DH thinks "Family Guy" is hysterically funny - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just don't get it at ALL. He watches this cartoon and laughs his butt off.

Is it funny? Am I too uptight?

I cant stand it.

I know some people (women and men) who like it. I must be missing something.

#2 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 AM

Family Guy requires a certain type of sense of humour. Lots of people don't get it or find it funny. Personally I love it. So does dh.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 AM

I also love family guy. But it's a weird mix of dark humor, "smart" humor, and really really silly/obnoxious humor, so I can see how some people wouldn't like it.

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#4 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Family Guy requires a certain type of sense of humour. Lots of people don't get it or find it funny. Personally I love it. So does dh.

That's what DH says. I am very senstive and find it to be upsetting and mean. DH says it's comic genius- whatever.

There are times he is laughing at the show and I actually laugh too, because I think it's so funny that he thinks the show is funny.

It's not a sore spot at all. I just sometimes have a hard time with; how can he think this is so funny if he is not this way himself?

He isnt, but his sense of humour is just strange to me, ex: If he walks in the door and I ask him how his day was, he replies that it was the same day he had yesterday, with a boring grouchy face. If I whispher in his ear "How was your day, you little jerk?", he smiles and chills out. After knowing him for 13 years, I have learned to appeal to his sense of humour. I just dont quite get it.

We have fun together, but we are sometimes laughing for different reasons.

KempsMama likes this.
#5 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 AM

We don't watch a lot of that type of TV but when I have caught bits and pieces of it, I did think some of it was very funny, especially Brian and his drinking problem.  Normally, I would not find a story line about someone with a drinking problem funny but when it is a dog who drinks martinis and is smarter than his master, I laugh out loud.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#6 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Brain doesn't drink martinis anymore. He switched to Jack Daniels a while back.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#7 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Yup.  Same here.

#8 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 AM

i love family guy and DH does too...well some times it pisses me off when they bring up certain topics but over-all i like it

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#9 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Giggity giggity.  We think it's funny at our house.  Our problem is DH tries to sneak watch it while the kids are around.  Our oldest is 7.  uh no, that's in no way appropriate. 

#10 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Ha!  I need to tune in again.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#11 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 AM

I don't like it either.  I just think it's stupid.  Dh finds it hilarious and according to our 8 year old, all of his friends have watched it. 

KempsMama likes this.
#12 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 AM

While I find the occasional bit humorous, I cannot get over the offensive bits or the just plain stupid bits.

Never the less, I still have to put up with DH waking me up saying "Have you heard? The BIRD is the WORD". 

~PurityLake~ likes this.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#13 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 AM

I think it is brilliant.

#14 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm ok with it. Dh LOVES it. I find some of it irritating and offensive but some parts are funny. I like Stewie and Brian a lot.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#15 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 AM

I find most of it either stupid, gross, or deeply offensive.  Occasionally there's something that will make me laugh, but mostly ... no.  DH LOVES it.  He also loves American Dad.  Whatever ... I really like both shows' theme songs. shrug.gif

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#16 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 AM

DH and I both love it, but then, we always joke about having really immature senses of humor. We both love South Park too. I hated it the first season it was on, but then later it grew on me. I do find some of it goes waaay too far though.

We haven't really watched it since DD started talking, though. Def not something for kids.

"Giggity" is a running joke in our house. As is, "So you've got something to LOOK at when you're talking to 'em."

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#17 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:

same here

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#18 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Noooooo!

Really?  That's just not right.

Damn, I clearly have been missing it too much.

We love the show.  As well as South Park.  American Dad is ok.  But since DS is usually around we don't really watch them anymore.

#19 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

Quote:

Noooooo!

Really?  That's just not right.

Yup, he switched drinks around the same time Seth MacFarlane switched drinks.

#20 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM

I find Family Guy rather offensive, but I can't really put my finger on why it more offensive than anything else on prime time tv.  I just can't stand it.  I hate feeling like a prude, and I'm the only person I know who can't watch that show.  I guess I continue to be surprised by it's popularity.

#21 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 AM

Another Family Guy lover here. :)  It definitely takes a certain kind of humor to get or like the jokes and I can't say that I have a particularly mature sense of humor so maybe that's it, either way... it cracks me up.

