Top Chef All-Stars - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 176 Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm watching now. When the judges all wandered onto the beach in white, I thought this was some sort of cult challenge.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 176 Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just finished watching. trying not to put anything encriminating into these first few lines..
did anyone else feel like that was really predictable?

I don't understand how she hung around so long with no real wins.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#153 of 176 Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM

actually on her season she was pretty rocking. this season, not so much. i love her, but she isn't a top chef. 

i am rooting for antonia! she is my girl, but it seems mike has it in the bag. he actually TRAINED. 

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#154 of 176 Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM

I hear you on training. Who goes to the Bahamas without experimenting with conch?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#155 of 176 Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM

I'm hoping for Antonia. I'm OK with Richard but his negative attitude has really gotten to me.  He's also much more "this is a competition" now.

OK...I guess I'm basically anybody but Mike.  His lusting over Padma was a bit creepy as well.  Could totally see him on the side of the street yelling at chicks, etc.  Blech.

I wasn't surprised by last night's results--I wish her well.  

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#156 of 176 Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM

LOL. 

my DH works with a guy who's from the bahamas. he says they ate conch twice a day usually!

i'm from buffalo NY, guys like mike are dime a dozen there. arrogant, ignorant loud mouths full of themselves who are really overly sensitive mamas-boys! and i was lusting after padma too!! she is amazingly hot, even if she is a little too skinny. loveeyes.gif

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#157 of 176 Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Does anybody else wonder if they stocked the Ocean with conch? Granted it's been awhile since I've been in the Bahamas, but are they really that plentiful...just hanging out... waiting for four chefs to scoop up 40 of them?

One good thing about Padma is her weight seems to fluctuate a bit throughout the season--and she seems pretty comfortable with herself regardless.  Granted, she's still always skinny--but I know many TV people who would freak out much more.  I love how she is so unapologetic about the scar on her arm.  I'm guessing her special bday date is her daughter's.

I loved conch chowder when I had it... but then again, you can put just about anything in a nice creamy broth and add potatoes and I'll be happy.  

#158 of 176 Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 PM

let me just say I was thrilled to not hear anyone the whole episode call it "ConCH" instead of "Conk".. that is a pet peeve of mine!

I was thinking about how many conch were down there too. seemed like a lot.

Even in Tiffany's season I didn't think she was that impressive. I just don't really think she's that great of a chef.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#159 of 176 Old 03-17-2011, 01:19 PM

yeah, i think carla is a better chef than tiffany. but a lot of amazing chefs have gone home already this season; jen, dale and dale, angelo, etc... it's all about surviving! and sometimes the one in the middle is the safest!

#160 of 176 Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post

a lot of amazing chefs have gone home already this season; jen, dale and dale, angelo,

no, yeah, I totally agree. I kind of want a do-over of this season with these same chefs! (well, maybe marcel and stephan can stay home..)
I am going to be sad when this season is over.

#161 of 176 Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 AM

I'm annoyed.

OK...it says my mobile browser blah blah blah... I'm not using a browser. None the less, there's no spoiler thing... so stop reading if you haven't watched.

I think Mike I. had way too much power for such a critical challenge. Have to do the Japanese last supper was 1000x more difficult than fried chicken and biscuits. I honestly think that to be fair, rather than doing a "last bite", they should have had to each prepare the other person's dream meal assignment. Had that been the case, Antonia would have won. And speaking of that... I thought that when they were going around the table, she did win. They went to Wolfgang as the last person and he said that hers was the one he'd remember in the morning or some such thing.

I'm very happy for Richard...but I much would have preferred a Richard/Antonia final. That way, I'd be happy no matter who won. Now, if Richard loses, I'm going to be upset.

So final challenge is their dream restaurant?

#162 of 176 Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

I'm annoyed.

OK...it says my mobile browser blah blah blah... I'm not using a browser. None the less, there's no spoiler thing... so stop reading if you haven't watched.

I think Mike I. had way too much power for such a critical challenge. Have to do the Japanese last supper was 1000x more difficult than fried chicken and biscuits. I honestly think that to be fair, rather than doing a "last bite", they should have had to each prepare the other person's dream meal assignment. Had that been the case, Antonia would have won. And speaking of that... I thought that when they were going around the table, she did win. They went to Wolfgang as the last person and he said that hers was the one he'd remember in the morning or some such thing.

I'm very happy for Richard...but I much would have preferred a Richard/Antonia final. That way, I'd be happy no matter who won. Now, if Richard loses, I'm going to be upset.

So final challenge is their dream restaurant?

