16 and Pregnant Season 3 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really liked last night's couple! I hope they stay together. Her mom was really supportive, which is awesome - except that of course she didn't wan to move out.

I totally thought the baby's name was Roland. It's Rylan.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#32 of 48 Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM

I did enjoy this episode. I was impressed with her commitment to breastfeeding. She was still pumping (exclusively, he still wasn't latching, right?) at 6 weeks! I think that is awesome. she seems like an excellent mom.

However that girl is a daggone fool for not getting married and moving out. It's time for her to grow up. I feel so bad for JR. He seems ready for the responsibility and she is still holding on to mommy.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#33 of 48 Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM

^I know! I'd say he was one of the best partners/dads I've seen on that show. She is lucky to have such a committed, mature, loving fiancé. I think she can have both he and her mom as support, she's just too afraid of taking that leap to move in with him.

#34 of 48 Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I totally thought the baby's name was Roland. It's Rylan.

Lol I did the same thing. I think it was the accent! I have no room to talk no joke just watching it made my southern accent rear its head the rest of the night.

ETA: I have to say I love how much more breastfeeding has taken place this season. It makes me wonder if MTV has had something to do with it like maybe giving the girls more information and pointing them in the direction toward classes? 

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#35 of 48 Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I also wonder if they got some flack in prior seasons about portraying breastfeeding so poorly. I think its great to normalize breastfeeding for teenagers who are watching so that someday when they're older breastfeeding is familiar to them.

Did anyone else wince when she loaded up that baby in a Baby Bjorn and got on top of a horse? yikes2.gif And this is why everyone things babywearing is dangerous... well probably not, but I was pretty happy when I saw him in the arms of dad later on.

I can totally understand why she wasn't ready to get married and move out. In fact, I think all the prior couples who have gotten married and moved out are doing a risky move. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on marriage in this season and that makes me uncomfortable. This show is called "16 and pregnant" which means we're dealing with YOUNG teenagers. Not 18 year olds, not 17 year olds. 16 year olds. I think it's totally reasonable that this girl (I forget her name) didn't want to make the step of moving out of her totally supportive household where she can get help for her baby and lets face it, a little more time getting raised herself since she's still a child. Having a baby makes you grow up fast, and we've seen a lot of girls who have been FORCED to leave the nest early because of bad family situations who weren't ready. What a great gift that her parents are giving her by giving her a little more time with the "training wheels" on.

When the mom and the friend were talking and one of them said that everytime her mother wanted to leave she would cry, I could totally relate. I felt exactly the same when my mother left me a week after my son was born.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#36 of 48 Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 AM

The show is called 16&Pregnant but I think it's pretty generalized. A lot of the girls are 17 or 18, and in their senior year of high school or very close to graduating.

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
#37 of 48 Old 12-11-2010, 07:27 AM

yes, that babywearing while horse riding thing was one of those moments where as the supportive parent I would have had to bite my tongue until it bled to keep from saying something! But....she's the mama, so I would have kept my mouth shut. But my heart was racing the whole time....scared me to death.

Slightly OT, but does anyone rememember in that documentary "babies" where the mom strapped her newborn up papoose style and carried it home horseback? I was equally nervous watching that, but I guess in that part of the world it's pretty normal.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#38 of 48 Old 12-11-2010, 07:55 AM

Did anyone notice the funky editing going on? When Kayla and JR were with the baby visiting the new house and decided they needed to talk, the narration said they went home to put the baby to bed then talk. When they were having their talk though, Kayla was very obviously still pregnant and the Christmas tree was up in the background even though it was supposedly Feb.

I've been enjoying this season a lot more than the last! I'm glad they're showing breastfeeding as normal and not icky. This batch of girls also seems more committed to making stuff work (parenting, school, relationships) than just focusing on still being teenagers. It's pretty interesting to see the differences between how the different girls react to their new roles as parents as well as the reactions of their partners and families.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#39 of 48 Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post

I did enjoy this episode. I was impressed with her commitment to breastfeeding. She was still pumping (exclusively, he still wasn't latching, right?) at 6 weeks! I think that is awesome. she seems like an excellent mom.

However that girl is a daggone fool for not getting married and moving out. It's time for her to grow up. I feel so bad for JR. He seems ready for the responsibility and she is still holding on to mommy.

My thoughts exactly. J.R. seemed like such a sweetheart. Most of these girls would probably love to have a man like that!

Also, I guess I was the only one country enough to know it was Rylan, LOL. That's kinda funny to me, because there was never a doubt in my mind!

#40 of 48 Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post

Did anyone notice the funky editing going on? When Kayla and JR were with the baby visiting the new house and decided they needed to talk, the narration said they went home to put the baby to bed then talk. When they were having their talk though, Kayla was very obviously still pregnant and the Christmas tree was up in the background even though it was supposedly Feb.

I totally noticed this!! I was like, wait, she was 20 weeks in October but she's had the baby and it's Christmas? And then I noticed the belly. Definitely editing.

I was also happy she put the brakes on getting married. It's a double standard where society/family expects these women to do this with little to no help and almost totally on their own whereas if they would have waited for a while, say if they were 28 and married more help would probably be offered. These young people need help raising their children. We all do.

