LOST: Final season/episode (really? They "explained" everything?") - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know this is kind of belated but, was anyone else left kind of more confused than before? I guess they explained some history of the island, but not really. And ending with the whole "we're all dead" thing -- wasn't that a little too easy? And when exactly were they all dead? When the plane first crashed? Later after some of them finally made it back in the end (did they?)? I guess that "we're all dead and now everything's okay" ending seemed like a cop-out. As someone who absolutely loved the series and was never frustrated with the mystery of it, I found the finale kind of disappointing.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#2 of 19 Old 04-24-2011, 06:38 AM

yeah me too. I lived with the frustration of not knowing what was going on because I had faith that they would eventually illuminate us. not so much. I was totally let down by the final season. I was a total lostie for so many years and that last season was just not great.
I can't remember now when they were all supposed to have died. Thats how much of a cop-out the ending was- I can't even remember what it was supposed to be!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#3 of 19 Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well maybe someone can come explain it for us. lol Hopefully someone knows. I just thought it was such a fresh, mysterious, and inventive show. It's too bad the ending didn't live up to the rest of it. :(

#4 of 19 Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM

yup! HATED the ending! I just couldn't believe they'd leave us hanging like that.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#5 of 19 Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. lol

So, does anyone know what actually happened???

#6 of 19 Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 PM

subbing

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#7 of 19 Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM

I could have explained why I thought it was great a year ago when the finale aired.  Not so much twelve months later.  Lots of tv watching since then.  winky.gif

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#8 of 19 Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 PM

Just want to say that I totally agree here! I can't believe they copped out so hard. I wanted to know about the temple and how the polar bear wheel worked and whether Daniel Faraday was going to get to be with his love or not . . . and why did they make James and Faraday's lady get together only for him to blow it over her looking at the book? Too many loose ends, I was really unsatisfied!

Happy and in love with my family!
#9 of 19 Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 PM

After the X-Files ended and left me with no answers, I swore I would never become involved in a TV show like that again.   Then Lost came and I couldn't help myself.  And then the ending.  I felt so ripped off, so cheated and I felt like a fool for getting involved in a TV show again.  I hated the so-called ending and wish I never started watching the show to begin with.

#10 of 19 Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandasMom View Post

After the X-Files ended and left me with no answers, I swore I would never become involved in a TV show like that again.   Then Lost came and I couldn't help myself.  And then the ending.  I felt so ripped off, so cheated and I felt like a fool for getting involved in a TV show again.  I hated the so-called ending and wish I never started watching the show to begin with.

I'm so with you.  Both started out awesome and ended lame.  I think the key on a show like this is to have a set number of seasons before it even begins.  That way the writers can flesh out the show, give it a beginning middle and end, and not have to pull stuff out of thin air when the series gets picked up again and again.  I'd rather have 4 good solid seasons than a couple of good ones followed by mediocre and then lame ones.

I do remember that after the finale of Lost I had to look on the internet to get even an inkling of understanding as to what it was all supposed to mean.  

lather, rinse, repeat
#11 of 19 Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Here is my crappy and scrappy post 12 months recap, sorta explanation of the show.

First, they left TONS of loose ends that I cannot explain, because they never intended to explain em.

So the Island was real. Everything that happened on the Island was real. If you died there, you died. If you escaped and were rescued and later returned – that happened. If you never escaped like Hurley and Ben you lived there.

The Island had some huge magnetic thing going on. It attracted a lot of people with different agenda over the years. They didn’t get along well. The Protector of the Islands special powers ended up being Jacob; with his black smoke brother in tow; attempting to get off the Island. The Islands powers caused all sorts of problems for airplanes, etc… There was eventually protective force field made to enclose it and keep it safe from discovery…. The ability to time travel to and from the Island was one of the perks too.

Things went boom and force field turned off. LOSTies landed. Force field was turned back on.

Then things get “mystical” with the last season….

The alternate universe was not real. (I wished it was the real universe myself) It was a place the LOSTies agreed to meet inbetween reality and “the other side/heaven” that many of us call Pergatory but the Producers claimed they wouldn’t use that in the show. Rrrrrright.

The LOSTies go to this place when they die, whenever that happens in the reality. I believe we are seeing them towards the end, when everyone is there. Slowly they start to recognize each other and remember their Earth/Island life. It takes some extreme circumstances for some and people like Hurley and Desmond are aiding in that remembering. We were seeing glimpses into the alternate place through Desmond during the show, when he’d switch over to it.

So at the very end, there they were all ready to say good bye and move on, except Ben. He was not ready.

And at the very very end, with Jack dying in the last scene. The whole show was really ultimately about him and his personal quest.

Me? I felt the warm fuzzies when the LOSTies said good bye but I was totally disappointed in the vague ending and many loose ends. I would rather it all been a dream and they went on to live better lives in reality.

Koalamom, BeckyBird and cocoanib like this.
#12 of 19 Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Oh ditto. I loved the show and still appreciate it. But the ending? Not so much. I felt totally let down. Mostly the whole them being dead in the alternate reality thing.

I agree with what Rhianna says. And I think a lot of stuff is open to our own interpretation.

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#13 of 19 Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that! That's kind of what I was thinking but then it feels like, overall, what was tehe *point*? Why have all this magical and time travel stuff if he's just going to die? What was the point of saving the island? Evil would've been let loose upon the world. The world already has evil. I don't get it! lol

#14 of 19 Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Rhianna summed it up pretty well. 

Hurley and Ben STAYED on the island to become it's protectors for a very, very long time. (thousand years?). I also feel like the "protectors"/Jacob could BRING people to the island. 

The last episode frustrated the heck out of me. It was so very interesting, but it was like a complete 180 from the rest of it! All of a sudden, the whole focus of the show (the island, getting off of it etc) didn't matter at all. At all. I liked the ending, I found it very touching (ok, ok, I sobbed my way through it multiple times) but it did leave many questions unanswered. I think that was sort of the point. 

Someday I might go back and watch it from the beginning. It was one of my favourite shows ever. How many nights did I spend glued to the tv, watching every second of it, looking for hints/clues just to go ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! when each episode ended.... then running to the computer to see what all the nerdy types said it all meant (I never did pick up on all the clues while watching!). I cried through so many episodes. The hand with "Not Penny's boat!" and Charlie drowning... brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it. 

As crazy as it got, I loved this show. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#15 of 19 Old 05-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:

As crazy as it got, I loved this show. 

I still think about the show and that ending... and everything about it :)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#16 of 19 Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

I always considered it the best TV series of all time. After the ending I wasn't sure anymore though. Really, it was the most unique, intersting, mysterious show I had/and still possibly have ever seen. It's too bad they couldn't have gone out with a bang.

#17 of 19 Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 AM

Knowing the ending, I wouldn't watch the show again, but I would totally recommend it to others and not tell them they will be let down at the end as it was so worth watching it every week and it was one of the best times that dh and I bonded. Lost brought us together, cheesy I know, but true.

The ending was horrible but great. Of course all the island stuff was real and all the happy meeting in the alternate world wasn't real, Oh but was it... I would like to think so as I cried all the way through the finale.

My local video store is going out of business and is selling each season of DVD's for $5 a piece. Not sure if this is something I would want to own? What do you guys think? Waste or investment?
#18 of 19 Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Buy them!!!

lismcc likes this.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#19 of 19 Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I agree! Buy them!

Tags
Saving The Lost Children , Oops I Lost My Sense Of Humor , Lost Cities

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page