Anyone else addicted to really bad reality TV? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-15-2004, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I confess, other than ER and Las Vegas, the shows on television that I just can't look away from are those awful reality TV shows!

Take Average Joe, for instance. You just *know* the snooty prom queen is NEVER, EVER, gonna pick the average Joe, but can I convince myself of this? No way. I have to stumble through an entire season of produced crap only to have it spelled out for me.

And will I be able to actually do something constructive tonight, like read a book or try for the gazillionth time to learn how to knit? No way, baby, because I will be glued to the tube to see the "triumphant" return of Adam! I could practically write the script for this show (anyone wanna bet that lame-o Malena comes back for a second shot????)

DH says it's just an excuse to veg out and be snarky. (he's right, actually )

My last confession-- remember that hideous Fox creation, Paradise Hotel? I actually couldn't look away! ARGH! A very sick part of me really got into that show.

I need to Kill My Television. I haven't had one in eight years, and the place we rent came with a little 12 inch tv/vcr combo, and now look what has happened...
#2 of 11 Old 03-15-2004, 06:55 PM

Yep.

I end up awake on a night where there's a show on and then I get hooked.

I wrote on another thread that it feels like a car wreck. I want to look away.....but I end up watching anyway.
#3 of 11 Old 03-15-2004, 07:51 PM

You have the power....

....look deeeeeeeeeep into my eyes.....

....you can pull the plug.....

....OR, you can pay me to come over and cut the (NON-umbilical) cord for you.

Call it an intervention-by-desire.
#4 of 11 Old 03-15-2004, 09:40 PM

I can go lower than that....every season I end up watching The Bachelor/Bachelorette series...and every season though I start watching it to make fun of it...I end up obsessed with who she/he will or won't choose & spend 2 hours watching those stupid finales and end up tearing up at the end. So embarrassing!

The other ones that get me are those Real World series...in the past I have lost entire weekends to when they do those marathons. Luckily now, I have finally gotten to the point where I am 10 yrs older than the people on that show and I can't even love to hate them anymore.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#5 of 11 Old 03-16-2004, 02:57 AM

OY!
I can't even tell my family what I watch anymore, they are so shocked.

I fluctuate between wanting to kill the tv or at least get cable so i can watch the quality stuff.

My addictions
American Idol
The Apprenctice (I swore I wouldn't watch-stupid Trump)
The Amazing Race
America's Next Top Model

At least I'm not a Fear Factor or Survivor girl (I say with my face adverted and a blush growing)

When did this tv takeover happen
#6 of 11 Old 03-16-2004, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

No need to be ashamed of "The Amazing Race".

That, my friend, is the holy grail of reality TV.

sohj, I may need an intervention. I'll turn the TV off....just after this next show...really.......
#7 of 11 Old 03-16-2004, 11:02 AM

My name is Jen and I'm addicted to reality TV
So much so that I joined the Fans of Reality TV Forum!
(Someone here posted the link though! )

Dh and I were just talking about reality tv last night, as a commercial for a new reality series (can't remember what it was) came on. He said "what is happening to tv" : I told him there were people out there like him who don't like reality tv and he said "where" ....
I told him sitting beside their SO watching reality tv pretending they don't like it!

Every time I see a new show come up, I think....that one looks silly...then like many of you have mentioned, I'm up late and get hooked! Man!

Jen

p.s I agree that the Amazing Race it awesome! Can't wait for the new one!!!
#8 of 11 Old 03-16-2004, 12:18 PM

I used to watch Fear Factor, but I'm off of that now. Dd usually isn't in bed by then, and I don't like her seeing it. Mine and dh's biggest reality weakness is Newlyweds. You know, the one on MTV with Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson. No matter how annoying Jessica can be sometimes, we can't help but really like her. Nick too. He seems like a great guy. We also watched the Carmen and Dave show. It was Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro planning their wedding. They both turned out to be surprisingly likeable too. Plus, Dave is just super-hot! I'm sure my dh had no problem watching Carmen Electra for a 1/2 hour either. Dave couldn't hold back the tears during the wedding. It was sweet.
#9 of 11 Old 03-16-2004, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank gawd I don't have cable or I'd be done for......
#10 of 11 Old 03-17-2004, 10:54 PM

omg, I am hooked on Newlyweds too! I don't know what it is but they are fascinating to watch. Jessica Simpson is so clueless its almost as if she were raised by wolves or something. Someone recently forwarded this quote from her: "When introduced to the Secretary of the Interior at the White House. 'You've done a nice job decorating the White House', said Jessica Simpson."
But somehow, she's so cute she gets away with it!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#11 of 11 Old 03-18-2004, 12:31 AM

Hooked on Survivor and America's Next Top Model.

I love reality tv. It's the only tv that I watch really.

I too think it is a chance for me to veg out and be snarky. I love watching people and their behavior and I love having someone to root for (or against) week after week. It's just so much more fun that sitcoms and drama.

I wish that pesky stereotype about reality tv would go the way o the dinosaurs.

Kylix

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page