The Event... what did you think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still making up my mind about it. The airplane at the beginning... are they just trying to pull in old Lost fans? What are your thoughts?

I'll probably watch next week again at least...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM

It worked for me ... I'm totally hooked on this show. I'm really excited!!!
#3 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 03:05 PM

I enjoyed it!

And yes, I think they're trying to suck in us Losties. Worked for me!
#4 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 05:55 PM

It definitely sucked in this Lostie! My jaw dropped in the final few mintues. I'm sticking with this one for a while.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#5 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM

A mash-up of Lost and Flash Forward, both of which I loved, so I'll keep watching.
#6 of 28 Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM

OK - we have a brand new DVR and I'm still trying to figure it out, so I didn't watch the whole thing. We don't watch much TV because we don't have time during the week, but seeing the trailers on TV for this intrigued me and I recorded it.

After seeing the ads, I was talking with a good friend. There is this one forum I go to (don't post, just read) of emergency preparedness and survival and they all there thought it is going to be a "survival"/"disaster"/"2012" kind of show. They still do, it seems. I've never seen Lost or Flash Forward, so I can't compare it to that.

I don't think it's a disaster show... I think it's a gov't conspiracy show. When I was talking to my friend before it even aired, I said, "I don't think the 'Event' is something disastrous that happens. How much you wanna bet that it's going to be 'Event' as in 'Event Horizon'?" Disappearances and all the intrigue. Then lo and behold, this airplane gets sucked into some kind of wormhole at the end. Yep... event horizon! In fact, when I watched part of it, dh saw the last few minutes and when I told him the name was "The Event" he said, "You mean, as in 'Event Horizon'?"

I could be wrong, but this probably has something to do with the US government building a particle accelerator. I find that intriguing, as we like it when science and mystery are combined. I will learn more about how to use the DVR and will be recording it. Hopefully I will find the time to watch the whole pilot before then.
#7 of 28 Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm on the fence. I'll give it another episode and see how I feel.
#8 of 28 Old 09-22-2010, 05:27 PM

I don't want to start a new show with a new baby. BUT, I did enjoy it. I think its aliens and the government working together.

Christian, father of Santiago (HB 9/6/10) and loving husband to Wendy.
#9 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really liked it! Dh and I agree with the alien/government working together storyline.
#10 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 PM

I hated it. All the skipping around was really distracting & annoying. If it were up to me, we wouldn't ever be watching it again. Dh was completely unimpressed, but determined to give it another chance. Or he was, he's getting less & less inclined to watch it again the further we get from it.

Given how awful the ending of Lost was, a show trying to be Lost is a complete turn-off.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#11 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 PM

I do not like the skipping around its distracting and makes the story hard to follow. I think it is either people from the future or aliens working with certain parts of the government.

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#12 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 04:48 PM

The timeline skipping around thing bugged me too. But that seems to be the new trend.... Lost, Flash Forward, etc did it too. And it bugged me then. When I sit down to rot my brain with some television, I don't want to have to try to remember which events happened first.

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#13 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Well, I'm definitely intrigued enough to keep watching. The skipping around was a bit annoying, but maybe it'll tone down as the season goes on.

I'm thinking maybe aliens, but maybe some secret scientific project. Don't know much about the whole "event horizon" concept, but from the little I've read, I can see how that would come to people's minds.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#14 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 PM

This show is freaking me out.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#15 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Yep, aliens. You guys are good. I still wonder if the Event is event horizon.
#16 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 AM

I'm missing Lost and was thinking about watching this show until aliens were mentioned.... What can I say, I'm alone at night and some things creep me out. Maybe I could watch it with DH on weekends.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#17 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I'm on the fence. I'll give it another episode and see how I feel.
Yeah, I found the first half rather boring and kind of annoying with all these flashbacks. I really don't want another show like Lost, honestly, so if it's just nothing but titillating yet nonsensical scenarios, I'm out. But I have to admit I like the idea of aliens.
#18 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
I'm missing Lost and was thinking about watching this show until aliens were mentioned.... What can I say, I'm alone at night and some things creep me out. Maybe I could watch it with DH on weekends.
If it helps any, so far the aliens look just like people.
#19 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM

I was kind of hoping that when the plane disappeared, it would reappear on an alien planet. I thought THAT would have been pretty interesting, with the group of plane survivors on aother planet trying to get home.

But...no such luck. Oh well. I thought last night's episode was so-so.
#20 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Oops double post!
#21 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 PM

I was totally expecting that the non-incarcerated aliens would've taken the plane passengers hostage...a little quid pro quo (sic?). Would like to know why they went a little more...extreme.

I'll give it at least a few more eps. or maybe the whole season...but am feeling a little undecided.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#22 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 11:28 PM

Eh, I'm out. I am not interested in another LOST with all the back and forth time lines and conspiracies.
#23 of 28 Old 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaSophie View Post
I do not like the skipping around its distracting and makes the story hard to follow. I think it is either people from the future or aliens working with certain parts of the government.
I just watched the first two episodes last night. I'm not completely in love with it but I'll keep watching for a while and see where it goes. I definitely had to overlook a few nitpicky things (like that the phlebotomist wouldn't have realized the alien guy had a fake vein - that tubing was nothing like a real vein!) I like this idea that these might be people from the future rather than stricly aliens. It would make sense as to why at least some of them seem to care about what happens to regular human beings (though apparently there is a faction that does not...)
#24 of 28 Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 AM

OMG, I am getting COMPLETELY sucked into this show! I was really take-it-or-leave-it for the first episode. I was a little more interested after the second, but last weeks completely blew me away. I am totally hooked. Anyone else still watching??

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#25 of 28 Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM

It's confusing but I'm hooked!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#26 of 28 Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just watched two episodes back to back but watched them in the wrong order. That was dumb.
#27 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 PM

I am watching it but it doesn't have me sucked in yet.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#28 of 28 Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM

I really liked the first 2 episodes, but the last two were soooooo bad I stopped watching. Car chases, shoot outs, dragging the beautiful but bound and gagged young woman around and threatening to kill her, more car chases, stupid computer hacking scenes, lame dialogue ("he'll never, ever stop looking for me!"), blech. Boring, formulaic, and not enough the of the aliens. Too bad, I had high hopes. Of course, if I don't like it it's sure to be a hit. (RIP Flashforward)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page