American Idol -- And Then There Were Eight... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A new thread, just like I promised you all...

I'm looking forward to hearing what Quentin Tarantino will have to say tonight. I saw him on some entertainment show (Access Hollywood? ET? Extra?) and he said the guest judges are the worst part of the show! They also talked to Simon, who said that he met Tarantino at some gathering and all Tarantino wanted to talk about was the contestants on Idol and all Simon wanted to talk about were Tarantino's movies! :LOL

Regardless of how they sing tonight, either John Stevens or JPL need to go tonight. If they don't, well, I will be one angry pregnant woman.

And isn't there a new Friends episode on Thursday during the results show??? grrrrrrrrrrrrr....... I guess I'll have to read the spoilers on idolonfox.com and watch Friends instead...

Happy Idolizing!!!!!!!!!!

warmly,
claudia
#2 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 07:09 PM

Claudia I will be pissed right there with you if one of them does not go. Honestly I was just talking with dh about this show and he asked me who I thought should win, and I told him there are several really great women in the show but that if one of the guys wins then America is tone deaf!:LOL

Also thanks for starting this new thread!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#3 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
but that if one of the guys wins then America is tone deaf!

What about George? I think he's pretty good.....
#4 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 07:38 PM

He's the best of the guys but still not good enough IMO, I think if I saw him at karoke I would be like WOW he is great, but not to spend $$ on his CD or pay to go to a concert, but that is JMO

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#5 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 07:47 PM

Since AI is on tonight, is the voting results show going to be tomorrow?
#6 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
And isn't there a new Friends episode on Thursday during the results show??? grrrrrrrrrrrrr....... I guess I'll have to read the spoilers on idolonfox.com and watch Friends instead...
Friends is a rerun, or should I say two of them. Again. :
#7 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 08:41 PM

Quote:
but not to spend $$ on his CD or pay to go to a concert
Thats kinda how I feel about all of them.....course, I wouldnt buy Clays or Rubens cds either........
#8 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by trishshack
Friends is a rerun, or should I say two of them. Again. :
quadruple angry pregnant woman grrrrrrrrr..........

oh well, i guess i will be watching the results show then. darn fox. darn dubya.
#9 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 10:03 PM

Fantasia Fantasia Fantasia FANTASTIC. This was the first time out of all the AI shows previous season included that I got chills and a few tears came too! I could feel that performance. Wow wow wow!
#10 of 108 Old 04-14-2004, 10:26 PM

Move Over Kelly Clarkson!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh MY GOODNESS. I would never buy any AI CD, but after that, I want every Fantasia CD she ever comes out with. That girl has raw soul, and that left me speechless. I still have the chills an hour later. I want to see that again. I loved Quentin Tarrentino and I'm ready for Dianna to go. He was exactly right...so what if you can hit a note. You gotta feel it in your bones, and she just doesn't, yet. Maybe one day she will, but it'll take a lot of failure for her to surrender herself to the soul. 3 girls are going to be the last three. I think we all know who that'll be, and I think we all know where Fantasia will be on that list... I can't wait to see what she does next week. Where has she been all of my life?????
#11 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 12:51 AM

Wow! There was some good performances tonight, though I was surprised how many people picked songs from Disney movies...and Celine Dion songs no less

George: how disappointing. I really like him, but that song was NOT a good choice. Just no energy, no Huff-ness.

Jennifer: Very good. I like her and I think she is getting better and better as QT said. I liked what Simon said about the voodoo doll...hee.

Diana: I agree with QT again. She sang the song fine, but I don't really care. There's no soul there. But someday I think it will be for her.

JPL: Ugh. I have never understood the appeal of JPL. He would be a mediocre karaoke singer. Actually he's worse than most of the karoake singers I used to hear when I frequented karaoke bars. He always sound off key and weak and...ugh...I could go on, but I won't.

John or Baby Conan : I actually like Red. I don't think he's Idol material and he's had some horrendous performances recently. Tonight he was OK...just OK and soooo safe. He should go soon because I don't think I can take another bad performance by him.

Jasmine: OK, pretty, but not great.

Latoya: A beautiful, strong performance. She doesn't "wow" me though.