I agree with you!  I thought that the final challenge would have been to prepare the other person' s final meal.  I think that would have been equitable.  That way it really is a head to head.  I don't think Mike deserves to be in the finale.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#163 of 176 Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 AM

I don't care much for Mike's personality either.  But I am not disappointed to see him in the finale.  He has been doing a really good job this season and he seems to deserve it.  I'm pretty sick of both his and Richard's personalities at this point though (was Richard this obnoxious last time?!?)  So I am not sure I will care too much about who wins.  At least I won't be upset either way.

I have never understood all the Antonia love though.  She seems very sweet and like a darn good chef.  But I've never perceived her to be the best chef in the group.  I am never exactly sure why people seem so outraged when she gets sent home.  Not sure if it's a girl power thing or just something that I'm not seeing or "getting".

I'd also love to see a re-do.  I think many of the very best chefs got sent home too soon.  Plus this was one interesting cast of characters. :) 

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#164 of 176 Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM

I will admit that for me it's a girl power thing. Also, I do not like Mike.

#165 of 176 Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM

For me, it is partly a girl power thing.. .but it's also I do think she's a great chef. She might not use all of the liquid nitrogen/agar stuff like Richard (and Marcel King of Foam), but she definitely held her own--winning quite a few things or being in the top 3.

I don't like Mike Isabella's personality at all--and definitely that affects how I see his dishes. I would have much rather seen Dale in the top two. Of the chefs who were left near the end, I think he was far more talented than Mike I. or Tiffany.

#166 of 176 Old 03-25-2011, 08:29 AM

Can't stand Mike, I agree, I'd much rather see Dale in the Final 2.  Richard's fine, but Mike, uh uhn.  I was heartbroken to see Carla go, and to go before Tiffany, wtf!

#167 of 176 Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 AM

YAY!!  joy.gif

#168 of 176 Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 AM

I don't know how I feel about the finale.  I've been itching to discuss it here, but wanted to wait until the risk of spoiling it for others is over.

#169 of 176 Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM

By the end of the finale, I sort of wanted it to go the other way.
#170 of 176 Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

I was happy with the finale last night. I would have preferred to see Richard and Antonia in the final though. Mike irritated me the entire season but he did a good job. I was very satisfied with the final results though I was hoping Richard made the Capt. Crunch ice cream because I wanted to see what it looked like. 

Maybe the show is edited to look like something goes wrong when Angelo's hands are in a dish because I was surprised Richard wanted him as a sous chef. In any event, everyones team worked so well together and that was nice to see. 

ETA: Now, it would be nice for them to have an all-star show with the winners.

#171 of 176 Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

By the end of the finale, I sort of wanted it to go the other way.

See that's how I feel. 

With as much as they both annoyed me this season, I agreed with the final two.  But during the finale Richard continued to annoy me with his whining and Mike had such a good attitude about everything.  I was especially impressed with how he handled picking Jaime as a chef.  And it was nice to see all the chefs work together so well for once.

As for the food, Mike's looked way better to me.  It had appeared like the judges enjoyed it more too.  I think if the world wasn't expecting Richard to win, it would have gone to Mike based on the finale performance.  And this has nothing to do with anything, but I suppose I was somewhat hoping for Mike to win verses Richard because it would have been so huge for him.  Richard already owns restaurants and this could have been Mike's big chance.  And I was so over Richard's pity parties by the time it was done lol.

#172 of 176 Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 AM

I felt exactly the same way. As much as Mike has annoyed the cr@p out of me for two seasons, it seemed like by the end of this season he had really grown as both a person and a chef. Personally, I would have been freaking out if I picked Jamie, but he handled it so gracefully and made the best of what he had. I sort of wanted to slap Richard by the end of it with all his whining.
#173 of 176 Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM

i have to agree--although I am happy for Richard. That guy needs some therapy, though.

I was happy Carla won fan favorite... actually I would have been happy with Fabio too.

I didn't know (or didn't remember) that Mike had quite his job, etc. I hope he does well.

I find that Curtis guy very annoying who will be hosting Top Chef All Stars. I found him annoying on his own show... when he guested on Biggest Loser, etc. Not sure if I'll be watching or not.

#174 of 176 Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM

Mike is apparently opening his own restaurant, so hopefully he'll be okay.
#175 of 176 Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM

i also find curtis stone super annoying.... I'll tune into TC Masters but I'm not sure if I'll watch it

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#176 of 176 Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

Marcel King of Foam
ROTFLMAO.gif

When they were looking at the table of food and trying to figure out who did what, and someone mentioned trying to avoid Marcel I yelled out "Just look for the foam!"

I agree with those who were starting to root against Richard during the finale. I found that to be a fairly anti-climactic ending to a season I enjoyed immensely greensad.gif
when does the next one start?!

anyone know where I can watch the show where they announce fan favorite and all that?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page