Supernanny makes me utterly ill - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-05-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know why I subject myself to this show, but I watched the episode from Friday night and really wanted to puke.  Did anyone else see it?  The parents seemed like much better parents than on most episodes, except maybe a bit lax on safety.  Jo completely slammed them and made the mom feel like crap for cosleeping with her 22 month old baby and not only "taught" her to use CIO, but encouraged her to sit in the room, so "he can see you ignoring him." Ugh.

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
#2 of 17 Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Yeah, she's (Jo) pretty cold-hearted and authoritarian.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#3 of 17 Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the warning, I DVRed it, but I won't bother watching it.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 17 Old 12-05-2010, 01:37 PM

I actually like super nanny (and look forward to it being on)... But, I always get frustrated and sad with her sleep training crap. I really felt bad for little Crew. We happily sleep with our almost 4 yr old, so 22 mos. seems really young to be stuck in a crib in another room (unless, of course, it happened to be what the kid really preferred). I was totally thinking about super nanny in the shower the other day (LOL - it had been a rough day), and how if I called her and was on the show I would insist that they leave sleeping alone, b/c it's not a behavioral issue that stresses us out. That said, the dad on the last show did say he wasn't happy with Crew being in their bed and that he wasn't getting any sleep himself. It just could have been approached in a more gentle way (or I guess dad could have slept on the couch, though that wouldn't fly for super nanny).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 17 Old 12-05-2010, 04:48 PM

That freaks me out SO MUCH when they do that weird sleep training thing where the parents sit in the room and act like the baby is invisible. How can anyone not see how traumatic and unnatural that behavior is?!

~PurityLake~ and mrsdocmartin like this.
#6 of 17 Old 12-06-2010, 01:14 PM

I saw that heartless bit, very upsetting!  When they were talking about "finally" getting the child out of the bed (and, sorry Dad...you move this family around 4 times in one year, and presently on some deserted island??) and they showed him I was like "BABY!"  That little boy was a baby.

~PurityLake~ likes this.
#7 of 17 Old 12-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Does anyone remember Nanny 911? I think it was on Fox. I really liked Nanny Deb on that one! (they rotated like 3 or 4 nannies) she was really gentle and compassionate. I wish THAT show was still on.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#8 of 17 Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogWife View Post

I saw that heartless bit, very upsetting!  When they were talking about "finally" getting the child out of the bed (and, sorry Dad...you move this family around 4 times in one year, and presently on some deserted island??) and they showed him I was like "BABY!"  That little boy was a baby.

I know! They needed to create stability or whatever and this dad kept them moving all the time? Not fair to the baby. Kids aren't dumb. Putting a few toys in the same room each time isn't going to fool him.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#9 of 17 Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM

I haven't seen this show, but when my daughter was really young, I want to say  less than 14 months old, she cried for me when I went to pay at the grocery store.  I turned to calm her and the clerk told me that Super Nanny said that if I did that my child wouldn't have any friends in school.  I was so dumbfounded I didn't know how to reply.  I just looked at her and said, She's a baby.  I knew that wasn't a show for me!

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#10 of 17 Old 12-09-2010, 01:31 PM

I generally like the show, although not when there is anything about separating kids/weaning.  She also gets onto parents harshly for being too punitive and for physical punishment.  She stresses routines, structure and spending good quality time with the kids and being consistent.  There are a lot worse ways to advocate I think.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#11 of 17 Old 12-09-2010, 01:38 PM

She's patchy with sleep things.  BUT she does consistently work hard to have parents engaging emotionally, listening and giving TIME to their kids and having a peaceful and harmonious home (ok, the way she does it isn't necessarily great, but there are shows where the parents are basically going spank, yell, spank, yell, spank ALL DAY LONG and she is way harsh about it).  And FWIW i used to "ignore" my HN DD1 when she was an infant.  I would hold her but not look at her.  It's hard to explain, but she was a child who couldn't ignore ANY distraction.  She had to be in a pitch black room in total silence to get to sleep (once asleep she was fine, but GETTING there was hard for her).  If i looked at her she would look at me and then go on screaming with exhaustion, unable to "disengage" and sleep.  DD2 is totally different (and since having her i finally "get" why people have multiple kids - after DD1 i looked into getting sterilised!) so i am reasonably confident it wasn't my imagination/being a crappy person/mother.

