The Walking Dead - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

How long is unopened powdered formula good for? I figure the premade would have gone bad already, right? I have a year in my brain as the limit on powdered. I think they should find a mama goat while maggie or one of the other women lets the baby nurse. Preferrably sophia's mom (can't remember her name!) Since she must have lactated before, so she is more likely to relactate now.

I would be shocked if they did that.  Not that it wouldn't be awesome.  I just think it's too outrageous  (breaking off zombie jaws and arms and walking them around on leashes - no biggie.  Surregate nursing - too crazy!)  lol

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:

How long is unopened powdered formula good for? I figure the premade would have gone bad already, right? I have a year in my brain as the limit on powdered. I think they should find a mama goat while maggie or one of the other women lets the baby nurse. Preferrably sophia's mom (can't remember her name!) Since she must have lactated before, so she is more likely to relactate now.

LOL, I had the goat plus relactate idea too. I highly doubt it will happen on the show. But clearly, mothering.com mamas would be awesome at this surviving a zombie-c-section survival scenario! lol.

The birth was so horrific, and I cried at her goodbye speech to her son. I'm a little over being upset about the birth politics aspect of it. I figure it's a gruesome, dark show, so of course the birth scene will be dark and gruesome. That said, it pisses me off that she had a rupture when only about 1 in 200 women MAYBE would. OK I guess I'm not over it. GAH! Must go make dinner and stop procrastinating.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM

proud of my boys - the first thing they said was "who is going to nurse the baby?"

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Anyone know if/when the group in the prison is going to meet up with the Governor's group? I'm wondering if that will happen sooner rather than later, and i bet the Gov. has not only a huge stockpile of formula but also lactating mamas at the ready (because he can meet everyone's needs dontcha know)....didnt they mention that there is a mom about to give birth when the "tour guide" was telling andrea how many people they had there? Maybe Rick's group will find them or be found, and that will solve the infant feeding problem. And powdered milk or something like that should be ok for the short term for the baby. If i recall powdered formula will keep awhile...yes, it might have an "expired" date but i doubt it would have truly "gone bad" esp if the other option is no food/death for the infant.

That episode was insane. I dont even LIKE lori and i was nearly crying and poor TDog....i knew he was probably a goner the first time it showed him disagreeing with Rick about the convicts.

Its interesting how everything is related...if Rick had not locked that young guy out in the yard and instead killed him (or allowed him to stay with the group), he would not have let all the walkers in as revenge and T Dog and Lori would probably both be alive (i assume all that running and chaos brought on her labor) and who knows where Carol is...i think she'll be found alive though. Looks like the two "good guy" convicts will be allowed to stay with the group now.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 PM

I made the mistake of reading the wikipedia summary of the Walking Dead comic book and it sounds horrible...not horrible as in badly written but horrible as in emotionally devastating! even worse than the tv show! i had wanted to read it but finding out about some of the character deaths...i think i'll try to forget all about it.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post

proud of my boys - the first thing they said was "who is going to nurse the baby?"

It is hard to imagine letting my kids watch this show ever. No judgment -- we are all different. But how do your boys do with it? How old are they? Mine are 8 and 5 -- watching anything like this seems a lifetime away...

Rachel

Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Tribalmax, I just finished watching the show online, and I wanted to warn you. Unfortunately, you've already seen it!

Even DH teared up with this episode. Rick's reaction was heart-wrenching!  Also, I would like to know how they'll feed the baby. I would have put the baby to the mother's breast for the colostrum, even though she was already dead. Colostrum wouldn't turn the baby into a zombie, would it? confused.gif

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 PM

my boys are in Middle school and are avid comic book readers. They enjoy the show and the story line

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Thanks for thinking of me Becky!!

Interesting thought about the colostrum. I suppose that after she was shot in the head, and wouldn't risk turning into a zombie, having the babe nurse would be safe. Although I am not sure I could stand to hold a precious new babe to the breast of a mom that had a C-section and was shot in the head...would be pretty grizzly. 

I honestly don't have any good ideas about how they will feed the baby. I doubt they will have anyone re-lactate. But it would be super cool if they did. The formula surely would be bad -- much less how they would wash and sterilize bottles. It will be interesting to see how they play this for sure.

I am excited for Sunday night!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM

This wouldnt be the first baby in history whose mother died in childbirth and the options for feeding the baby were limited. Maybe they will run across another farm with a goat or sheep or cow that has milk. Maybe they will find some formula or fortified powdered milk somewhere. They are in a prison, there is likely some form of milk (canned/powdered/etc) there. Maybe there is some type of "formula" (like ensure) in the prison hospital area. Who knows. I'm sure they will figure it out. Yes, clean water will be an issue, but i really dont think they need to "sterilize" bottles, i never did when i was bottlefeeding one of my babies.

