One Born Every Minute - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A series on Lifetime that just started. It's filmed at Riverside Hospital in Columbus, OH. Cameras are mounted in the L&D rooms, so there is no crew around to get in the way of the "action." Nurses' station was also filmed. Woah - fascinating view of the MEDICALIZATION of childbirth. It's just ASSUMED that every bit of birth will be assisted by technology, drugs...

Not that I didn't know this, as I gave birth at Riverside. But, wow - it's so PERVASIVE. It's the air they breathe, the water they drink. It's SO discouraging...and we're only 13 minutes into the show!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#2 of 34 Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 PM

I had to laugh a tiny bit, because seeng your post reminded me that I had wanted to see it.  And, as I turned it on was a couple being interviewed saying how they wanted a natural birth because more interventions complicate things and it's better for the baby. 

I haven't gotten to see much else though so I dunno, but that was just slightly ironic.

#3 of 34 Old 02-01-2011, 07:28 PM

I feel the same way so far! I just hope they don't make the natural couple out to look like lunatics. The previews looked that way. irked.gif

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#4 of 34 Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yup. The first natural birth they decide to show is going to end up a train wreck.

And the looks at the nurses' station are the same looks and expressions that were going on when I labored and delivered without drugs. Laughter, almost snide, eye-rolling. Actually, I think it's worse than when I was there. But, I had only a snippet of what was going on at the nurses' station, via DH.

Surprised they've let the natural couple go this far. But, she does have a midwife, not a doctor, right? They wouldn't LET me go without a(n external) monitor, not that it was working. My doula had to keep adjusting it to get a read, and the nurses weren't really following the readout anyway.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 34 Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

OK. It wasn't a train wreck. They just made it seem like it would be.

#6 of 34 Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 PM

I'm glad that she was able to have the labor she wanted! Thanks to her husband and doula and NO thanks to the nurses! That nurse made me so peeved!!!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#7 of 34 Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Holy moly!! That show is not going to be good for my blood pressure!! DH and I were sitting here watching with our jaws dropped to the floor.  The way they mocked the natural birth couple was unbelievable; kudos to them for being so strong against "Nurse Ratched".  She was dreadful, and I would have kicked her out of my room within minutes of meeting!

Oy! How frustrating... It is pretty much what I expected, but still shocking to watch...

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#8 of 34 Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Apparently, the natural-birthing couple sequence was worse before it was edited. I know someone who was involved in production. - looking forward to talking with them about it, now that I can. They were required to be quiet prior to it's debut last night. I'll keep watching for those reasons (having birthed at Riverside and knowing someone involved in making it), and because I am genuinely interested in what women's typical birthing experience is like in the medicalized childbirth community - what is considered 'typical' and expected by most. I like to think about points of intervention.

#9 of 34 Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 PM

This show is based on the UK one by the same name.  The differences are startling, they really are.  I can't believe how even the nurse who had 2 babies naturally seem to be just pushing interventions everywhere.  Jamie Lee Curtis has this tone to her narration when discussing people who don't want epidurals or intervention... I wonder if they told her to sound like that, or if she really feels the way she sounds?

I was surprised when they asked the 40 year old lady if she wanted the baby delivered onto her stomach/chest and she said "Oh, NO!".  I would have loved that to happen with my daughter...

Having watched about 7 episodes of the UK show when I was over there last, I can't wait to see how this one pans out as the series progresses.

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#10 of 34 Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Here is a link to the natural birth couple discussing the birth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Zfhd-Jw5o

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#11 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM

I can't get over how awful and infuriating the show was. They made it look like the couple that chose a natural birth were absolute morons. I thought the tone of the show was really disrespectful. I hope it gets canceled ASAP.

#12 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My husband and I watched this last night together. I did think it was ridiculous that the nurse had had two natural births but seemed to be combative with the natural birth couple.

It also was a bit weird on the subject of big babies that there was the nurse talking about watching who you reproduce with and big daddies or something like that.

And the lady that was clearly still feeling the IV pain relief getting the epidural seemingly moments before pushing out her baby and not wanting her child on her immediately - wow!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#13 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post
And the lady that was clearly still feeling the IV pain relief getting the epidural seemingly moments before pushing out her baby and not wanting her child on her immediately - wow!

Yes, didn't she say "I feel like I could push it out right now" and they told her to wait for her epidural?!!

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#14 of 34 Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaRiordan View Post
They made it look like the couple that chose a natural birth were absolute morons. I thought the tone of the show was really disrespectful. 

