Downton Abbey! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Two Emmys!  One for Directing, Brian Percival, and one for Supporting Actress, Maggie Smith!  "What is a weekend?"

Boo! Hiss!  The season premier (tonight) is NOT available in the US!  irked.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#2 of 26 Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

expat shield 2whistle.gif

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#3 of 26 Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure what shield means. But my dear, dear husband found Downton Abbey to down load and we've been watching it that way. 

love.gif

#4 of 26 Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 PM

it's a program you can download that makes your IP look like it's in the UK

you can turn it on and off... perfect for watching sarah jane adventures, downton abbey, doctor who when we are a week or two off etc....

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#5 of 26 Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! Apparently that's what dh has been doing. He re-routes the ip address through some site in the UK and downloads the shows.

We have the latest Merlin, too!  :D

flminivanmama likes this.

#6 of 26 Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 AM

I am obsessed with this series!  I have to restrict my viewing to one show at a time so I can make it last.  The old lady is a hoot.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 26 Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Netflicks has the first season for streaming. Is the second season out yet? I'm patiently waiting for it to come out.

#8 of 26 Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 AM

I LOOVVEEE this show!  I am so excited for season 2.  I assume Netflix will be streaming it once the series in over in the UK.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#9 of 26 Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 AM

Just learned of this show a few weeks ago when the 1st seaon was reairing on PBS. LOOOVE IT!!! I am so adicted too (and so is DH which is a surprise). Season 2 airs next week! Woohoo!

I partly love the show for all the amazing dresses. Every time Mary walks in the room, I am like, " I want that dress!!" Not so sure about the pant dress though. Still the sister was beautiful in it.
#10 of 26 Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 PM

I have watched it all.  Drool, drool (I have addicted several people as well - they are all behind me in the series though, so I have to be careful not to spoil things for them).  It is one of the Lushest shows I have ever seen.

I had no trouble watching it (I am sure somewhat illegally) online - maybe it is a Commonwealth/Canada thing???

#11 of 26 Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM

We loved this series when it aired last year and didn't realize it was going to have seasons. We were SHOCKED when it ended so abruptly! We knew season two had already aired in the UK but we decided to wait since it would give us something to look forward to in those cold winter months! We can't wait!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#12 of 26 Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 PM

I am in the US and have finished watching season 2... via covert download :-) I really love the show! I also love that UK shows do Christmas specials.

#13 of 26 Old 01-04-2012, 04:48 AM

Season 2 is running on PBS currently.  I haven't seen it yet but I can't wait.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#14 of 26 Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

I am in the US and have finished watching season 2... via covert download :-) I really love the show! I also love that UK shows do Christmas specials.

Yes, indeed!  And I don't think it reveals too much to say that the Christmas special ran the gamut from heart breaking to gleeful.

#15 of 26 Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

Oh and there was a behind the scenes show too.... interviews with the cast, many shots of them filming, discussions of the charactors from the "scullery maid" Daisy up to Lord Grantham himself, and of course the incredible wardrobe. It was weird to see some of them not in costume and wearing regular hair styles and make up LOL

There was a funny bit with chauffer, Branson as they flash scene after scene of him working in the garage on the family car. He comments how he's almost never in the house or scenes with most of the other cast.

#16 of 26 Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM

Oooooh!  I can't wait for season 2 to start on PBS on Sunday!!  It is so soapy and lush!

Mama to the big girl 11/07 and the little dude 12/09.
Trying to find balance and understanding.
#17 of 26 Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 AM

I'm having Downton Abbey withdrawals!  MUST HAVE DOWNTON ABBEY.

DD and I decided to go back and re-watch all of it from the beginning.  But when I called up the PBS website, they had taken both season one and season two down.  Argh!

I want Mary and Matthew to be happy.  I want the disfigured cousin to come back and for Sybil to love him as he his (whether or not he is recognized as the heir).  I want Bates to go free and him and Anna to buy that hotel they talked about.

