The L Word, anyone??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 03-15-2004, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here watch this? Is there a thread about it already?

I love this show and it would be fun to talk about it - none of my IRL friends watch it!
#2 of 30 Old 03-15-2004, 07:08 PM

I watch it. We had a thread awhile ago but it didn't get alot of replies if I remember correctly.

I have mixed feelings about the new storyline with Bette and the right wing conservatives. I don't know, I guess I sorta feel that I don't need to be reminded that a certain faction of people hate GLBTQ's ya know.

The Jenny storyline with her boyfriend kinda gets on my nerves. I have no idea why they had them get married and when is going to get out of his house and take care of herself?
#3 of 30 Old 03-15-2004, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

I like Jenny less and less as the show goes on. I feel like she's sort of playing with Tim. Besides, I'm jealous of her - Marina is just unbelievably sexy!!! Seriously, though, she's got to figure out what she wants.

I started to cry last night when I found out about Bette and Tina's baby. That was just awful. I do agree with you somewhat about the storyline concerning the museum exhibit - I'd really prefer it to just be about obscenity and freedom of expression. It's not like it's news that there are people out there who hate gays. I'll cringe if I hear any "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve-type stuff."

On the other hand, ignorance, hatred and bigotry are certainly an ongoing theme in the lives of people in the GLBT community. I experience it on a regular basis - althoug it isn't usually directed at me, because there's that heterosexual assumption. It's usually just in the form of ignorant comments made to me or in front of me.

I really like Shane, but what the coming attractions for next week showed about what's going to happen with Rosanna Arquette's character made me yawn...so predictable. Big celebrity has secret affair with someone in a precarious financial or career situation, person wants to end it, celebrity threatens to ruin them if they do. Snore.

Who's your favorite character? I love Dana. Her storyline seems so real to me, and her whole "OMG, I'm gay and I don't know how to be gay and is that girl looking at me?" thing is so cute. I hope she and Laura get back together.

Glad someone else watches this!!!
#4 of 30 Old 03-15-2004, 08:06 PM

Oh, I agree with everything you said. Even though I'm from L.A. and know that homophobia exists there too (first hand unfortunately) I think I just was enjoying the fantasy that they didn't have to deal with it, lol.

I'm not sure I have a favorite on the show. They are so different. I do really enjoy the honest angst that Dana has gone through. And she annoyed me in the first two episodes.

I actually liked Jenny more this last week or two than I did before. She was just so freaking whiney and indecisive before. She and Marina were hot together though. But that road trip home was a waste of airtime IMO.

The whole storyline with Shane and her one night stands was hilarious, especially when she was having to deal with the fliers. But it ended so sweetly the way she reassured what's her name......? And this week she looked really hot in those glasses.

As far as Bette and Tina, that situation is kinda wierd. I was really sad when Tina lost the baby. And the ending, wow. I thought they did a good job of showing her kicking those fundies off her property. And great camera work when she was facing the door with her back to the camera looking like she was going to collapse. But of course she doesn't.

I love how Bette is so confidant in her sexuality and how OUT she is. It was really sweet last week when she came home early from the business trip because she was worried about Tina.

Notice that the hot sex scenes have slowed down some the last week or two?

That Marina and Francesca thing is odd. Love Lolita Davidovich though!
#5 of 30 Old 03-15-2004, 10:09 PM

What is this show and what channel does it come on? I seriously have never heard of it? I take it the L word means lesbian?

Kylix
#6 of 30 Old 03-15-2004, 10:31 PM

It's on Showtime with new episodes Sunday nights that repeat during the week. It's set in L.A. and is about a group of lesbians and bisexual women. It started about 2 months ago.
#7 of 30 Old 03-16-2004, 04:01 PM

I am sooooo in love with The L Word.

Hey, did you know "Lisa"'s character is played by Devon Gummersall, who was Brian Krackow on My So Called Life? Oh, that was one of my favorite shows!

I love the fundy storyline. I was so upset about Bette and Tina's baby. I so wanted to see her give birth to a big biracial baby at home in the water! I was bouncing in my seat when I saw she had that birthing pool, and the only thing I could think about was "DAMNIT! THEY'RE NOT GOING TO PORTRAY A POSITIVE HOMEBIRTH ON A HIP SHOW!!!!"

My favorite character is Dana. She's so cute with her issues she's trying to overcome. She's more "real", ykwim?

