Top Chef All-Stars - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 176 Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I was totally inspired by this week's Quickfire and I added some crushed up pretzels to my normal Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe.  Completely delicious.  I would have added potato chips as well...but we didn't have any.  I totally recommend it!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 176 Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM

awesome!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#123 of 176 Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Did anyone see the new preview for tomorrow's episode? It was very different from the one that was shown on the end of the previous episode. I'll put it as a spoiler just in case no one wants to know before tomorrows show.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The preview has Richard griping about Mike Isabella stealing his dish and Antonio and Carla are talking about bad chef etiquette and stealing another Chef's idea. Mike is shown kind of laughing about it and Richard seems really upset about it.
#124 of 176 Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM

Yes, I saw that preview. 

I wonder if Richard goes home...or Mike wins some sort of significant money.  

Should be interesting.

I can't decide who I want to see in the final three.  I think my final four are Richard, Carla, Antonia, and Dale.

#125 of 176 Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM

I agree with your final 4.  My final 2 are Richard and Dale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

Yes, I saw that preview. 

Should be interesting.

I can't decide who I want to see in the final three.  I think my final four are Richard, Carla, Antonia, and Dale.

#126 of 176 Old 02-22-2011, 04:36 PM

i loved richard during his season. but he has been so dour this one. he just doesn't seem like he's having any fun. dale seems so much more centered and focused, and of course i love carla and antonia... if it comes down to the two of them i will cry!!!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#127 of 176 Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Richard has lost so much weight since his season, too. It makes me wonder if he has been sick or just really stressed out. I like Dale much better this season than I did in his season. And Carla is just a doll - I love her. I was really worried it was going to be her last week.
#128 of 176 Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

If that happened I'd be totally bummed. I'd love to see Carla, Richard, Dale and Antonio in the final four as well. I'm hoping that preview is just to get everyone to watch tonights episode. Maybe it looks more serious than it is. DH has joked that this is the longest season ever of Top Chef. He feels like it's  been on a full year. LOL

Quote:

Yes, I saw that preview. 

Should be interesting.

#129 of 176 Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Very sad for Dale.  I liked him a lot this season.  I also think he made some incredible food.

I thought Tiffany was going home or Carla...but then when they said about the crouton being too mustardy or whatever that they couldn't taste anything...it seemed like Dale was toast.

I felt so sad for Antonia with the Quickfire.  She should have won.   I also felt bad for Richard.  Mike Isabella is a *$&(.

#130 of 176 Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM

I was shocked. :(

#131 of 176 Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM

i can't stand mike. he's not that great of a cook, and his personality is like dirty mop. disappointed.gif

gbailey likes this.

#132 of 176 Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 PM

So, I was thinking about last night... and even thinking about some past challenges... do you think the scoring should be changed? Should it just be about that moment's dish... or should winning past quickfires and challenges some how count? Should placing in the bottom also count?

It seems like Dale won so many challenges... 4 quick fires...and 3 challenges... should he have gone home?  Tiffany has not won one quickfire nor one challenge.  Nothing.  Nada.  Yet she stays?  It doesn't seem right to me? (Nothing against her, though... she seems nice.)

#133 of 176 Old 02-24-2011, 02:42 PM

i love tiffany, but she doesn't really seem like she's cranking it out this time. and dale seems like a better chef, but that doesn't count for much on TC, eh? 

gbailey likes this.

#134 of 176 Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I don't care for Mike either. I find him very rude and irritating. Very wrong of him to use an idea he saw in Richard's book. Was so glad Richard went on to win a challenge though.

I was so irritated with Angelo telling Dale he's getting under Richard's skin. I mean was that really necessary and then he helped Dale lose? I was shocked Dale chose Angelo. He doesn't know what happens when Angelo has his hands in other peoples dish?

I think I like the judging the way it is. It makes the chefs stay on top of their game in order to stay. That being said, I still feel like Tiffany doesn't belong there. She's consistently in the bottom three. I'm shocked she's still there. Hoping Mike is gone next week.

