Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Anyone watching?

#2 of 15 Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'm watching,  but after the latest results im pretty irritated with the show. I thought for sure my favorites would make the top 13, but nope! (well a couple of them did.)

I dont understand how Jen, Reed, and Creighton could have had one of the best group performances and continue to do soooo well in the earlier rounds, and then NONE of them get through?? That makes no sense to me. I understand how Reed (and maybe even to a lesser extent Creighton) would be an acquired taste and could possibly rub some the wrong way (he's a bit Taylor Hicks-ish)---although i find him to be so positive and self assured and unique, if a little weird LOL...but Jen!? She was great. Clearly one of the better female singers. i dont get it. She always just left it right out there on the stage, every time. But Ms. Junior Miss America All American Girl gets through (i dont know her name, but the one with the baseball player dad, she just seems so Pageant to me) ....boring!! BORING!!!!

At this point, the only ones i care about are Phil Philips, Heejun (mostly because he's funny), Colton (who is clearly a front runner) and probably Skylar Laine because she seems like an authentic country girl. Oh i like the girl who sang last, on the piano,cant remember her name. She seems interesting.

But yeah....i dont get the curly haired kid at all....many of the girls seem boring and forgetable to me even if they can "sing".....i dunno. I'll keep watching but im not happy that the more interesting contestants arent even in the top group.

At this point, i think i prefer The Voice (anyone watching that? you know you watch too many singing shows when you think "Jordis? Jordis from Rockstar: INXS?! Where's her dreads??"

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#3 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

My 3 favorite guys going into the first show were Heejun, Joshua and Jeremy.  My 3 favorite girls were Jessica, Skylar and Erika, and I also liked Brielle & Deandre.  I don't much care for Shannon at all, and I disliked Adam Brock as a singer and Colton just seemed meh to me.  So then after I watched the first show, I started to like Deandre more, I still love Joshua and Jessica.  Jeremy didn't do so great, I thought, and I think that Jen deserved to be the wildcard pick based on both of her performances especially when compared to Jeremy's.  But it really seemed like a personality thing.  Jen did a great job both times around.  When they were complimenting her after her first song, saying she was a professional and could win this whole thing, I knew she wouldn't make it through.  She's not as well known as some of the contestants that they've been featuring the whole way through, and as a personality she doesn't stand out much.  She sang close to the beginning, and I think she just kind of got forgotten during the voting.  It's kind of a shame.

I still think Joshua is fantastic, but I don't think he'll win. Elise is great, but she's kind of like Haley from last year, and I feel like the more talented people did not make it to the end. I have not liked the last few winners, but the choice of Scotty was like, wow, I can't believe it, he's not that great a singer.  The country guy that Heejun had issues with was more talented, I thought.

#4 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I actually rewatched the first show at some point, and Colton kind of grew on me more. Deandre is doing a very specific style that probably won't take him far, I'm thinking.

OK, The Voice.  I thought a lot of those battles were a mess and not fun to listen to at all.  I loved Anthony and Jesse, they sounded like professionals, they actually complemented one another.  Anthony had a huskier voice and seemed to have more technical skill in some ways, but Jesse had that clear forward tone and more showmanship or charisma or something

The two guys who sang in the beginning were pretty good, but I thought that the Celine Dion song was a mess, and I agreed there were issues with Jordis and whoever it was she was singing with. Total Eclipse of the Heart didn't do much for me either other than make me think that Cheesa was actually better than I thought she'd be--I kind of thought it was a mistake for him to pick her.

#5 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Elise Testone's voice reminds me of Laura Prepon's.  They're both from New Jersey, I wonder if that's it.

#6 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm watching both shows. bag.gif I will only admit that on the anonymous internet. Only you and my husband know. 

On American Idol, for the girls, I like Erika a lot. She has a really unique quality to her voice and seems really interesting.  And she did really well tonight. I like Elise too. I'm not really impressed with the others. They can all sing, but they just seem a bit bland to me.  

