American Idol -- And Then There Were Eight... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was so upset and angry last night. I couldn't believe I got that worked up about a television show, but I did.

The whole thing was f%&#ed up, including the way they exposed the bottom three by using George...that was just gross.

Jennifer Hudson looked really ticked off when she learned that group A was the bottom three. I don't blame her. I'm sure she'll get a record contract anyway, but I felt terrible for her. I'm sure that the exposure from the show will mean careers for both Latoya and Fantasia too, whether or not they win.

Maybe this is a wake up call to the producers to change the way the contestants are voted off, who knows? At this point, I almost hope John Stevens wins just to prove that the voting process needs to be changed.

Another poster above suggested that this might be a race thing - I wonder that myself. Wouldn't that be horrible if it was true? Honestly, I think it's more an age thing - I think that the teen audience for this show is huge, and that they are going to vote for their peers, the youngest contestants, and as others said, they will vote over and over again as opposed to older viewers with TASTE who may vote once or not at all.

I almost don't want to watch anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 06:59 PM

I don't think it is a race thing so much as a niche thing... Diana is the peppy girl-next-door type. JS is the young teen male, and an old-fashioned crooner (so he appeals to two demographics). Jasmine is the Hawaiian, slightly exotic-type (not based on race so much as the flower behind the ear thing). George has his own style, and he's one of only two guys still in the competition. Latoya, Jennifer and Fantasia are all divas - they all fit into one niche. People who tend to vote for divas are going to split their vote among the three.

I am so pissed that Jennifer's gone, because I REALLY liked her, but now Fantasia and LaToya may be stronger because Jennifer's not pulling votes from them. I would love to see Fantasia and Latoya in the final two together - I just hope the voters get their act together.

I felt SO BAD for George - he looked devastated. He knows that he doesn't belong there over Jennifer.

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
#93 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im CURIOUS: Do all of you vote??? I havent yet, but after last night, if I still watch the show : Im going to start voting.......
#94 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 07:50 PM

I vote a couple of times each show but now I think I'm going to vote more often.
#95 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mimie
I don't think it is a race thing so much as a niche thing... Diana is the peppy girl-next-door type. JS is the young teen male, and an old-fashioned crooner (so he appeals to two demographics). Jasmine is the Hawaiian, slightly exotic-type (not based on race so much as the flower behind the ear thing). George has his own style, and he's one of only two guys still in the competition. Latoya, Jennifer and Fantasia are all divas - they all fit into one niche. People who tend to vote for divas are going to split their vote among the three.

I am so pissed that Jennifer's gone, because I REALLY liked her, but now Fantasia and LaToya may be stronger because Jennifer's not pulling votes from them.
You know, I hadn't thought of that, but it makes so much sense! One more reason why the votes should be against people rather than for people.
#96 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 08:31 PM

I voted last week for the first time, and I voted my butt off for LaToya and Jennifer. This week I wasn't home and I didn't vote

Next week I am going to vote for two hours straight for LaToya as are several of my friends!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#97 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 09:22 PM

Anyone watching UPN...... Ryan Seacrests show? Jennifer is on right now and so is Barry manilow talking about last night........Ill write more.....
#98 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 09:29 PM

Ok I just watched Entertainment Tonight and Paula basically said that ppl are using high speed dialers to vote thousands of times and that if we want our favorites to win then we should go out and get them too WTF???? Is she kidding? How about changing the voting. Also one of the past judges, Lamont Dosier said that if this trend of voting for the not so good ppl continues that American Idol may have problems even getting ppl to watch, as what is the point? kwim?

Oh yeah also Paula was saying " Oh this is ok for her this is good, she is on top" WHAT??? How is that possible when um yeah she LOST!!!!

rainsmom I am very interested to hear what your show was about~!