#135 of 176 Old 02-27-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

I was shocked Dale chose Angelo. He doesn't know what happens when Angelo has his hands in other peoples dish?

well, he didn't really CHOOSE Angelo.. he was the last chef left!I
I felt so sorry for him as he watched everyone else get picked! He made this sad little gesture and face each time, like it didn't bother him, but you could tell he was hurt.
I was so nervous it was going to be Carla. I thought it should have been Tiff too. Dale's attitude the last few eps has been kind of annoying.. I don't remember how many times we heard him say things like "If I don't win, Iis not worth playing". I can't believe Mike stole Richard's dish! and then won with it! what a brat!
Does the sound of fried mayonaise make anyone else queasy?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#136 of 176 Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't remember Angelo being the last one left for Dale. I just remember Dale praising him. Gives me another reason to rewatch that episode on demand.

Yes, fried mayo made me queasy. I'd like to see Mike go next and then Tiffany. The previews scared me though. Hope it's not Richard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

Quote:

I was shocked Dale chose Angelo. He doesn't know what happens when Angelo has his hands in other peoples dish?

well, he didn't really CHOOSE Angelo.. he was the last chef left!I
I felt so sorry for him as he watched everyone else get picked! He made this sad little gesture and face each time, like it didn't bother him, but you could tell he was hurt.
I was so nervous it was going to be Carla. I thought it should have been Tiff too. Dale's attitude the last few eps has been kind of annoying.. I don't remember how many times we heard him say things like "If I don't win, Iis not worth playing". I can't believe Mike stole Richard's dish! and then won with it! what a brat!
Does the sound of fried mayonaise make anyone else queasy?

#137 of 176 Old 02-28-2011, 09:38 AM

With Fabio, Dale, and Angelo all gone... if Richard doesn't make it to the finals, then something is seriously wrong.  I think Antonia could possibly beat him, but if he's not even in the finals, then I think it would call into question the whole contest--as so many great chefs have been eliminated.  I mean Tiffany in the finals but no Richard? And she's yet to win one thing? Puh-lease.  I hope Carla makes it to the finals as well, but I think Antonia seems to be a better chef.

I love mayo and butter and all fatty stuff, but have no desire whatsoever to taste fried mayo (or butter or bacon). Now, when Nigella Lawson did fried Bounty bars (like a Mounds)...that looked mighty yummy. 

Quote:

I didn't remember Angelo being the last one left for Dale. I just remember Dale praising him. Gives me another reason to rewatch that episode on demand.

Yes, fried mayo made me queasy. I'd like to see Mike go next and then Tiffany. The previews scared me though. Hope it's not Richard.

#138 of 176 Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 PM

WOOT!

#139 of 176 Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM

I'm finally caught up again on Top Chef!

I was sad to see Dale go - I thought he deserved to be there more than a couple of the others.  Tiffany & Mike, to me, seem like the least talented chefs. 

Fried mayo sounds absolutely disgusting to me, too.  I'm not a mayo fan & not a huge fan of fried food, but still, fried mayo - really? grossedout.gif

Tonight's show was really emotional!  They all seemed so exhausted, physically & mentally.  I was really happy for the winner!  The ending was pretty tense.  I have to say, I thought what Padma said to Richard & the way she drew it out was pretty mean!  The look on his face said it all.

That is crazy that Antonia & Mike are related!  Like she said, you couldn't write something like that!!

Question: Why does everyone get so worked up over the quickfires?  They don't give the winner immunity anymore - sometimes a prize.  Elimination is not based on them at all.  I see that they all want to do their best at all times, but I don't understand why there is drama around the quickfires when it doesn't really mean a whole lot right now.  Maybe I'm missing something!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#140 of 176 Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 AM

Wow.  I was so happy that everybody cooked their best.  It was nice to see people's families.  Carla and her husband's story was cute.  Richard has issues.  Why should he feel more pressure because his wife competes in triathlons or whatever?? Let it go, Richard.  I'm totally afraid he's going to choke. I honestly thought Carla was going home for undercooked veggies or that they'd send Tiffany home just because she hasn't won anything.  I've been watching Top Chef since Season 1 and was totally shocked that they let everybody go to the finals.  Part of me was happy.... part of me thought it was a cop out.  So, does that mean two chefs are eliminated the first round in the Bahamas? (Or was it Bermuda?)

