Satellite to Netflix/Hulu Plus/Amazon streaming? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hide.gif I'll just get that emoticon right out there. We have satellite and Netflix streaming. After a 10-day winter break spent not watching much TV, we are thinking about cutting out the satellite. Even more so now that I looked up what the bill has crept up to. DH, DD1 and I mostly watch Netflix anyway. DD2 does watch some stuff DVR'd from satellite, and the whole family watches some Cartoon Network shows. Basically we DVR shows & watch them - no aimless channel flipping. Anyone made this switch and what service do you recommend (Hulu, Amazon are the only ones I have heard of)?

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#2 of 15 Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 AM

HI, I am in the same situation.  We started streaming netflix about two months ago and most of the shows we watch our dvr'd.  Usually over the summer I suspend my satellite, and then when winter hits and we are home more, I start it up again.  I'm torn and think I may wait until summer again and see what happens.

#3 of 15 Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I cut cable in February 2012.  We have a Roku box, which allows us to stream many different types of streaming channels, including Pandora for music.  It's an awesome little box!   The Roku channels we use the most, besides Pandora, are: Hulu Plus, which I love and can get most of my favorite network shows the day after they air, and Amazon, which allows me to purchase movies/TV shows that I desperately want to see NOW.  Although you can use Netflix on the Roku, I prefer using it via the Wii, just because the ease of use through the Wii platform.  

My son, 9.5 years, uses predominantly Netflix and has found so many awesome shows (new and old, domestic and foreign) to watch that he never would have found with cable.  And, I have found that I am not really missing anything from my cable days.  Although, I will say that in our cable days, even if we weren't watching something, the TV would still be on in the background.  That is definitely not the case now, which is a wonderful blessing!  And, through Pandora, my son has developed a taste for many new genres of music.    

Oh, and my bill for HuluPlus and Netflix is only $16.98.

#4 of 15 Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh, and a bit illegal, but I am also able to get HBO GO through my Roku box and I use my parents' HBO subscription login information. 

#5 of 15 Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thx, the Roku box sounds perfect! And you can't beat $16. That would save us a bundle. We did get a Wii with gift cards a while back & mostly use that for Netflix. Good to know that the Roku works for the other stuff. Thanks again!

#6 of 15 Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thx, the Roku box sounds perfect! And you can't beat $16. That would save us a bundle. We did get a Wii with gift cards a while back & mostly use that for Netflix. Good to know that the Roku works for the other stuff. Thanks again!

#7 of 15 Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

#8 of 15 Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You can do it! Once you've gotten rid of satellite, you'll feel so much better! You can still watch movies online and with Netflix. I've found that not watching commercials feels like a weight has been lifted. Honestly, once you spend any amount of time away from commercials, you will notice an uncomfortable feeling when you do watch a commercial somewhere. I can't explain why this is, but I just know I feel so much better without commercials in my life!

If you hook a computer up to your television screen, you can still watch "tv"in the same place as usual, making the transition away from satellite much easier.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#9 of 15 Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thx! I agree about the commercials! As it is, we rarely watch anything in real time, so we forward the commercials most of the time anyway.

#10 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 AM

We got rid of our satellite several years ago and just have Netflix (streaming & DVD). There is a lot available. No commercials. No paying for channels we don't ever watch because they are part of the package. We can watch Netflix streaming through our game system, computer or blu-ray player. We can use our same Netflix account to watch stuff away from home as well as long as there is internet access.

It is fine for us. People who visit us sometimes seem a bit lost that they can't just turn the tv on for background noise or channel surf. At our house you have to deliberately choose something to watch.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#11 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 AM

We also use Netflix.  I would recommend the Roku because you can watch the streaming Netflix but you can also buy a movie from Amazon.com instant, for example.  So if we are dying to see a new movie rental, we can pull it up.   It's usually $3.99 but that's fine with us.

I would not recommend Hulu.plus and amazon streaming (like prime).  I would find out which has things you'd like to watch and pick.  They have a lot of over-lapping content.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#12 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 AM

We have been without cable/satellite for over 2 years. We love it. We have Netflix streaming, which we watch through the Wii. The girls will sometimes watch it on their Nook with headphones so as not to disturb each other if they are doing homework.

There is no background noise at all. If the tv is on, it's because we are watching it. If we really want to see a new release, we rent from a local video rental store. We do that about once per month, or less.

Commercials drive me crazy. My parents always have their tv on for noise and even my girls will ask to turn it down or off sometimes. We just aren't used to the constant noise.
#13 of 15 Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 AM

We just got rid of cable and have streaming Netflix which is working out great! I am interested in one of those box things, too, and I do miss not being able to watch in our bedroom easily. The wii is in the family room, so if I want to watch a movie in bed I have to take my laptop in there and hook it up to the tv, set it on the floor....no remote...etc. not very relaxing at all. Not a huge issue, lol, but I do miss that. I only watch tv in bed maybe once a week, and eventually I'll probably get a cheap dvd player and watch redbox movies in there.

My 10yo hasn't complained at all. He has found so many "new" shows on netflix, including the classic Dr. Who, that he loves.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#14 of 15 Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM

Hello, I really enjoy using YouTube, Amazon instant video, Netflix, and Hulu plus to do my television viewing. It sure makes things a lot easier.
#15 of 15 Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM

We love our boxee. Also most shows let you watch shows on their websites (boxee browser lets you do this and we love it)  So we can still watch scifi and main shows that we miss. We do not miss the satalite or the dvr as much as I thought we would.

Tags
Television

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page