Biggest Loser Premieres Tonight! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't wait.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM

I'll be watching! I finally got into this show last season, and I really liked it.
#3 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Good deal!

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 32 Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 AM

I love this show. Hands down, my favorite show on TV these days.

I still cannot believe how GREAT season 8 winner Danny looks. Absolutely amazing!

I missed about 20 minutes of it getting DD to sleep.
#5 of 32 Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Pregnant women should not watch this show. HORMONES

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 32 Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 PM

So, this is my first season watching from the very beginning, and I feel sooo bad for the contestants that don't make it! It's so hard, because they all need the show and their stories are all so sad.
#7 of 32 Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM

nola79, I felt bad too, but I have this nagging suspicion that they might bring them back and give them another chance later on. That poor guy who collapsed on the one mile run just meters from the finish....and all the stories were so painful and heartbreaking. I think they will be back.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#8 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_y_sol View Post
nola79, I felt bad too, but I have this nagging suspicion that they might bring them back and give them another chance later on. That poor guy who collapsed on the one mile run just meters from the finish....and all the stories were so painful and heartbreaking. I think they will be back.
Yeah, I did get that feeling when they showed clips of the new season, and said they had a few surprises in store. hopefully so, that would be cool
#9 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM

I think they're going to give them a chance to come back...probably one of those "in X days you'll be weighed in again and the one that's lost the most weight..." kind of things...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#10 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM

I know it's a TV show, so it's about drama and ratings, but I am getting tired of weight loss shows that feature only extremely obese people. It's pretty easy to get chronic fast-food/sugar overeaters healthier. What about the rest of us who already eat pretty well and exercise but need to lose weight? I would love to see something that speaks to my situation; I can't be the only one.

That said, I watched it, at least 1/2 anyway. And I compulsively watch any weight loss show. I particularly like the British show You Are What You Eat. That has the same type of unhealthy participants as Biggest Loser though.

And yes, I believe they'll bring back those participants who didn't make it on. No way they would have delved into their stories for no reason. From a narrative perspective, it makes no sense.
#11 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM

I felt so bad for the one guy who fell, and the poor woman who lost her 3 y.o. Definitely glad to have this show back

"What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"

Mae/Heather (28) married DH (30) on June 26th 2010 heartbeat.gif Just got our first pos.gif, so baby #1 should be arriving some time in April 2012  - BFPChart2.gif  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/maevankat  

#12 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
What about the rest of us who already eat pretty well and exercise but need to lose weight? I would love to see something that speaks to my situation; I can't be the only one.
There are a couple Canadian shows that do this if you get our TV at all.
#13 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
There are a couple Canadian shows that do this if you get our TV at all.
Yes, there are a few Canadian shows that usually start with more average people, or people who are even fairly close to a healthy weight.

A few that come to mind are:

The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp
X-Weighted
Bulging Brides

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#14 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 03:41 PM

Anyone notice that pretty much everyone had had someone close to them die? The emotional manipulation of the audience was more blatant than ever this year.
#15 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree about the blatant emotional manipulation. After a while, everyone's stories started to merge and I couldn't keep them straight.

I think the people who didn't make the cut will be brought in the middle of the season as a "surprise twist".

It is so irresponsible to make people that are that out of shape (300-400 pounds) run and do 500 steps. I don't remember her name, but that one young woman who was out of breath from the steps was having an asthma attack, but Jillian was talking to her like she wasn't trying hard enough. Ugh. That kind of "training" isn't something anyone needs. Sometimes Jillian borders on being cruel and manipulative.

I would like a season where the contestants have maybe 40-100 pounds to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
I still cannot believe how GREAT season 8 winner Danny looks. Absolutely amazing!
He does look great. WTG, Danny!

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#16 of 32 Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
It is so irresponsible to make people that are that out of shape (300-400 pounds) run and do 500 steps. I don't remember her name, but that one young woman who was out of breath from the steps was having an asthma attack, but Jillian was talking to her like she wasn't trying hard enough. Ugh. That kind of "training" isn't something anyone needs. Sometimes Jillian borders on being cruel and manipulative.

I would like a season where the contestants have maybe 40-100 pounds to lose.
I so agree! I keep thinking it's only a matter of time until someone dies. Was it last season, or the season before where they started with the big run on the beach and that woman collapsed and spent the first few weeks in hospital? And I really don't like Jillian. It disturbs me that she has her own show now and can influence even more lives.

I am actually in Canada too, so I have seen those shows. X-Weighted is a favourite, especially the first few seasons before they brought in all the experts, and all they had was Paul. I really liked the fact that it was co-operative vs competitive. Alas, we have cut back the cable and no longer get the channel that has all those shows.
#17 of 32 Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 PM

anyone else still watching? This was the newest thread I could find...

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#18 of 32 Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Watching right now.

#19 of 32 Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post
I particularly like the British show You Are What You Eat. .
I also really like watching that show.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#20 of 32 Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 PM

We are watching

Not all those who wander are lost 
#21 of 32 Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM

I admit to taking renewed interest when anna was brought back onto the show. I don't like how much Jillian is favoring her though.

Any favorites so far?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#22 of 32 Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 PM

I like Ada and Patrick. Elizabeth gets on my nerves and I think she should have been gone a long time ago.

#23 of 32 Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM

i am so pissed that mark went home. but from the after clips he looks smokin, FIREdevil.gif

elizabeth should have gone home a long time ago. so annoyed.

ugh i love ada though. she rocks!

and frado is not my favorite at all but i am so amazed he is off all his meds/shots. that is just so cool, he looks so much younger.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#24 of 32 Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar View Post

i am so pissed that mark went home. but from the after clips he looks smokin, FIREdevil.gif

elizabeth should have gone home a long time ago. so annoyed.

ugh i love ada though. she rocks!

and frado is not my favorite at all but i am so amazed he is off all his meds/shots. that is just so cool, he looks so much younger.

I feel the same way about Frado. I don't really like how he comes across in the show, but he has done very well and it was sweet to see him with his family.

#25 of 32 Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 AM

I agree that Elizabeth should have gone home long ago, but I watched a deleted scene where Dr. H talks to her about her progress.   The reason she hasn't lost as miuch weight is that she has gained so much muscle.  I think he said more than any other contestant, possible in the history of the show.  Interesting, at least...

#26 of 32 Old 12-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post

I agree that Elizabeth should have gone home long ago, but I watched a deleted scene where Dr. H talks to her about her progress.   The reason she hasn't lost as miuch weight is that she has gained so much muscle.  I think he said more than any other contestant, possible in the history of the show.  Interesting, at least...

Interesting. I never would have known that otherwise!

#27 of 32 Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 PM

Anyone watch the finale tonight?  All I will say is that I was very happy with who won.  It was a good season.  The previews for next season look interesting!  Starts on January 4th.

#28 of 32 Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 PM

me! Dh took care of ds all evening so I could watch. I was really, really, really rooting for Ada, but I'm happy with who won. I still think Ada shouldn't have given him the car, though.

#29 of 32 Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 AM

I loved Ada, but I was soo happy with who won.

#30 of 32 Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 AM

I was really hoping Ada would win.  I don't think Patrick deserved it.  He was all about the money.  I don't think he has taken the lessons he has learned and taken them seriously as a life change. He will be back up at least 100 lbs by this time next year.  Ada and Frado seem to me that they will keep off the weight. 

BFing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing mom to Noah(7) and Sully(1). Our third blessing due March 13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page