Parenthood season 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody still watching?

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#2 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM

I am!
#3 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!

Kristina and Julia both annoy me sometimes. They both get this snotty holier-than-thou attitude. Like, this week when Kristina is like "so she just walked into your office, that's weird" talking about Sarah walking into Adam's office!

And, I was totally laughing about Adam's boss flirting with Sarah.

So, I'm curious what you all think about Crosby and whether or not Jabbar should stay with him? I think he should have been more involved in the decision, but that having a little boy living on a house boat with a sort of flighty dad could be a bad thing. BUT, it's not like tons of kids haven't grown up on house boats before. It would depend on Jabbar's personality, I guess.

#4 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm still watching! I hope we get more Amber soon. The way the teens are written is probably my favorite thing about this show. The relationship between Haddie and Max is really beautiful.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#5 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
I'm still watching! I hope we get more Amber soon. The way the teens are written is probably my favorite thing about this show. The relationship between Haddie and Max is really beautiful.
Yes, amber is my favorite. I hope we see more of her!

I also have a soft spot for julia-- working mom and social awkward. I don't know why she always get's dumped on.

Kristina also pisses me off, I feel like she always comes up smelling like roses, but she irritates the heck out of me!

I think the jabaar should have stayed with crosby, and the mom's treatment of him was outrageous! I think he would have done just fine, and the mom should take more responsibility for fixing the screwed up relationship that *she* created. I'm excited to see the next episode.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#6 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

I think the jabaar should have stayed with crosby, and the mom's treatment of him was outrageous! I think he would have done just fine, and the mom should take more responsibility for fixing the screwed up relationship that *she* created. I'm excited to see the next episode.
That's what I think, too. Even if the mom was genuinely concerned about safety on a boat (and I have issues with kids and water, so I think I would be really nervous if one of my kids was living for 6 weeks on a boat without me), she could have asked him to see if someone in his family would let them both stay with them while she was gone.

I want more Amber, too. And yes to Hattie's relationship with Max. I think they've really balanced the surface typical relationship between an often (normal) selfish teen aged girl and her annoying little brother with the under current of unconditional love and devotion. It's like they really let you see the woman that Hattie will eventually become and the maturity she already has underneath the front she puts up. It's such a real relationship, and TV doesn't capture things like that very often.
#7 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what did you you all think of sarah and adam last week? I thought that it was sort of selfish for sarah to go back and ask for credit for her idea. It's like poor adam can't get a break anywhere, and is expected to constantly pick up all the peices for everyone else.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#8 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM

I'm watching, but I don't know they all act in ways that make me want to slap them sometimes. Moreso that almost any show I've previously watched. They all act like a bunch of morons with the emotions just wayyy over the top.
#9 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Kristina and Julia both annoy me sometimes. They both get this snotty holier-than-thou attitude. Like, this week when Kristina is like "so she just walked into your office, that's weird" talking about Sarah walking into Adam's office!
I noticed that little dig on Sarah from Kristina and I think it's one of those subtle true-to-life things that I really enjoy about the show. Kristina has her shallow, mean moments. I've done much the same thing with my own dh regarding his own flaky parents.

Quote:
what did you you all think of sarah and adam last week? I thought that it was sort of selfish for sarah to go back and ask for credit for her idea. It's like poor adam can't get a break anywhere, and is expected to constantly pick up all the peices for everyone else.
I thought it was exactly what she needed to do, but it was really poorly, unfortunately timed. Her dad was totally right that time, she needs to get in the habit of standing up for herself to get the credit she deserves, for her good ideas. A man in her same position would have done so automatically. And if it had been Julia instead of Sarah I bet Adam wouldn't have tried to take credit for the idea. But because of Sarah's reputation in the family, it didn't occur to him till later that that wasn't cool.

It just didn't help that Sarah was being a real pill about the open cups of coffee in his car on top of needing him to cart her around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I'm watching, but I don't know they all act in ways that make me want to slap them sometimes. Moreso that almost any show I've previously watched. They all act like a bunch of morons with the emotions just wayyy over the top.
Yes, that's why I can count on getting teary-eyed at least once, frequently multiple times, per episode.

Dh reluctantly enjoys watching this with me (he'll play his D&D game while it's on) and this weekend he took to saying, "I hear you. I see you." He also especially appreciated Adam's advice to Crosby about wives: just apologize. Adam says three "I'm sorry's" every morning when he wakes up.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#10 of 32 Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel like Sarah was really pressured into standing up for herself by her dad. But at the same time I thought she deserved the credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
See, I want to slap them all sometimes, but I feel like it's because many of their emotions are so true-to-life. A bit of embellishment for TV, but fairly realistic.

