American Idol -- And Then There Were Eight... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 108 Old 04-20-2004, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by AmandasMom
I dunno, maybe its the pregnancy hormones, but im tired of these "guest judges" who are there pimpin' a new CD out or something. I wasn't blown away buy anyone tonight, a few were great, but no chills like I had last week...
Really? I didn't get that impression from Barry Manilow at all tonight. He seemed really into it, really into helping the singers make his songs their own. I like how he rearranged the songs to bring out the strengths of each performer. And last week Quentin Tarentino watches AI religiously, so I didn't think of it as promotion of Kill Bill VII.

Maybe it's been that way in the past, though; I just started watching the show....

Susan
#62 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I preface this with I HATE THESE SONGS! THEY SUCK!!!

Barry did a great job arranging, couching, etc...everyone was at their best. Even John who was awful, did the best he's done so far.

The girls were all great. Jennifer, Latoya and even Jasmine. In fact,that was Jasmines best performance.

I think Latoya has it though........
#63 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 12:19 AM

yeah, i wasn't digging the music but thought that mr. manilow did a great job coaching them. everyone had a great night. maybe they should stop focusing on the ford commercials and let them have more time to rehearse instead.
i thought john did really well tonight, for john. he wasn't so worried about rhythm, as he said, and sang it well...for john.
each week, i am more and more impressed with jennifer. fantasia is my favorite at this point.
it was sweet when fantasia pointed to her daughter and said this is a miracle.
after the whole thing was over, ds looked very sad and said "jonpeterlewis didn't get his turn!" :LOL
#64 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 12:22 AM

Yeah, could they insert any MORE commercials?? Geesh.

Susan
#65 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm watching it now. I just saw George. I didn't care that much for Diana, at least not as much as the judges. I'm used to that song being faster and I thought she sounded better in the little snippets. I don't think I even knew the song that George sang, but wasn't all that impressed. Now I'm watching Jennifer. I wish she would bring back her curly hair!
#66 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm....

I generally don't like Mr. Barry's songs, but I like how he tailored the arrangements to each person's personality and genre of singing style.

I was going to do a play-by-play, but I honestly wasn't really blown away by anyone tonight. George sounded like he had a rough night -- was he sick or just trying to do too many riffs like Randy pointed out? John Stevens had a hard time singing some of the intervals in Mandy, and it was a little painful for me to listen to. Diana and Jasmine did okay. Jennifer, LaToya and Fantasia were all good. Fantasia definitely brought the energy up. I do agree with Simon that the show is turning into a bit of a diva competition, which I like. Go ladies!

I don't think I would be upset if John Stevens, Diana or Jasmine left tomorrow. The other four have been far more consistent in their performances and have demonstrated that they are trying and growing and that they have the attitude it takes to be a star performer.

So the question is... do I cheat and go to www.wgvo.com (Who Got Voted Off?) tomorrow before the show airs here in Pacific time? I don't know if I can display that kind of self-control...

happy in my commercial-free TiVo land,
claudia
#67 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 06:13 AM

My predictions for the bottom 3:
John S.
Diana
Jasmine

George's performance was weaker than I expected. I guess I expect a lot from him because he's always been so good.
I almost fell asleep during John S. singing Mandy so poorly.
LaToya rocked the house but the 360 pan the camera did made me dizzy. They need to quit doing that!
Fantasia was awesome.
Diana was better than she's been lately but I think it's too little, too late.
Am I the only one who thought Jasmine sounded off-key a lot?
Jennifer is a DIVA and even if she doesn't win this competition, she's going to go far in her music career.

The top runners of this competition are Fantasia, Jennifer, George and LaToya. Nobody ever stood a chance against them.

I think Diana is going home tomorrow.
#68 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 09:01 AM

I think it was a mistake to try to "update" the Manilow songs. Some of the arrangements were painful to listen to, but then, I'm no Fanilow.

Latoya: She's my favorite, I think. Even though Jennifer was probably better last night. Simon told her she's the best in the competition... She must be thrilled.

Jennifer: She was really great. She almost made me like that song (but not quite).

Fantasia: Good, but a little over the top. She was trying to outdo Latoya because Simon had said she was the best. And I hated the arrangement of that song!!!

George: Poor George. He started off the competition so strong and has had a couple of bad weeks. Last week it was a bad song choice, this week a bad song choice and an even WORSE arrangement. He needs to come back strong next week!! I still really like him...

Jasmine: She was good, but she can't win it.

Diana: She was good, too, but her days are numbered. She may go home tonight...

John: I have upgrade him to the sad smilie from the Puke smilie, and that says a lot!! He's probably going home tonight, but this was better than most of his other performances.
#69 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 12:13 PM

Almost forgot!!