I cannot imagine, after cutting open my friend, taking her baby, her being shot in the head, me being covered in blood, zombies all around, worrying about the baby freezing (which at this point is probably MORE of a risk...maintaining body temp...than feeding the baby!) totally traumatized...thinking "oh let me put the baby to the mother's breast for the colustrum!" i mean....really??? at this point, they are STILL on the run from the zombies that are around every corner right?? her goal was to get that baby to safety. Out into the yard where the people with weapons are.

For pete's sake Lori was able to get a pg test and the morning after pill and they seem to have an endless supply of condoms. I'm sure they will find a way to rustle up some food for the baby. It sounds like the search for milk for the baby will drive their direction (leaving the prison maybe??) in the next episode. I'm not sure why people keep saying "surely formula would be long expired by now!!!" Hasnt it been about 9 or 10  months since this whole situation started? Or at least less than a year?? Powdered formula will keep that long. Even if it was "expired" according to the date on the can, it likely would still be good enough to eat esp in this situation with limited options.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Tribalmax, I just finished watching the show online, and I wanted to warn you. Unfortunately, you've already seen it!

Even DH teared up with this episode. Rick's reaction was heart-wrenching!  Also, I would like to know how they'll feed the baby. I would have put the baby to the mother's breast for the colostrum, even though she was already dead. Colostrum wouldn't turn the baby into a zombie, would it? confused.gif

The way I understand the story, everyone is infected with the zombie virus, and as long as you're alive, you're okay.  Once you die, you turn into a zombie whether or not you've been bitten or not.   The living are okay, so I don't think the infant would turn into an automatic zombie if breastfed.  My question is, though, is the baby infected just because the mother is?  Maybe the baby is not?  The start of a new generation of non-infected humans?

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

The way I understand the story, everyone is infected with the zombie virus, and as long as you're alive, you're okay.  Once you die, you turn into a zombie whether or not you've been bitten or not.   The living are okay, so I don't think the infant would turn into an automatic zombie if breastfed.  My question is, though, is the baby infected just because the mother is?  Maybe the baby is not?  The start of a new generation of non-infected humans?

I believe when it first came out that everyone is infected, Rick said something about it being airborne. In that case, the baby would be infected too.

QueenJane, it's true that many women in history died in childbirth, but usually there would be a larger community that included nursing mothers who could act as wet nurses. (That happens in Game of Thrones in fact!) Much more dire in this case. I do imagine they'll make a run to a store for powdered formula, and hopefully they'll get their hands on a goat at some point. Not too likely though- everyone's hunting a lot so I would think a lot of the domestic goats would be eaten or wild in the woods by now. Plus you'd need a goat that had recently given birth- not something they can drum up right away. Powdered formula's their best bet. Will Walmart save the day? ;)

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 AM

(the quote feature didn't work right -- this is in response to CatsCradle's comment about the baby maybe not being infected)

Oooh, interesting point!! I hadn't thought of that!

;)

Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post

QueenJane, it's true that many women in history died in childbirth, but usually there would be a larger community that included nursing mothers who could act as wet nurses.

I was thinking more in times of war or famine, where you might not find a woman willing to nurse your baby because she barely has enough milk for her own. Or families living in more secluded areas where there isnt another lactating woman around. Obviously in many of these cases there are more options (a milking cow or something) or the baby did die. But i'm sure that in many cases they were able to concoct some sort of formula for the child, enough for it to survive until it can start eating more solid type food.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Another thought i had...everyone is focused on the baby...but how will they run from zombies with Hershel only having one leg??? And how will they keep infection from setting in with such a large wound? I keep reminding myself that amputations were often done "on the field" in the civil war in a less-than-sterile environment...i suppose its silly for me to expect any kind of realism in a show where the undead are running around eating people.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

Another thought i had...everyone is focused on the baby...but how will they run from zombies with Hershel only having one leg??? And how will they keep infection from setting in with such a large wound? I keep reminding myself that amputations were often done "on the field" in the civil war in a less-than-sterile environment...i suppose its silly for me to expect any kind of realism in a show where the undead are running around eating people.

Sorry, had to LOL because your observation is one that I've thought of (good lordy, why do I think about this show so much!).  One thing, we know a little more about infection and stuff since civil war times, but the issue is there the same.  I think ultimately we have to remember that this is a television show (DH and I watch late night showings of the Twilight Zone which have good moral underpinnings but are not reflective of anyone's reality), and I think the moral graplings with the show is more important than the specifics (i.e. there's no breast for the baby!).  I'm not dissing the "natural" approach to parenting, just saying that in an apocalyptic world, everything goes to hell so to speak.  Survival is the number one issue.  Curious to see how the baby is handled from here on out.  Goats, breasts, who cares?  The kid has to survive.  Hopefully they'll find a way.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Is the latest episode available to watch online?

