Top Chef All-Stars - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 176 Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It starts tonight at 10. Anyone watching? I'll be. I'm so excited to see Carla and Richard Blaise. Hoping Angelo is the first to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 176 Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

It starts tonight at 10. Anyone watching? I'll be. I'm so excited to see Carla and Richard Blaise. Hoping Angelo is the first to go.

well then aren't you crabby ;)

I'm digging seeing some of my favorites, although I would have liked to see a Voltaggio brother.

#3 of 176 Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 AM

loved it! my girl antonia is back!! wooo hooo.... jen kinda crashed and burned. this bummed me. love carla and richard and even angelo has grown on me. i think he's a little humbler now. 

i love elia. i was SO PISSED she was sent home and not stephen. he drives me crazy. 

really i was praying mike isabel would go home first. he needs a smackdown. rant.gif

i enjoyed seeing a crabby fabio.. and he and tony B are gonna clash all season... can't wait. lol.gif  (actually i love them both)

i thought the show was awesome and can't wait till next week. last season of top chef was a snore and this is just packed full of interesting drama, egos and personalities. orngbiggrin.gif

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#4 of 176 Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM

I haven't been able to watch yet, but I am bummed to see that Elia is gone already! that is suprising! She was such a contender! Did her hair grow back yet?

I really dislike some of the people who are back. I guess they couldn't just bring back the non-annoying people though..

Any guesses yet as to the winner? 

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#5 of 176 Old 12-03-2010, 06:00 AM

richard and angelo will most likely be in the finale. 

if they don't get distracted by all the drama. lol.gif

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#6 of 176 Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post

i adore your screen name. i saw it a while back and i just love it

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#7 of 176 Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 AM

so i watched the first ep on hulu. and I remembered what I found so frustrating about Elia! she just shuts down when she gets discouraged.

I wish Stephan would have been sent home first. I find him completely insufferable. 

Love Jaimie, Jen, Carla.. not into many of the guys, I do like Fabio and even though I was a die hard Angelo hater, he already seems less abrasive this go around. maybe last season was an ego check.

I thought making them recreate their losing dishes was genius! you know they have spent countless hours since they were sent home mentally fixing their dish! 

Whats so bad about frozen scallops? duck.gif

#8 of 176 Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post

i adore your screen name. i saw it a while back and i just love it

geee... thanks. i like it too. loveeyes.gif

#9 of 176 Old 12-04-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

LOL. Funny though...Angelo didn't bother me this episode. He seems more humbled than the previous season. He seemed to cook instead of just talking about how great he is. Stephen and Marcel I just can't take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neetling View Post

Quote:

well then aren't you crabby ;)

I'm digging seeing some of my favorites, although I would have liked to see a Voltaggio brother.

#10 of 176 Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Stephen and Marcel I just can't take.

I'm right there with you. And Mike Isabelle, although he seemed tamer this go-round too. I imagine they are there to rile people up. I guess it makes things more interesting for the average TV viewer, but I don't know that I really need an antagonist in Top Chef. I kind of like it when people are just nice to each other and cook great food. I guess I'm not the target audience!

#11 of 176 Old 12-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Love it! I could do without Angelo and Stephen. I love Spike, but I don't think he'll make it to the end. Also rooting for Carla, Jen, and Richard.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#12 of 176 Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM

yay, so happy TC is back, and loving this all stars edition!  I only started watching 1/2 way through season 4, and recently caught up on all the previous seasons, so this is a real treat for me to see it all come together like this! 

Wow, Mike I does not look good! And Richard is so thin!  Everyone except Steven is amazing; I can't imagine how they will decide who's going home each week!  I was really hoping for Jen C to do great- I know she has it in her, but it seems like she chokes under pressure.  Im a bit annoyed that Steven is even there; I believe he already came back on holiday specials, and they made a point of saying he's been doing front of the house and hasn't been working in a kitchen, and here he is back again still not having recently worked in a kitchen!

#13 of 176 Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I was kind of surprised Jen went home so early. I didn't expect her to make it to the final four but  thought she'd last longer. She may work at a really nice restaurant but her food never seemed that spectacular on her season.Angelo is not bugging me as much as he did last season. Richard is so skinny now and Stephen...I have to press mute when Mr. "I love in a spacious loft in Manhattan" comes on.

#14 of 176 Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 PM

I'm watching!

I, too, do not like Stephen.  Way too pretentious, imo.

I was shocked (as she obviously was, too!) to see Jen leave.  She was one of my faves.  I loved the off-camera yelling heard from her after she walked out the door!  I really expected her to last MUCH longer.  I kinda agree with her teammates that Jamie should've stuck it out & gotten her stiches later.  I thought the guy with the salty sauce was gonna go!

I expect to see Richard & Angelo make it pretty far.  Both came so close in their own season.

I really like that the show is allowing us to see some more of their personalities - some of the "behind the scenes" type stuff - like when they went exploring in the museum.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#15 of 176 Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 PM

I am sorry to see Jen go- I think she is probably a terrific chef, but doesn't do well in this competetive environment (which is strange since I'm sure being an executive chef in a Ripert restaurant is pretty high-stress!)  I really wanted to see her do well and make top 3 or 4.

I also think Stephen and Angelo will go far, hope so, anyway.

#16 of 176 Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Banned

I'm loving the challenges this season! They are really well thought out and cause the chefs to think and conceptualize more than the one-handed or other PIA challenges of previous seasons.

I was glad to see fabio be a little more humble and only one of the double eliminations surprised me...

