Work of Art-Season 2-anyone watching? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I really like the show, but last night's episode totally frustrated me. If there are other watching, I'll post more!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#2 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I watched it.  Not sure if I am going to stick with it or not though.  I didn't agree with the judges choices for either the winner or the loser lol.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

I quite enjoyed Season 1, but this second episode of Season 2 left me baffled. I thought the winning piece was by far the worst (not just the worst of the winning team,  but worse than anything on the losing  team). And while the eliminated piece was not my favorite, I wouldn't have had it even in the bottom 3 of the losing team. plus, it seemed what the  judges liked about the winning piece were the same things they disliked about the losing piece. Baffled I was.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#4 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 PM

For the second episode, I agreed with the loser.  There were a lot of projects that were bad.  But she did just completely repeat her work from the previous episode.  And she seemed happy to leave.  So I almost wonder if she just gave up and kind of lost on purpose?

I am just baffled by the winner. :-/ His movie was just as dumb as the losers movie.  But I never have understood fine are all that much.  I just think that the people on the show are nice and that the projects are interesting, so I will keep watching for now.

#5 of 12 Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Any opinions on episode 3?  Or are we all over it? lol

#6 of 12 Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

For the second episode, I agreed with the loser.  There were a lot of projects that were bad.  But she did just completely repeat her work from the previous episode.  And she seemed happy to leave.  So I almost wonder if she just gave up and kind of lost on purpose?

I am just baffled by the winner. :-/ His movie was just as dumb as the losers movie.  But I never have understood fine are all that much.  I just think that the people on the show are nice and that the projects are interesting, so I will keep watching for now.

I too was totally baffled by the winning. I really disliked the video. As for the losing piece, I do agree that it was a repeat of the previous week's work, but I'm never clear if each week is judged on its own (in which case I thought the piece was bad, but not the worst) or judged cumulatively (in which case, I can see more why that piece was chosen as the losing piece). Either way, the artist with the losing piece seemed happy to leave; I hope she continues doing her art in an environment that makes her happier.

I think the people on the show are nice and I like that and I LOVE watching their creativity process and seeing what they come up with (even when the end products aren't the best).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

Any opinions on episode 3?  Or are we all over it? lol

Not over it all; I tivo'ed last night's episode and planned to watch it last night and then family and work stuff came up. I'll be back on this thread as soon as I've watched it!

#7 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

So I finally got to watch last week's episode and then I watched this week...and I am still perplexed by the judging! I'm enjoying watching the artist's process, but when it comes to the judging, I am confused. In last week's episode, I was surprised that Dusty (who made the trash can) and Michele (who made the Warhol-esque) piece did not go home and the winning piece was ok, but not exciting and original to me. Then in last night's episode, I thought Dusty's piece was fabulous and was shocked that it lost to a piece that I expected to be in the bottom. The bottom three pieces had issues, but there were aspects to all of them that I liked and there were other pieces that I thought were less connected to their counterpart child artist's pieces (e.g. Michele's) and less exciting (e.g. Lola's). So, I'm definitely enjoying the process and the creativity (even the pieces that don't quite work for me have aspects that are interesting), but the judging part...????

I loved seeing the children's artwork!!!!!!!!

#8 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm replying to my own post...LOL, but I've been thinking about this week's episode and the two pieces that are really sticking with me are Dusty's and Sara J's and Sarah's (the shadowbox).

And the more I think about Sara J's piece, the more I disagree with the judges. Yes, her piece had a darkness, but it was really moving and I think the difference in scale between her piece and her counterpart artist's piece I think added to the companionship of the pieces. The young artist's piece spoke of the almost larger-than-life experience of joy and life's pleasures whereas Sara's spoke of pain and an almost shrinking feeling that can come with feeling like your life is coming apart. Really, a pretty spectacular piece.

And then I went back and looked at what the other pieces were and the ones I would have put at the bottom were Michele's (interestingly made, but no connection to the counterpart's piece), Lola's (beautiful colors, but not memorable), and Bayette's (his counterpart's piece was way better; my choice for the losing piece).

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts!

#9 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Anyone caught up with this season?  I was sad about who went home last episode.  He was my favorite. :( But he sure did keep goofing up.  I wish he would have gotten one more chance though just for entertainment value if nothing else, but I suppose that wouldn't be fair lol.

#10 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM

My favorite won the finale!  Yay!

#11 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hi CrazyCatLady,

I'm intrigued. Why was Kimya your favorite? I was most disappointed in her final show, so I'd love to hear another perspective! smile.gif

#12 of 12 Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM

I have nothing intelligent to say on the matter really (again, I know nothing about art).  I just liked her and her stuff the most.  I was kind of over the deceased dad stuff and I learned from the show that I don't really care for performance art.  Kimya's stuff was kind of goth and just my taste.  Nothing really complicated or educated about it, just an opinion lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page