Can't wait for the season finale of 'Hoarders'!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Holy crap ,the rat guy.  Insane!  Also, did anyone else want to jump into the tv and freak out on the people from this week's show??

I really should stop watching though, it makes me freak and over-clean my house the next day LOL.

#2 of 8 Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM

The people from this week's show were especially strange. Super gross, I couldn't even watch.

(on a side note, so was this week's intervention. confused.gif)

#3 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM

The cat woman just made me crazy.. the most irritating part of that show, to me, is when people choose their hoard over their children.  I know it is a mental disorder, but if you get to keep your stuff, or keep your children, why on earth would you keep your stuff, especially if it is garbage??  And the people who completely refuse to toss anything, knowing that the county is going to take their house or they will get evicted or whatver.

I liked cat lady's father.  He was so cute, trying to be patient with her... I wanted to hug him.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#4 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Being the child of a hoarder that I can't help, I have to say that I truly dislike this show. I understand the fascination in watching it - trust me, I watched Tila Tequila - talk abouta train wreck so Im not judging you all that do.  Just saying I came across the post and felt compelled to respond.

The reason they choose the hoard over the kids is simple - its a medical and mental issue.  They don't mean it, they often don't even see it the way we do - like an aneroxic that looks in the mirrior and sees fat when we all look at the aneroxic and see a skeleton. 

As to why I don't like the show?  Well, its making money off of someones heartbreak.  And to me, that sucks.

#5 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Rani, thank you for shedding some light on the subject of people choosing stuff over their kids.  I find it very interesting and I am sometimes surprised I don't hoard.  I feel like I have the tendancy to hold onto things and I am not sure why, but then suddenly I throw EVERYTHING out and regret it. 

Hmmm.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#6 of 8 Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't care as much for the animal hoarding. The rabbit guy seemed just super lazy and borderline abusive to his wife.  I could hardly watch the rat fellow, even though he seemed very nice, I was squicked out.

As always, I have a flurry of housecleaning myself after I watch the show.

#7 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM

You know, I actually thought the man who had the rats was one of the more stable hoarders they have featured on the show. He seemed that he was able to care for them better than most of the cat/dog/rabbit hoarders are able to care for their animals. He also seemed to realize that he had a problem bigger than he was capable of solving. Just the fact that he no longer lived in the house with the rats shows that he has at least some good judgement left, despite his hoarding addiction. I really think that if he gets some closure with his wife's death he may be able to live a normal life. 

But when he was talking about the rats pulling out his hair for nesting material when he slept, I was totally creeped out.

The animal hoarders make the regular hoarders look SO tame. LOL 

#8 of 8 Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

Being the child of a hoarder that I can't help, I have to say that I truly dislike this show. I understand the fascination in watching it - trust me, I watched Tila Tequila - talk abouta train wreck so Im not judging you all that do.  Just saying I came across the post and felt compelled to respond.

The reason they choose the hoard over the kids is simple - its a medical and mental issue.  They don't mean it, they often don't even see it the way we do - like an aneroxic that looks in the mirrior and sees fat when we all look at the aneroxic and see a skeleton. 

As to why I don't like the show?  Well, its making money off of someones heartbreak.  And to me, that sucks.

I am sorry you have had to deal with this problem. My bf growing up also had a mother who was a hoarder.  In fact, this woman and one other I know personally both suffered still births. I think it's interesting how many women on this show have had similar experiences  didn't receive any help coping with the loss.

banana.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page