Article about birth on television - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/arts/television/harrowing-births-on-prime-time-tv.html?_r=1

From the article: "Five weeks, six exceedingly traumatic births. Talk about antifamily programming."

I think it's important to show a range of births in television programming and I understand that character's traumas, not specifically birth trauma, are often compelling parts of many television dramas. And I think television programming can raise awareness about a lot of issues, including trauma. But what frustrates me about births on television is that it seems skewed to the traumatic to a great extent rather than reflect a range of birth experiences.

Thoughts?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am always horrified about how birth is portrayed and I agree that what we see affect how we feel, even subconsciously. We are a society that dislikes hard work and any sort of pain (even if it has a purpose). 

But to add to it, think about how children in general are portrayed on TV (or if you want to be truly horrified, how tweens and teens are portrayed). Best I can tell from watching TV parenting is 18 years of total hell. You won't want to spend time with your kids, you'll be thankful when they go back to school and your life will only be worth living once they go to college. I've gotten to the point where I don't like watching shows with any kids in them because it stresses me out. Although on the positive side, it's making me quite determined to figure out how get my children to grow up as happy, reasonable, responsible, and respectful individuals. The only family I like seeing on TV is the Duggers (the one's with 19 kids). They seem to have managed to raise a really nice group of children. Granted I only have a couple of kids but I figure it's a goal to strive for.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/arts/television/harrowing-births-on-prime-time-tv.html?_r=1

From the article: "Five weeks, six exceedingly traumatic births. Talk about antifamily programming."

I think it's important to show a range of births in television programming and I understand that character's traumas, not specifically birth trauma, are often compelling parts of many television dramas. And I think television programming can raise awareness about a lot of issues, including trauma. But what frustrates me about births on television is that it seems skewed to the traumatic to a great extent rather than reflect a range of birth experiences.

Thoughts?

I guess I don't look to any of those types of shows for an accurate portrayal of pregnancy/labor/delivery. Of the examples given I've only seen Parenthood, which has raised awareness about Aspergers, by portraying it more accurately and realistically.  I guess it would be more accurate to say that I've given up hoping for an accurate portrayal of a regular delivery. 

Probably the most offensive show title this season is "I Hate My Teenage Daughter".  That's just jaw-droppingly bitter.  Now the premise of the show is interesting:  two moms discover their daughters have grown to be the same sort of bullies that harassed them when they were teens.  But I know the tone is just going to be nasty and disrespectful.  

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 AM

My favorite TV birth was on Dharma & Greg where the check-out girl from the local store has a baby in their bathtub.  Dharma's mother just happens to be a midwife and everyone keeps saying "Shouldn't we get her to a hospital?"  And Dharma keeps saying "Why, she's not sick?"  It was funny and cute. 

I don't watch a ton of shows so I don't see a lot of births on TV now.  I used to love them when I was a teen. 

I think it does a huge disservice by not portraying birth accurately at all.  It's like TV writers have never been to any birth! 

It also irritates me when they try to bring up other baby issues.  Someone told me about a Gray's Anatomy episode where the "handsome" dr does kangaroo care with a preemie.  EW!  Maybe the parents died or something but really???  The dr? 

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 PM

There was a midwife assisted home birth on TLC's sister wives show tonight.

User Tag List