What did you guys think of the whole STAN LAUREL thing?? I think he TOTALLY looks like him! DIdnt look like he even knew who STAN LAUREL is!
#70 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 12:20 PM

Some of his facial expressions remind me of Bill Clinton...
#71 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 01:19 PM

I missed it!!!!! Oh well, it doesn't sound too exciting. What is next week??? What did Fantasia, Latoya, and Jennifer sing????
#72 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 06:14 PM

I taped it but don't think I am going to have time to watch it before the results show. Oh well, you all gave such wonderful reports it's like I was there! :LOL

Besides it is the same every week, John, Diana and Jasmine, no matter how they did this week, should be the one to go!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#73 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 10:02 PM

Just watched the results show here on the east coast. The person who got voted off was
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Jennifer Hudson
. No joke.
#74 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 10:04 PM

I posted this elsewhere but wanted to post it here too:

Pick me up off the floor with tonights vote. OMG how can that redhead still be there???? Like the judges said this is based on SINGING not on popularity. Tonights vote should not have happened!
#75 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 10:09 PM

How horrible was that?!
#76 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 10:18 PM

OK, now I've decided that it might not be the best idea for me to watch this show anymore, seeing how I never tend to agree with the status quo on many ideas. I think I'm just setting myself up for huge dissappointments here. DUH..... I don't like listening to the radio, it makes me want to barf, and I expect the people I think are talented to win????
#77 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Moss's Mommy
OK, now I've decided that it might not be the best idea for me to watch this show anymore, seeing how I never tend to agree with the status quo on many ideas. I think I'm just setting myself up for huge dissappointments here. DUH..... I don't like listening to the radio, it makes me want to barf, and I expect the people I think are talented to win????
ITA. I don't know if I should watch anymore, either. And the way they draw it out with the two groups, and how they had
George go to the top group and then it was the wrong group and blech.

UGH
#78 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 10:47 PM

There is a PART of me that totally wants to see mr. redhead win...he sucks, YES...he should be voted out. But let's see what the marketing "geniuses" do when they have ZERO talent to work with for a winner.

I cannot BELIEVE who was voted out...that is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG!!!!
#79 of 108 Old 04-21-2004, 11:58 PM

I am so pissed right now! It is the fault of the voting process. It is not an accurate measure of who is liked better. I like LaToya so I vote one time, Johns classmate likes him so she ( who is 15 and has nothing better to do) sits on the phone and votes for 2 hours straight! HOW is that a fair judgment of America????

I don't want to watch but I will, I too hope now that John S wins just so they can lose $$ on his contract for their stupid voting procedures.

#80 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 12:01 AM

I don't usually get too invested in tv shows, but tonight I was shocked!! I was thinking what a great group of women to be in the lead, and ....... they weren't!! What the heck?
#81 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 12:02 AM

I just find it hard to believe that ALL 3 of them Divas were in the bottom seems a little fishy to me??? Unless the voters just thought they didn't need votes and thus voted for the ppl who aren't as good?

#82 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 12:05 AM

Does America have the worst taste or what!!!! THis is a Travesty!!!

you guys are right......I hope the redhead wins the whole thing!
#83 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 12:14 AM

:Puke :

That's all I have to say about it.

Amy
#84 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 01:29 AM

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Jennifer Hudson
getting voted off just plain sucked!!!

I think AI should make it so that you vote for your LEAST favorite.

I am starting to really dislike LaToya. She didn't even look surprised when Ryan told her she was safe.....just smiled like she expected it. She seems very arrogant and affected to me.
#85 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 01:46 AM

I just noticed this thread was way longer than the other one, so I'll post here too. Did anyone else get bugged that race seems to be determining the votes. I mean, I know we live in a racist country, but come on! Those 3 women are amazing singers, and there's no way John should still be there.
#86 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 04:23 AM

I posted on the other thread but I was SO MAD when they said the DIVAS were the bottom three and Jennifer was going home. BULLS***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to sit on the phone for 2 hours straight voting next week.
#87 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 09:52 AM

I think America forgot to vote for the divas... poor Jennifer Hudson.

Well, let's not feel too bad for her. 19 Entertainment probably signed her to a record contract 5 minutes after the show ended last night. That's what they did with Tamyra Gray in Season 1 when she got voted off unexpectedly... and just look at how she's doing. She's been on Boston Public! She's been on other Fox tv shows!! She performed on Idol a few weeks ago!!! :

Seriously though, getting voted off may be the best thing for her career!
#88 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 01:52 PM

This is what I posted in the other thread

Quote:
Serial posting to add that I can't believe they put George in the position of having to decide which group was in the top when Ryan told him to go stand with the group with the most votes. He stood there looking confused and did what I probably would have in that situation, gone with Group A , bc they were considered the better singers AND the first group.
#89 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 02:00 PM

I hope John wins too, now! GO John! What is the deal with you all saying this stuff about John's classmates??? If that is true, then I'm sure that everybody's hometowns, old h.s, churches, etc.. are voting for them, so it all equals out right??? Or is there something I'm not getting??? My husband was listening to a talk show on his satellite radio this morning and they were saying there's going to be a huge twist..... How could they possibly know this and is this going to prove once and for all that this is rigged???? Who knows, is this for ratings???? Getting us all excited???
#90 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 02:10 PM

nah, I think the "huge twist" will be the producers pulling the plug on the voting. They'll decide that it is too risky for the public to choose and they'll have the final vote decided by the judges (which will all be plotted out behind the scenes by the producers based on who they want to sign on to be Idol). I'm sure there is some clause in the Idol contract they're working under currently that says that the producers have the right to change the rules whenever they want for whatever reason. They have too much money locked in to this for John to win. And frankly, John SHOULDN'T win. And ...if you like someone, you SHOULD vote for 2 hours straight LOL

That's my prediction. And really, I don't care...as long as it's LaToya or Fantasia that wins...in my (not so humble) opinion they are the best 2. I thought Jennifer was 3rd best...and she was voted out and the other two in the bottom 3???? That is just the insanity of the teeny boppers who DO spend 2 hours voting. (Now, just to clear the air though, I spent 2 hours voting when Canadian Idol was on the air...but I'm a total reality tv junkie )

Abby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page