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

#22 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 AM

My dh and I both find it hilarious.  My 10 year old thinks we're mean because we won't let him watch and "ALL his friends do".  Sadly, I don't think he's exaggerating either.  I snort laugh at least once per show when I watch.

#23 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM

Eh...it's funny but definitely not as well-written as South Park. 

The sea monkey has my money.

#24 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM

We love it here.

In fact, last month when we gave DS a puppy for his birthday he fought hard to name him Brian. To the point of holding him up and saying in a growly dog voice,  "Hey, who's leg do I gotta hump to get a dry martini around here?"

#25 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 10:21 AM

we love family guy!  i can't imagine not finding it funny.   sure, it's highly offensive, but still hysterical!

#26 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 10:23 AM

I used to like it, but it's really just a one-joke show and that got really old after a while.  After the millionth joke that is supposed to be about the misogyny in our culture and on TV, it just becomes a plain old misogynistic joke.  I won't watch it anymore.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#27 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

While I find the occasional bit humorous, I cannot get over the offensive bits or the just plain stupid bits.

Never the less, I still have to put up with DH waking me up saying "Have you heard? The BIRD is the WORD". 

I love family guy, but if I ever have a chance to meet the writers I'll be doing something mean to them for that episode.

KempsMama likes this.
#28 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sometimes it's funny, but sometimes it's really offensive, and not in a humorous way, imo.  I don't think mocking stillbirth, for example, is ever funny.  And I really get tired of the "oh it's okay, it's a joke!" crap.  Well just because something is a "joke" doesn't mean it can't be cruel and hurtful, and it certainly doesn't make it okay to say.

~PurityLake~ likes this.
#29 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM

I love Family Guy!

One night, my friend crashed at my place. I woke up to him nose to nose with me, him singing "Bird, bird, bird! Bird is the word!" I responded coolly "I have a mammogram in the morning." He just lost it. ROTFLMAO.gif

My friends and I would always get together to watch cartoons, including Family Guy. I got it in my head that I wanted to recreate the 'Chicken Fight' scenes. So, my friend and I bought a chicken suit together. This was right after Halloween 2008. When the costume arrived in the mail we were so excited... until we opened it and discovered the mask was missing. This resulted in several hilarious phone calls back and forth with  the company we bought it from, us demanding the "chicken head" we paid for. Eventually we returned the chicken suit and went with a different company. It took a couple months, but we eventually got another chicken suit delivered. 

We were all set to start filming the "chicken fight" on a Sunday in late Feb/early March. I cleared it with a local business to film there. Friday night I had to work, and I had to work again on Saturday morning. My buddies were throwing a party at their house, but I skipped out since I didn't want to go to work tired and/or with a hangover. Unfortunately my friends got rather drunk that night. In their state of inebriation, they thought it was a grand idea to put on the chicken suit and practice play fighting. Being that they were drunk, inside, and one was wearing a fluffy costume, they decided to take the play fighting outside in their front lawn to cool off.

There they were, 3 of my buddies, drunk, beating up a giant chicken, at 2am, in a nice little family neighborhood. One of the guys decided to make it even more fun by pulling out ski masks and airsoft guns. That was NEVER part of the plan. Unfortunately for my friends and the party, a concerned citizen driving by called 911. Soon, my friends were surrounded by 10 cops with guns drawn on them. My buddies all got arrested (one still dressed in the chicken suit). They confiscated the chicken suit and we didn't get it back until last Christmas. 

So, our Family Guy chicken fight recreation resulted in about a thousand dollars in bail money, even more $$$ in legal fees, and my friends getting probation/ACDs, which required them to stay out of chicken costumes for 6 months. My friends and I had a hard time living that one down. It was all over the news, radio and newspapers. For awhile there we couldn't go anywhere without people "bawking" at us. We still love Family Guy, though. :D

Here's a link to the news story.

#30 of 64 Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
...which required them to stay out of chicken costumes for 6 months.

biglaugh.gif

We don't watch Family Guy, but I imagine I'd feel the same way about it as I do about South Park.  Shocking, laugh out loud funny, disgusting and reprehensible.  The Mormon episode of South Park is brilliant.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page