#41 of 48 Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Has anyone seen the last episode with Ashley? I've been catching episodes here and there but this episode really made me smile and sad at the same time. I appreciated Ashley's mother letting the choice of adoption be up to her. She didn't seem to put any pressure on her and let Ashley's decision come organically while still offering helpful advice without saying, "you need to do this or that."

It kind of bothered me that she was allowed to keep the baby to figure out whether or not she wanted to keep her or not. Is this only on tv or would she have been able to do this in real life too? The aunt and uncle though were very kind and supportive but I was glad the aunt told her, towards the end that she can't keep going back and forth. Ashley was immature and the way her mother dealt with her in regards to throwing out the list and telling her to do it on her own was good.

#42 of 48 Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 AM

I don't think it's just b/c she was on tv (being able to take the baby back), but b/c it was a family adoption. I mean, her aunt and uncle could have had their lawyer and police get involved and deny Ashley that opportunity, but what kind of family does that, yk? I did feel bad for them (her aunt and uncle), but I felt worse for Ashley.

I've been reading her blog and following her on twitter and facebook since the episode airs. I hope she finds some peace soon with her decision. Callie just turned a year old, and it sounds like ashleys still really conflicted and depressed about it.

#43 of 48 Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

Has anyone seen the last episode with Ashley? I've been catching episodes here and there but this episode really made me smile and sad at the same time. I appreciated Ashley's mother letting the choice of adoption be up to her. She didn't seem to put any pressure on her and let Ashley's decision come organically while still offering helpful advice without saying, "you need to do this or that."

It kind of bothered me that she was allowed to keep the baby to figure out whether or not she wanted to keep her or not. Is this only on tv or would she have been able to do this in real life too? The aunt and uncle though were very kind and supportive but I was glad the aunt told her, towards the end that she can't keep going back and forth. Ashley was immature and the way her mother dealt with her in regards to throwing out the list and telling her to do it on her own was good.

Yeah, it *more than bothered* me that they let her take the baby back to figure it out. Family or not. If I had been the aunt and uncle I would not have been ok with that at all. She was given many chances to say whether or not she wanted to go through with it and she kept saying she was ok. I felt she was very young for 16.

She had amazing support from her mother.

I also did not see it the same way Ashley did about the baby's father. It wasn't that he didn't want to help but he was not in a position to help. He stated that pretty clearly, yet she came back and told the other birth mom that he did not want her. I do hope she has found some peace. It seems like she really has every opportunity for a wonderful life, just based on what I saw on the show.

gbailey likes this.
#44 of 48 Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM

I felt bad for her. I was also shocked that she got to go get teh baby and keep her for a month. My friend and I watched the episode together and we were both like, "h*** no" when she decided after a month!!!!! to give the baby back to her aunt and uncle. And it was claer that she loved ehr daughter.

I think she got too hung up on the long term consequences of single parenthood (money, college, careers etc--for both her and her child) and that made her lack confidence that she could pull it off.

My friend and I were rooting for her the whole time, yelling at the tv, going "you can do it! keep your baby!" lol. It is hard but SO worth it imo, in her situation I would not have made that choice. Now Caitlyn and Tyler from the 1st season I understood their decision because their circumstances were different but here she had so much support. And if you read her blog, she ended up not staying at the NY college anyway because she didn't like it.

When I see episodes like this it reminds me how much can really go wrong with an unplanned pregnancy, at any age....such a bittersweet story.

#45 of 48 Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 AM

I agree with your post. I also felt she was very young for her age. DH isn't a fan of the show and I asked him to watch this episode though as I was curious for his opinion. He thought Ashley was 12 or 13 and refused to watch after the baby pooped and she had to call her mother to figure out what to do.

I think her aunt and uncle were kinder than most people would have been in the same situation even family members. It's sad she is still depressed about her decision but honestly, she didn't seem to have even a half way decent grasp on what it takes to raise a child. I appreciated how supportive but firm her mother was like when she told her she wouldn't be available to babysit every weekend because she had her own life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

Yeah, it *more than bothered* me that they let her take the baby back to figure it out. Family or not. If I had been the aunt and uncle I would not have been ok with that at all. She was given many chances to say whether or not she wanted to go through with it and she kept saying she was ok. I felt she was very young for 16.

She had amazing support from her mother.

I also did not see it the same way Ashley did about the baby's father. It wasn't that he didn't want to help but he was not in a position to help. He stated that pretty clearly, yet she came back and told the other birth mom that he did not want her. I do hope she has found some peace. It seems like she really has every opportunity for a wonderful life, just based on what I saw on the show.

#46 of 48 Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM

Did anyone see the where are they now special, featuring the moms from the 1st two seasons? It was pretty good.

#47 of 48 Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Its nice to  see these young ladies pick themselves back up again. Thats the part I love the most. It aint easy though. Not a bad show.

Worlds Best Mom
#48 of 48 Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Did anyone catch 16 & Pregnant "Where Are They Now?"  Poor Whitney from season 1!  Her little boy has had so many health problems.  I can bet that was one of the reasons she didn't get picked for Teen Mom.  I'm glad that they did this special so other teens can see just how tricky life can be.  Not every baby is born 100% healthy!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page