I know a few weeks back I was able to watch a brand new episode right after it aired, but I'm unable to find tonight's episode.  I really want to watch it!

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:

QueenJane, that made me laugh! :)

Yes -- I agree about Hershel. I was shocked that he didn't have some horrible infection. Having one leg is definitely going to slow them down. But most of their traveling is in cars. I suspect they will just work that out or teach him to ride a motorcycle. 

Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM

I was surprised they didn't cauterize the wound. That's what they used to do to stop bleeding and prevent infection. I know the show is ultimately about the moral issues and exploring what happens when civilization collapses and I love it for that, it's super fascinating. But I need details to be semi-believable, dammit! Lol! Suspension of disbelief depends on the little things being realistic enough so that the situation is plausible as a whole. For me anyway.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM

I want to say there was a reason given for not cauterizing the wound...though i may have imagined that in my head!!!

on a totally different note.....i was ready to have darryl's baby after watching him give that baby a bottle while lovingly calling her "Little Ass Kicker" (and NO carl, please do not name that sweet little baby after any of the dead people you know!! really depressing! just name her Hope or Faith or something please!!!) I was watching The Talking Dead and apparently all over the internet women are talking about how they ovulated watching that scene, the host was saying HE ovulated watching that. ROTFLMAO.gif

I can see Darryl (darrel??) taking over as the leader while Rick has a meltdown, then his brother showing up and forcing him to choose between his blood family and his new family (who love and respect him more than Merle every did!)

Oh and the scene at the end in the prison with the walker and rick....i didnt think it was very clear what was going on, but the director explained it on The Talking Dead (the show after the show)....and well.....puke.gif

Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Another thought....the scene with

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

the Governor brushing his zombie daughter's hair

i thought was really compelling. On the one hand i was completely repelled...it was gross and dangerous and horrific. But on the other hand...i thought...if

my child had been turned

, maybe i would still see the person they were, beyond the zombie infection...maybe i would think that one day there would be a cure and if i could just keep them safe and "alive" (well..yknow...) that they would eventually be ok. Its crazy, but at the same time understandable. But then, when

he put the bag over her head and tied her up and locked her away

i thought, nope...i dont think i could do that. I dont think i could let them suffer that way, it just seems too cruel, that if there was any scrap of their own self, their humanity left, they would want to be free of all that. Death is not always the worst thing.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM

Nobody's watching anymore? I just watched all episodes until I was caught up last week. I don't like.scary so I have avoided the show but after giving it a shot I am totally addicted!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 AM

I NEVER miss an episode! I love it!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Oh, good!  I was so upset when Laurie died, I think they should have gone a different way, what do you think?

And what's wrong with Andrea?  I get that she needs a safe place, but I would be more scared to be around the crazy mayor than taking my chances outside of the walls ya know? 

Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:

and the scene at the end in the prison with the walker and rick....i didnt think it was very clear what was going on, but the director explained it on The Talking Dead (the show after the show)....and well.....puke.gif

What was it?

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 AM

SPOILER(don't know how to do the hidden thing)

Andrea I think is torn, but I don't know why she can't see what she needs to do!! Don't know how much I can say without it being a spoiler lol She is really getting on my nerves, though!! And Lori, that was really sad, but they have to keep it interesting I guess. I don't read the comics but I read now and then what people say happens and how it compares to the show. I am SO HAPPY Daryle came back and I am so waiting on something to happen lol I think Rick is coming back around and will be ok.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 AM

bmcneal-SPOILER ALERT!!

The walker ate Lori, and Rick in his anger cut open the walker.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:

bmcneal-SPOILER ALERT!!

The walker ate Lori, and Rick in his anger cut open the walker.

I thought it was kind of silly, because we've never before seen where a walker would consume an entire body, bones and all.  Even hair?? 

Andrea....ugh....she's become one of my least favorite characters. She is so...pathetic. Latches onto whatever man she deems strong/charismatic. And i get wanting "protection" in this setting...but to turn her back on Michonne who saved her life, refused to leave her, kept her alive for MONTHS for some guy who is pretty clearly psycho. I dont know that i could kill him in cold blood but i sure wish she would. CLEARLY the best course of action is to kill the Gov., and have the "good guys" take over/lead Woodbury.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM

I'm happy Daryl is back too, he's a fave character.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 AM

That walker definitely didn't eat Lori. No way could he have done it on his own. Remember the hitchhiker? He surely was snatched by a horde, and there were STILL remains left. There was only that little bit of blood from the c-section there on the floor. No other gore. 

Andrea is annoying, but I sympathize with her. She's spent a year running. She finally has a safe place to sleep, and she can participate in normal things like parties and regular, hot meals and warm showers. I think that she probably forced herself to be a bit oblivious in regard to the governor because she so badly wanted Woodbury to work. 

Who do we think will kill the governor, assuming he gets killed? I really want Maggie to do it! 

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

User Tag List