S/O - Is Spongebob EVIL? Why or why not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In another thread there are many posters who are adamantly opposed to Spongebob. I'd like to know why. I'm not interested in the thread becoming a debate, or instigating fighting, I'm just honestly curious about why people find Spongebob to be absolutely abhorrent and strictly forbid him from their home?

I personally don't find him to be terribly offensive, and really could care less about him. Why do people hate him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 03:57 PM

I find him horribly annoying. That's my big thing. It makes me want to throw heavy things at the TV

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 PM

I love Spongebob. : Some of the things are probably not the most appropriate things, but in terms of cartoons, it's not too terribly bad. There are worse things on Nick that are targeted to young kids.

Now, my big bad confession...my 6 year old loves spongebob and watches it a couple times a week...and now my 21 month old walks around the house singing "spongebob bob pants sponge bob bob pants sponge bob pine apple pants" over and over again. It's *way* cute. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Evil? No. I just don't like the way he acts. Not something I want my dd imitating.
#5 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
I love Spongebob. : Some of the things are probably not the most appropriate things, but in terms of cartoons, it's not too terribly bad. There are worse things on Nick that are targeted to young kids.

Now, my big bad confession...my 6 year old loves spongebob and watches it a couple times a week...and now my 21 month old walks around the house singing "spongebob bob pants sponge bob bob pants sponge bob pine apple pants" over and over again. It's *way* cute. :
OMG can you post a video??? I think that would make my day!!!!!! (I can imagine my 21mo doing the EXACT same thing LOL)
#6 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Evil? No. Completely inane? Yes.
That. My kids love Spongebob and while I find it stupid and annoying, I don't think he's evil in the least.

We've been watching old episodes of the Flintstones lately. Right now I'd take Spongebob over the 1960's version of Fred Flintstone.
#7 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 PM

I don't think of him as evil and I'm ok with older kids watching him, but I don't let my younger one watch the show. Because I think there is a lot of snarky humor that smaller kids don't get. It doesn't have a feel good vibe but can be rather dark. Instead of modeling patience and support for others, I get more of a harsh, almost mean, teasing vibe. Again I think it's ok (not great) for older kids but not at all for younger kids.

hope this makes sense
#8 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've only seen a couple of episodes when my brother had SpongeBob DVDs on for his kids, but in the little bit that I saw the characters were mean to each other and used words like "stupid."

Since we have a DVR, our favorite shows are always available to watch, so there's no reason to have some random show on. It's not like the old days where you turned on the kids channel and just watched whatever happened to be on at the time.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#9 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Something else to keep in mind: Sometimes when parents talk about how inappropriate a show is they aren't thinking about the rating (I'm not saying that's the case on MDC but I know I run into it IRL) Spongebob is rated TV7 I think...so *really* it's not made for tiny kids.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#10 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Something else to keep in mind: Sometimes when parents talk about how inappropriate a show is they aren't thinking about the rating (I'm not saying that's the case on MDC but I know I run into it IRL) Spongebob is rated TV7 I think...so *really* it's not made for tiny kids.
I didn't know that. Can you explain what the ratings mean? (I really don't watch tv much - never have, and my ds seems equally disinterested so far, but I'm curious about the rating system) Are the ratings similar to movie ratings??
#11 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM

I do have to add that I think the Shrek movies are *way* worse than Spongebob. Shrek has blatent sexual innuendo and adult jokes. The Spongebob humor is a bit different than that. (And I don't find it dark at all. I mean, Spongebob gets teased a *lot* but in the end, he always wins. The mean guy ends up looking bad for what he did at the end. And Spongebob is a pretty [overly almost-drug-induced] euphoric character. : )

Everyone's got their thing. I know people who think Spongebob is pure evil but their young kids have every line of every Shrek movie memorized. I know people who think that all violence in movies is bad while my DS had watched every episode of Star Wars before he was 4 years old [I haven't even seen them...DH and DS watched them]. Some people love Disney movies, and I think they're littered with adult jokes, racism, and rewriting history. Everyone has their cup of tea. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#12 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Oh, I admit we let DD watch spongebob on Jetblue one time when she was 23months old. It was the only kids programming on and it was keeping her attention. Then spongebob started to do som effed up things with his body. It was really trippy, and I was worried about DD having nightmares about it. So, I flipped back to music. She still talks about spongebob even today.
#13 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:17 PM

