storyline because of the show.

Love Jessica and Pam too. I am wondering if they will bring Claudine and Claude into the show, or if they are just going to leave that part of the story out.
#11 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdaughter View Post
I am wondering if they will bring Claudine and Claude into the show, or if they are just going to leave that part of the story out.
I heard (forgot where) that they will be apart of the show.
#12 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 06:03 PM

I loved how they wrote in Eric's hair change! Yes, definitely in the books the vamps can't change their appearance. There are references to them having bad teeth and haircuts and facial hair on the men. Sophie-Ann is described as having been about...14 or so when she was turned and her hair looked like it'd been hacked off.

As for breathing I can't remember (I get my stories mixed up!) if in this book series the vamps don't need to breathe at all but *can* or if they just need to take one or two breaths a minute or something. But I can't remember any references to them smoking in the books.

I also really liked what they did with Godric in the show.

Oh yes, I think there is some inconsistency there with Jessica remaining a virgin! Does not fit! How can her hymen grow back but not Eric's hair?

I didn't particularly like the story with Eric's maker in the books. I found it kind of boring and much prefer what they did on the show.

Claudine has been cast. I haven't heard anything about Claude. Alan Ball has said he isn't putting Bubba in which I think is a shame.

#13 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecat View Post
Claudine has been cast. I haven't heard anything about Claude. Alan Ball has said he isn't putting Bubba in which I think is a shame.
I can't wait to see who they get to play Claude and Claudine. I figured Bubba wouldn't be there at all if he hadn't shown up by season 2, but I still wish he was there.
#14 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 PM

Lara Pulver is cast as Claudine:

http://true-blood.net/2010/05/10/cas...dine-spoilers/

Not at all what I pictured!

#15 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Anyone got some advice for a true blood newb?

I started the books and have read the first three. I've also watched the first 3 discs of season one--just got 4 & 5 in today.

I can't figure out if I want to read a book or two and watch some, read all the books and then watch, or watch first and then read. Any thoughts on this??

Of course, I can probably read all the books and watch the seasons that are out on dvd in the next month. so not sure how much it matters.
#16 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh the Irony View Post
Anyone got some advice for a true blood newb?

I started the books and have read the first three. I've also watched the first 3 discs of season one--just got 4 & 5 in today.

I can't figure out if I want to read a book or two and watch some, read all the books and then watch, or watch first and then read. Any thoughts on this??

Of course, I can probably read all the books and watch the seasons that are out on dvd in the next month. so not sure how much it matters.
Well, I would probably finish watching season one and then finish the books. Of course I probably couldn't hold off on watching season two so I might just watch and read simultaneously.
#17 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Oh I love this show! We watched season 1 then I read all the books (except the latest-waiting on the library). I find it interesting to watch and see what they are cutting out or re doing. I feel like there is so much in the books, they couldn't put it in the show, but then stuff like the whole Mayanne deal, just went on so long. At least I thought so. This season seems a little mixed up.
#18 of 188 Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 PM

I know Bill says this in the books, but didn't he say it in the show too, that he was lucky he had just shaved when he was turned (or else he'd have a beard)? Again, the show appears inconsistent.

I always pictured Claudine as very Amazonian. The picture in the link fits the coloring Charlaine gave her, but she looks too "delicate" to me.

I love Bubba too! DH had heard that he WAS going to be in the show. I'll have to ask where he gets his intel. from!

Oh The Irony - I would read the books first. But that's just me, I'm a reader first, watcher second.
#19 of 188 Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 AM

I'd read the books first too. I read the first 9 books, then started season 1. Of course, then I had to reread the first nine before I started book 10.

There is alot more stuff in the books that they skip over on the show, but again, they add so much other stuff to the show. Like Tara. I'm not really into the Tara/Maryann thing (which is what we're watching right now) so I'd rather they put some of the stuff that was actually in the book on the show instead of that.

