Speculation on Penn & Teller vax episode - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any thoughts on how this one will go? I honestly can't see them saying vaccinations are bs. I'm thinking it will be that not vaccinating is bs. I usually agree with the way they think and am looking forward to see what they have to say. But I'll be a little dissapointed if they don't share my view lol. Of course they are saving this one for last.

caffix.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 PM

I thought I saw this episode on Netflix? Lemme go look...

ETA: Apparently not yet...I'm curious how it goes, we don't have tv so update when you can

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#3 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 PM

They said that organic food are recycling are BS (using flawed logic IMO), so I'm not sure if I put much stock in their opinions (entertaining though they may be).

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
They said that organic food are recycling are BS (using flawed logic IMO), so I'm not sure if I put much stock in their opinions (entertaining though they may be).
But I do agree with a lot of what they talk about. Hey, because of their circ episode I realized just how awful circ is. I'm just curious to see their take on the vax issue. I doubt if they are pro-vax they will make a vaxxer outta me lol.

caffix.gif

#5 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 12:26 PM

I'm pretty sure it will have a pro-vaccine slant and vaccinating being best will be the outcome. I'd love to be wrong and it would be great if they would actually delve into the issue with out a serious bias for vaccination (but I'm pretty sure when they asked someone to be on the show who is against vaccines they [a producer I assume] straight up told him they would not be siding with him).

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#6 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Interesting, when is this one going to be on? I haven't watched this show in quite awhile, but I did like it.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#7 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
They said that organic food are recycling are BS
how? i don't get how you could argue against either of those things..

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#8 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
how? i don't get how you could argue against either of those things..
I don't remember the recycling one as well, but the argument was that the energy that is expended for recycling defeats the purpose, or something like that.

They argued that organic farming is no better for the environment than non-organic, because of the added methane, and that organic food tastes no better than non-organic. They failed to even touch on the health risks of pesticides, however.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#9 of 11 Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

And they tried to make people who choose organic look like idiots by having taste tests with organic and non-organic foods. All the people who were into organic food were picking the non-organic food and were saying stuff like "oh, this has to be organic, it just tates to wonderful...blah, blah, blah...." For sure there has been episodes that really irk me. I have a feeling the vax one will too. They mentioned something pro-vax in the beginning of the "Fast Food" episode I watched last night. Of course, I don't have a problem with pro-vax, but sometimes when P&T argue against certain things they don't give the opposing view enough credit and bring out people who only represent a small part of the opposing issue, and don't sound very credible. So I can imagine they might make non-vaxers seem like Jenny McCarthy worshipping fruit cakes.

caffix.gif

#10 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well I watched this last night. And I have to say it was really weak pro-vax argument they presented. I really appreciated being called a "wacko" within the first 5 minutes. All they did was go after Jenny McCarthy, the autism link, and say that monkey brain, as long as it is for a good purpose is a good thing to put into our bodies. They didn't dive into any of the reasons why I don't personally vax and suggested that the only issue of the non-vax movement is autism. I heard a lot of "trust your Dr.,they know best". So way to go P&T...for not bringing anything worthwhile to the table. Possibly the worst eposide I've seen of a show I usually really enjoy. At least they got circumsicion right .

caffix.gif

#11 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM

That really stinks. I've never seen the show but appreciated having these guys on the no-circ side and thought it would be nice to have them on no-vaxing, but no such luck I guess. By the sounds of it their research was really lacking, what a letdown. Thanks for updating.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page