I personally love spongebob- my kids do as well, BUT...we don't watch it any longer because they act out some of the offensive things he and other characters do. Plus we dropped our cable and no longer get Nick. (yeehah!)
Honestly, there are WAY more offensive things on Nick than SB- like Fairly Odd parents for one.
But I grew up on Bugs Bunny, and developed a love for classical music through it. The language wasn't as harsh as SB, though.
compare "I'm goona kick your butt" to "You're dispicable" There is a hightened level of violence in today's cartoons- even for little ones, I think.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#14 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
I didn't know that. Can you explain what the ratings mean? (I really don't watch tv much - never have, and my ds seems equally disinterested so far, but I'm curious about the rating system) Are the ratings similar to movie ratings??
I found this about ratings: http://www.tvguidelines.org/ratings.htm

I also found this about Spongebob (I did a Google so I don't know anything about the source) http://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-r...ob-squarepants

Quote:
I do have to add that I think the Shrek movies are *way* worse than Spongebob. Shrek has blatent sexual innuendo and adult jokes. The Spongebob humor is a bit different than that. (And I don't find it dark at all. I mean, Spongebob gets teased a *lot* but in the end, he always wins. The mean guy ends up looking bad for what he did at the end. And Spongebob is a pretty [overly almost-drug-induced] euphoric character. : )

Everyone's got their thing. I know people who think Spongebob is pure evil but their young kids have every line of every Shrek movie memorized. I know people who think that all violence in movies is bad while my DS had watched every episode of Star Wars before he was 4 years old [I haven't even seen them...DH and DS watched them]. Some people love Disney movies, and I think they're littered with adult jokes, racism, and rewriting history. Everyone has their cup of tea. :
OMG I was in high school when Shrek came out and we all walked out of the theater going "This is a KIDS MOVIE?!?"

I love your last paragraph

#15 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

THANK YOU!! I thought I was the only one. *I* almost feel weird watching those movies (and I watch WAAAAAY worse with OH!). They just rub me the wrong way.

BIG THANKS to the OP. I was really confused on the other thread too. I'd like to see it from the other side of the argument.

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
#16 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
But I grew up on Bugs Bunny, and developed a love for classical music through it. The language wasn't as harsh as SB, though.
compare "I'm goona kick your butt" to "You're dispicable" There is a hightened level of violence in today's cartoons- even for little ones, I think.
DH and I talk about this sometimes. We listen to Classical music in the car and sometimes we'll go "Bugs Bunny!!" or something when a certain song comes on.

Yes, the Loony Toons were a bit violent...but I agree that there's more in today's shows. And today's stuff is a bit, well, dumber overall.

#17 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM

I agree, today's humor does seem dumber- like BB had a bit of intellectual satire - but could be stinking funny at the same time!
But on the other hand, I do love toilet humor!
Ever watch "The Tick?"

#18 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 PM

I think Sponge Bob is pretty clever, actually. It's certainly no kind of a role-model, but neither are the cartoons I grew up watching -- Tom and Jerry is appalling! And the old Warner shorts (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck) were great, but do you remember Hanna-Barbera? They did a million series -- Jetsons, Flintstones, Yogi Bear -- and they were all dumber than dirt.

I do think Sponge Bob is more for eight-year-olds than two-year-olds.
#19 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
I agree, today's humor does seem dumber- like BB had a bit of intellectual satire - but could be stinking funny at the same time!
But on the other hand, I do love toilet humor!
Ever watch "The Tick?"
No. I've never seen it. I've heard of it, though.

I also love "dirty" humor...I'm just not crazy about it being in kids' shows. And, for the record, Loony Toons weren't for kids originally! They were shown at the start of drive -in movies! (I wanted to point that out before someone said "but wait!" )

#20 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
No. I've never seen it. I've heard of it, though.

I also love "dirty" humor...I'm just not crazy about it being in kids' shows. And, for the record, Loony Toons weren't for kids originally! They were shown at the start of drive -in movies! (I wanted to point that out before someone said "but wait!" )
I can understand that. I always figured it was ok though since its over their heads, and thought it was for the parents who are forced to suffer through kids television!
#21 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
I think Sponge Bob is pretty clever, actually. It's certainly no kind of a role-model, but neither are the cartoons I grew up watching -- Tom and Jerry is appalling! And the old Warner shorts (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck) were great, but do you remember Hanna-Barbera? They did a million series -- Jetsons, Flintstones, Yogi Bear -- and they were all dumber than dirt.