#12 of 17 Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 AM

I like her.  I think the thing she stresses the most is consistency. Routine, expectations and consequences need to be the same every time if people want to have kids that know how they are supposed to behave.    If co-sleeping isn't working for the whole family, then something needs to change.  I think the thing people forget when they watch the show is by the time they call her, things are sooo far gone that the parents have to go hard core to get back to basic expectations.

vbactivist likes this.
#13 of 17 Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

I like her.  I think the thing she stresses the most is consistency. Routine, expectations and consequences need to be the same every time if people want to have kids that know how they are supposed to behave.    If co-sleeping isn't working for the whole family, then something needs to change.  I think the thing people forget when they watch the show is by the time they call her, things are sooo far gone that the parents have to go hard core to get back to basic expectations.

Exactly. I've never seen her tackle sleeping "just because" or anything, there's always an issue of some kind.

vbactivist likes this.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#14 of 17 Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdocmartin View Post

I don't know why I subject myself to this show, but I watched the episode from Friday night and really wanted to puke.  Did anyone else see it?  The parents seemed like much better parents than on most episodes, except maybe a bit lax on safety.  Jo completely slammed them and made the mom feel like crap for cosleeping with her 22 month old baby and not only "taught" her to use CIO, but encouraged her to sit in the room, so "he can see you ignoring him." Ugh.

The exact reason why I just cannot watch this show irked.gif

I've caught a few episodes over the years and it made me tremble with rage at times.  

~PurityLake~ likes this.
#15 of 17 Old 01-05-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

I generally like the show, although not when there is anything about separating kids/weaning.  She also gets onto parents harshly for being too punitive and for physical punishment.  She stresses routines, structure and spending good quality time with the kids and being consistent.  There are a lot worse ways to advocate I think.

Yep.

Kids need consistency and routine. They also need clear expectations and consequences. I haven't seen all the shows, but what I have seen, I like. She really makes parents be parents... which is what we need more of lately.

#16 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Supernanny I haven't seen this show yet although I have heard it.

Worlds Best Mom
#17 of 17 Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM

I really enjoy Supernanny...and when DH walked in the room one night and saw what I was watching he rolled his eyes and laughed at me....but then after watching for a few minutes I asked him if he wanted to put another program on and he was like "uhh no this is ok." He ended up getting into it too! Yes, there are some practices that Jo Jo teaches that I do not agree with...the whole thing with little Crew sleeping in his crib in the other room, and the the mother having to sit on the floor while he screamed and cried for her made me uneasy. I saw it more as him finally giving up because he was exhausted rather than him calming down because she was physically there. And once he woke up again, the way he was flinging himself over the crib rails and onto the floor kind of struck me as a safety issue....what would happen if he landed the wrong way and hit his head or something - the parents wouldn't know until they went in and checked on him since they were no longer in the same room! My husband actually turned to me and said, "geez, why don't they just let the little guy sleep in his crib in THEIR room?" since our daughter is either in bed with us or in her PNP at the foot of our bed every night.  Agreed, husband....agreed. The way I look at it, in order for us to agree with 100% of the ideas on a parenting type show, we would have to be playing the "supernanny" role ourselves. There are too many schools of thought, guidelines, cultural customs, etc. out there to make a show that everyone agrees with all the time. However I think Supernanny really has a lot of positive things to offer, even in situations that have become too hard to handle for some families because they have allowed themselves to get into a pattern of negativity. I like how she puts emphasis on the relationship between partners as well as the parent/child relationship - always talking about making time to be with one another and openly communicate. I think a lot of her little tips and tricks are cool. I especially like how she sets certain parents straight when it comes to them leaving the children alone with a sitter the entire day so they can go tanning, get their hair and nails done, or hang out and sip lattes with their social club and then complain about their children not "connecting" with them and not respecting them. That specific episode was odd, I admit that....I didn't quite understand what the husband did that made it necessary to move every 2-3 months....and what contributed to that feeling was the fact that they were living on an isolated island, far removed from almost everything. I really felt for those children...I had to move and change schools ONCE when I was growing up and just that one time was horrible to me....I can't imagine how that can be healthy for them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page