16 and Pregnant Season 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Is anyone else watching?

It was nice to see breastfeeding! It's only taken 3 seasons It was also nice to see a father who really was helping out, especially staying at home with their baby. So progressive. Parents who help out too, in a positive way, encouraging their teen to be independent. At times I felt really bad for her having to clean like that with a baby, not because I didn't think that was fair (she's not paying rent and this is how she contributes to the household) but because I have a baby and I barely keep my head on straight. I really empathized.

Dare I say this might be a more positive season? This was a great start! They were really able to strike a balance between showing the hardships of teen pregnancy without showing them as delinquents or as bad parents. They're just moms, who have it a little harder than adult moms, not bad moms. I felt like previous seasons (particularly last season) showed teen moms as horrible moms instead of showing the way they struggle. Maybe its a delicate balance.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#2 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really liked this episode! It was so drama free and nice to see two kids making their best of a tough situation. Even when they were bickering, it wasn't anything earth-shattering or nasty. So refreshing!! I was especially happy to see that Brooke was breastfeeding. I couldn't believe the nurse's comments in the hospital though...she seemed pretty negative and discouraging ("It's GONNA hurt!"..that was so not helpful!).
I would love to see more episodes like this. I know drama sells, but it was getting pretty obnoxious last season. I wish all the best for Brooke, Cody and super cute baby Brody!

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#3 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 AM

This was a more positive episode. I'm glad they are getting a lot of fmaily support too. They seem to be pretty responsible kids, not asking to go party, or for tons of babysitting. They seem to have their priorities right. I hope the best for them.
#4 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I really liked this episode! It was so drama free and nice to see two kids making their best of a tough situation. Even when they were bickering, it wasn't anything earth-shattering or nasty. So refreshing!! I was especially happy to see that Brooke was breastfeeding. I couldn't believe the nurse's comments in the hospital though...she seemed pretty negative and discouraging ("It's GONNA hurt!"..that was so not helpful!).
I would love to see more episodes like this. I know drama sells, but it was getting pretty obnoxious last season. I wish all the best for Brooke, Cody and super cute baby Brody!
I think the nurse was saying that she needed to make sure that the baby latched onto the whole breast and that if he only latched onto the nipple, it would hurt. Which is true. I went back and rewatched it. I was pretty impressed that she continued to pump and breastfeed while she went to school. What an inspiration to other teen moms!

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#5 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM

I really liked this episode! I thought her mom was great with finding a balance between helping them out and not overstepping. The little house they looked at was cute! I hope they can stick it out and both graduate and then find a little higher paying jobs and make it work.
#6 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post
I think the nurse was saying that she needed to make sure that the baby latched onto the whole breast and that if he only latched onto the nipple, it would hurt.
#7 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I was pretty impressed that she continued to pump and breastfeed while she went to school.
Aha! I thought that one of the bags she was carrying was a pump.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 PM

I really liked the first episode as well. I'm glad Brooke is able to stay in highschool - although it was sad to see how sad she was to leave Brody the first day. I think it's for the best that she graduates, so hopefully they'll be able to continue to make it work.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I was glad to see them working well. The biggest part that irked me was that she wasn't just in charge of the chores she seemed like she was being treated worse than a maid.

I mean there are FOUR adults in the house. Doing the laundry and dishes and general tidy is one thing but it looked like her parents just threw their clothes where they wanted and left stuff places. I agree with not giving them a free ride and taking over, totally! But she can still do the dishes if you just take them to the kitchen, and your laundry if you put it in a hamper...
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#10 of 48 Old 10-28-2010, 11:25 PM

I am super excited for the new season too! I really liked Brooke & Cody, they seemed like good kids. I hope they can work it out, and I think they will, because they do have so much good family support. Although we didn't see his family did we? But her family was pretty supportive. I did think that all the adults in the house needed to participate in the process of keeping it clean though!

Brody is a little cutie! Waiting to see what happens next week...I'm betting there will still continue to be some drama this season. I think with teenagers that is probably inevitable to some degree, but hopefully this season it will be less than last season, which was pretty disheartening and hard to watch at times.
#11 of 48 Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 AM

I felt sorry for her, but I dont see it as being terribly unfair. Cleanin up behind herself, Brody and Cody is what she'd be doing anyway if they had their own place. Cleanig up behind everyone else is how she pays rent. It is hard on her and it sucks, yes, but I don't think the mom was wrong.

I was so excited to see a young mom breastfeeding!!!!

