Sister Wives! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 226 Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else excited to see this start on TLC? I'm watching the clips on TLC's website right now.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 226 Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 AM

Oh, I want to see it. When does it start? *too lazy to google*

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#3 of 226 Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
i want to see this too!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#4 of 226 Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 PM

Dh and I want to see this too! I think it comes on Sunday?

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#5 of 226 Old 09-21-2010, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would like to see it also. I think it will be interesting.

luxlove.gif Mommy to my 2 girls 2whistle.gif,joy.gif and 1 little boy thumbsuck.gif.  Wifey to my amazing stillheart.gif husband!  blowkiss.gif Loving my every moment of motherhood! 
#6 of 226 Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM

yes sunday it is. i ave to DVR it later in the week because of other shows being DVRed... i will be checking in here for how it was

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#7 of 226 Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Eh, I'd only watch if it were Brother Husbands.
#8 of 226 Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Sunday the 26th. I think at 10pm. I have it set to record in case I'm not back from work.

#9 of 226 Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing it too... I just hope I can stay up that late!

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#10 of 226 Old 09-25-2010, 02:09 PM

i'm so excited!!!
subbing!

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
#11 of 226 Old 09-26-2010, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

It's tomorrow! I'm so excited.

#12 of 226 Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 PM

how is this show legal?

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#13 of 226 Old 09-26-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
how is this show legal?
Freedom of speech? Lot of illegal stuff ends up on TV like shows about users of illegal drugs. Whether or its wise of a TV station to broadcast a program showing what is technically illegal behavior is another question (not weighing in on that one!)--but this isn't really breaking any new ground in a broad sense.

In terms of the family, I believe they are in Utah and the AG there has said he won't go after polygomous families unless there is abuse involved so it's unlikely they will be prosecuted. Plus doing so would likely be a public relations nightmare for the state. If this show is anything like other shows portraying unusual family arrangements, it will likely cast them in a sympathetic light.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#14 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 12:24 AM

I started to watch the show, and I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes. Something just rubbed me wrong...

As for the polygamy part, so long as his has not legally married each wife (ie: marriage certificates for each) it is legally considered an affair, or other such arrangement.
So long as he doesn't attempt to get married to the other women through the state, he is fine.

As for the abuse part, I have heard that one a lot.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#15 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 12:26 AM

I really enjoyed the first episode. It's like real life Big Love. I was delighted to see that they encourage and allow the children to follow their own paths regarding religion and marriage.

I suppose I am of the "live and let live" camp. If it floats their boat, more power to 'em. I admit that the thought of extra wives actually seems appealing to me in some respects.

I'm curious to see what others think.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#16 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 AM

I totally plan on watching this show. I missed it tonight but plan on catching a rerun.
#17 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hmmm both DH and I watched it and I also love Big Love. But in my opinion I thought it was well done.

I don't care what your family looks like, big/small/single parents/gay parents/straight parents/etc...
I just don't care. As long as a family is happy and healthy then whatever works for them is perfect for them.

I was concerned that it wouldn't be a healthy family but I was plesently surprised and even said as much to DH. Take away the "three wives" prejudice and it really appears to be a normal, happy, healthy and well functioning family. Isn't that what counts?

I do not agree with the whole "compound" life as shown in the show Big Life or in real life like Bountiful or others. But that is because to *me* not depictions of happy, healthy or well functioning.

This family is headed by four consenting, smart and (as far as I can tell) educated adults who knew what they wanted and who they wanted to marry or be with. That's enough for me. Especially when you see the kids also appear to be happy, healthy and well functioning.

I can't wait for next week. The fourth wife dynamic is interesting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#18 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM

man i loved it. my bff would be a great sister wife
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#19 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 PM

I was surprised that DH sat down and watched it with me last night. Overall I liked it. While it certainly doesn't represent a huge portion of polygamous arrangements in this country (and I sincerely hope this show doesn't distract from the plight of those women and girls), it is nice to see a happy functioning family.

I did tell DH that if it didn't involve sharing him, I can totally see the draw of having other women you are close to around to co-care for kids, knowing there's always someone there to back you up.

But I'm the totally selfish type so I'm not sharing

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#20 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Dh and I just watched it on the tlc site...its up there if you havent watched it yet, so no waiting for a rerun.
It was interesting. I find it very complicated, especially for the man. How he can balance a job, 12 kids, 3 wives, and have alone time for himself PLUS date another woman is ......well.......insane!!!! He must be exhausted and confused most of the time!
I think the kids are great in this show, and the wives all seem really happy together, so good for them .The addition of the 4th wife is going to prove challenging, I bet. They all seem content and used to the situation as it is now, so adding a newbie is going to cause some sparks for sure. Looking forward to the next one!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#21 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Watched it with dh last night, furiously texting my "wife" in Baltimore. (We'd like to live communally, but not actually have a shared marriage).