Fantasia: Wow, wow, wow! That is one of my favorite songs and I've never, ever heard anyone besides Joplin NOT butcher it. It was a beautiful, soulful, original cover. I wasn't sure I liked Fantasia and her attitude, but when the tears started flowing...

I loved QT as a guest judge. He was a little less harsh than I expected though. He's so funny.

Totally T
My DH was once mistaken for Quentin Tarentino at a Cubs game in Minnesota (I think that's the team??). It was a year after Pulp Fiction came out. DH was sitting there with his little brother (he was in Big Brothers/Big Sisters) and this guy comes up to him and says "I loved your film, man. You're f!!#$# brilliant. The cast was amazing, man. John Travolta. Uma Thurman. I won't ask for an autograph...*stammer, stammer, stammer*." My very innocent, unworldly DH (esp. at that time) had NO IDEA. He's never even heard of Pulp Fiction, much less QT. It was months later that he pieced it together. And yes, he does bear some resemblence to him...some...

DH has NEVER seen one of his movies, though...

[/OT]
#12 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by AmandasMom
Fantasia Fantasia Fantasia FANTASTIC. This was the first time out of all the AI shows previous season included that I got chills and a few tears came too! I could feel that performance. Wow wow wow!
I was coming here to say the same thing, just about. Fantasia was fantastic! I love that song too, and my thought is that Janis was the one who did butcher it. I admit that I've mostly ever heard it in the context of the opera, and I've also heard Ella Fitzgerald's version of it.

OK, I just saw John Stevens. I've never liked anything he's done other than King of the Road, and tonight doesn't change anything. Ugh!
#13 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 01:13 AM

Can't we just save a couple of weeks and send Diana and the two Johns home tomorrow?
#14 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 02:05 AM

Fantasia... Could this be our next American Idol??

I also liked Jennifer, LaToya and George -- even though George had an off night.

Diana, Jasmine, JPL and John. One should go home tomorrow night. Or two. I was so surprised the judges liked John's rendition of As Time Goes By. I thought it was flat and boring. And don't get me started on JPL's jailhouse rock!!! Better than last week but he still makes me want to :Puke:Puke

QT is so cool! He should replace Simon next year!
#15 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 02:59 AM

My mom tried to tape it for us, but messed it up!!! We had orchestra tix.

Can someone give me a rundown of what songs everyone sang?
#16 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
George sang Against All Odds or something like that. The Phil Collins song from the 1984 movie Against All Odds.

Jennifer sang I Have Nothing which is a Whitney song I guess from The Bodyguard.

JPL sang Jailhouse Rock the Elvis song from the movie of the same title.

Diana sang that Celine Dion song from Titanic. My Heart Will Go On?

Fantasia sang Summertime from Porgy and Bess, which I didn't realize had been made into a movie, but apparently it has. It is a 1959 Otto Preminger film with Sidney Poitier as Porgy, Dorothy Dandridge as Bess and Sammy Davis Jr. as Sportin' Life. Doggone, you learn something new every day.

Jasmine sang shucks, I can't remember. It didn't make much of an impression, obviously. Oh yeah, When I Fall in Love by Heyman and Young and sung by various artists including Nat King Cole and I think Celine Dion, from what I could tell when I was trying to find out who wrote it. It was on the soundtrack of Sleepless in Seattle.

John Stevens sang something from Casablanca. Doggone, again I can't remember, and I really can't remember this one. I've heard the song before. Maybe As Time Goes By? Oh duh, Cranberry mentioned that above, so I guess that was the song.

LaToya sang Somewhere from Westside Story.

I still have it on TiVo. I could dump it to video and mail it to you, if you like.
#17 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 03:40 AM

Amy - thanks for posting that!!!

What a sweet offer to mail it! It's cool, I am gonna call my aunt...she tapes it, too!! Thanks, though!
#18 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 08:07 AM

Not that it matters much, but each contestant had to state their favorite movie before we found out which song they chose. I think it was pretty funny, actually:

George: The Wiz

Jennifer: Sister Act II

JPL: Dead Poet's Society

Diana: Bowfinger.

Fantasia: Finding Nemo

Jasmine: Lilo & Stitch (big surprise, eh?)

