Sister Wives! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 226 Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzylou View Post
Oh no! I won't be able to catch Oprah tomorrow. Bummer. Please recap for me!!
My cable company has a channel that reruns the show at 7 and I believe it's reran in the middle of the night as well. Hope that helps.
#122 of 226 Old 10-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Kissing your girlfriend right after you say that's it's really not cool (and after it's been expressed by your wives that they don't appreciate you kissing her before you two are married). Nice.
i was expecting to see them courting "duggar style". no kissing before marriage, not being alone together, etc. the last episode i saw, think i'm one behind, makes me wonder where he spent the night when he visited the girlfriend.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#123 of 226 Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
Tomorrow! I just looked it up on the website. Here's the link.
Thanks, I'm setting the DVR now!
#124 of 226 Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
i was expecting to see them courting "duggar style". no kissing before marriage, not being alone together, etc. the last episode i saw, think i'm one behind, makes me wonder where he spent the night when he visited the girlfriend.
It was interesting because Robin said something about how it wouldn't be appropriate for her to move into his house until they were married. I was surprised they kiss too--particularly given how much it upsets his wives and since they made a point of saying they wouldn't kiss before marriage.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#125 of 226 Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
I just saw that they are all going to be on Oprah...are we allowed to discuss that when it happens?
haha
I was just coming to post this. It looks like it is going to exiting and she is going to ask some though questions from what i seen from the preview
#126 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 AM

I just saw the Oprah preview -- and they show the girls getting very upset when they find out that Cody helped Robyn choose her wedding dress.

He also looks pretty pale when Oprah asks him if he has considered the possibility that he may end up in jail!

will be a very interesting show!
#127 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 AM

I just watched the 2 most recent episodes on a re-run last night. I really don't understand the way the women are drawn to Kody. They talk about him being a great husband and father, but I just don't see it.

I realize that all "reality" shows are to a certain extent, but this show just seems completely staged to me. And they aren't very good actors. Like the scene at the anniversary dinner - talking about how Kody would feel if Meri had another man. In the 20 years of marriage, the addition of 2 wives, and now a fiance, we're supposed to believe that they've never discussed this? And he couldn't come up with any other response than "it would be vulgar." I also felt like the scene with the daughter wanting to go to the Naval Academy was forced as well. I don't think that girl had any intention of wanting to go to the private school. I think they wanted it documented that they think children of poligamist marriages are discriminated against.

I'll probably watch the last episode, but I'm not sure where TLC wants this show to go. It doesn't seem to be about the kids, or even about how they balance the households. For instance, I would be curious to know how they manage the money. One big pot? Separate bank accounts for each wife? Granted, I'm sure TLC paid for it, but it was interesting how one wife said that finances were stressed and then Kody and Meri went out to a super expensive anniversary dinner and a trip to Mexico.
#128 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 12:32 PM

I agree - that are huge gaps. I would be interested to know as well how all the money works. Do the woman need permission from the others to spend money? Do they all have dinner each night together or is each home/wife doing their own thing?
#129 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 PM

I wonder how the logistics are going to work when Robyn moves in? When they showed Christine getting ready for the baby and how the baby is in her room simply because there is no space left. The house seems ok but not huge and they have mentioned several times about the space issue. Where is Robyn and her family going to go? Do they plan on adding on an addition? I did feel very sorry for Meri in the last few episodes. As someone who has gone through the infertility hell I get what she was saying and why she didn't want to jump on that rollercoaster again. But I don't think he understood where she was coming from. I can't imagine going through IVF while there is a very good chance Robyn will be getting pregnant around the same time.
#130 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 01:18 PM

I haven't seen every episode so can somebody tell me if they discuss their religious beliefs in any of them?
#131 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
I haven't seen every episode so can somebody tell me if they discuss their religious beliefs in any of them?
They mentioned in one episode that they try to pray together every night. That's all that I've noticed. I also wonder about that.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#132 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post
I agree - that are huge gaps. I would be interested to know as well how all the money works. Do the woman need permission from the others to spend money? Do they all have dinner each night together or is each home/wife doing their own thing?
They addressed the meal issue early on. Each individual family has breakfast as a unit (Janelle goes to work early so her oldest son is responsible for making breakfast for himself and his 5 siblings). Then for the most part it appears Christine makes dinner for all of them (or at least Christine and Janelle's kids, not sure if Meri and her daughter always join in). This was shown before Robyn moved closer to them.
#133 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 PM

I think I've figured out what all the tension is about-- there is a really intense chemistry between cody and robyn, you can tell they're ready to rip each other's clothes off! And they seem deeply in love. The wives are no fools so I'm sure they sense it too. So while they may all have been open to a 4th wife maybe they didn't realize how intense it would get, and the jealousy sprung up.
#134 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmum View Post
I think I've figured out what all the tension is about-- there is a really intense chemistry between cody and robyn, you can tell they're ready to rip each other's clothes off! And they seem deeply in love. The wives are no fools so I'm sure they sense it too. So while they may all have been open to a 4th wife maybe they didn't realize how intense it would get, and the jealousy sprung up.
I think you're right. The 2 of them are also new to each other. They have that new love giddy-ness (add to it that she's younger and pretty), so I'm sure that is hard for the other wives to see.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#135 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmum View Post

I pick up on deeply in love from Robyn but not from Kody but I do think Kody does have intense sexually chemistry with her though. 40 minutes until Oprah. I never watch her show but am really interested in seeing it today.
#136 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM

so......... what did y'all think of the Oprah Show today
#137 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