I know, right?  They made them look like the biggest bunch of wackos.  The whole show was just puke.gif

As a side note, Cheetos and pizza while she's in labor?  They do have a waiting room.

lather, rinse, repeat
#15 of 34 Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM

I dunno, maybe we weren't watching the same show or something.  I saw that nurse Susan wasn't not being nearly as combative as the father was.  I mean, he refused to allow her to check his wife, but it was ok for the midwife?  It didn't seem like the issue was with being checked, but with nurse Susan being the one doing the checking...why?  Now, I did see her comment about being dehydrated as kind of a sneaky implication that they should have given the momma an iv with fluids and I didn't like that.  But, the father and the doula seemed to be giving the mamma water out of those big cups with the straws rather regularly, so I dunno.  I did see that as weird.  And the person who suggested the pit, that was the midwife, not nurse Susan. 

Overall, I don't think they made the natural birth couple out to be morons at ALL.  In fact, I thought it was a great thing for everyone to see that birth without an epidural doesn't have to be that bad. 

And, not having my last child placed on my chest/belly right after birth, I was actually glad to see that someone said no to that (and kinda not happy to see that the staff did it anyway, though the mamma didn't seem to mind.) 

I dunno, I just didn't see the same things it seems others did.  Maybe I wasn't looking for them hard enough. 

#16 of 34 Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 PM

I agree about the depiction of the nurse--I didn't think she seemed that bad, and she truly did seem to feel conflicted and well intentioned.

That said, I agree with everyone else here, too--I found the show to be incredibly upsetting. Not only in the condescending assumption that anyone who doesn't want meds must be crazy, but also in the seemingly callous treatment of the young woman who was afraid of a c-section. Despite her fears and her expressed desire to avoid an epidural because she was afraid it would slow her down, the staff seemed completely indifferent and dismissive of her concerns. The snide remark about the size of the baby's father was upsetting, as was the fact that, despite Tasha's clear fear and desires to avoid certain interventions, the nurses still made remarks about big babies and other things that it seemed would exacerbate her fear. On top of that, her family members didn't seem to be doing anything to support her emotionally or physically, when she was clearly having a hard time. It seemed to me that Tasha is someone who did have strong preferences for her birth, but lacked the support and information she needed. As a result, she was really flailing, and not once did they depict anyone offering her love and encouragement (except the baby's father during the c-section). Even after the c-section, all the attention immediately went to the baby, despite the obvious fact that the mother had just been through emotional and physical trauma, and could have used some love. It seemed like she was devalued and abandoned by everyone in the room. And I have to wonder how much of it was a race thing on the part of the staff.

I'm due in April and I found myself starting to feel short of breath from anxiety watching the show. That said, my doula Jen is the one depicted on the show, and I am eager to get her perspective! Watching it has raised a lot of questions for me about what staff is really like (luckily, I'm not delivering at Riverside) and how common the natural birth couple's experience was. I'm looking forward to having Jen as a support person during my labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

I dunno, maybe we weren't watching the same show or something.  I saw that nurse Susan wasn't not being nearly as combative as the father was.  I mean, he refused to allow her to check his wife, but it was ok for the midwife?  It didn't seem like the issue was with being checked, but with nurse Susan being the one doing the checking...why?  Now, I did see her comment about being dehydrated as kind of a sneaky implication that they should have given the momma an iv with fluids and I didn't like that.  But, the father and the doula seemed to be giving the mamma water out of those big cups with the straws rather regularly, so I dunno.  I did see that as weird.  And the person who suggested the pit, that was the midwife, not nurse Susan. 

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#17 of 34 Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Overall, I don't think they made the natural birth couple out to be morons at ALL.  In fact, I thought it was a great thing for everyone to see that birth without an epidural doesn't have to be that bad. 

But when you cut to the nurses station and they're all rolling their eyes as mom vocalizes and then add in the snide remark about a long birth plan being the sign of an inflexible couple plus the narration that expounds on the fact that mom is still in labor after 12 hours (horrors, gasp) the average person is going to conclude that this family is weird/wrong/wacko/whatever.  And while it does show that natural childbirth is possible, it implies that only those type of people would attempt one.  There was a not so subtle message that to be a good little girl you must do what you are told and please don't get in the way of the big important work that the nurses and doctors are doing.  The older mom having her second child was absolutely painted as the good patient while the other two moms who did not want an epidural were painted as bad patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78

That said, I agree with everyone else here, too--I found the show to be incredibly upsetting. Not only in the condescending assumption that anyone who doesn't want meds must be crazy, but also in the seemingly callous treatment of the young woman who was afraid of a c-section. Despite her fears and her expressed desire to avoid an epidural because she was afraid it would slow her down, the staff seemed completely indifferent and dismissive of her concerns. The snide remark about the size of the baby's father was upsetting, as was the fact that, despite Tasha's clear fear and desires to avoid certain interventions, the nurses still made remarks about big babies and other things that it seemed would exacerbate her fear. On top of that, her family members didn't seem to be doing anything to support her emotionally or physically, when she was clearly having a hard time. It seemed to me that Tasha is someone who did have strong preferences for her birth, but lacked the support and information she needed. As a result, she was really flailing, and not once did they depict anyone offering her love and encouragement (except the baby's father during the c-section). Even after the c-section, all the attention immediately went to the baby, despite the obvious fact that the mother had just been through emotional and physical trauma, and could have used some love. It seemed like she was devalued and abandoned by everyone in the room. And I have to wonder how much of it was a race thing on the part of the staff.

