Top Chef 9!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starts Wed- can't wait!!!
Sounds like they are shaking it up a little- 29 chefs will start the competition and will be cut to 16 before the season actually starts- Sounds like Gordon Ramsay's show Master Chef. I don't know how I feel about that!
according to the Bravo website Emeril Legasse is a judge this season.. I have never watched his shows.. Is he still popular??

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#2 of 41 Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

according to the Bravo website Emeril Legasse is a judge this season.. I have never watched his shows.. Is he still popular??

No he isn't...and that is why he is judging a reality show now lol.

I can't wait!  Love me some Top Chef.  I've been tolerating the Just Desserts, while impatiently waiting for this season of "real" Top Chef to start.

I don't mind them starting off with so many contestants.  After so many seasons, why not try something new?

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 41 Old 10-28-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

No he isn't...and that is why he is judging a reality show now lol.

lol.gif
Quote:
I've been tolerating the Just Desserts, while impatiently waiting for this season of "real" Top Chef to start.
totally! Me too!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#4 of 41 Old 10-29-2011, 11:29 AM

i'm ready!!!!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#5 of 41 Old 11-01-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

SOOO close..
I still have to wait at least two days, because I watch online.. Anxious to hear what you all with cable think about the new season tomorrow!

#6 of 41 Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 PM

something happened to my cable box in the middle so I missed the end of the last group of 4...  also is the third group going next week with the people who were on the bubble? I'm a little confused lol

#7 of 41 Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I'm so glad it is back! I can't wait for this season to really get going!
yes the bubble group goes next week after the final group goes.

What an impressive group of people and resumes! I kind of love that the arrogant young guy went home immediately for not knowing how to butcher a pig. Tom was no joke with him! I already liked a few of the people who went home. I was dreading the format change but it wasn't as bad as I had hoped. I like that they broke them into groups with different challenges. I am glad to see Gail back in the savory world. smile.gif

#8 of 41 Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:

kind of love that the arrogant young guy went home immediately for not knowing how to butcher a pig. Tom was no joke with him!

Yes, that was one most incredulous looks Tom has ever given a contestant. And then the "Just leave now." Definitely no joke!

Quote:

I was dreading the format change but it wasn't as bad as I had hoped. I like that they broke them into groups with different challenges.

I was dreading it too, but I thought the group format worked well. The bubble group next week should be interesting, especially since the contestants don't know how many slots are left.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#9 of 41 Old 11-12-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

So all in all, I think they should just go back to starting right away with the main competition. I don't think those two shows really added much. I hope those don't count against the total number of actual episodes this season!

I think I like the last chance kitchen thing. seems like an interesting twist. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I wish Janine would have gotten through.. I liked her!
you can watch it here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xma3cn_top-chef-last-chance-kitchen-episode-1_shortfilms#rel-page-3 which is where I watch all my top chef episodes as well!

#10 of 41 Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM

I just got caught up.  I liked the two episodes.  They were kind of sad though because a lot of the contestants grew on me quick...then were just let go so fast.  So maybe I didn't care for the two episodes after all lol.  Now that that part is done though I can't wait to get to the real competition.  I like a lot of the contestants and I am excited to see what happens.

#11 of 41 Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

ROTFLMAO.gif @ padma!! "I better see some motherbleepin snakes on some motherbleepin plates!"

#12 of 41 Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

ROTFLMAO.gif @ padma!! "I better see some motherbleepin snakes on some motherbleepin plates!"

Haha, I thought that was hilarious!

I've been watching the Top Chef shows since the first season.  I don't have cable tv...so I watch online as well.  bag.gif

Just watched the latest episode. When the chefs return to their house to cook chili I caught someone in the background yell "Don't touch my breastmilk" as they rifled through the fridge and freezer.  Now I am curious...not sure who said it and haven't looked into who each contestant is.  I don't remember anyone talking about having a baby or young child.  I'm going to go look at the contestant bios now to see if someone has a little one they'd be pumping for while on the show- kind of neat to think that one of those women has committed to breastfeeding with the challenge of being on a show like this.

I can't wait for the final shows when they realize that the eliminated contestants have been competing to rejoin the competition this whole time!

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#13 of 41 Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEcatlady17 View Post

When the chefs return to their house to cook chili I caught someone in the background yell "Don't touch my breastmilk" as they rifled through the fridge and freezer. 