I wonder how much Claude will end up looking like Claudine?
#20 of 188 Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM

And I wonder what they'll do with Tara? I've wished JB were on the show too, but I guess they have the hot, dumb guy filled with Jason. But who will Tara end up with?
#21 of 188 Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
And I wonder what they'll do with Tara? I've wished JB were on the show too, but I guess they have the hot, dumb guy filled with Jason. But who will Tara end up with?
This is what I was wondering when I was watching last weeks show. I just feel sooo bad for her and in the books JB was the one that ended her craziness. I don't think I could handle watching her poor character be tortured forever.
#22 of 188 Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM

I think I read all the books (9 at the time) before watching any of the show. Now I've gone back and re-read the 2nd book while watching season 2 and ditto for the third. I don't recommend that as I get mixed up between what's happening on the show and the book. For me, though, it would be a simple matter of you've already read the first 3 which is more or less what the first three seasons of the show are based on. Season 4 won't start until next summer so, because I loved the books so much there's no wait I'd wait more than a year to watch season 4 before reading the book. And they are so different I am not sure how much it matters. Also if there were only 4 books that's one thing but because there are so many more books than seasons of the show I'd definitely just go ahead and read the books!

Someone somewhere was wondering if they are making Franklin more like Mickey. I was wondering that, too! Weird!

#23 of 188 Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitane View Post
I know Bill says this in the books, but didn't he say it in the show too, that he was lucky he had just shaved when he was turned (or else he'd have a beard)? Again, the show appears inconsistent.
I was thinking that, too!

Quote:
I always pictured Claudine as very Amazonian. The picture in the link fits the coloring Charlaine gave her, but she looks too "delicate" to me.
Lara Pulver is quite short so that is very different. Isn't Claudine supposed to be 6 feet or something? And I thought Claudine was blonde? I could be remembering wrong.

I really like the queen in book 7, too! She is very smart. In the show she's just insane.

#24 of 188 Old 07-14-2010, 03:04 PM

I guess I always pictured the queen similar to Michelle Trachtenberg (Buffy's sister Dawn) or Dakota Fanning, or along those lines because she's supposed to look 14 years old! Didn't she also wear Chanel suits? I thought it would be neat to see someone so young who is really soooo old! She was always calm and cool in the books. In the show she is neither.

I thought that both Claudine and Claude were brunettes with olive skin.
#25 of 188 Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Lara Pulver is quite short so that is very different. Isn't Claudine supposed to be 6 feet or something? And I thought Claudine was blonde? I could be remembering wrong.
I thought they were both dark? And I do think Claudine's supposed to be tall.

Quote:
Lara Pulver is cast as Claudine:

http://true-blood.net/2010/05/10/cas...dine-spoilers/

Not at all what I pictured!
I'm so glad you posted that link! That site has kept me entertained all morning!
#26 of 188 Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 PM

You guys are right - I looked it up and Claudine has dark hair! I don't know where I got blonde from. I have always pictured her that way.

I think I've posted about this site before but www.sookiestackhouse.com is great, too!

#27 of 188 Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Dh and I are finishing up season 2 right now and we just watched the first episode showing the queen. Could they have made any more different than she is in the books?

And what's up with Hadley? I'm assuming her storyline will be bigger on the show if they've brought her out already.
#28 of 188 Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
And what's up with Hadley? I'm assuming her storyline will be bigger on the show if they've brought her out already.

I honestly think they threw her in their for the book readers. Cuz Ive barely see her again.

ETA Even Rachel Wood drives me batty.
#29 of 188 Old 07-15-2010, 02:24 PM

There's a line about Hadley in the synopsis for episode 7. I know this thread says no spoiler tags but I'm not sure if that applies to what's coming up on the show? Anyway, it says
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Episode 307: “Hitting the Ground” (previously “Let The Bodies Hit the Floor”)
Premieres August 1
Imperiled by Lorena, Sookie goes to extremes in her attempt to save Bill – with unforeseen consequences. Sam infiltrates a dog-fighting ring to extricate Tommy from his parents’ greedy influence. Jason heads to jail to uncover the truth about Crystal; Summer makes a homecooked play for Hoyt’s affections; Debbie vows revenge on Alcide; Eric uses Hadley as bait to get information from Sophie-Anne; Russell turns his back on the Authority, and on the Magister. (Written by Brian Buckner; directed by John Dahl.)

So we'll see her again but probably not a big part.

#30 of 188 Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Well from the look of that spoiler, it would appear those scars on Tommys body were of extreme importance. Hmmmmmmmmmm, interesting. I thought they had made to much notice out of them, figured they must have done that for a reason. And for God sake, hes a pitbull!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page