Shane is #2 for favorites. The only thing that drives me away from her is the whole druggie thing (her trying something she thought was blow in the one episode, and her hanging out with all those druggies). I wish they could portray somebody as straightforward and hip as her without there being drugs involved.

Jenny irritates me. That whole "Okay, I really want to be with him. Oh, he doesn't want to be with me. Good, I really want to be with her... wait... she doesn't want me... okay, I want him again!" thing is REALLY bugging the crap out of me.

Alice is too flaky for my tastes. Lisa is obviously way too damn annoying. I wish he could've played that cuter, without the whole "Hurry back, lover" crap.

Tim is too bland.

Bette is a great character, but too "power lesbian", all conservative. Tina is a bit flaky like Alice. If they ever break up, I can see Alice and Tina getting together.

Miranda and Francesca... their off on the sidelines in my view. I'm bored with those two.

Kit... I can see potential in storylines for her. But, I foresee her always having problems in her life... always facing her demons she'll never get over.
#8 of 30 Old 03-16-2004, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

I KNEW Lisa looked familiar!

I can't call him Lisa with a staright (no pun intended) face, though.

Yes, Arduinna, you're right, Shane looked damn hot in those specs.

Thanks for articulating exactly what's so annoying about Jenny, Journey! She seems to want Tim back only because she can't have Marina; I think if Francesca was out of the picture, she'd dump Tim like a hot potato. Francesca is an a$$ - I really don't like her.

The whole character of Kit bores me, not sure why.
#9 of 30 Old 03-16-2004, 09:55 PM

I love, love the L Word. Thanks to on demand, I've been know to watch certain episodes (or parts of them) um, more than once. What I think I like best about the show, is I want to believe the place and characters really exist Unfortunately, I'll be in LA for the first time at the end of April and know my bubble will be burst! Maybe that's a good thing, cause I have been accused of liking the show just a little too much

Jerri
#10 of 30 Old 03-16-2004, 10:05 PM

Oh, and my favorite part of the show is the opening scenes they have... Francesca cheating on Marina, Dana's mom trying to make out with her best friend as teens...
#11 of 30 Old 03-16-2004, 11:41 PM

In another thread I posted what I good thing it is I don't have cable.

And now I will whine, why, oh WHY, can't I have cable???? I want to watch this show!!!!!

Sounds very interesting.....
#12 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 01:22 AM

I don't watch but DH is addicted!! :LOL!
#13 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 01:29 AM

That wasn't Dana's mom in the barn scene at the opening. We had this debate on another board I frequent. After rewatching it, the names didn't match. Neither girls in the scene had the same name as Dana's mom.
#14 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 02:44 AM

They only used the name of the one girl in the opening scene (Leslie; the girl being kissed). When the other girl kissed Leslie, she said something that sounded like "Judith" but in actuality it was "Jesus!" (or a slipup). The picture on stage of Dana's mom with the horse was obviously the same girl. And, a more obvious indication that that WAS Sharon, Dana's mom, is that in the credits, there's "Sharon at 17). Hmmm... methinks I'm right! :LOL
#15 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Gotta agree with Journey on that one - I saw the same thing in the credits, which cleared up the uncertainty I had about whether or not it was Dana's mom.

But I never noticed the opening sequence with Francesca cheating on Marina! Which one was that???
#16 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 08:01 PM

Remember the opening scene with the gorgeous Italian prima donna in the dress, and the woman fixing it, placing her hands on the young woman's buttocks, then slipping her hand up her skirt? That was Francesca and the prima donna she cheated on Marina with that they discussed in this last episode. It was 2 ½ weeks ago.
#17 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, you're good. I didn't pay such careful attention. That scene was HOT, too.

All the opening scenes aren't attached to the main show, are they? Like the one where the cop arrested the guy in the restaurant bathroom?

Does anyone else find themselves mesmerized by Jenny's looks? She's way too skinny, but her chin and eyes are amazing. She's not my type, too waiflike, but she's beautiful in a haunting sort of way.
#18 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 09:50 PM

nope I don't find Jenny the least bit attractive.
#19 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I don't find her especially attractive either, I just think she's really interesting to look at!

Which one is more your type, Arduinna? I ask you this because I "know" you from over in the QP forum...so that brings me to question number 2, for others on this thread:

How closely do you relate to this show, sexual identity wise? Feel free to ignore my question if it's too personal!!!

