food revolution season 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-16-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone watching?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Oooooohkay I like Jamie Oliver and really liked some of his other shows including Food Revolution 1. I believe he is passionate about improving school meals for kids. He has been a leader for this in his own country for a while now.

I watched the kick off episode for Food Revolution 2 but I didn’t like it. It is too “reality TV” for me. The first season he was working with a School District. I am sure the fact they were dubbed “Americas unhealthiest city” was incentive enough to agree to a TV show. So the focus of the show was making changes in real schools and in the community.

This new season he doesn’t have any agreement with the LASD. It feels like it’s more about him getting all Michael Moore on a Corporation LOL  The scenes with him doing the fat demo in the parking lot, trying to talk to LASD and then working with the local burger joint – all felt too disconnected from the greater vision. The demo about the ground beef was good and eye opening.

It was very sad when I saw the kids school meals were no fresh foods, microwave meals and cheap pastries. It’s clear part of it is a budge issue where decisions are made between school lunchs or teachers. That is a reality here in states. I do think real change can happen when parents are informed and can raise an opinion of their own…. And ask for change.

But with Jamie’s wife asking him not to get arrested…. That is too expose' for me LOL

Rhianna

#3 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

We don't watch TV, but from what my friend was telling me I'm mad. If the school does not want him to see what they are giving the students my question is WHY? What are they hidding????? Why are they stonewalling him? Can the parents see the school kitchen? If not why? I AM SO SICK OF THE GOVERMENT TELLING ME HOW TO RUN MY LIFE. AND HOW TO RAISE MY CHILDREN!!!!!!

#4 of 20 Old 04-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

We don't watch TV, but from what my friend was telling me I'm mad. If the school does not want him to see what they are giving the students my question is WHY? What are they hidding????? Why are they stonewalling him? Can the parents see the school kitchen? If not why? I AM SO SICK OF THE GOVERMENT TELLING ME HOW TO RUN MY LIFE. AND HOW TO RAISE MY CHILDREN!!!!!!

From the episode i watched... the food is no longer made in each school's kitchen. Instead the food is made in one central kitchen for the school district and delivered to each school. The food was little TV dinner style meals that were microwaved before eaten. Or pastries wrapped in plastic bags. Yes it was sad. I am sure the parents are well aware that the food is highly processed and microwaved heated.

However, Jamie Oliver is a celebrity chef from another country who shows up with cameras. The school district seems to have declined wanting to be on the show. Jamie went to a public to board meeting and waited for the public speaking time and asked to see the Kitchen. They said he could meet *right then* with the Food Services manager who was conveniently sitting in the audience. I am guessing they knew Jamie would show up. However, when Jamie went to meet him, he was whisked away and the meeting never happened. It was ridiculous for sure.

However :-) I am not entirely sure if the end result is to change the school districts meal planning and menu, showing up a celebrity chef and cameras is the best way to do it. If Jamie can successfully educate the parents to ban together and demand change on a local level that would be great!

One thing I have learned from Jamie's shows is that school lunches are of higher quality in other countries, mostly because higher government spending is afforded to them.

My only real complaint is that this is a Ryan Seacrest production and seems to be aimed at entertainment/shock value not bringing real change to school meals.

Rhianna

#5 of 20 Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

OH!!!! Still I wish that things would get better.

#6 of 20 Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I had the same concerns as most people after the first episode, but I like the second much better.
I love that he got into that culinary arts program. That is reminiscent of the first season.

And I love that he got Dino to let him put some good stuff on the fast food menu, without totally taking over the whole menu and taking choice away from the customers. It was sad when Dino said something like I know my customers, I know that they are more concerned with quantity and value and less concerned with quality. But at least this way, those who would rather eat traditional fast food can, and there is a better option for people who are concerned with quality. I am very intrigued by the idea of pinto beans on a burger! All you can really offer is the option to eat good food. If people don't want to take it, that is there business, but its great to give them options!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#7 of 20 Old 04-23-2011, 11:37 AM

I adore Jamie Oliver after last season.. I'm interested to see how things happen in LA because I feel like what goes on in the LA school district is a lot like the school districts I am used to. I am trying to ignore the fact that it's a Seacrest production and first episode he's on Seacrest's show... it seemed a little hokey. But I think his heart is in the right place soI let it go.