That was truly the most heartbreaking aspect of the show.  There was not even one person in that room that believed Tasha was capable of having a natural birth.  I kept imagining what her birth would have looked like if she was surrounded by supportive people.  Heck, she would have probably been able to do it if she had just been left alone.  Any mom who is able to talk on the phone during labor WHILE having her cervix checked is a rockstar in my book.

Owen'nZoe likes this.

lather, rinse, repeat
#18 of 34 Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM

I refuse to watch this show.

I hope everyone who is upset by this show has emailed/contacted the tv station and told them.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#19 of 34 Old 02-08-2011, 05:54 PM

I didn't get through all the responses, but I started watching the first episode on hulu.  I'm already getting mad...I don't know if I'll be able to watch the whole thing!

Mama to three

#20 of 34 Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post

Here is a link to the natural birth couple discussing the birth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Zfhd-Jw5o

It was removed :(

Mama to three

#21 of 34 Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM

I watched most of this episode yesterday (I had to turn it off when my SO came home because he's not into birth shows :P ). I thought it was really awful. The nurse for the woman who ended up with the c-section seemed really rude and disrespectful right off the bat when she was asking about dilation. I got the impression that everyone who came into that room was being really derisive. I felt so bad for that mama.

The producers of the show obviously have a very low opinion of natural birth, but I don't really believe that all those sideways glances and grins were really a reaction to the natural birth couple's vocalizations. It seemed like really hokey editing to me. I think their nurse had all of the best intentions, but she did say she's been in nursing for something like 17 years, so I think medicalized birth is really all she knows so there was a huge communication barrier between her and the doula and the birthing couple. Would I want her as my nurse in that situation? No. But I wouldn't call her a Nurse Ratched, because I think she was coming from a genuinely well-meaning place.

The dental hygenist saying "You wouldn't get your tooth pulled without anesthetic, why would you have a baby that way?" Ugh. You really think of your baby as a tooth? Are you going to toss it into a biomedical waste bin afterwards too, then?

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
#22 of 34 Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

I agree about the depiction of the nurse--I didn't think she seemed that bad, and she truly did seem to feel conflicted and well intentioned.

I'm due in April and I found myself starting to feel short of breath from anxiety watching the show. That said, my doula Jen is the one depicted on the show, and I am eager to get her perspective! Watching it has raised a lot of questions for me about what staff is really like (luckily, I'm not delivering at Riverside) and how common the natural birth couple's experience was. I'm looking forward to having Jen as a support person during my labor.

I highlighted the bolded statements, because I think this was a very accurate description of the nurse/staff at Riverside. They talked about me at the nurses' station, and I could imagine them rolling their eyes during my very vocal 6 hours of labor, just the way they rolled their eyes on the show. They may be indicative of medicalized births everywhere and typical human behaviors in a work environment. And I think that is important for all to see. I'm glad they don't edit those parts out. For a critical viewer, they are very telling about the environment in which most women labor and birth today.

Glad to see you have doula support and are able to give birth at a hospital where they might be more supportive of natural birth (Grant and St. Ann's are two that are better than Riverside in that respect, I've heard.).

#23 of 34 Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM

My insurance only covers OSU :( But from what I hear, that's better than Riverside--several people have told me they had great natural birth experiences there, and my doula says in her opinion my doctors (it's a practice of two) are good ones.

I agree w/the PP about the nurses' eye-rolling at the vocalizations seeming to be more a product of hokey editing, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

Glad to see you have doula support and are able to give birth at a hospital where they might be more supportive of natural birth (Grant and St. Ann's are two that are better than Riverside in that respect, I've heard.).

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#24 of 34 Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Those hippie freaks and their 'natural childbirth'  eyesroll.gif

Defiantly won't watch this show again... 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#25 of 34 Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 AM

My future mother in law wanted my fiance and I to watch this show....fortunately I think she forgot when it premiered and we've luckily missed it! We had no intentions of watching it anyway, we were pretty sure we'd be infuriated by it. 