#11 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Yay! We got a little Amber and some really great Haddie scenes! I enjoyed all the storylines last night, actually. Kristina is really starting to annoy me, though. For a while I was only catching the WOHM slights, but it feels like they are starting to paint Kristina with the "bored and overly-into-her-kids" SAHM stereotype now. :/

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#12 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 PM

Well I wish they would do something different with Sarah's character her desperate neediness to be liked is really annoying. Kristina is over the top with the smothering and then playing the victim. And Amber is just obnoxious, watching her reminds me how grateful I am my kid never acted like she does. I thought the dads got the best stuff this week, it was great seeing Crosby stick up for himself with Jasmine's mom, and Adam push to connect with Max and Julia and * can't remember her husbands name now* discuss another child.
#13 of 32 Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 PM

He's Joel and I'm really liking his character too. Last season they implied that he chose to be the SaHP but this season he said its because of the economy. I did not like that he seems to still be letting Julia push him around on this issue. I get that he'd rather be making stuff than dealing with preschool but are preschool politics really as bad as he's making them out to be?

(This is going to sound dorky but I had a picture of the This Old House guy in my locker when I was a teen but how cool (and a bit sexy) was it to see a character build something.)

----------
I know it's hard to separate Lorelie and Sarah sometimes but the GG epi where they go to the Bangles concert aired right around when this concert thing happened. Anyway, it really emphasized the difference in the two characters for me. I think Lauren is going a great job of negotiationg our expectations from Gilmore Girls in creating a new character. Obviously, there stuff she can't change. She looks the same and has a teen daughter but other than that he's rocking it.
#14 of 32 Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM

This has nothing to do with Gilmore Girls for me. Frankly there were some things about Lorelie that annoyed the crap out of me too but they are different than the annoyances with Sarah. I don't know if it's the way she is playing it or the way it's written ( I personally blame the writers in both instances).
#15 of 32 Old 09-30-2010, 06:09 PM

Ok I know this is SO last year but it's been bugging me. Colby was in deep with his then gf.. planning on a baby and marriage and was willing to make a in 3 years time thing with her... what the heck ever happened to HER?? And how did he go from a semi sleezeball to this perfect dad?
#16 of 32 Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 PM

I am watching too...

I hurt watching Adam's character....he's such a great actor and they give him the most dull stuff to work with. Don't like Kristina, HATE Julia (I actually just tink I don't like the actress either that much....)

I too miss the teen stuff...that's the best/most touching to me.....I like Sarah most of the time but I actually think she is fairly Lorelei-like. but that's okay wtih me I guess....

I LOVE Crosby but I think they are working up to him demanding more even at the risk of his romantic relationship with Jasmine...I think he's getting walked on but is taking it because he values the "family" but I think he's going to have to stand up to her and demand more as a father....at least I hope he does...I think they were also hinting about him and Minka Kelly's character as a possible romantic match....though I like Jasmine more, I think he deserves more....
#17 of 32 Old 10-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Still watching, still enjoying.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#18 of 32 Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 AM

I think Amber and her new friend will come out as being girlfriends soon. I just really caught that vibe last episode.

I am loving season 2 so far!!!
#19 of 32 Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamama View Post
I think Amber and her new friend will come out as being girlfriends soon. I just really caught that vibe last episode.

I got that too! I thought maybe I was reading too much into it but maybe not if you noticed too?
#20 of 32 Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 PM

Yeah I thought the same thing about Amber & her friend.

I really like this show.

Live and love with your whole being.
#21 of 32 Old 10-06-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Disclaimer- I'm always a few days behind, because I have to watch on Hulu when I get time. So if any of what I say was addressed this week, sorry! I'll catch up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
Ok I know this is SO last year but it's been bugging me. Colby was in deep with his then gf.. planning on a baby and marriage and was willing to make a in 3 years time thing with her... what the heck ever happened to HER?? And how did he go from a semi sleezeball to this perfect dad?
I think maybe the concept is that he really got his sh!t together after becoming a dad. He still has some growing up to do (but hey, *i* still have some growing up to do!), but I was so happy to see him stand up for himself. I have the feeling that Jasmine's family may still have some resentment toward him left over from when they thought he disappeared on them. Plus the grandmother's obvious misplaced resentment based on her own husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
I know it's hard to separate Lorelie and Sarah sometimes but the GG epi where they go to the Bangles concert aired right around when this concert thing happened. Anyway, it really emphasized the difference in the two characters for me. I think Lauren is going a great job of negotiationg our expectations from Gilmore Girls in creating a new character. Obviously, there stuff she can't change. She looks the same and has a teen daughter but other than that he's rocking it.
Hahah, I had the same thought about the Bangles concert! I think that the Sarah character is removed from the Lorelai character by way of the daughters. Amber is SO different from Rory. Also, the Sarah character is needy in a different way, more unsure of herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolilybear View Post
I am watching too...

