Today's Oprah...ARGH!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-19-2004, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a "Survive These Horrible Situations" show. A woman was just on who had to give birth to her twin daughters on her own in a car. So a physician who is a consultant for the Lifetime Channel said that the real danger in birthing on your own is the cord - "It MUST be clamped right away or the blood from the baby will go back into the cord." WTF?!?!?!?!? I guess physicians really do believe that crap, but that's so STUPID.

Also, Oprah said in a very dramatic voice-over during the story something like, "uh-oh, big trouble, the first girl was born, but the second baby's water hadn't broken yet. It would have to be done manually." Again, wtf? If the bag doesn't break during pushing, then it's a good thing that the baby is born "in the caul." Argh.

Birth is a natural event, shows like this only propagate the idea that it is inherently dangerous and we need ob's to save all of us before something terrible happens. Hogwash.

I'm so mad right now, I could scream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 03-19-2004, 01:01 PM

One more reason to stop watching Oprah.

Seriously, the woman is out of touch and promotes out-of-touchness. She doesn't want to know any better.
#3 of 27 Old 03-19-2004, 01:32 PM

Ive stopped watcing Oprah because of her promoting products with foreskins in them.

Might watch this one though, then write a letter.
#4 of 27 Old 03-19-2004, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Normally I don't watch, it just happened to be on this morning (ds was napping) and I just got so mad! After I calm down, I'll probably write a letter in. I doubt it will make much difference, but I'll at least know that I tried.
#5 of 27 Old 03-19-2004, 01:45 PM

Damn, what time does Opera come on where you live? It doesn't come on here until 4pm! (CST)
#6 of 27 Old 03-19-2004, 01:52 PM

The show hasn't aired here either, but I think now I'll be sure to watch. Hmmm... I think I'm drafting my complaint letter already....

What is wrong with these docs? The blood will travel back into the baby?!? (See, now I'm steaming and HAVE to watch) Oh no, her water didn't break. :

Neither did my ds's. He was born in the caul, and it was the coolest thing I've ever seen or experienced. He's 3 mos old, and I tell the story of his most fantastic birth to everyone I meet. I even got an OB to listen to my story this week and got a "wow" when I spoke of my intervention free, born in the sac, at home, full OP, squatting birth with no tears. I wonder what Oprah would say to that!
#7 of 27 Old 03-19-2004, 01:54 PM

She's in IL. It probably comes on around 9am, since it's usually a live airing in Chicago.
#8 of 27 Old 03-19-2004, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, in the 'burbs. It's on at 9.

If you watch it, could you tell me what she talked about w/the mom who had quints? I was so mad at that point I had kind of shut off my hearing! Just curious so I can add it to my letter, if need be.

Oh - and the mom w/twins was so glad that she thought to lay the front seat down and push w/her feet on the dash. Excuse me, but doesn't that sound like the lithotomy position to you? Yuck.

That'll teach me to sneak in the tv viewing!
#9 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anguschick1
Yep, in the 'burbs. It's on at 9.

Oh - and the mom w/twins was so glad that she thought to lay the front seat down and push w/her feet on the dash. Excuse me, but doesn't that sound like the lithotomy position to you? Yuck.
Oh MY GOD-- but,,, didnt the baby land on the floor!????
Gee, even if she was inclined to be on her knees with the seat for support she couldnt do that cause someone might SEE!!!!
Good thing Oprahs helping us to see how useful a hospital is.:

Laura
#10 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 01:47 AM

Sounds as worse as the TLC/Discovery junk.:

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#11 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 01:48 AM

It was a rerun. It aired a while ago when I used to occasionally watch Oprah.

I'm just wondering, if something like that ever happens to me what should I do? I'm not the type to have a uc on purpose, but I also had a pretty quick labor the first time and I've heard it can go faster the second time. Should I tie off the cord if it happens or just leave it alone?
#12 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 01:50 AM

Leave it till it's done pulsating, and even longer if you want to. Let the baby get all of the blood from the placenta that it deserves.

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#13 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Geez, I'd say leave it alone. However, most EMTs like to run in, cut the cord, whisk away the newborn and then haul 'em both off to the hospital.