Oh, and I loooove Anthony Bourdain too!!!
#17 of 176 Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I am really enjoying this season. I like the challenges too and I like that all of the chefs seems to be testing their own strengths and trying to do things differently. I was sorry to see Jen go but happy to say buh bye to Stephen.

I am enjoying Angelo this season because,instead of talking about how great and wonderful he is, he's just cooking.I was happy to see Dale when a challenge.

#18 of 176 Old 12-17-2010, 02:04 PM

i was surprised at how jen lost it when she got called out. everyone else seemed to know exactly what was wrong with their dishes. and then the yelling on the way out seemed.... ummm... out of control. i felt really bad for her, she was hurtin. 

i was surprised dale went home, thought it would be tiffany. 

i am loving this season too... since i can't even begin to know who to root for. i love so many of them!

#19 of 176 Old 12-19-2010, 02:07 PM

the last ep I saw was the Jen ep. I was pretty shocked that she was sent home. I really like Jamie, but I thought if anyone, she should have gone. Padma said something about even though she didn't contribute to the successes, she didn't contribute to the failures, either. I guess thats true, but i still thought she should have been the one to go. or the oversalted salmon saucer. 

I thought it was interesting that everyone else seems to have become more humble and mellow and Jen was just out of control. 

I'm glad to hear Stephen is gone soon. He is so annoying. 

Why did everyone on the TRex breakfast team think they would have everything PLUS meat? I heard Tom clearly say Animal and Animal By-Products only. I am loving this season!

I love spike and I can't believe it, but I love Angelo! and Fabio is great too. 

#20 of 176 Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM

any watch last night?

i thought the stuffing challenge was interesting however i thought it was completely dumb that they weren't allowed to use their knives!  i can see taking away tools/gadgets but knives are pretty essential.

overall i am very disappointed with jamie.  she seems to have such an attitude (maybe it's me) and to completely cop out of the challenge but say "oh, that's just the way it happened".  whatever, she should have gone if her dish really wasn't good.  i felt bad for spike but he should have spoken up during plating.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#21 of 176 Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 PM

I liked Spike.  I have a friend in DC that eats at his place often and we're planning on going there maybe next fall.

I think the producers are liking keeping Jaime on.  She cuts her finger and manages to stay.  She makes a terrible dish but her teammates never let her serve it so she squeaks by again.  I'll bet they hope she manages to fly under the radar a few more times just to keep the controversy going.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#22 of 176 Old 12-24-2010, 03:50 PM

I really liked Jamie during her season but she is wearing thin this go-round. I liked when spike said "this is a competition- you're eventually going to have to compete".  

#23 of 176 Old 12-25-2010, 06:07 AM

i loved jamie during her season UNTIL the "i'm all about local sustainable food" chef served chilean sea bass!!! ANY chef who doesn't know that it's on the "do not eat list" is a bum! for *her* to serve it was really just deplorable. 

#24 of 176 Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Jamie got off easy.  I'm not convinced her team's strategy would have worked, but I think she deserved to go home instead of Spike (who I like better)  I'm rooting for Richard so far.  I like so many of them it's hard to choose.

#25 of 176 Old 12-25-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm disappointed in Jamie.  I don't know why she bothered to come on the show if she doesn't want to compete.  her avoiding going up there was very un-chef like.  Even though they could'nt have sent her home since her food wasn't tasted, i do think the judges should have given her a talking-to about avoiding two challenges now and needing to see her step it up if she wants to stay!

I was surprised to hear the judges say that was some of the best food they'd eaten in the competition so far!  wow!

I didn't love how they set up the elimination challenge.  It seemed to make it as much about strategizing as it was about the food.  And the strategy aspect of it was over my head, I'll admit.  I think it would have been more exciting if they were serving US Open fans rather than just the judges in a big empty stadium.  I would liked to have seen whether Dale's comment about Carla's soup not being what people at the US Open like to eat was true or not, and it didn't matter since it was only the judges and that one tennis guy!

#26 of 176 Old 12-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Banned

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one that didn't understand the strategy part... But I also don't understand tennis ;0)
Jamie's attitude sucks and I forgot how much I love Carla!
#27 of 176 Old 12-26-2010, 11:54 AM

I loved Carlas "undone-te" quinoa- she is so funny!

#28 of 176 Old 12-27-2010, 01:41 PM

I didn't really like Jamie or Spike in their seasons, don't like them now, and have been waiting to see them go.

It's funny how so many chefs there always seem to think Fabio isn't much of a competitor, you'd think they'd learn by now.
#29 of 176 Old 12-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Yeah, Fabio is always underestimated. I think because he is not as competitive in spirit as some others? he seems to always have something funny to say.

He is always making gnocchi  this season.. some one should remind him, its called Top Chef, not Top Gnocchi

(remember when he said that to Jamie about her scallops?)

also, how on earth did that wire rack grate cheese?? unless the bars were squared off and had a crazy sharp edge I cant imagine it..

#30 of 176 Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so disappointed in Jamie. I hope she's the next to go. I don't feel like the other chefs feel like she deserves to be there and I agree.

Did anyone notice that Carla didn't have any wrappings on her hand at judges table? Maybe I  just missed it but after slicing her finger or nail so deeply I thought she'd have a bandage or something on. On her season she was always second guessing herself. I was glad she made the peanut soup even though everyone turned their nose at her for it. It was nice to see her come out on top after she stuck to her guns about it.

Why do people continue to let Angelo put his hands on their food? Seriously.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page