I hurt watching Adam's character....he's such a great actor and they give him the most dull stuff to work with. Don't like Kristina, HATE Julia (I actually just tink I don't like the actress either that much....)

I too miss the teen stuff...that's the best/most touching to me.....I like Sarah most of the time but I actually think she is fairly Lorelei-like. but that's okay wtih me I guess....

I LOVE Crosby but I think they are working up to him demanding more even at the risk of his romantic relationship with Jasmine...I think he's getting walked on but is taking it because he values the "family" but I think he's going to have to stand up to her and demand more as a father....at least I hope he does...I think they were also hinting about him and Minka Kelly's character as a possible romantic match....though I like Jasmine more, I think he deserves more....
I really don't want to see any romantic things happen with Max's teacher (therapist? what's the term for her?). I don't mind a bit of tension, but I don't want to see him screw up and cheat on Jasmine. If he and Jasmine break up (and I think they will) then I have no real problem with him and the teacher, but it would, of course create drama (but, the show is a drama, so it's bound to happen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamama View Post

I had that same thought!!! But I thought I was over-thinking it. Then again, I think about my relationships at that age. I'm straight, but there is something *different* about highschool friendships between girls. The lines are more blurry than they tend to be as we get older.

#22 of 32 Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM

This is my favorite show on tv. I can't get enough of it!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#23 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 AM

Oh the halloween episode was really good.
#24 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 02:37 AM

I love this show. I finished season 1 last week and am finally caught up with the current season.

I love Crosby. Sarah is so insecure and annoying though. I prefer her with the guy who works in the shoe warehouse.He seemed to really like her. I don't think things will end well with the Billy Baldwin character.

Amber has really grown since the first season.
#25 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM

We're enjoying this show too. It is hard to differentiate between Gilmore Girls and this show just because we've been obsessed with GG for SO LONG. lol I'm just glad to see Lauren Graham again on a regular basis. She's such an amazing actress!

We loved the Halloween episode too. It was nice to see Max have a big victory and the moments between the couples over raiding Halloween candy were really cute!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#26 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Loved the Halloween episode! This is becoming one of my favorite TV shows. Which says a lot because I usually watch a lot of sci-fi shows LOL

I like how realistic it is, especially that the main family is not overly traditional and certainly not perfect. It has regular family drama, not insane drama like someone getting stalked/kidnapped, everyone having affairs and all the teens on drugs/arrested/pregnant. Most shows would like us to believe that's how we all live LOL

Nope, some parents really are hardworking or overprotective or going to counseling. And some teens are shy or studious or quirky.

Rhianna
#27 of 32 Old 11-26-2011, 11:34 AM

BUMP for season 3! anyone still watching?

I watched the pilot ep when it came out a few years ago but I didn't get into it. Just got back around to watching and I am hooked! What on earth did we do before netflix/hulu to catch up? just miss an episode? unacceptable!

I don't like the gap of time between the end of season 2 and the start of season 3. I hope they address what happened with Jasmine and Crosby during that time. When we left off Joel told him to "try again," and he was showing her the house , and then all of the sudden he has a "special friend"?

I was sick to my stomach over the whole Haddie/Alex pressing charges issue.. I really enjoy his character but I totally get why he needed to take a break from her. I hope they get back together!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#28 of 32 Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Anyone know who covers the Grease song in S3 E9 (Sore Loser)- it plays right around 19:00 when Amy and Drew are outside kissing

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#29 of 32 Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm watching! It seems that letting time lapse between seasons is a new trend, they have done it on a few other shows this season. I like they actually show baby Nora in the show, it makes things so unrealistic on shows where a main character has had a baby but then you rarely see the baby, or they are holding a doll completely covered with blankets and a hat. I think the portrayal of Max's challenges is spot on. It did seem to me like Haddie and Alex needed a break, they are so young and their relationship was already so serious. Amber seems to really be growing up and realizing what the real world is about. 

#30 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Love this show! I am not sure they have much of a choice in jumping several months between seasons. There are too many various aged kids (actors) on this show, that are growing up fast. For shows to keep a steady timeline they usually get different actors to play the kids as they age. And that would be aweful for a show like this.

I love the teens on this show, especially as they related to the grandparents.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page