I think the fact that they have had several generations of young parents in their family helped a lot. I really do think that the culture (and I don't mean ethnicity but just the background) of the family makes a huge difference. They were very matter of fact about it and they just did what needed doing. I was impressed with the mom. Also the fact that they got married....they are young, but it shows a commitment on their part.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#12 of 48 Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 PM

I swear I saw some other moms breastfeed during previous seasons. Or it could just be pregnancy brain. I did get a big grin on my face when I saw her walking out the door with her breast pump.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#13 of 48 Old 11-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post
I swear I saw some other moms breastfeed during previous seasons. Or it could just be pregnancy brain. I did get a big grin on my face when I saw her walking out the door with her breast pump.
I don't think I've seen any of them bf as long as last week's mama did. In the past, I don't think nursing has lasted much longer than a few days. I could be wrong about that, though.
#14 of 48 Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM

I saw a bit of it.

I agree, the family seems to be a whole lot more healthy than families on previous shows. I felt bad about the cleaning too, but...I think 1. That's how they pay rent, which is a *huge* help to them and 2. The mom is right on that learning how to manage parenthood and the home is really important to a healthy life when they're out on their own.

I don't watch too often, but occasionally re-runs. Hopeful that at least one of these families will be able to hold it together and not fracture into tiny pieces.
#15 of 48 Old 11-02-2010, 07:05 PM

I'm watching the episode with Chelsea and Adam right now. It's so sad that the baby had to stay in the hospital after Chelsea was discharged. And the nurse said that the baby wasn't strong enough to nurse, but it didn't look like they even let her try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! She's nursing. I loved when she said "Okay, it's boob time."

#16 of 48 Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 PM

Aww I missed the Chelsea and Adam episode somehow. Just finished the most recent one and OMG I hope she can keep things together without her bf - he just seems so casual and indifferent to having a kid.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#17 of 48 Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 AM

Who are Chelsea and Adam and how on earth did I miss an entire episode? Did they show two new eps in one night?

ETA: Nevermind. Chelsea and Adam were in season 2.

I finally watched the newest ep. I agree about Alex being so...indifferent. It was infuriating for Felicia. On one hand, I think it's great she's not yelling and arguing with him about it. On the other hand, it seems like she's being a bit of a doormat. I hate to see the way he's walking all over her! And all Alex is doing is complaining about how she's not the same. I just wanted to yell, well HELLO! What did you think would happen? And when he complained that she moved too much, in the middle of the night, my jaw hit the floor. She's certainly reacting much more maturely than I, a 33 year old woman, would react in that situation.
#18 of 48 Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Greetings all! I am going to step in here with my mod hat on and remind everyone that this forum is subject to the User Agreement. Specifically, because we are dealing with reality television and real people, we will not host namecalling, potentially defamatory posting (including armchair mental health diagnoses and speculations of abuse), or demeaning criticism. Please keep in mind that we also do not host celebrity gossip, news, or speculation.

Please also keep in mind that the UA states:
Quote:
MDC serves an online community of parents, families, and parent, child and family advocates considering, learning, practicing, and advocating attachment parenting and natural family living. Our discussions concern the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support, information, and community. Mothering invites you to read and participate in the discussions. In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members. Please avoid negative characterizations and generalizations about others to respect the diversity of our online community.
and the Statement of Purpose says
Quote:
Mothering celebrates the experience of parenthood as worthy of one's best efforts and fosters awareness of the immense importance and value of family life in the development of the full human potential of parents and children. At Mothering we recognize parents as experts and seek to provide truly helpful information upon which parents can make informed choices. Mothering is both a fierce advocate of the needs and rights of the child and a gentle supporter of the parents, and we encourage decision-making that considers the needs of all family members.
Participating in the thread simply to snark at the parenting on this show would be at cross purposes with both these statements.

The Television forum is provided as a courtesy to our members but is not essential to MDC's stated purpose. We've already decided to no longer host threads on Teen Mom. If you wish this thread to stay up, it's up to you-- please keep the User Agreement in mind when posting, and as always, you can PM me with any questions or concerns.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 48 Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 PM

I was happy to see another breastfeeding mama! This one looked like she really had her stuff together.

I'm not sure why the boyfriend wouldn't cut his hair? If he did I'm sure he could have gotten a job. And his dreads looked pretty gross and waxy.

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
#20 of 48 Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM

I really liked this week's mom, Markai, too. I loved that she was set on breastfeeding! She had lots of good support it seemed like. Her sister was really sweet after her fight with James. As for James, I think he really did care about her and the baby. I just hope he was able to get a job!!! I was really rooting for them. Oh, also, I loved that both teenager's friends were sooo supportive about them staying together instead of trying to get them to keep on "being kids" or "playing the field" etc.

I haven't commented on last week's episode yet either..I was rooting for them too but I never could quite get a read on the dad's parents. There was quite a bit of tension there, between Emily's parents and his parents, it seemed like, but I like that her parents were fighting so hard for her to continue her education. It was sweet that the dad (sorry, can't remember his name now!) cried when his baby was born. I didn't feel super hopeful that they would stay together but still, I hope they could at least work out their decisions about moving, etc.

