new fall shows - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Checked out Once Upon a Time and definitely like it. Will be watching again. Still have not seen Grimm, but as others mentioned sounds very Buffy like. However, I think that plotline is probably used a lot, well beyond Buffy.

DH and are I watching a Canadian Showcase (not Showtime, eh) show called LostGirl. About a "succubus/fairy" who was raised by humans and didn't understand her powers. When she realized she was Fae, she refused to take alligence to the Light or Dark Fae. So she and her human side kick started a Detective agency to help humans and fae with Monster (Fae) of the Week type problems. Their motley crew includes a werewolf and siren who are both police detectives in human world.

Yeah, I know that there are a lot of concepts that get re-used, over and over again. There are lots of generic doctor shows or police procedurals or lawyer shows. I was just hoping for something a little more inventive and a little less of an obvious, shameless rip-off. When the aunt/mentor was identified as a librarian and our innocent hero started leafing through ancient texts, that's when I lost all hope. There are a lot of really good fairy tale re-tellings in novels these days. I suppose it was asking too much for a network to come up with something more creative. 

Aside from the badly warmed-over concept, the rest of the show was poorly done. It's supposed to be a police procedural and the hero is supposed to be an experienced homicide detective. Yet he repeatedly ignored basic police technique and engaged in all sorts of unlawful activity - illegal surveillance, illegal entry, illegal custody of a suspect, brutality. They shot a suspect in the back as he was running away. The writers obviously felt that if the audience bought into the idea that fairy tales are real and monsters walk amongst us, we were also gullible enough to believe that basic police work doesn't matter in a police procedural. Ugh.

The acting was pedestrian, the lead was not convincing, the writing was dull, and the story was nothing new.  The cinematography and sets were good (especially the werewolf's little cottage in the woods) but overall - meh. 

#32 of 45 Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Most of the time we give a show 1 pilot and 2 episodes before we ditch it.  We ditched Pan Am but obviously everyone thought it was terrible!  I didn't like that show but I think they're too quick to cancel stuff.

We will watch Grimm and Once Upon a Time.

We just started watching Terra Nova.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#33 of 45 Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM

We like Terra Nova but we usually get into sci-fi fantasy shows easily. The only I don't like and it's no fault of the show really, is that I was hoping it would be more family friendly. I have an almost 8 year and who LOVES dinosaurs and I was hoping for a show we can watch together. I would say the commericials showed lots of clips of dinosaurs, jungle and the family including a little girl. Sorta a new life for a nice family, with a prehistoric twist.

DH suggested we preview it, but I forgot when it first aired.... and DS started viewing it with me. Big mistake. The whole apocolyptic opening scene almost had him in tears. He was freaked out and I couldn't turn it off fast enough.

Now the other episodes havn't been so intense, but definitely violent, adult social/political power struggles and plenty of teen angst. Not what my kiddo wants to watch.

I will say I read a review of Terra Nova that supported what I had noticed. The commericials pushing a family show, when it reality it's a big budget sci-fi drama - which isn't bad at all :-)

Regarding LostGirl. It's pretty good. I like the Fae aspect and charactor chemistry. It's pertty light "drama" that doesn't bog down week to week. But ya know since the main charactors a succubus (feeds off human sexual energy/chi) it brings some interesting scenes into the plotline hehehehe PG 13 - R in language, nudity and sexuality. For adults but not TrueBlood softcore LOL

#34 of 45 Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

Regarding LostGirl. It's pretty good. I like the Fae aspect and charactor chemistry. It's pertty light "drama" that doesn't bog down week to week. But ya know since the main charactors a succubus (feeds off human sexual energy/chi) it brings some interesting scenes into the plotline hehehehe PG 13 - R in language, nudity and sexuality. For adults but not TrueBlood softcore LOL

Are you located in Canada?  If not, how/where are you watching it? 