I'm still mad Lauren Gray didn't make it to the top 13. I think she's amazing. I totally love her bluesy voice. I was completely stunned when they cut her especially considering some of the people they did put through. I'm still bitter.  

For the boys, I'm consistently impressed by Deandre. I nearly cried when he sang This Woman's Work to get to the top 24. I can't believe he's only 17. He has amazing musicality and shows such maturity in his performances. I think he rocked it tonight. I also like Joshua and think he totally kicked butt tonight.

I think Heejun, Jeramine, and Jeremy can all sing and seem like such sweet guys, but I don't know if any of them really have what it takes. Colten isn't really my style, but I can see him going far in the competition. I don't dislike him, but I do wish he'd wear some better pants. Those skinny jeans aren't doing anything for his little toothpick legs. Sorry, that's petty, but sometimes I can do nothing else but stare at his skinny little legs when he's singing. Could they be any skinnier? I have mixed feelings about Phillip. I think he is undeniably talented, and I want to like him, but there is just too much Dave Matthews coming through. He almost seems to be doing an impression. I find that a little troubling.  

And it's way past my bedtime, so I'm off.  sleepytime.gif

#7 of 15 Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't enjoy Jermaine and Heejun as much last night, for some reason.  I do like Heejun, but I feel there are just a few things he could fix in terms of placement that could fix the resonance and being on top of the note a little more.  I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and my hearing isn't great, but a few of them just have these long sustained notes where they just are a skosh under the pitch and can't quite carry it all the way through.  But then, I struggle with that in my own singing, and I'll sing something and it sounds fine in my head, and then I listen back and I feel like, "Ick, my onset of that note was awful and I was a little flat there" and I complain, but then other people say it's fine.  But I think it's always different listening to it recorded then listening to it live.

I wanted Elise's to be a little slowed down or something, more like jazz instead of just jazzy.  Or something, I don't know.  

I think the problem is I'm biased.  If I like a song and the person does it well, I really like that performance.  If I don't know the song or don't like it, it's harder to get enthused. Of course, I guess the flip side is that if I like a song and they don't do it well, then I'm critical too. I feel like I know and love a lot of Stevie Wonder songs, but some of the ones performed last night I didn't know.  I think Joshua's performance was best, just because he's a consummate performer, I like the song, and even though I prefer voices like Heejun's that are much clearer and smoother, I like a lot of the raspy singers when they do a good job. And a lot of the singers that were doing these big long notes had some pitch issues, even Jessica.  I know and like the song Colton sang, but he was just not quite there for me.  I mean it's like he has clogged sinuses or marbles in his mouth or something, so I agree with Randy that it started out shaky, but improved.

Skylar when she got going, darn, I loved her performance.  And Deandre is a great performer and his performance was very fun.

#8 of 15 Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

OK, American Idol:

Phil - I liked it.  He hasn't been one of the ones I have liked, and when he did that version of "In the Air" tonight I didn't get it, because he made the melodic line so much more uninteresting than it actually is, and what is to be gained from that?  But since I liked him, most people will probably not.

Jessica - I liked that they gave constructive criticism, but I think a lot of the problem with that song is that it was a remake, and she sang it more like the disco version than the Gloria Estefan version.

Heejun - I groaned when I heard he was going to sing a Richard Marx song, but I actually liked his performance.  He's slightly under the pitch sometimes, to my middle-aged lady ear, but it sounds more like he just can't get vowel placement right, or something.  And a lot of the singers are like that and it doesn't get noticed, or they say someone's pitch perfect, so I didn't care.  The only thing was to me he sounded like he was really trying to imitate Richard Marx, and I think that's just part of the way he sings--he likes to mimic--so I liked it.

Elise - I thought it was really good and effortless on her part.  She didn't sound like Donna from That 70's Show as much as she normally does, and her rasp worked well on this song.

Deandre - it was just boring to me, but I thought he did as good a job as he could have.

Shannon - I wanted her to bomb, since I haven't liked anything she's sung so far, and I don't think how bad she sounded on that Whitney song, but I thought she was really good on the beginning part.  When she got to the "big voice" part, she kind of screamed it and sounded a bit clunky to me.  And I dislike her mannerisms when she's doing the belting thing.