I thought I heard that too, but I decided I must have misheard. I wonder who it was..

#14 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:

I thought I heard that too, but I decided I must have misheard. I wonder who it was..

The only bio that mentions children is Beverly Kim.  It says she had a 14 month old in her video...  I'm really curious :)

#15 of 41 Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CHUY!!!!!
Those dinner party people seemed like real idiots..

#16 of 41 Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

hello!
hello!
hello!

anyone still watching?

#17 of 41 Old 12-14-2011, 06:19 AM

I'm still watching!  Hard for me to comment much though because I have yet to really learn any names lol.  So far I like all the challenges and everything (and you are right about those weirdo dinner party people, I felt bad for the judges having to be with them for so long).  But I am not really attached to the chefs yet.  So I'm kind of eh so far on this season. 

#18 of 41 Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

I am feeling kind of eh about it, too! I'm hoping they will grow on me. I think maybe because I was SO into last season, from the very start, that I can't remember what it is like to start out a season without knowing the cheftestants already. How long does it usually take to get into it? I feel like this many episodes in we should be rooting for or against someone by now! I guess several of the first episodes were not really the start of the actual competition, so I guess we aren't as far into the season as the episode number would have us believe.

I think it is interesting on Last Chance Kitchen that the newly eliminated chefs are pretty much winning each time. I guess that means they really ARE going out in the right order! I like how Tom's challenges are really back to basics kinds of tasks. Making a great burger, prepping onions, butchering meat.. etc.

#19 of 41 Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 AM

i haven't watched last chance yet - is it good?

#20 of 41 Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I like it. It is short and sweet.

#21 of 41 Old 12-15-2011, 04:21 PM

thanks - i'll check it out

wow - Heather was out of control last night....

#22 of 41 Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

ooh I haven't watched yet!

#23 of 41 Old 12-17-2011, 01:49 PM

i thought it was a very good episode - interesting method of eimination

#24 of 41 Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post

i haven't watched last chance yet - is it good?

It is just a few minutes to recap a quick fire like challenge.

I haven't seen the last episode yet- couldn't find it online when I looked a couple of days ago. 

I love this show.  I don't have a favorite contestant that I am hoping wins yet though.

#25 of 41 Old 12-26-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

yeah the elimination on that episode was different. Kind of brutal. I don't think the judges sent the right pair home, though. Yeah, the meat was under but they said that overall they enjoyed the flavors, whereas in other teams they said the dish didn't make sense. I thought Heather was so out of line.. what a B.

#26 of 41 Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM

I just loved this past episode- not sure if you've all seen it...  but after the double elimination episode this episode and the last chance kitchen episode were great!

#27 of 41 Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 AM

watching as well! Being a true fan, I skip the just desserts. My dd (9) loves the show and watches all the last kitchens and fills me in so I know whats up with it.

I have a feeling the Dallas homes were Real Housewives wannabes. I know they test and film in several cities and they did try Dallas. Wasnt a good go esp since those women and their DHs come off as complete dingbats on TC so imagine filming them for RHs. So these people got a nice parting gift even if it looked like Tom, Padma and them would have prefered getting a root canal.  

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#28 of 41 Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEcatlady17 View Post

I just loved this past episode- not sure if you've all seen it...  but after the double elimination episode this episode and the last chance kitchen episode were great!

ita. sweet vengance smile.gif

#29 of 41 Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

seems like no one is really feeling this season! I thought restaurant wars was kind of blah, but I don't really enjoy that challenge in general. I was also kind of blah about the last few people to go out, but kind of pumped about last chance kitchen! 3 more and she's back in!

I was floored- shocked- that Bev didn't go home when malibu did. she made crappy cole slaw and undercooked beans. how is that better than salty ribs? if you are doing sides, you should be able to ROCK them. I have no idea why she is still in. I did feel for her during R.W. everyone was so mean to her. and then at the end when she won it was like, IN YOUR FACE!

#30 of 41 Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM

I was kind of surprised that the girl team won the restaurant wars.  It seemed like the boys had done better.  But I guess it's the shows job to trick us like that for drama purposes lol.  I have no idea how I feel about Bev.  Can't decide if I like her or if she annoys the heck out of me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page