I want some of those dresses!  I want to figure out how they do the hairstyles - I have long hair, so does DD, we BOTH want to try it out.  I want this beautiful, lush series to influence fashion.

Must have Downton Abbey!

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#18 of 26 Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post

I'm having Downton Abbey withdrawals!  MUST HAVE DOWNTON ABBEY.

DD and I decided to go back and re-watch all of it from the beginning.  But when I called up the PBS website, they had taken both season one and season two down.  Argh!

I want Mary and Matthew to be happy.  I want the disfigured cousin to come back and for Sybil to love him as he his (whether or not he is recognized as the heir).  I want Bates to go free and him and Anna to buy that hotel they talked about.

I want some of those dresses!  I want to figure out how they do the hairstyles - I have long hair, so does DD, we BOTH want to try it out.  I want this beautiful, lush series to influence fashion.

Must have Downton Abbey!

My tiny library has it for loan.  Check your library - ask about inter branch or inter library loan if they do not have it.  

#19 of 26 Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Isn't the disfigured cousin's motives up for question?  That's the impression I had, anyway.  I hope Edith finds someone just right for her, disfigured or otherwise.  I just thought this guy was supposed to be sketchy.

#20 of 26 Old 03-14-2012, 06:51 AM

I think he's the real deal.  He had a small, distinctive, habitual gesture that Lord Grantham recognized, but didn't really pursue. 

The rest of the family (besides Edith) didn't think his motives were good.  But, as evidenced by his leaving, I don't think he was there for financial gain.

What is it with Edith and disfigured or handicaped men?  It seems her only prospects for marriage are all permanently injured.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#21 of 26 Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 AM

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I thought Sybil's husband was awful and that they had no chemistry. But, baby on the way, I guess that's that.

I hope the Burnt Patrick turns out to be Real Patrick ....Edith deserves her true love risen alive from the Titanic.

So glad about Mary and Matthew and that Carlisle is gone. But so sad about Bates being guilty of his wife's murder! Well, I guess we need something to get worked out in season 3!

I love this series so much and started it and watched them all in under 2 weeks. Gulp.
#22 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I like Sybil's husband, like the premise that he's Irish Independent, and what that means for their future together.  But I agree about the chemistry.  The writers never convinced me that either of these two people would like the other, except in the most obvious way.

Maggie Smith won't be back.  greensad.gif Or she's having herself written out of the story or something to that effect.  That's a real loss, she's one of the reasons I checked out the show to begin with. 

#23 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I like Sybil's husband, like the premise that he's Irish Independent, and what that means for their future together.  But I agree about the chemistry.  The writers never convinced me that either of these two people would like the other, except in the most obvious way.

I agree.  Their story line felt so forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Maggie Smith won't be back. greensad.gif Or she's having herself written out of the story or something to that effect. That's a real loss, she's one of the reasons I checked out the show to begin with.

Noooooo!  Her character totally cracks me up.

I am very much looking forward to season 3.

I recently read the book the seasons is based on and it was a disappointment. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#24 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

The writers never convinced me that either of these two people would like the other, except in the most obvious way.

Maggie Smith won't be back.  greensad.gif

That's what I meant, I thought that the whole thing of him just constantly working on a car and proclaiming himself to be obsessed with her didn't sound genuine OR seductive (& kind of odd and out of left field) & he wasn't that charming, relaxed etc as a person and it's hard to imagine Sybil running far off with him. No spark or anything happening much between them that seemed at all romantically charged.

Maggie Smith gone? D'rn it! Add me to the list or those who liked scenes with her in them the best!
#25 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad I checked!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/15/downton-abbey-maggie-smith-not-returning-season-4_n_1426759.html

Quote:
A representative for Masterpiece, which airs "Downton Abbey" in the US, told The Huffington Post that "Season 3 is currently filming with Maggie and the rest of the cast. We don't comment on future storylines, but there's no truth in the story that Maggie is leaving the show."

#26 of 26 Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 AM

Whew, what a relief!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page