Top Chef All-Stars - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I was so  glad to see all three ladies make into the top! The boys don't give them enough credit, so it was good they got a shake-up. And you're right-- they weren't gracious about losing.

I do like almost everyone there now, so it's hard to see anyone go. If I had to choose, I'd say Mike I. should be next.

Top contenders: Richard, Angelo

with Dale, Antonia, and Carla all right in there too.

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 176 Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 PM

OK, I'm finally caught up on this show!!  I loved the last episode - I agreed with the judges that the antipasti & secondi courses looked way better than the pasta ones.  I thought Fabio should have won, though - his seemed more Italian & like it took more skill.  Even though I really didn't want to see him go, I thought Mike's dish should've been the losing one.  His sauce must have tasted pretty good to save the pasta!

I really disliked the quickfire - the one about fashion.  I mean, really?  I agreed with Dale's comment that he was a chef, & who cares what a fashion designer thinks about this food.  I agree that we eat with our eyes first, but that seemed to be pushing it a little for me.  Personally, I thought Richard's dish did not look appetizing at all.  Black ice cream? Yuck.  Maybe the next quickfire should be 100% about taste to compensate.  They could let the judges taste the food blindfolded & then see who wins.  It wouldn't matter at all what it looks like then!

It's getting down to some really good chefs & some heavy competition!!  Pretty much everyone that's left is awesome. 

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#93 of 176 Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumooned View Post
  They could let the judges taste the food blindfolded & then see who wins.

i like that idea!

gbailey likes this.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#94 of 176 Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 PM

yeah the ice cream looked pretty bad. it didn't look appetizing to me at all. I thought for sure he would hate fabio's little salmon in the rain people.. he didn't seem impressed while eating it! that was a stupid quickfire. I kind of thought they were going to throw a wrench at the last second and say, nevermind, we're judging on taste alone!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#95 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

So excited for the next episode. Of all the seasons of Top Chef, I am really enjoying this one the most. I like the idea of them blindfolding the judges.

#96 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM

I always like it when they do real food challenges... like the $10 dinner challenge (even though I had serious doubts on their ability to actually buy those ingredients at Whole Foods for $10)....or the one where they took what was in a neighborhood's fridges, etc.  I'd love to see them do a challenge with the money or food a typical person would have on WIC or food stamps.... with them having to budget for pantry items too (buying them from the Top Chef pantry for a certain amount.)  I'd also like to see them do quick fires on some basics... like the best vinaigrette, egg dish, etc.  I get a little sick of the yuzu jelly and more exotic ingredients sometimes.

neetling likes this.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#97 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

oh my gosh, a WIC challenge would be sooo good!
#98 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 07:59 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#99 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

Hahah, booger. Love it but soooo sad to see him go!
Beef tongue song is now stuck in my mind!
#100 of 176 Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 AM

I am very sad. I love Fabio... not just his cooking, but his attitude towards life.  I loved his whole one of these days Mr. Jimmy Fallon, I'm going to cook you a burger and you're going to be for forgiveness.  I honestly thought Dale was going home for too much salt.  His cheesesteak sounded so good...especially the pretzel roll.

Richard seems to be getting annoyed at being in the middle. I like how he's willing to share his knowledge and skills with the other contestants. I worry about his if you don't win, then it's pointless type attitude, though.   I hope he makes it to the final three.

#101 of 176 Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM

I, too, was sad to see Fabio go. I'd like to see Fabio have his own cooking show. I wouldn't be able to understand half of what he said, but it would be so entertaining lol.gif. Dale talking about what a beautiful, beautiful man Angelo is had me laughing my butt off. This really is my favorite season in a long time. Even the people I don't particularly like (like Mike) are entertaining. Oh, and I was glad to see Carla win this one. I just love her.
#102 of 176 Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

I am very sad. I love Fabio... not just his cooking, but his attitude towards life.  I loved his whole one of these days Mr. Jimmy Fallon, I'm going to cook you a burger and you're going to be for forgiveness.  I honestly thought Dale was going home for too much salt.  His cheesesteak sounded so good...especially the pretzel roll.

Richard seems to be getting annoyed at being in the middle. I like how he's willing to share his knowledge and skills with the other contestants. I worry about his if you don't win, then it's pointless type attitude, though.   I hope he makes it to the final three.

Agree with everything you said!  So sad to see Fabi go :(  he did have a classy exit, and such a positive outlook.  He just seems like a great person to hang around with.

I agree about Richard's attitude, like its only worth it if he wins.  

I'm sure I'm in the minority, as someone who can't stand stand-up comedy, but I didn't like the whole Jimmy Fallon thing, it seemed really contrived and the humor was annoying.  I was rolling my eyes half the time at the corny jokes with whoever that sidekick guy is.  The food looked great, I wish i could have tried it!!  But the challenge itself was not that interesting to me.

I was afraid Dale was going to go!  I have never been a big Dale fan, but he has been doing great this season (except the past couple weeks), and I will be sad if he's not in the top 3!  Oh, I LOVED it when he was saying how Angelo is a stunning, stunning man  ROFL

The QF fondues looked so yummy, too! 

#103 of 176 Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I was really in shock to see Fabio leave. He has such a great personality but also hasn't he performed pretty consistently? I'd like to know what exactly goes into the process. Are they really judged on just that one dish or do they look into what they've cooked the entire season? I was for sure it was going to be Tiffany. As much as I like her she doesn't seem to be performing that well this season.

