Why did they change that Huggies Little Movers commercial? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The one with the baby who is fairly obviously (to me) a boy, and has a puppet, and made some cracks about Dad passing gas and blaming it on him and Mom using a rectal thermometer before shilling diapers? And now they gave the boy baby a female voice and she just says some stupid poem about wanting a pony and diapers that fit? Why did they change it? It's driving me insane!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, here's the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqNkhTqb4AM

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah who knows, someone must have found it offensive on some level, I am guessing. Is the baby supposed to be a girl now??

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#4 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I guess. The whole thing is weird. I was googling, but no joy. I did find out people found the "I poo in blue" commercial offensive, which is funny because I thought it was hilarious.

#5 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 11:32 AM

^ I thought the poo in blue was hilarious, but didnt they change it to?!
#6 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Google said it was banned, but I saw it all the time on TLC and DiscoveryHealth (I'm in bed a lot w/ this pregnancy, LOL!). I don't know.

#7 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM

I love the "I poo in blue" even though I think the idea of "blue jean printed diapers" is pretty silly. I saw it on Discovery, I think the TV as well as the computer, but I'm not sure.

DD totally loved this dog food commercial where the dog "says" "I'm not just a good pooper, I'm an optimum pooper." :LOL It used to run before weather forecasts on weather.com and we were doing a homeschool unit about weather so we saw that commercial like every day for 2-3 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m963J...eature=related

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#8 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 12:04 PM

That Huggies commercial drives me crazy too! Seriously, the baby was a boy and now a girl? Plus the poem is annoying.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#9 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 PM

I just mentioned the change to the commerical to my husband - he noticed it too! It looks like the video is the same (but I'm not sure) and the audio track was changed (except for the grandpa that says "time for cake!"). The original commercial was VERY funny and sarcastic but not offensive (to me). I'm assumming it must have gotten bad publicity for them to change such a funny commercial. The new commercial isn't funny at all to me. Oh, well <sigh>............
#10 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Just saw the new one with the girly voice, and I don't understand what they were thinking. The first one was funny!

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#11 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM

i've never seen that commercial before but it is funny! the i poo in blue one is funny too. "my diaper is full of chic"
here is that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ0M9CBEkw0&NR=1

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#12 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 PM

That is weird!

I'm another one who thought the 'I poo in blue' commercials were hilarious.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#13 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 AM

Somehow it makes me feel better I'm not the only one who noticed it changed! It's like watching a subbed movie now!

Honestly, the first one really did disturb me because the baby asks the mom why she is using a rectal thermometer on him when she doesn't have to because there are different thermometers now. It always gave me the major creeps like mom got off on inserting the rectal thermometer. It was disturbing.
#14 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 PM

If you listen to the voice closely, I think you will hear the same thing I heard the first time I saw the commercial. The voice sounds to be that of a middle age, to older (yes the timbre of your voice changes as you age, it thins out and sharpens) black (african american) male. Other people may have asked the same question I did - why would the white child have that voice to what he was thinking? It just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Not trying to be a racist here, just pointing it out. Try listening to the original closely and see what I mean.
#15 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Well Elmo's voice is that of a middle-aged black man. Why would a pink furry monster have a middle-aged black guy's voice? WHY NOT? It's like when my daughter stops me in the middle of freaking Madagascar and says... "But... mom... zebras can't talk."

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#16 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM

Oh, NOT TO MENTION, the zebra in Madagascar is also a middle-aged black guy.
AM, honestly, I didn't think about this before but now it's bugging the heck out of me, too. Thanks a bunch.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#17 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Well Elmo's voice is that of a middle-aged black man. Why would a pink furry monster have a middle-aged black guy's voice? WHY NOT? It's like when my daughter stops me in the middle of freaking Madagascar and says... "But... mom... zebras can't talk."

Yeah, I don't think they changed the commercial because of the race of the voiceover actor.

Quote:
AM, honestly, I didn't think about this before but now it's bugging the heck out of me, too. Thanks a bunch.
Heh. Sorry.

#18 of 18 Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 PM

@Annettemarie ...I agree, I don't think they changed it because of the voice type, either. I just think it was the nature of the the humor that involved comments people were probably "oversensitive" to. I loved the original commercial, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page