Anyone willing to admit you like Star Trek? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2002, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Funny, I never thought about TOS being more cerebral, although if you focus on Spock, perhaps it is. It seems to me that the main object of most episodes was for Kirk to hook up with the hot alien chick of the week--so "juicier" is an apt description. I agree that the characters on TOS are more appealing. I always liked Chekov and Scotty. TOS was funnier. TNG seemed to take itself more seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2002, 04:31 PM

I would agree that TOS was more cerebral. They were also much more cutting edge for their time. They were able to deal with social issues like racism, war & peace and prejudice in a way that other shows were not because everything was couched in "outer space" terms. I have a lot of respect for that reason. I also agree that TNG takes itself more seriously. There was a constant undercurrent of comedy in TOS which is lacking in TNG. But I think the Borg are one of the best bad guys ever dreamed up.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 05-26-2002, 02:23 PM

Agreed about the Borg, but I think "The Founders" Vs the worm hole have a pretty interesting dynamic.

a

The anti-Ezzo king
Old 05-27-2002, 02:35 AM

TNG is lacking the humor of the original series and DSN seems to not have found it's self; a little disjointed, I think.
The original series is by far the more cerebral, witty, and thought provoking. Not to mention that William Shatner is completely amazing as Capt. Kirk.... the man is a genius!
Old 05-27-2002, 03:25 AM

Joining this thread a little late, but count me in. I have to go against the grain a little here--I love Voyager! But I was TNG fan while in college. I drooled over Warf and Captain Picard. The pickin's are slim on Voyager but I have a soft spot for Chakotay even though he's a bit cheesy. I have to admit--I think Harry Kim and Neelix would make good AP dads! I can't get into DS9 though.
Star Trek is the reason I haven't seriously pursued the idea of getting rid of the t.v.!
No cardboard cutouts or babyrompers here, but we do have several tapes of the Voyager Marathon (labeled cryptically by dh, it tooks me weeks to figure out what VOGERMA was).
Old 05-27-2002, 03:42 AM

Hel-LO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All this talk about Picard, how about the delectable Capt Archer? Scott Bakula has been my biggest crush since the days of Quantum Leap (those eyes...). I was very excited to see Dean Stockwell in a guest role a few weeks ago. I'm quite enjoying this series, the rest I have really watched since the original Star Trek.. (and I admit that I also used to have a crush on Shatner, but those Priceline commercials put me right off..)
Old 05-27-2002, 04:43 PM

My dh and I love Star Trek and all the movies. We like all the series, but nothing was as fun as Next Generation and Q!
We like to make up stories about what Weslie is doing(remember the Dr's son, he left to be like a Q)
Stacey
Old 05-28-2002, 01:35 PM

Ah yes...Q....what a wonderful concept!
Old 05-28-2002, 03:00 PM
Banned

Oh, c'mon, stacysmom, Wesley is the Jar-Jar of Star Trek.

I sort of imagine him marooned in the delta quadrent or something LOL.

DB
Old 05-28-2002, 09:41 PM

Poor Wesley. I never thought he deserved the abuse heaped on him. What happened to him in the storyline, anyway? I lost him after he went to Starfleet Academy. Did I miss something?

- Amy

User Tag List