#26 of 34 Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM

you guys should check this blog out http://thefeministbreeder.com/lifetime-tv-shows-theres-one-unnecessary-intervention-born-every-minute/

she also has an interview with the mother that had the NCB in the show. 

#27 of 34 Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbledumpster View Post

The producers of the show obviously have a very low opinion of natural birth, but I don't really believe that all those sideways glances and grins were really a reaction to the natural birth couple's vocalizations. It seemed like really hokey editing to me. I think their nurse had all of the best intentions, but she did say she's been in nursing for something like 17 years, so I think medicalized birth is really all she knows so there was a huge communication barrier between her and the doula and the birthing couple. Would I want her as my nurse in that situation? No. But I wouldn't call her a Nurse Ratched, because I think she was coming from a genuinely well-meaning place.

The dental hygenist saying "You wouldn't get your tooth pulled without anesthetic, why would you have a baby that way?" Ugh. You really think of your baby as a tooth? Are you going to toss it into a biomedical waste bin afterwards too, then?

I completely agree with you about the nurse for the natural couple.  She even said she doesn't have the "intuition" about the baby and that's why monitoring makes her feel more comfortable.

Also on the dental part - Childbirth is a natural part of our existence, our bodies are made to do it.  Pulling teeth is not a natural progression in our lives.  So using medicine for that is totally different.  (Although if you think about children's baby teeth falling out, they don't use medicine for that because it is also natural)

Mama to three

#28 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM

I'm watching this right now for the first time and I'm getting pretty irritated!

-I think it is really rude the way the nurses are talking about the teenage couple.

-I loved the "after six hours she is still not complete" quote by Jamile Lee Curtis.

-The joking mom when she was sitting up for her epidural the nurse warned her before she sat up that moving makes the pain worse.

-The csection at the beginning was really vague right? There was no reason really given why she was having one, but then during it the Dr said, "Thank God for csections" Did anyone gather what was so wrong before or during the operation? I didn't get what was going on. I was getting queasy watching them rip at her stomach though puke.gif

-My heart was breaking for the joking woman when her epidural quit working and she had no tools to manage her pain. Then the staff was totally unhelpful! She's totally panicking and the nurse just stands there on the computer! And can you imagine having to wait for permission to push when everything in her body is screaming at her to push?

Ugh. All of that being said, I bawled when each baby was born. shy.gif

#29 of 34 Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

I'm watching this right now for the first time and I'm getting pretty irritated!

-I think it is really rude the way the nurses are talking about the teenage couple.

-I loved the "after six hours she is still not complete" quote by Jamile Lee Curtis.

-The joking mom when she was sitting up for her epidural the nurse warned her before she sat up that moving makes the pain worse.

-The csection at the beginning was really vague right? There was no reason really given why she was having one, but then during it the Dr said, "Thank God for csections" Did anyone gather what was so wrong before or during the operation? I didn't get what was going on. I was getting queasy watching them rip at her stomach though puke.gif

-My heart was breaking for the joking woman when her epidural quit working and she had no tools to manage her pain. Then the staff was totally unhelpful! She's totally panicking and the nurse just stands there on the computer! And can you imagine having to wait for permission to push when everything in her body is screaming at her to push?

Ugh. All of that being said, I bawled when each baby was born. shy.gif

I watched this episode last night.  I think she had a c-section to "avoid the pain". 

I also felt bad when the epidural wore off and she was stuck on her back...yikes.

I also thought it was interesting when the teen mom was complete and they sat her up for 45 minutes to help the baby travel down before she could start pushing.  Based on my two birth experiences I I really cannot comprehend not pushing when my body is ready to push.  Because of the epidural does she really not feel an urge to push and her body doesn't do it on it's own?  With my first I pushed during a contraction without even knowing it was going to happen.  After feeling that there is NO way I would not be able to push when my body want to push. 

I really don't care for the tone of Jamie Lee Curtis in any episode.  It's disappointing.

Mama to three

#30 of 34 Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM

I'm generally pissed at Jamie Lee Curtis for condoning this show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

I watched this episode last night.  I think she had a c-section to "avoid the pain". 

I also felt bad when the epidural wore off and she was stuck on her back...yikes.

I also thought it was interesting when the teen mom was complete and they sat her up for 45 minutes to help the baby travel down before she could start pushing.  Based on my two birth experiences I I really cannot comprehend not pushing when my body is ready to push.  Because of the epidural does she really not feel an urge to push and her body doesn't do it on it's own?  With my first I pushed during a contraction without even knowing it was going to happen.  After feeling that there is NO way I would not be able to push when my body want to push. 

I really don't care for the tone of Jamie Lee Curtis in any episode.  It's disappointing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page