Food Network has officially lost it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok it's actually on their new Cooking Channel, but it's owned by Food Network so....

Bitchin' Kitchen

They are kidding me right?

I'm just at the decor, the neon green eye shadow, nail polish and the baby doll with the blood. Not to mention the non stick cookware LOL and her accent and attitude.

Did I miss something or did 80s hair bands come back in style again and all of a sudden are the new cooking show demographic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I haven't seen the show but I googled it and read this http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...rean-edge.aspx and watched the youtube video.
I don't think it's that bad. Not my style of humour, and not enough actual cooking talk, but I bet I know a few people it would probably appeal to!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

She sounds and looks a lot better in that article than the show I saw. And she isfrom Montreal? I didn't realize they have a NY/New Jerseyish accent there. She talks like a cliché of a mobsters moll on the show.

I will give her credit for one thing, she has got me to quit saying freaking. At least she has showed me what an idiot I've sounded like.
#4 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
She sounds and looks a lot better in that article than the show I saw. And she isfrom Montreal? I didn't realize they have a NY/New Jerseyish accent there. She talks like a cliché of a mobsters moll on the show.

I will give her credit for one thing, she has got me to quit saying freaking. At least she has showed me what an idiot I've sounded like.
She does sound like Italians from Montreal (I know - my home town). She might be playing it up a bit, though, lol
#5 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can see how she might really appeal to the Rockabilly set...which is huge.
#6 of 15 Old 10-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Um, yeah. She's rockabilly (which is kick-ass but not my style), not 80s hair bands.

Bitchin' Kitchen has been on FoodNetwork in Canada for a year or two now. I enjoy it because it's kinda funny (try thinking of it as a spoof), but her over-the-top accent is a bit much at times. The segments with Hans, italian guy, and guy-whose-name-noone-can-pronounce are amusing.

Check her out on YouTube. She did a YouTube show of Bitchin' Kitchen on her own before FoodNetwork picked her up.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#7 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 AM

I think it fits in with the demographic that Cooking Channel is for- youngish (and not so young) foodies.

Food Jammers is another show that fits that demo.

I am just happy that Julia Child is back on the air!!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#8 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
I am just happy that Julia Child is back on the air!!
She is? What is the show called? I would like to see if it's on FoodNetwork in Canada.

I find most shows on FoodNetwork (especially the newer ones) to be really annoying. The hosts just can't seem to stop talking and they have the need to verbally describe even the minutest of detail. "Now I'm going to put this in a bowl!" Argh.

My favourite cooking-demo show is Chef At Home. I like the competition ones too, like Iron Chef, Top Chef, etc.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#9 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not thrilled with the new cooking channel in general. I think the only thing I'm watching on it is French Food at Home, which I do really like and Spice Goddess. I'm watching to find recipes I want to cook, I don't need a host that is overly concerned with looking cool or using bizarre hand gestures to look "rock and roll". I'm there for the food, not a fashion statement.
#10 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 03:10 PM

I love bitchin kitchen!

Honestly the first time I watched it I hated it! NOW I LOVE IT!!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#11 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 03:21 PM

We are not thrilled with the Cooking Channel either. We watched an original Iron Chef episode and we swear they changed the music and some of the narration. They made it boring! We also watch part of a Julia Child and Company show. She was so not on top of her game in that episode. We were so sad at her fumbling, we turned it off. ;(

I still like some of the Food Network shows, but we are getting more and more disinclined to watch anything there. Alton has gotten cockier. Meh, just not as good as it used to be. Still love Chopped though!
#12 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieAnn View Post
She is? What is the show called? I would like to see if it's on FoodNetwork in Canada.
If I remember the title correctly, it's "Julia Child and Company" or something...

I have noticed that AB has gotten more cocky- but I think that comes with becoming a "star" and doing more shows. I have noticed that Bobby Flay has definitely mellowed.

I watch Cooking Channel for Foodography, Two Fat Ladies, Nigella Lawson, Food Jammers, and Bitchin' Kitchen. But maybe I am just the kind of person they are catering to.

(I still <3 Good Eats, Diners Drive-ins and Dives, and Iron Chef on Food Network)

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#13 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 PM

I stumbled upong Bitchin' Kitchen the other night. I couldn't take the accent and wasn't interested in the dishes she was talking about so I turned it off.

I'm really glad the Cooking Channel is around, though, for the oldie but awesome Julia Child & Company and Two Fat Ladies. Oh, goodness, how I love those Two Fat Ladies. Nigella's pretty good too, but I admit I don't really tune into her for the recipes.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#14 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 PM

I saw it the other day. It was terrible, but at the same time like a huge train wreck. I couldn't NOT watch it. So I did. 30 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Amusing though, in its own bizarre way.

I am sure she appeals to a younger demographic, so good for her. She is out there making a living, whatever way works best.

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#15 of 15 Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieAnn View Post

My favourite cooking-demo show is Chef At Home. I like the competition ones too, like Iron Chef, Top Chef, etc.
Goodness, yes.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page