Any theories as to why Robin in HIMYM can't have kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The show gives absolutely no information about Robin's medical disorder. All we know is that she thought she was pregnant by Barney, had a test, and was informed by her doctor that she will NEVER be able to have children.

This seems like such a rare disorder, because with most issues that lower fertility, there is still a slim window of opportunity. I'm thinking that for a doctor to be able to tell her, so definitively, that it can never happen, she must have been born without any eggs.

Even if she were going through early menopause, doctors always tell women in menopause to consider that they could become pregnant up until the point at which they haven't had a period for a year. And Robin's period was late but not that late.

Can anyone else think of any medical condition, besides not having eggs or being completely through menopause, that can render a woman totally incapable of having a baby? I've even heard of an occasional pregnancy surviving outside the uterus, so it seems that not even that is 100% necessary.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#2 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it's TV, so I doubt they have a real reason in mind. smile.gif But maybe something anatomical, like no/closed fallopian tubes or hypoplastic uterus? Maybe a genetic thing so that the chromosomes won't match up correctly?

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Moving this on over to the TV forum. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe. It seems weird, though, that the doctor'd be able to detect stuff about the tubes or uterus from a simple pregnancy blood test.

I wouldn't think tube issues could totally rule out the possibility of having kids, because women can and do now have babies using IVF. I'll have to look up hypoplastic uterus.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#5 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Well, it's TV, so I doubt they have a real reason in mind. smile.gif But maybe something anatomical, like no/closed fallopian tubes or hypoplastic uterus? Maybe a genetic thing so that the chromosomes won't match up correctly?

I agree.  I doubt they even have anything particular in mind, it's just a plot point for the show.

#6 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I think it has to be Plot Dependent Infertility Disorder. Lily had a bout of it last season, so I think they just had it lying around the writer's room and didn't want it going to waste.
#7 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

I think it has to be Plot Dependent Infertility Disorder.

That's a great name for it! It's one of the most frustrating medical conditions on television shows!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#8 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post

The show gives absolutely no information about Robin's medical disorder. All we know is that she thought she was pregnant by Barney, had a test, and was informed by her doctor that she will NEVER be able to have children.

This seems like such a rare disorder, because with most issues that lower fertility, there is still a slim window of opportunity. I'm thinking that for a doctor to be able to tell her, so definitively, that it can never happen, she must have been born without any eggs.

I know a woman who was told, definitively, that she couldn't have children. She has four. I suspect this is what MeepyCat called it, but I also think doctors can be very definitive, and very wrong, on this topic.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 PM

My former step-mother was told she couldn't have babies because her uterus was tilted.  Low and behold, when she and my dad had been married for 6 or 7 years, and I was pregnant with my third baby I got a phone call informing me that she was pregnant!  Fast-forward two more years, and the baby wasn't my dad's after all.  But anyway...yeah, doctors can be conclusive, and wrong.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page