Yeah for Antonia winning again! I really think she can go all the way!

#141 of 176 Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:

part of me thought it was a cop out.  So, does that mean two chefs are eliminated the first round in the Bahamas?
thats what I was thinking! But didn't we have a double elimination earlier in the season? maybe that made up for this one?
I was really glad that they didn't send someone home on a great dish. When Richard was not eliminated he said to padma "WHY DID YOU... THANK YOU!" I thought it was Tiffany for sure. Her dish didn't look all that appetizing to me. I can't believe she is in with NO wins! how does that happen?

They said the chefs will go head to head with the winners from their season, so who is that for each one?
Mike I. vs. Mike Voltaggio
Carla vs. Hosea
Antonia AND Richard vs Stephanie
Tiffany vs Kevin, which honestly, she might have a shot..

I'm worried for Carla. But she has really been holding her own this time! Mike l is going down.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#142 of 176 Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 AM

i love you carla! mecry.gif

#143 of 176 Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Carla seems like a genuinely nice and caring person and I was sad to see her go.  She looks like a hoot to hang out with.

#144 of 176 Old 03-10-2011, 04:07 PM

I was sad to see Carla go. I honestly thought it was going to be Antonia.  

I was glad that Tiffany beat the chef who won from her season, but honestly I think Carla had a much better chance of winning than she does--just based on past performance.

I do not like Mike Isabella at all.  I don't think I'd want to eat in a restaurant of his even if he was the best chef in the universe (which he isn't).

Was anybody else surprised that they didn't send home two chefs?

#145 of 176 Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM

marcel is going to have a show on syfy about molecular cooking... my sons want to wacth it & I'm like "arg I can't stand him!!"

but maybe in a show with no competition he'll be fine

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#146 of 176 Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM

I would love to watch a spin-off show with Carla and her husband while they travel on all the trips she's won on TC. Go Carla. I didn't realize this, but she used to be a fashion model. Not surprising---she's just a lovely person inside and out. I'm really going to miss her. I don't like that they keep giving them crappy equipment and poor working conditions. Oh well, I guess that's all part of the schtick. 

I think Richard is most likely going to win it, but I'm rooting for Antonia. The previews for the conch diving looked hilarious. 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#147 of 176 Old 03-11-2011, 12:58 PM

I think Carla mentioned being a model during the frivolous fashion QF a few weeks ago.
I adore her I think she is just fab.

I am staring to be SO over Richard! He is such a debbie downer! "I hate everything I do, to be candid". And his little facial expressions when anyone else wins anything.. he's just not FUN. And I think his food is suffering for it. I can't believe Mike beat Voltaggio and then won the elimination. Crazy. I really thought it was Tiffany's night to go. She has one exactly one time this whole season.. and it wasn't really even a win. She's not the only one that beat her season's top chef. I'm over her in a big way, too.

#148 of 176 Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Richard is starting to bug me as well. His insecurity is annoying and his "i should win everything attitude" makes me roll my eyes.

Was sorry to see Carla go. I really enjoy her spirit and personality.

#149 of 176 Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM

On the Bravo site Gail's latest blog had a message to Richard to stop being so negative. She thinks he needs therapy. I think she's right!

You can also vote for fan favorite there. I was torn, but ultimately I went for Fabio. I was sad to see Carla go, but I was totally bummed to see Fabio go. I guess you can vote 80 times per phone number you enter.. That doesn't really seem fair. Maybe I'm just old fashioned..

#150 of 176 Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM

I didn't think that seemed really fair either.  I don't have time to vote 80 times.  So that means my vote really doesn't count at all next to somebody who does have more free time/money to vote for their favorite.

I love Carla and Fabio.  But I also thought about Tiffany and Stephan just because I liked them so much more this season than on their original seasons.  They both seemed to have grown as people a lot.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page