#21 of 48 Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM

so i'm watching last night's episode online. yay for the awesomest lactation consultant and the best breastfeedign advice I ahve ever seen on this show!!! awesome lady. I loved her matter of fact, you-can-do-this-and-here's-how kinda attitude.

But the rest of the show made me sad. I think Cristinna is doing all the right things, and loves her daughter, but her heart isn't really IN it. I have a friend like that she is an excelletn mother, but I know that having a baby derailed her life plans and it does bother her.

The whole birth thing made me watn tp puke. CLASSIC intervention story, from the unnecessary induction all the way up to tearful mom having a c section. wholething could have been avoided....seriously, who induces a young, healthy mom BEFORE her due date??? I also wonder if some ppd wasn't to play as well in cristinna's attitude towards parenting. Even the moms in previous epsodes who were not the most mature mothers (and I think Cristinna is quite mature) seemed to have more emotions toward their babies.

I really hope the best for their relationship, but this is not one of the stories where I will think about them afterwards and hope and pray that the kid is surviving alright. It's clear that Cristinna will do whatever it takes to provide for her daughter.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#22 of 48 Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM

I felt so bad for Christinna. She didn't want to have a C-section and it was the typical cascade of interventions, the pitocin, the epidural, her wearing an oxygen mask. It was so frustrating watching her laying on her back pushing and the doctor telling her only an hour into it that she would need surgery.

#23 of 48 Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 PM

I felt soo bad for Christinna because of how her husband's family was treating her. I think that if she had some positive attention and someone to tell her she was doing a good job, perhaps she could have been a little bit more happy about being a mama. I was really impressed with her determination to avoid the c-section and she tried *so hard*. All of the interventions tick me off. :(

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#24 of 48 Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 PM

I just watched the interview with her on mtv.com (yes, I'm addicted, I watcht he bonus clips and everything lol) and I am even mroe impressed with her. She showed more emotion towards her daughter in the interview which makes me think maybe she was just having a rough time in the beginning. I really hope that they stay together. I kinda hope they move away from alabama to put some distance between his family and her.

#25 of 48 Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Was Markai breastfeeding?  I saw one this afternoon - Christina and Isiah (i think!)  and she was breastfeding.  I t seems like whenever they say they are, you always wind up seeing a bottle in the frame  eventually.  There was one - Lizzie i think, very little blond girl who was "nursing because it was free" and quit because it hurt so much - i just HATE to see people who need help just toatlly ignored! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#26 of 48 Old 12-01-2010, 11:16 PM

I felt so bad for Christinna and the abuse Isiah's family was throwing at her.  The dinner scene where grandma was determined to get a paternity test made me feel sick for her.  I'm glad she left.

#27 of 48 Old 12-02-2010, 08:02 AM

Me too! I was glad to see her leave the table and go home.

#28 of 48 Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 AM

I haven't watched much of this season but I am now watching the episode with Christina and Isiah. I feel so bad for her that his grandmother is berating them at the dinner table. When she suggested the child may not even be his I just...I'min shock watching this and it's only 9 minutes in. I can only imagine it gets worse because Isiah's grandmother is on a website claiming her family has been getting death threats. How cruel to do that to a human being especially a pregnant mama to be.

#29 of 48 Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM

I watched Christinna and Isiah's episode last night. Oh, my heart was hurting. Another vote for "so glad she got up and left that dinner table".

Also, the cascade of interventions was so frustrating!!! She really didn't want a section and it was practically forced on her, poor thing.

One thing I didn't really get though was the decision to let go of the scholarship. Most colleges have married housing. So, I just wonder if they didn't look at all the options there before deciding. Maybe the married housing wouldn't have been available to them as freshmen? Or if she wasn't a student there too or something? Was this discussed and I missed it?

I hope they can stick together and also get some distance from his family and the negativity. I also hope he can either give college (and maybe even football?) another shot. Maybe he could walk on the team and still pursue his dream. I feel sure she will really do her best for her baby.

It was good to see the lactation consultant being so positive! I loved that part. 

#30 of 48 Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmom View Post

One thing I didn't really get though was the decision to let go of the scholarship. Most colleges have married housing. So, I just wonder if they didn't look at all the options there before deciding. Maybe the married housing wouldn't have been available to them as freshmen? Or if she wasn't a student there too or something? Was this discussed and I missed it?

I was wondering this too. He could have still gone to school and it would have gotten them away from his family. Or even an apartment off campus. Though I'm not sure how he could have juggled school, football, AND a job to pay for that. I wonder if maybe he had to live in a certain dorm as part of the athletic scholarship?

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page