S/O - Is Spongebob EVIL? Why or why not? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
Aw tarter sauce, I missed the obvious sarcasm.
My DS gets it all mixed up. When he's angry, he'll yell "OH BARNICLE SAUCE!" Uh, ew. :

And I may or may not have the F-U-N song as one of my ring tones (where Spongebob says "f is for friends who do stuff together, u is for you and me, n is for anything anything at all, here in the deep blue see. And then Plankton says "f is for fire that burns down the whole town, u is for uranium...bombs. N is for no survivors....." :

And *ahem* I suppose I'll also own up to the fact that I also have Best Day Ever as a ringtone.

(And I have in fact watched the "Don't Be a Jerk, It's Christmas" Spongebob music video over and over again during the holidays).

See, there's some good stuff going on in Bikini Bottom. And any show with a character named "Sandy Cheeks" who is actually a genius wins my vote. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Interesting discussion. We don't have cable so we don't watch SB often but my kids have seen it some. I do agree that parents can be strangely choosy about their cartoons. The Spongebob/Shrek thing is a good illustration. My kids have seen the Shrek movies but it's not one we'll ever buy ourselves. Just too much adult humor.

I do love the FUN song!! Plankton's rendition is hysterical!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#63 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 AM

My son loves Spongebob (he is 8) and watches it in the mornings before school. As a result, his baby sister (16 months) now yells Bob Bob when the show comes on.

I don't think it's evil or bad, it's just a show. I think it is funny, the other day the ultimate tan episode was on which I find hilarious.

Another kids show we like (DH, DS and I) is Phineas and Ferb.

DS also loves Tom and Jerry, which was my favorite cartoon growing up.

Lisa, married to E since 9-16-2000, mother to DS A 3-23-2002 and DD J 6-11-2009.
#64 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Haven't read through the thread but I like Spongebob. DS has been watching it since he was about 5 I think? I find it funny too, and the characters are interesting. I don't think it is appropriate for toddlers and preschoolers, but I think it is fine for kids 5 or 6 and up.
#65 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 02:12 PM

HOLY CARP. I just realized my younger son has a homemade spongbob pillow my mother made for my sister 10 years ago. Forgot all about it.
#66 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post
Fair enough, but come on, you must have an opinion about Squidward at least.
I love Squidward. I love his nasal laugh. I love the funny, quiet little sound effect when he's disappointed, sort of...wrnk.

http://makani.deviantart.com/art/snapeward-11126502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Don't you all know? Spongebob is gay and will turn your children gay! Therefore he is evil!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Absorbent and yellow and gay is he!

Anyone remember Ren and Stimpy? Dh says the Sponge Bob creators must have been inspired by Ren and Stimpy for the crazy, over the top violence.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#67 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I thought for sure this was gonna by a holiday helpers thread. Spongebob is incredibly annoying and a bad influence on little kids with no filter, we avoid it.
#68 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM

What rolls down stair, rolls over in pairs, runs over your neighbors dog?

(am I showing my age?)

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#69 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
I thought for sure this was gonna by a holiday helpers thread. Spongebob is incredibly annoying and a bad influence on little kids with no filter, we avoid it.
Yup. Same here! I thought, this must be a trick.... but in actuality, I just try to avoid the SpongeBob cr@p. My kids will even say, loudly and proudly, "We are not ALLOWED to watch SpongeBob!"

Of course, I don't suppose I will be able to prevent them from seeing it forever, but I can stave it off as long as possible. My 7-year old is probably the ONLY boy in his 2nd grade class who is NOT wearing SpongeBob underwear.

It's become a challenge to shield them from negative influences (as I see them - no I don't think SB is evil, per se, any more than I think he's absorbent and gay *snicker*). SB just isn't.... appropriate... for younger kids, I think.