#99 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 10:49 PM

First off Ryan showed what happened in the show and a synapis of their perfomances. Then he interviewed Jennifer and asked her what was going on in her head. She said she was surprised MORE about Latoya and Fantasia being there, as she had been in the bottom 3 before. She said she thinks maybe people were voting for who they thought needed the votes, and not their favorites. She also talked about George, and started crying. I guess her and George have been buddies from the begining of the competition, and they would pray together, sometimes for her to get it when he got voted off before.....then for eachother to make it to the top 12....and she went on and on, crying about what a good person he is, etc. Then they brought out Barry M and he said he was pretty shocked too, but that he knew Jennifer would have a great career ahead of her. Then Barry performed a medly....I had to turn it off for awhile...they did a duet together, then Jennifer sang alone. Shes got a great spirit and personality........I really enjoyed hearing what she had to say, very humble. She looked great too. Ryan said there has been a real uproar about her getting voted off.

Ryans show is on everyday on UPN, here its at 4pm. And he always has whomever was voted off on the show......plus backstage with Randy and Simon. THey showed Simons fiance or girlfriend......very beautful young girl.
#100 of 108 Old 04-22-2004, 11:18 PM

i knew simon had a fiance, but what's up with him and paula practically making out during these shows if he's involved with someone?

thanks for the recap of ryan's show. i was curious abotu that, but couldn't watch.
#101 of 108 Old 04-23-2004, 12:58 AM

I can't ever get through on those stupid lines, even when I'm feeling particularly moved by a performance. I'm tired of this show and mad at them..... what is happening to our voting systems??????
#102 of 108 Old 04-23-2004, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by rainsmom
Im CURIOUS: Do all of you vote??? I havent yet, but after last night, if I still watch the show : Im going to start voting.......
Yes, I always vote for Jennifer. I couldn't get through very often this last time.

High speed dialers. Humph.
#103 of 108 Old 04-23-2004, 06:20 AM

I vote, but now that I read the post about people voting thousands of times, I think I'm just wasting my time. It seems like there should be a way to only allow each phone number a limited number of votes.
#104 of 108 Old 04-23-2004, 11:02 AM

This article from CNN discusses the controversy over Jennifer Hudson being cut from American Idol...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

It *does* make sense that votes are being split among the divas from the demographic group who make up their fans (i.e., all the people who like the diva-type singer have to choose among Jennifer/Latoya/Fantasia), so *individually* they aren't getting enough votes and, consequentially, end up in the bottom 3. Whereas the viewers who like red-haired 16-year-old boys who can't sing have only 1 person for ALL their votes! Eek!!!!
#105 of 108 Old 04-23-2004, 03:36 PM

rainsmom thanks for the recap I am going to try and watch it next week for the person who gets the boot.

Simons fiancee is also a correspondent for Extra, her name is Teri Seymour. I agree it's just weird that Paula and Simon are holding hands and all manner of other things. I think it is to help ratings:LOL

#106 of 108 Old 04-26-2004, 01:41 PM

I too was surprised and disappointed by the results of last week's shows, but I was even more surprised by Ryan and the judges reactions. Ryan said, "Remember America, it is not a popularity contest..." Yes it is! Although I don't think Jasmine, John, or Diana are any where near as good as the others, I'm not going to buy their music, whomever they are. Those teeny boppers voting for hours after the show are the ones who will run out and buy the CD the day it is released. So, the question is, where do the big dollars come from: commercials during the show, or sales of the winner's CDs?
#107 of 108 Old 04-26-2004, 02:39 PM

Jennifer I never thought of that, your right to a certain extent. I got Clay's CD as a gift but I probably would never have bought it. I guess if the kids like them and they vote for them then that is as it should be. I guess it is just hard to sit and watch ppl that really don't have a great talent win the sort of deal they are going to get, kwim?

#108 of 108 Old 04-26-2004, 03:20 PM

I started a new thread for The Final Six is anyone wants to comment or speculate about tomorrow night's show with Gloria Estefan. American Idol -- The Final Six

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page