I do think Sponge Bob is more for eight-year-olds than two-year-olds.
Yeah, Tom and Jerry is awful. We had to ban it from the house after my 6 year old told me he was going to do something he saw on the show to his sister. I'd rather my kids watch something that is so far fetched that it can't possibly be real than having them watch something with violence that can be copied (even if the characters are faked).

#22 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I sort of love SpongeBob. Granted, I don't have cartoon-watching-age children quite yet, so I don't know how he translates to the younger set.

I enjoyed this article from the Atlantic about SpongeBob...

"Trotting along bright-hearted, laughing his spray-on headache of a laugh, he will not succumb to complication. His corner of the world is all levity. Embrace him, drained adult. Where you see his little yellow flag, salute it; it’s a sign of life. "

#23 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Well ya know...
EVIL actually stands for
E-very
V-illan
I-s
L-emons

Sorry, couldn't resist.

*insert spongebob maniacal laugh*

http://en.spongepedia.bimserver2.com...itle=Main_Page

#24 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
I can understand that. I always figured it was ok though since its over their heads, and thought it was for the parents who are forced to suffer through kids television!
Kids pick up on A LOT. I can remember paying closer attention to shows/movies after my parents laughed at something I didn't understand...
But especially language. I know he's going to learn the word "stupid" and use it. I know that. But I don't want that to be one of the few words he knows YKWIM? DH has a step-nephew that when he was 3 or so and his brother was close to 1 would call his brother an "idiot" because he couldn't talk yet. He used the word A LOT...

#25 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like Spongebob. I think it's one of the least annoying and/or offensive cartoons on TV, and some episodes are really quite funny.
#26 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM

One of the villains Mermaid Man fights is a manta-ray named Man Ray, so I don't see how Sponge Bob can be dismissed as insufficiently intellectual!
#27 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 PM

We don't have a TV so I don't see a lot of it but I love SpongeBob and so do my 7 and 4 year old children. I am admittedly pretty lax about media though.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#28 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Spongebob was my son's first cartoon. Thanks Grandma! But, I didn't specifically say no Spongebob so....

Other than being extremely annoying (that song gets in your head and never leaves) it isn't bad, especially compared to other stuff out there.

If you watch it you'll find:

1. Spongebob has an amazingly positive, cheerful, glass is always half full view on life. Refreshingly happy.

2. While they can be silly and stupid to each other, they always realize they care for each other at the end.

3. Spongebob himself gets very upset at anything mean or hurtful.

4. The "mean" characters usually get caught and reform themselves to an extent in the end. Lots of problem solving - just not obvious stuff.

5. The little violence there is is just so incredibly over the top that DS has always realized it is fake. We call it being silly.

You wanna talk evil? Let's talk Barney. That purple monster is not allowed in our house. Ever.
#29 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 PM

I find sponge bob annoying. Thankfully both of my kids, who have seen it at friends houses, feel the same. I don't think it's "bad" for the intended age group, but it is NOT intended for 2 and 3 year olds. I know many watch it, but it's a bit like Franklin in my opinion. (Sorry, I don't like Sponge Bob enough to make a specific reference, so I'll use Franklin).

A 7 year old can watch Franklin and understand the storyline and end moral. A 2 year old can watch Franklin and not follow the storyline, learn some teasing behaviors from the beginning behavior, see that everybody is happy in the end, and think teasing is fine and no big deal.

I'm sure that many people will testify that their own 2 year old follows the whole storyline and gets it completely and doesn't think it's good to tease others. Child development research though, shows that *most* two and three year olds do not get that sort of thing.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#30 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 PM

No, no, no...Spongebob isn't evil, Plankton is!

We don't have TV at home but lots of DVDs (and TV other places we spend time) and I tend to like a lot of what DS likes. I will probably never love Tom and Jerry but Spongebob (first introduced to us as spongebob schwammkopf) Animaniacs, scooby doo, studio ghibli, it's all good. Oh except for iCarly. Ugh.

Eta: I'm pretty sure Spongebob is supposed to be annoying. It's part of his schtick.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page