Colton - I didn't know the song either, which isn't that unusual, I rarely know all the songs, and this was the only one from this show I hadn't heard.  He's normally not my fave either, but I really enjoyed his performance and thought he sang it well.

Erika - I love her.  The song was OK, not her best.

Skylar - The arrangement was terrible, I thought.  I mean the instrumental accompaniment was just too upbeat and pop sounding, and it overpowered her singing.  But she sang it well.

Joshua - unlike Jessica, singing a remade song worked for him because he needed more of a Percy Sledge song than a Michael Bolton song anyway.  I thought he made it his own thing.

Hollie - Meh.  She keeps singing these songs where she's kind of blowing it out at the end, and I don't think she quite has the pipes for it.  I feel like she always struggles with the big note, and I think she'd do better to maybe go down in her register a bit.  She had a few pitch issues, and then she has kind of weird pronunciations of things that always take me out of whatever the song is.

The judges -  they need to stop talking in superlatives. This was the best audition ever, that was the best female they've ever heard in any season, blah blah blah.  And they should really shut up about song choice because we all know that they are limited in what they can pick, but the judges seem to try and ignore that.  Jennifer was willing to admit that there are only about 20 songs they could actually choose from for that year, but then Randy talks about how there are thousands of songs in each year.  Yeah, we know that, but we also know that you don't have the rights to those, so stop trying to hide that fact.  It feels deceitful.  And if you tell people who is in trouble, you know we're just going to vote for him more.

#9 of 15 Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

The Voice - I guess I find the battle rounds boring.  I liked them last year because they seemed novel, but I just feel like most of the people sing terribly together.  My friend and I were talking about this last week, and he disagreed with just about every decision that was made.  This week I felt like every decision was made to take the younger, more commercially marketable choice until they got to Kim and Whitney.  I really liked Kim and thought she was really good and deserved to go on, but dang it, I had planned on voting for Whitney once it got to that point, and now I can't.  

And they pick people who already have careers in singing, to some extent or another.  I guess Chris Mann is already known for a commercial he did, so you think they could work it out and do something more interesting.

#10 of 15 Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm worried that Erika and Elise keep getting in the bottom three. I'm not sure I'll bother watching if they go, but I think I've said that many times before about other people on these types of shows and couldn't bring myself to stop watching. eyesroll.gif Once I've started, it's hard to stop. 

I agree the battles on The Voice have been a bit of a snooze and that they seem to be going for young and marketable now. I almost thought that Adam would choose Melanie over Kim for that reason, but that would have been so obvious.  I mean I like Melanie a lot but Kim was really good.  Anyone who went up against her was sort of doomed from the start.  

#11 of 15 Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM

Anyone watching the results tonight?  I'm anxious to see who goes home.  I'm hoping it's Phillip.  I really don't like him.  I'm pulling for Elise ... not because she's the best singer but I just would buy her record before any of the others.  If it's not Elise then I'm hoping for a Jessica/Joshua finale.

#12 of 15 Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 PM

I watched Missing and flip over at the last minute to see who went. I'm really disappointed. It was my favorite. greensad.gif

#13 of 15 Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencersmom View Post

Anyone watching the results tonight?  I'm anxious to see who goes home.  I'm hoping it's Phillip.  I really don't like him.  I'm pulling for Elise ... not because she's the best singer but I just would buy her record before any of the others.  If it's not Elise then I'm hoping for a Jessica/Joshua finale.

I was hoping it was Phillip too.  

#14 of 15 Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM

Philip is my favorite, everyone else i find kinda boring. Has he even been in the bottom yet? i think he might last til the end. Oh, i like Skylar too...country isnt really my thing but she does it well.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#15 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

No, I don't think he's ever been in the bottom 3.  He could possibly win it.  White men seem to have the edge, and he's the only one left. :D  Sometimes I like Phillip well enough, but in general I don't like his interpretations when he changes the tune. I feel like he makes the melodic line less interesting rather than actually doing something with it.

Tags
Television

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page