Love Richard but was disappointed by some of his cocky comments.

I think a WIC challenge would be interesting. Whichever poster suggested that should email it to the producers. I would make it an elimination challenge nota quickfire and have the families participate in the judging process.

#104 of 176 Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 PM

So sad to see Fabi go. Goodness, he is precious. I enjoy Carla so much, and I'm really happy she's doing so well. Did anyone catch her on Jimmy Fallon's The Late Show (?) by any chance? I don't even know what channel it comes on so I missed out. Her excitement is contagious. She makes me smile and happy to watch her do her thing.

I think once Mike and Tiffany are gone, it's going to be anyone's game. This really is a great season. 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#105 of 176 Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 AM

Here is FAbio's TV Guide interview:  http://www.tvguide.com/News/Top-Chef-Fabio-1029121.aspx  Wow, does that guy have a great attitude or what.  He'll be successful in whatever he does. 

#106 of 176 Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 PM

in my heart, he'll always be *the* top chef. duck.gif

seriously, he needs his own show. the way he expresses himself is freaking awesome. he rocks.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#107 of 176 Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Tonight brings Muppets!!! The promo I saw last night said there's a "shocking" elimination and showed Angelo's face. So maybe Dale?  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelle-weber/top-chef-all-stars-liveblog-muppets-target_b_824272.html

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#108 of 176 Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If Carla goes, I am dropping a flaming poopy diaper outside Collichio and Sons,

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#109 of 176 Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

If Carla goes, I am dropping a flaming poopy diaper outside Collichio and Sons,

ROTFLMAO.gif

I'm worried that it's Richard.  I will be very sad because I truly think he is one of the most talented chefs.  

It's either Richard, Dale, or Angelo.  I don't think that Top Chef would view an elimination of one of the women as shocking.  

#110 of 176 Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 AM

last night was a really weird challenge. i *loved* the muppets thought. elmo was awesome when he said that antonio's cookies looked like cow chips!! LMAO. i laughed a lot last night. 

what goes around comes around though. never ask another chef what your dish needs. taste your OWN food!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#111 of 176 Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 AM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I loved the cookie challenge too! But then again, I love cookies.  I'm glad they called out Richard for not doing a cookie.  Dale's cookie sounded yummy... all that salty and sweet.  Antonia's cookie looked good too.

I thought the challenge was interesting.  I never thought about how tiring it must be running back and forth in a giant Target like that.  I was surprised that Carla spent so much time on decor, and so little on her food.  I have to say that Angelo handled his elimination well.  He was much mellower this season--and seemed a lot more grateful/appreciative of the experience.  Kind of like Tiffani from Season 1 was.

Antonia is turning out to be a real contender.  I'd love for her to win.  

#112 of 176 Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 AM

antonia went almost all the way in her season. she took a while to warm up, but she was red hot at the end. i was so sad when she went home.  

#113 of 176 Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM

do you think the pupeteers tasted the cookies (off camera of course) so that they could be fair judges and also offer the comments they did? Just something I was wondering last night while I was watching.....

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#114 of 176 Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post

do you think the pupeteers tasted the cookies (off camera of course) so that they could be fair judges and also offer the comments they did? Just something I was wondering last night while I was watching.....

Yes, I think they did.  My guess is that they gave the puppeteers cookies and milk/milkshakes (if applicable) so that they could talk about the cookies.  

#115 of 176 Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 PM

so cute, tom's blog: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/blogs/tom-colicchio/monsters-and-a-monster-store

#116 of 176 Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 PM

i just caught up on the last two eps.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to fabio going home! That was a nightmare! So glad Carla got the win- she has won so many trips!

Watching Carla running around looking for a table cloth.. it felt like a nightmare I've had before about not having enough time and getting stuck doing stupid things when you have something important to do.

I was really concerned it was going to be Carla. I thought it was going to be Tiff for sure. Angelo actually made me tear up at the end! I despised him during the last season. DId anyone else think it was weird how Mike kept sending him running around for his utensils? Where's my peeler? Where's my can opener? really?
Ok, and WHAT was up with Angelo's black knee high socks?!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#117 of 176 Old 02-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Loved this from Anthony Bourdains bravo blog
"End of the day, Angelo went home. He may have been a better all-around cook than some. But his soup was far and away the worst. Top Chef is like the baseball play-offs. Doesn't matter who the better team is -- or who has the best season stats."

#118 of 176 Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I was disappointed Angelo went home. I didn't care for him much during his season but I grew to like him this time around. I hope Carla and Richard make it to the end. They're my favorites. Wonder if Angelo was really tired or something. I feel like his misstep was unusual considering how precise he's been in the past.

#119 of 176 Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 AM

honestly, he seemed depressed. maybe losing his season really kicked the shit out of him. you know if he hadn't gotten sick he would have easily won. he was so fired up then. this season he seemed to have very low energy and lacked confidence. i felt bad for him and his black knee socks... he was like "i suck. i know."

#120 of 176 Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

It seems like a lot of the top contenders lack confidence this season.  LOL at the black knee socks comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post

honestly, he seemed depressed. maybe losing his season really kicked the shit out of him. you know if he hadn't gotten sick he would have easily won. he was so fired up then. this season he seemed to have very low energy and lacked confidence. i felt bad for him and his black knee socks... he was like "i suck. i know."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page