Hulu or Netflicks via Wii anyone??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Checking for feedback from anyone that watches their programs on hulu or netflicks via their Wii system. Looking into getting rid of our dish and replacing with one or both of these options. TIA for any feedback!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#2 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 PM

We watch the netflix on our wii. We love it.

The netflix only really has older stuff on instant watch though. You won't be able to find very new things on it. We have been watching things like Top Gear and really bad sci fi

You can get hulu on the wii but we haven't really used it much

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 PM

I don't use it on wii, because we get netflix through tivo so I don't need it on wii also. It's pretty good. Not blu-ray quality that is for sure. Sometimes I do get booted out of the movie or it pauses which is a PITA. I see the streaming as decent bonus feature to the primary reason I have netflix which is renting blu-rays and dvds but it will never be my primary source of programming until they increase selection, picture quality and streaming consistancy.

I personally can't stand hulu. I just think it's a crappy product all around.
#4 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 PM

I love my Netflix. Some of the shows & movies (like Heroes) are in hi-def. I've watched it on the PC, on the Wii & on the Xbox 360, and all three are easy to use.
#5 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM

I watch Netflix on my PS3, but lately Netflix has been going soooo sloooow that it take forever to stream movies.

So you can watch Hulu on the Wii? How does that work? I love using Hulu, there are several shows I watch via that site.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#6 of 17 Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

You stream hulu.com through your computer via playon (a downloadable software). I easily followed the "how to watch hulu on my wii" instructions on ehow.com.

I have buffering and skipping happening. There are some suggestions to hardwire one or both pieces of equipment (wii and computer) instead of using a wireless network. So, I am going to try wiring the computer and see how it goes.

Playon is not free. There is a small fee, but it is about 90% less than what we are paying for dish now.

#7 of 17 Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
I watch Netflix on my PS3, but lately Netflix has been going soooo sloooow that it take forever to stream movies.

So you can watch Hulu on the Wii? How does that work? I love using Hulu, there are several shows I watch via that site.
You can watch it on your PS3 also. Using the PlayOn program the poster above mentioned. It'll also give access to your YouTube account(s).

You can do a free trial.
#8 of 17 Old 08-08-2010, 11:18 AM

We only have the most basic of cable ($9/just networks) and rely primarily on Netflix. I've used Netflix streaming on the Wii, on our PS3, on my laptop and on our iPad and have never had a problem. Speed and quality are definitely affected by your internet connection. The quality is fine, it's definitely not HD, but that doesn't bother me at all.

The selection on brand new movies isn't great, but easily supplemented our actual DVD queue. The streaming television show, documentary and indie film selection is surprisingly pretty good.

As for Hulu, I've never had any luck, I think it's a craptacular service. However, they are rolling out a pay service that is supposed to be better.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#9 of 17 Old 08-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I love netflix on the wii. DH is watching something right now while he bounces the baby.

The quality isn't DVD quality, but it's definitely watchable. The only time we seem to have problems getting kicked off is if I am uploading pictures or videos at the same time.

And, added bonus, when you do watch an actual DVD it looks AMAZING.

They are starting to get more and more new stuff, which is awesome.

I use hulu on my computer to watch some newer shows that we miss. Some stuff on cable, etc. I didn't know you could watch hulu on the wii, I thought you specifically couldn't because it uses flash.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#10 of 17 Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 PM

So, I have to pay to watch on my Wii or PS3?! Lame. I would rather watch for free on my laptop.

I agreed to buy the PS3 because of the internet browsing capability. After watching YouTube a few times on it, suddenly my software was not up to date. I tried updating the PS3's software and it still wouldn't let me view videos. So, I have PAY to view YouTube?

#11 of 17 Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
So, I have to pay to watch on my Wii or PS3?! Lame. I would rather watch for free on my laptop.

I agreed to buy the PS3 because of the internet browsing capability. After watching YouTube a few times on it, suddenly my software was not up to date. I tried updating the PS3's software and it still wouldn't let me view videos. So, I have PAY to view YouTube?
You don't have to pay to watch Netflix on the Wii, at least not any more than your regular Netflix sub. You ask them to send you a disk that installs a viewer on your Wii and go from there.

I can't speak to the quality, because I'm in Mexico and can't stream Netflix without a proxy server program. I can do it on my computer, but it doesn't work for the Wii.
#12 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM

No, I know I don't have to pay extra to watch Netflix, I was talking about viewing Hulu and Youtube.

#13 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM

we watch netflix through the wii. Eventually, it will be the only tv/movies we watch once we cancel the cable.
#14 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hulu on wii?

We do netflix on wii but the selection is honestly not that great. There are some great tv shows on there, but most of the movies are terrible.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#15 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

I upgraded my internet connection for free, and now Playon is streaming without any buffering or skipping. I hadn't changed my broadband speed in almost 5 years, so the speed in the basic plan for the same price is much faster than what I had.

I am happy with the options on Playon. They offer episodes and features from CBS, PBS, ESPN, Comedy Central, MTV, CNN and others. They also include Hulu, Netflix (if you have a netflix membership) and Pandora.

Playon offers a 2 week free trial. We are going to explore it a little more before buying the software. The software is about 90% cheaper than what we pay for the Dish. I am really looking forward to getting rid of that monthly payment and hunk of metal in my yard.

#16 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 PM

To watch Hulu on the wii you just have to use the browser. it doesn't cost extra atm nor does youtube.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#17 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
To watch Hulu on the wii you just have to use the browser. it doesn't cost extra atm nor does youtube.
Hulu doesn't work for me through the browser. (At least, I can't figure it out). I can get to the page, and then there is an error. What's your secret?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page