Just saw Oprah. Hadn't watched it in awhile and was surprised at how superficial oprah kept it - like not pushing about how their faith allows for the double standard. (I wonder if anyone will ever show other communal lifestyles that do nit involve polygamy...?!) Anyways, I really do love the 3rd wife and totally understand how the women can be drawn to having others around to meet the needs of their family. Goddess knows we were not supposed to do this mothering business alone!! I guess that's why I love my (bio!!!) sisters so much... It must also be a relief that no one partner has to try to meet ALL the needs of the other partner(s).
#138 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
In the first episode he said that they were Fundamentalist Mormon. He specifically said that they were not LDS, that they followed the teachings the mainstream LDS left 150 years ago.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#139 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcmama View Post
Just saw Oprah. Hadn't watched it in awhile and was surprised at how superficial oprah kept it - like not pushing about how their faith allows for the double standard. (I wonder if anyone will ever show other communal lifestyles that do nit involve polygamy...?!) Anyways, I really do love the 3rd wife and totally understand how the women can be drawn to having others around to meet the needs of their family. Goddess knows we were not supposed to do this mothering business alone!! I guess that's why I love my (bio!!!) sisters so much... It must also be a relief that no one partner has to try to meet ALL the needs of the other partner(s)

I saw some of that interview.  I do wish there were more to that question (and answer), but what could they possibly say other than "this is the way our religion is". Sure, they could have delved into their feelings, but ultimately, the double standard is part of their religion.

#140 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 10:06 PM

the whole Oprah Show today wasnt near as interesting as I anticipated it would be .. it was actually kind of boring
#141 of 226 Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsiLeaf View Post
i'm kind of obsessed with this show. haha.

I think my problem lies in the fact that he isn't taking his other wives feelings into account. Even though they chose this lifestyle and they are happy with it, I think that since he goes on about a family so much, shouldn't the whole family be in agreement?

I do like the 3 wives though. They seem like great mothers and great wives. He kinda gives me a weird vibe, but this show is just so interesting. It's neat to see others with different families.
Yeah, this guy gives me the creeps. Even if I were into poly, I wouldn't touch THAT guy with a 10 ft pole
#142 of 226 Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 AM

Oprah was not so good. I didn't feel like they covered anything new that has not already been covered from the Sister Wives show. I did like hearing that the sister wives feel that Robin has been a good addition to the family. Wondering when season 2 will start or if there will even be a season 2?

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#143 of 226 Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof5 View Post
Oprah was not so good. I didn't feel like they covered anything new that has not already been covered from the Sister Wives show. I did like hearing that the sister wives feel that Robin has been a good addition to the family. Wondering when season 2 will start or if there will even be a season 2?
I was wondering that too. I'm sure TLC would love to do another one and cover their potential legal woes, but I'm not sure if they will want to do it.

I felt the same way about Oprah though, there wasn't much new covered. Although it didn't seem as though Oprah had watched the episodes of the show. I would guess that if she had, her questions may have been a little different.

I was sad to hear that Meri lost her job though. She seemed really upset about it.

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png

#144 of 226 Old 10-15-2010, 01:08 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Like the scene at the anniversary dinner - talking about how Kody would feel if Meri had another man. In the 20 years of marriage, the addition of 2 wives, and now a fiance, we're supposed to believe that they've never discussed this? And he couldn't come up with any other response than "it would be vulgar."
In their culture, this is an extremely bold question for a woman to ask. So I think it's completely believable that she hadn't brought it up before. And again, due to culture, it's also plausible that his only response would have to do with "that wouldn't be right."

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#145 of 226 Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Did anyone catch why she lost her job? Can you terminate someone over their religion or lifestyle?
#146 of 226 Old 10-15-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Did anyone catch why she lost her job? Can you terminate someone over their religion or lifestyle?
She didn't specify exactly. If it's at-will employment though, they can fire her for any number of things. They could have said it had more to do with the publicity of the show than her religion.

#147 of 226 Old 10-15-2010, 02:27 PM

I have lost a little interest in the last few shows. The previews show what is going to happen. The wives are going to help the girlfriend find her wedding dress and the saleswoman will question their relationships. Then they will get married. Blah blah blah move on already. I feel like the last few shows, excluding the new baby, didn't really show much. I'm not sure how much farther this show can go, honestly. I hope I am wrong.

Plus the wives keep telling Kody how they feel and he just does not care. Or understand.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#148 of 226 Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:

She kept saying they felt it would be better for the company but didn't really go into too many details. I felt bad for her. She seemed really upset. I can only imagine work may have been a nice escape for her.

I was so not impressed with the Oprah show. She went over things we already know and I wanted her to ask some questions that the show didn't answer like, since Meri is the only legal wife how does Christine have health insurance since she doesn't work? I assume Janelle has health insurance via her job.

Kody just gave me the creeps even more watching the show.
#149 of 226 Old 10-16-2010, 01:52 AM

That is a good question, how does Christine get health insurance?

It surprised me when Janelle said that she is not open about her family life to her coworkers. I think she mentioned on the show that she couldn't really talk about all the kids. I would think that they could be more open about it in their area? Isn't it pretty common and accepted to be poly?

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#150 of 226 Old 10-16-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
That is a good question, how does Christine get health insurance?

It surprised me when Janelle said that she is not open about her family life to her coworkers. I think she mentioned on the show that she couldn't really talk about all the kids. I would think that they could be more open about it in their area? Isn't it pretty common and accepted to be poly?
Having lived there...I can definitely say no...it is not common or accepted. I probably should stop there though--don't want to get in trouble!

My heart broke for Meri when she was talking about losing her job on Oprah. Clearly she's got issues with the lifestyle (even if she chose it) and that job was clearly very important to her.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page