Here's my concern with this lady as wife #4. She already has three children from a previous relationship. While Kody has 13 children with 3 moms right now, those kids all have the same dad and have all grown up together living in their communal arrangement. How will these kids do with going from one mom to four? Is their father in the picture? It just seems like this will complicate their life.

#22 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Watched it with dh last night, furiously texting my "wife" in Baltimore. (We'd like to live communally, but not actually have a shared marriage).

Here's my concern with this lady as wife #4. She already has three children from a previous relationship. While Kody has 13 children with 3 moms right now, those kids all have the same dad and have all grown up together living in their communal arrangement. How will these kids do with going from one mom to four? Is their father in the picture? It just seems like this will complicate their life.
good point!

i really liked it! it does raise some questions for me thought... maybe a spin off??? i really dont know how he does it. good show and i cant wait to see te next one!

#23 of 226 Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 PM

I'm totally obsessing over this right now! I live in Utah... in Lehi, where the Browns live, no less (it's not exactly a SMALL town anymore, I don't know them), and did lots and lots of research on polygamous sects in the state throughout college.

I am pleased to see they picked a "normal" family. It shows that polygamy can work when consenting ADULTS choose it for themselves. I do worry, though, that as people become sympathetic to polygamists will shrug their shoulders at the atrocities committed by the large sects in and around this state. The bad things that happen in those communities are just horrendous.

Oh... and I will keep my eyeballs peeled for this family around town, that's for sure!!
#24 of 226 Old 09-28-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I I do worry, though, that as people become sympathetic to polygamists will shrug their shoulders at the atrocities committed by the large sects in and around this state. The bad things that happen in those communities are just horrendous.
Can a person really become complacent when faced with the atrocities some polygamist sects inflict on their women and children?
I find it very hard to imagine that a person would shrug their shoulders at rape, child abuse (physical and sexual), physical/emotional/physical abuse against the women, sanctioned incestual rape, etc...

But maybe I have more faith in people than I should.

ETA: I just realized that my statement is slightly off-topic. I don't mean it to be.
I am glad that TLC found a "normal" family to show, and that it will make people more aware of how a polygamist family can be, rather than the cult sects like the ones that appear on the news or are outlined in exposes and biographies.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#25 of 226 Old 09-28-2010, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, I really liked this show, but I am not sure why. There house layout seems really cool, also odd.

They did not address some things that I am interested in. Or maybe I missed it?

What happened to the wife#4's first husband?
How far apart did he get married to the first three wives?
Is he only legally married to the first wife?

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#26 of 226 Old 09-28-2010, 03:27 AM

Please keep in mind that, here in the Television forum, we only host conversations about the television show Sister Wives. We do not host news stories, celebrity gossip or speculation, etc. Please stick to discussing what you see on the show. Thanks!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#27 of 226 Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
Wow, I really liked this show, but I am not sure why. There house layout seems really cool, also odd.

i had the same questions! good to know im not the only one.

here is a clip from an upcoming show (can i post this???)... they plan to add on for the 4th wife. the TLC web site has awesome clips for the show. kind of a sneak peek, if you will.

i also think its really cool how they get along as one huge family. the kiddos are all sooooo loved!!!

#28 of 226 Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 AM

Yes, that's fine.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#29 of 226 Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post

I don't think they mentioned what happened to wife #4's first husband yet.

I think they said he married the first wive (Meri) about 20 years ago, and married the 3rd wife (Christine) about 16 years ago. The oldest boy is 15 years old, and I believe he was born about 3 months after Christine married the husband.

I don't think they ever said if he and Meri are legally married, but assumed so. He wouldn't be able to legally marry the others in that case.
#30 of 226 Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 AM

DH and I watched this show on Sunday. We missed the first 20 minutes so maybe some of you can enlighten me about somethings...

Did they explain what the husband does for a living? How much he participates in day-to-day family activities etc.? Did they interview him too as they did the 3 wives? I was just wondering because the part I saw didn't show him much and he always seemed more like a side-line player than really active in what was going on. Then again, with 3 wives and 12 kids I can't imagine how you can keep up all the time!!!

DH and I were both sort of scratching our heads when it comes to the why of it all. I don't have any problem with consenting adults living in this sort of arrangement but I know we sure would not be happy with it! I mean, I would love to have more help around the house (ideally MIL would live closer!!!) but even though I would go crazy if she was underneath the same roof as us. Plus, the jealousy issues, yeah, I'm definitely not the kind of girl who could share.

But I'm still enjoying the show and am looking forward to seeing some more. I found it funny that all the 3 wives so far kind of look a like. I actually had problems at first telling them apart. I think the 4th one is going to cause A LOT of drama and I really don't know if that's a wise idea. Like one of the kids said, they all grew up together and the 4th is definitely going to be seen as an intrusion. It doesn't help that her kids have a different father (and I guess I can somewhat speak from experience growing up in a blended family). Also, I can't even imagine the jealousy issues, she definitely looks different than the other wives AND she's younger. Hmm... I'm very curious to see how this will play out....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page