Clamping the cord should be the LAST thing on anyone's mind. lol!
#14 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 02:31 AM

Sort of T

Pamamidwife, at least here in WA, EMT's aren't all in a rush to clamp the cord. My training (I'm an EMT) --the OB section was actually taught by a midwife-- emphasized allowing the cord to stop pulsing before cutting. Hopefully, the old standards of care are changing across the board...
#15 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Good thing Oprahs helping us to see how useful a hospital is.
:LOL

Isn't there some sort of mystical signifigance with being born in a caul? Or, at least, didn't people used to believe there was? I read that somewhere and then wished that one of my babies had been born that way.
#16 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by daylily
Isn't there some sort of mystical signifigance with being born in a caul?
Yep. Seers are born this way.
#17 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 02:24 PM

Seer's??? like as in psychics?? this must be quite neat to see;being born in the Caul--- Why is it called Caul?
#18 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daylily

Isn't there some sort of mystical signifigance with being born in a caul? Or, at least, didn't people used to believe there was? I read that somewhere and then wished that one of my babies had been born that way.
In celtic lore, if you are born in the Caul you are supposed to be immune from drowning.... not that I would test the theory, but it's a beautiful legend...

Where's XM? Her babe was born in the caul....
#19 of 27 Old 03-20-2004, 06:15 PM

Yes, seers like psychics (and in other ways).

I don't know why it's called "caul". I looked it up and the first definition for "caul" is net, etc. worn on the head. So, maybe that's why the call it that? I would do a google search or something, but I don't feel like it.
#20 of 27 Old 03-21-2004, 12:57 PM

"seers"
protection from drowning
talent in art and music
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
V

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#21 of 27 Old 03-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A number of years ago I knew a woman in her 60's who proudly told people she was born in the caul. They saved the caul. She was born in a port city and when word spread some sailors came to her house and asked her mother if they could make her the ... something... patroness? of their boat. They also wanted the dried caul to keep on the boat, as protection from capsizing/sinking. I guess that belief in protection from drowning is quite strong in some circles. I think there is a legend that Merlin was born in the caul, also.
#22 of 27 Old 03-21-2004, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by noodle4u
Ive stopped watcing Oprah because of her promoting products with foreskins in them.
uh....what?!
#23 of 27 Old 03-21-2004, 06:45 PM

I'm wondering about the foreskin issue here too.

I saw the episode and can't say it made me very mad. Actually, the drowning part was very interesting. The odd thing about the unassisted birth is that the danger does not come from "all the blood pumping out of baby" -- that's just bizarre. It seems like if you want to educate women on birthing themselves, the first issue is education about the cord as the baby is delivered -- like what if it's around baby's neck,, loose, tight, etc.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#24 of 27 Old 03-21-2004, 07:17 PM

maybe this is it...there is a company called Apligraf that "recycles" neonatal foreskins into skin reconstruction material for burn victims. apparently this is the greatest stuff ever for regenerating severe cases of skin loss.

i dunno, if people are going to snip anyway, seems like a pretty humane thing to do with the, ah, snippings.
#25 of 27 Old 03-21-2004, 07:50 PM

About the foreskin thing..

I saw an Oprah show, the topic I don't recall, but there were a lot of guests and experts and the like, all pitching 'good things'

Well, there was a woman who did tell of this amazing skin cream that rejuvinated the skin, and Oprah asked how it worked or something.

I distinctly remember the woman saying it was made from foreskins : Opera was a bit taked aback, saying 'what...you mean like from little babies?' and the woman said something like 'well, they would just throw them away' :

I remember standing up in the living room yelling at the TV

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#26 of 27 Old 03-21-2004, 10:43 PM

Hmmm, it's a shame that Oprah's medical professional didn't have more accurate info to pass on, but personally, I would consider delivering twins alone in my car to be a pretty horrible situation, not to mention scary, unclean and probably awfully darned cramped.

about the whole foreskin thing.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#27 of 27 Old 03-23-2004, 04:38 PM

Here's the foreskin story... check down to the last paragraph.
http://www.oprah.com/health/beauty/h...eatments.jhtml
Note the exclamation mark at the end of the sentence! How wonderful! I love wearing perfect baby boys' gential skin that was ripped off of them without medication on my face! Sorry. I'm not too fond of Oprah any more either. *sigh*

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page