Neither is Left4Dead, a rated M-for-Mature blood-and-gore video game that my 12-year old nephew plays. His parents don't seem to care, though... so I just do my best to make sure he doesn't play it where my kids can see it. By comparison, I would much rather the kid watch SB in front of them.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#70 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post

(am I showing my age?)
And your good taste!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#71 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
I'll be honest here, I haven't watched spongebob since I was in college. But, we do have and occasionally watch the Shrek movies, and DS1 has even seen Family Guy and The Simpsons and American Dad on occasion (mostly later on at night when we're at friends and *WE* want to watch them...). As I recently explained to a friend when they asked if, I think it *WAS* Family Guy actually, though, DS1 is 3.5. He does *NOT* get most of the sexual jokes. So who cares? When he's 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 and starting to understand some of it, maybe my mind will change. But right now? Its just a funny cartoon to him. And thats where I suspect spongebob would fall on my radar too.
The problem with Family Guy and such is that at around 3.5 they will start repeating things. I really like Futurama but my dd was at church saying "I am a robot. Kill all the humans." and she was cut off.

I would urge caution, they might not know what they are saying but they will say it.

We don't really allow Spongebob or Ed, Edd and Eddy

Not all those who wander are lost 
#72 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post

(am I showing my age?)
That is a good point. I liked that show as a teen.

It's better than bad, it's good!

#73 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 PM

It's the BEST Day Everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
#74 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Sponge Bob is so funny... i guess it's my kind of humour, but I've never seen anything really "wrong" on it, and it's been on since i was a teen. My kids both watch it, and my dh and I like it too.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#75 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Totally inappropriate and not something I want kids imitating.
#76 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
That is a good point. I liked that show as a teen.

It's better than bad, it's good!
I love log! Um, that sounds like a UAV though.

I also love "Do not taunt happy fun ball." But I don't think either are appropriate for young kids.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#77 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
The problem with Family Guy and such is that at around 3.5 they will start repeating things. I really like Futurama but my dd was at church saying "I am a robot. Kill all the humans." and she was cut off.

I would urge caution, they might not know what they are saying but they will say it.

We don't really allow Spongebob or Ed, Edd and Eddy
We let DD watch futurama when she was younger. 'Till she started calling people "meat bags".

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#78 of 81 Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM

He's a "sponge" living in "bikini bottom" working at "crusty crab". I actually had never watched him until my younger, childless sister told me she thinks he's funny. I saw parts of the show one day (we don't have extended cable, nick, hbo, showtime or any of that expensive crap) on a weekend. She (my 33 year old sister) was nonstop giggling and pointed out to me that Sponge Bob was never intended as a children's show, that it is simply an animated adult cartoon with sexual innuendos all over the place.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#79 of 81 Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
We let DD watch futurama when she was younger. 'Till she started calling people "meat bags".

#80 of 81 Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 AM

My value system is probably just wonky. I don't mind sexual humor. I don't think sex is bad, and I don't try and hide sex and sexual references from my children. I DO take issue with crude humor and I DO take issue with violence. Obviously, Spongebob isn't violent, but it's definitely crude. Frankly, I think it's "stupid" humor and that's not what I want to raise my kids to value.

So, to sum up, we don't allow Spongebob at all. No watching it, no reading books of it, no toys, etc.
#81 of 81 Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 AM

My kids are still too young for Spongebob, not to mention we don't have cable (have netflix though). At 2.5, I really don't care for DS to watch most of the programming on TV. Right now DS is very sheltered in that he is home with me all day and has limited interaction with other children. We go to playgroups about twice a month and playdates with a friend and her two kids once a week. I have "banned" Thomas the Train because the trains were being mean to each other and since DS has not experience meanness yet, I do not want him to learn that from a tv show. I also don't appreciate any shows that have the kids being afraid. DS has only shown fear to dogs and that was for a brief time period. I don't want him learning that hey - I can be afraid of the dark, you know what I mean? After he has learned all this through life experience, then I will be more okay with him learning the life lessons on tv.

Right now he is allowed to watch on a rotating basis: Sesame Street, Barney, Super Why, and Dinosaur Train.

Mama to three

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page