John Stevens: Aladdin

Latoya: Finding Nemo

I was confused--they tell us their favorite movie, but the songs they chose--were any of them FROM their favorite movie? I thought it would have been cool if they were. And 1/2 of these are animated movies...weird.
#19 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Jasmine: Lilo & Stitch (big surprise, eh?)
: dh and i were cracking up about that last night.

were my husband and i the only ones who thought george was awesome? i don't like the song, but we both thought he was great :

fantasia was AWESOME. wow.

i loved qt. he should come one every week. was it just me, or did simon seem kind of jealous, for lack of a better word?
#20 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 04:55 PM

Fantasia's performance gave me chills.
I think the bottom three is going to be:
JPL
John Stevens
Jasmine or Diana

JPL just make me : irritated
John Stevens is NOT a good singer. I don't know why he is here!
Jasmine has failed to wow me, ever.
Diana seems like she is getting worse!

LaToya was good.
George wasn't as good as I know he can be, but he deserves to stay.
Jennifer's voice is so powerful and amazing. If it came down to Fantasia and Jennifer I don't know who I would pick! It's like Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard all over again!
#21 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I will be satisfied if any of the following four go this week:
Diana
Jasmine
John Stevens
JPL (my partner thinks it's hysterical that everyone calls him this, even Ryan Seacrest and Randy and Paula)

I will be tremendously happy if the final four end up being
George
Jennifer
LaToya
Fantasia
(hmmm... that would be an all-black final four... interesting...)

but I have a feeling that JPL will be in the final four... grrrr.... did anyone else think he looked pained while singing last night? What a doofus...

And as much as I like Diana and Jasmine, both of them look much more like Disney theme park singers than American Idols.

just itching to find out who gets the boot,
claudia
#22 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 06:53 PM

Its just gotta be JPL, Red, or Diana.......I have a feeling that the 2 guys have a huge fanbase and will get the votes needed to stay till the bitter end.

I guess I should start voting:
#23 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 06:59 PM

After last night's show I told dh that there are four people who should stay and four people who need to go (just as Claudia divided them)... and it doesn't really matter what order they go in.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will work out quite as smoothly as that. Not everyone who votes agrees with me, for some reason. :LOL

BTW, I can't wait for Fantasia's CD to come out. It's the only one by any AI contestant (so far) that I will buy.
#24 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 07:16 PM

Fantasia has been my favorite and was amazing last night, but who knows with AI! Jennifer was 2nd best but America is hating on her!!!!!!!! And I have a neighbor who despises Fantasia's voice...go figure...George is ok, but the 2 other guys are horrid. JPL is not attractive and is like the silly guy in HS who made us laugh. The redhead (brain fart here) has a unique voice but it ENDS THERE PEOPLE!! DH said they have to have white people in the final (cause America is like that y'know!!) and those 2 guys are the only 2 white people left. I reminded DH that in this country we call home, POC are allowed to be on top...in MUSIC and SPORTS...Especially anyone identifying as black or Latino...cause it is genetic.. (TONGUE IN CHEEK HERE!!) :

(REMEMBER...we are family of many colors/ethnicities and hear this kinda' crap spewed ALOT!! Sometimes as fact to our faces!!)
#25 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 07:39 PM

See, I like Diana...I like her better than LaToya...LaToya just seems really full of herself to me. She's great, and a better singer than Diana, but she seems very affected.

JPL - :Puke I hope he goes.
#26 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 08:05 PM

I think you have to be somewhat "full of yourself" to make it in that business. You have to be bold enough, confident enough, and of course, have the talent to just get in the door.
#27 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

One other thought: I thought it was really poignant and sweet how Fantasia was tearing up after she sang and then she said to Ryan that she really felt her song...

And about Simon seeming a bit more mellow or perhaps a little jealous of Tarantino's honesty: apparently the two of them are a mutual admiration society, so maybe Simon was a little starstruck? Wow. First, Simon apologizes to George about calling him a back up soul singer and then Simon is speechless? Are pigs flying now?

warmly,
claudia
#28 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'M SO HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bye bye JPL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#29 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 09:58 PM

Thanks for posting that, TurboClaudia. I missed it, but am in EST so wouldn't be able to find out for several more hours!
#30 of 108 Old 04-15-2004, 09:59 PM

Darn!

I always forget theres a time difference and youre seeing it before I see it. Darn darn!

not like its a surprise though........

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page