No Woman No Cry - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone see this on the Oprah Network over the weekend?  I was really disapointed - i hope im not not being overly judgmental - but it seemed like Christy Turlington hit upon many topics that need to be looked at further - but missed SO many others!   She interviewed a woman who had to walk 5 miles to a clinic - she was in labor for an undisclosed period of time - the midwives at the clinic thought she should go to the hospital - 30 miles away   - so the documentary crew offered to bring her there....her diagnosis?  she was dehydrated and 'needed to be induced'   ??????  

another woman in Bangledesh wanted to have a homebirth and for no discernable reason she was being pressured by a home health aide to go to teh hospital....i mean, maybe the real story here should be ACCESS to a hospital when and IF laboring women WANT those services.  But the overall tone was like "this woman lives in a dirty little hovel and now she has have her baby here - poor poor poor woman!"  when in truth - even if your home is a dirty little hovel - chances are good you will still encounter more germs at your local hospital.   

Christy Turlington said she wanted to highlight how women are dying unecessarily - yet didnt mention how women in the US have a slightly increased chance of death after a C-Section than a natural delivery.  They interviewed a man who lost his wife to an Amniotic Embolism - and then didnt even mention what that was!  No mention of the reasons that go into the fact that America is only like 27th best in maternal care.....I wonder what number Bangladesh is? 

I dunno - im disapointed...anyone else??

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#2 of 2 Old 05-11-2011, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah I thought it sort of glazed over some big problems and I thought she was going to be focusing on pp hemorrhage since that's what she went though. 

When the woman from Bangledesh went to the hospital it looked like blood on the floor underneath where she was laying to get the ultrasound and they sort of focused on that and then her. 

Maybe if you didn't realize what a mess things were for a lot of women in regards to maternal health this might be a bit of a wake up call but I didn't see anything shocking.. sad, yes. 

Oh and they had this free and legit on YouTube this weekend, it still might be up if anyone wants to see it. 

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page