Oh, and to answer my own questions, the first time they showed Marina on episode #1, I nearly fainted from lust, and in case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm bi!!!
#20 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 10:16 PM

HA, ya know I'm finding that my type is changing over time. Or more accurately my understanding of it is. Probably because I originally felt intimidated by butch girls in the past. I used to think that I liked more feminine women, but it seems I had to get to know myself better LOL. Marina is beautiful but not my type either. And finding someone attractive doesn't mean I'm actually hot for them ya know??

If we are strictly speaking looks here then Tina is probably mostly my type and so is Dana. I don't like high maintenance girls. Shane is really hot and has been getting my blood going. I wish they would bring on some more butch girls and be more diverse. I really like Alices personality.
#21 of 30 Old 03-17-2004, 11:10 PM

I've found Jenny's looks grow on ya', ya' know? Or maybe her looks have actually changed a bit since the first episode. I'll tell ya' though... I'm not crazy about anybody's hairdos... except maybe Shanes. Everybody elses hairstyles... yuck. Oh, maybe Francesca and Marina's hair's okay.

Anyways, I love Jenny's eyes, and her voice at times... like when she was sitting on the floor in the bathroom, and her girl friend was all like "Francesca?!" and Jenny was like "Yeah, I know, right?" That voice... those eyes... it does stick out.

But, when it comes to pure lust... it's all about Shane. Oh, my! I want to touch her! When the celebrity started feeling her, and she was like "Oh, well, okay..." and started getting into it.... wow... hot! I love her nipple confidence.

Alice is cute but WAY too flaky a character. Ya' know she's the one who plays a bisexual on the show, but she's the only "out" lesbian in real life?!
#22 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, a friend of mine told me that same thing aboutthe actor who plays Alice! Supposedly she did a lot of research about bisexuality (hmmmm, what kind of research would that be? Maybe I need a new career! ) and was quoted as saying that she was completely convinced that it is a third and separate sexual identity. Wahoo!!!

So the rest of them are straight in real life, I guess. I wonder why they didn't just get lesbian actors to play the parts? I wonder if I should be offended at that - you know, like the way they used to have Caucasians play Asians in movies a long time ago?

Also, as far as none of them being the least bit butch...I've read criticisms of the show only portraying "lipstick lesbians." I bet it's so men will watch. :

Journey, I like Shane's looks, too, but her body does zero for me. She is so bony!!!
#23 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 04:32 PM

yep Shane is wayyyyy to boney for me too. But I love the way they write her personality! And I love the fact that they aren't all middleclass educated women. I think Shanes past/present brings some important diversity to the group. They can't all be well off yuppie lesbians.

and ITA regarding why they chose to not have a more diverse representation of lesbians. Think they thought men might be intimidated by butches?
#24 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Not so much intimidated as not attracted to them. Men would never watch the show if the women weren't pretty. It feeds into their lesbian fantasy thing, I guess. Sure, cause that's what all lesbians want - a REAL MAN to join in and show them how it's done...:
#25 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 04:58 PM

don't even get me started on that one :

:LOL
#26 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 04:58 PM

Must note: The actress who plays Alice is the only OPENLY OUT lesbian on the cast. The way they've worded it in articles makes you wonder if somebody on the cast is in the closet?

Did anybody see that interview Bill O'Reilly did with the creator of The L Word and the actress who plays Bette?

Interview

Jennifer Beals (Bette) looked like she was about to cry. She kept blinking, and looked very stiff and nervous and defensive. The creator was very comfortable, and was sitting back in her chair. I wonder what went on before the interview... or was Jennifer Beals too uncomfortable with the interviewer? :LOL
#27 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 04:59 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#28 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 05:03 PM

Well, it's one thing to say someone sets off my gaydar it's another thing to speculate they are in the closet based on their emotional state in an interview. Just feels like a violation of their privacy. But to each their own.
#29 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 05:08 PM

Oh, no no no! I was not insinuating that she is in the closet. She's married. I'm not even going to try to guess whose in the closet. It's none of my business.

What I was saying is that actress appeared to be on the defense immediately about playing a lesbian on TV... something seemed very "off" with her in that interview. Something probably happened before the interview.
#30 of 30 Old 03-18-2004, 08:30 PM

ok sorry I misunderstood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page