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#8 of 20 Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I am totally with him that most school lunches are junk (we live in a really good district but having looked at the current menu, I'll be sending my daughter's lunch next year.  It would be like giving her fast food every single day!) but the first season was so staged and hokey, I just can't watch.  As much as I do believe he's actually passionate about this issue, it's too STAGED FOR MAX DRAMA FACTOR for me.  You know that feeling you get when you're embarrassed FOR someone on tv?  That's how I felt for the whole first season.

#9 of 20 Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 AM

I'm watching and I love this show.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#10 of 20 Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM

We were watching - I just saw that the third episode wont air until June 3 and has switched from Tue to Fri at 9, is that right?

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#11 of 20 Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 AM

i was going to ask the same thing - there have only been 2 episodes, right?

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#12 of 20 Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I think it was back on last night. anyone see it?

#13 of 20 Old 05-28-2011, 09:38 PM

No! Stupid DVR didn't record it!

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#14 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 11:37 AM

the third episode will be on june 3rd :)

#15 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I really liked last season and this one is a big let down. Since he's not allowed access to the schools he's focusing too much on things that really won't have a big effect. His "Jamie's Kitchen" (or whatever it's called, is located in a place that's not really accessible to less affluent families and he was really forcing himself on that business owner. I'm in favor of healthy items being added to menus but some people really want to go all out when they are eating fast food.

I did read that changes have been made to the food in the LAUSD but I don't remember what.

#16 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM

the reason they stopped filming was because of the brick wall he was coming up against. I think all the changes will be addressed in the third episode

#17 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 PM

I really love Jamie Oliver and this show and I am also glad they are moving it to Friday nights...

#18 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM

I'm really excited to see where this season is going to go.

This is off topic but worth mentioning... Jamie at Home. I have never been a big fan of Jamie Oliver. I liked what he was doing with Food Revolution but I found him a bit annoying. Anyway, I've been watching Jamie at Home because the cooking channel was a free preview for us this month. I really like that show. Everything is fresh from the garden, real food and rustic. He has definitely won me over due to that show. thumbsup.gif I also think it's pretty cool that he makes mistakes and in one episode trips and falls flat on his face but leaves all of that in the show. So many other TV chefs would have edited those out.

#19 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 PM

GardenStream, I don't have cable but I like the sound of Jamie At Home from the way you have described it,  do you know if it's available on dvd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStream View Post

I'm really excited to see where this season is going to go.

This is off topic but worth mentioning... Jamie at Home. I have never been a big fan of Jamie Oliver. I liked what he was doing with Food Revolution but I found him a bit annoying. Anyway, I've been watching Jamie at Home because the cooking channel was a free preview for us this month. I really like that show. Everything is fresh from the garden, real food and rustic. He has definitely won me over due to that show. thumbsup.gif I also think it's pretty cool that he makes mistakes and in one episode trips and falls flat on his face but leaves all of that in the show. So many other TV chefs would have edited those out.

#20 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post

GardenStream, I don't have cable but I like the sound of Jamie At Home from the way you have described it,  do you know if it's available on dvd?

yes, you can buy it. There are some clips on youtube so you can get an idea of what it's like. There are 2 seasons of the shows and after reading through the list I realize that I haven't seen at least half of them. The wikipedia page has a lot more information about it and I learned some things after reading that. Now you have me wanting it on DVD too.

He also has a cookbook based on the recipes from the show and it's titled Jamie At Home. I've already reserved it at my library and I can't wait to get it! I have a feeling I'll be buying that book eventually.

Tags
Traditional Foods

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page