#35 of 45 Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM

i've been watching Revenge not sure where its going tho, also loving Pan Am and Once upon a Time so far, would like to try and catch up on Terra Nova i love sci-fi 

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#36 of 45 Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post

Are you located in Canada?  If not, how/where are you watching it? 

I am in the US and we watch most shows... from uhhhhh *coughTorrentcough* that DH downloads. Shows just appear on the thumb drive we play on our TV and I just dont' ask where they come from... but sometimes the russian subtitles give it away LOL

#37 of 45 Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

DH and are I watching a Canadian Showcase (not Showtime, eh) show called LostGirl. About a "succubus/fairy" who was raised by humans and didn't understand her powers. When she realized she was Fae, she refused to take alligence to the Light or Dark Fae. So she and her human side kick started a Detective agency to help humans and fae with Monster (Fae) of the Week type problems. Their motley crew includes a werewolf and siren who are both police detectives in human world.

sounds like a series I was reading- I think it was called the Mercy Thompson series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mercedes_Thompson_Series

Did Pan Am get axed?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#38 of 45 Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm loving Once Upon A Time and American Horror Story is DH's new favorite. Grimm was interesting but I will see what the new episode tomorrow night is like before blocking out that time to watch it every Friday.

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#39 of 45 Old 11-04-2011, 05:04 AM

YES to American Horror Story! I'm catching up on the episodes while DD is at school 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#40 of 45 Old 11-04-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

Did Pan Am get axed?

Someone had told me it did but I can't find any evidence of that.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#41 of 45 Old 11-07-2011, 02:27 PM

I am really liking Once Upon a Time and the plotline is keeping things very interesting. Never a dull moment, but not difficult to follow. Watched Grimm and thought it was good. Both shows take HUGE liberities with classic fairytales but once you get passed that it's all ok.

DH really likes Grimm favours it to Once Upon a Time, but I like Upon a Time better :-)

#42 of 45 Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I tried Once Upon a Time but I missed the first few minutes of the first show, and I was extremely confused and turned it off after about 10 minutes. Glad to hear you say it isn't difficult to followI Maybe I'll try it again, and actually watch the beginning smile.gif

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#43 of 45 Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Partly inspired by this thread and partly because I can't resist stories that re-work fairy tales, I watched the first couple of episodes of Once Upon a Time. I definitely prefer it to Grimm. (Thank you internet downloading! It's so nice to catch up on shows rather than wait for re-runs or DVDs etc.) The story is more creative, the characters more interesting, it's harder to predict what will happen. I enjoyed the little inventive touches and trying to work out various fairy tale references. The acting is uneven and I think overall it's still a work in progress, but it was better than Grimm

#44 of 45 Old 11-08-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

I tried Once Upon a Time but I missed the first few minutes of the first show, and I was extremely confused and turned it off after about 10 minutes. Glad to hear you say it isn't difficult to followI Maybe I'll try it again, and actually watch the beginning smile.gif

I will say yes, the first part of the first show was actually very confusing. This is becuase there is a dual plotline going in two different stories/times. One is Fairytale land which sorta follows the Snow White story, but freely incorporates all fairytale charactors from any story into it. The other plotline is modern time with the same actors playing different charactors, plus some charactors that are not from Fairytale land.  The fairytale characters do not know who they are, in an amnesia kinda of way. That was a bit confusuing to me to too.

The plotlines in Fairytale land help explain how and why the characters are in modern time and who is who. And then in future episodes those scenes are used as backstories.

One of the best aspects of the show is seeing how the fairytale charactor's looks/traits comes through in modern times. The little inventive touches as Ollyoxenfree said...

#45 of 45 Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

We are watching New Girl, but my husband doesn't really care for it.  He likes Zooey Deschanel, but doesn't think the writing is very good and thinks its the same every show: Jess is being Jess, the guys say, "no no no, don't be Jess, we need you for something else" so she tries to do what they want, then the guys all feel bad and say, "it's OK, you can be Jess" then they all have a drink together.  

they are finally starting to break that pattern! I really like Justin Long as her boyfriend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page