Monica and David: A documentary about a couple with DS who get married - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HBO has a documentary about two adults living with down syndrome who get married. I watched it this morning and wanted to recommend it. It warmed my heart to see their love story and how their parents encourage and support them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to see that! Thanks for the reminder.
#3 of 7 Old 10-18-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I wanted to see that! Thanks for the reminder.
Please post back when you do watch it. It was so sweet. A little sad but uplifting.
#4 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 AM

I completely agree -sweet and a bit sad. I was so sad when the moms were talking about their fears about what would happen to Monica and David when they die.

Did you see at the end where it said Bob legally adopted Monica? What a great man.
#5 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I completely agree -sweet and a bit sad. I was so sad when the moms were talking about their fears about what would happen to Monica and David when they die.

Did you see at the end where it said Bob legally adopted Monica? What a great man.
I was so glad the moms vetoed them working in Publix. I've witnessed how mean people can be to people with disabilities and it would break my heart to have my child treated that way.

Bob is a great man. I cried when Monica read the letter she wrote to her father. At the risk of being judgmental, how on earth can he abandon his child?

It warmed my heart when David wanted to check his own glucose levels and Bob stood around to make sure he was going it right. There aren't a lot of Bobs in this world.
#6 of 7 Old 10-23-2010, 10:16 PM

I JUST watched it today! What a great film! One of my dear friends has a sister with little girl with Down's. I want to tell her about this film.

I wonder if either of them ended up with a job? They went to that one place, but at the end it said that they hadn't found employment yet. I think it would be great if they could be placed somewhere loving and supportive.

It was sad when the moms talked about dying and leaving the kids behind. Does David have any siblings? I'm guessing no. (It was clear that Monica didn't.) That would be a terrible fear for a parent to face.
#7 of 7 Old 10-23-2010, 10:42 PM

Oh, I'll have to try and catch that! I used to work doing supported living, mostly with adults with DS, and I have a dd with special needs who will never be able to live independently, so I'm always interested in that stuff.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page